From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Subject: Re: Copying files -- Win10 laptop to Android cellphone
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 19:10:25 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 19:10 UTC

MajorLanGod wrote:

> I run WiFiLanServer on my Windows machine, and it's corresonding program
> WiFi PC File Explorer on my phone.

That's interesting that you're running a _server_ on Windows, and the
client on Android, as I usually do the opposite with Wi-Fi PC-Android
(where Windows natively has a client that handles mounting over Wi-Fi).
<https://i.postimg.cc/cJLK1wt0/webdav07.jpg> Nothing needed on the PC!
It's not easy finding that WiFiLanServer you speak of though:
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=wi-fi+lan+server+download+windows>

DuckDuckGo ran out of pages before it found the canonical site.

This isn't likely the canonical site, but it's all that DDG found:
<https://www.downloadsource.net/1773131/wi-fi-lan-server/>

If I wish to test this WiFiLanServer, do you have a URL to the installer?

Likewise with the Android APK, which is just as hard to find it seems:
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=wifilan%20server&c=apps>

Do you have a pointer to the Android APK also, so we can test it out?

> It is strictly a one-way process.

The method I use (nothing on Windows, a server on Android) works both ways.

Wi-Fi can read/write Android filesystems _better_ than can USB (IMHO).
<https://i.postimg.cc/BvJdKWzt/webdav06.jpg> Wi-Fi read/write PC/Android

> I have not found any waay to download or upload files beteen the two
> systems, but Andreoid will use whatever program you select to open the
> file on the windows system for reading.

I'm not sure if you were specifically stating that the method you use
doesn't allow back and forth (read and write) file transfer between Windows
and Android - but certainly most methods allow both read and write.

Generally, if your Android phone isn't rooted, you can only read the system
partition (e.g., you can read/copy the Android hosts file) though.

But you can always read and write to the user partitions.
<https://i.postimg.cc/yYWwgGmy/webdav12.jpg> Read/write to/from PC/Android

> I suppose you could cut and paste
> but haven't needed to try that. As far as I can tell it only operates
> withing the address space that the server is on. If I want to move a file
> to or from my phone I plug in a USB cord connected to my windows system
> and copy it that way.

While USB is both read and write, I find that WebDAV over Wi-Fi is actually
more powerful because you can mount the (normally hidden) system partition.
<https://i.postimg.cc/QtbR1GY0/webdav13.jpg> Wi-Fi more powerful than USB
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to explain Wi-Fi can read/write better than USB.