"Ninety percent of baseball is half mental." -- Yogi Berra

computers / comp.mobile.android / Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A + USB-A + USB-C & GaN with QC & PD specs

SubjectAuthor
* Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A + USB-A + USB-C Andy Burnelli
+* Re: Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A + USB-A + USMajorLanGod
|`* Re: Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A +sms
| `* Re: Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A + USB-A + USnospam
|  `* Re: Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A + USB-A + USAndy Burnelli
|   `- Re: Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A +Alan
+* Re: Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A +Bodger
|`* Re: Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A +sms
| `* Re: Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A +Bodger
|  `- Re: Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A + USB-A + USAndy Burnelli
`- Re: Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A + USB-A + USAndy Burnelli

1
Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A + USB-A + USB-C & GaN with QC & PD specs

<tqjnfj$rg4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36877&group=comp.mobile.android#36877

Followup: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A + USB-A + USB-C & GaN with QC & PD specs
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 16:15:59 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 16:15 UTC

sms wrote:

> badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm looking for a decent wall charger block with one USB-C and two
>> USB-A outputs which will work with iPhone 12 and iPhone 14 and other
>> devices.� I know these have been recommended but they're not exactly
>> what I wanted:
>
> I haven't seen anything like that.
> <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XYNK5TG> is $21.99 but it is two USB-C PD
> and one USB-A.

This post is a plea to those on the newsgroup to help find the charger.

Interesting charger request that the Android owners should be aware of:
1. Steve (sms) is the _finest_ at finding modern charger hardware
2. Badgolferman asked for a USB-A + USB-A + USB-C QC/PD modern GaN charger
3. Steve & I can't find one in a search of Amazon - so we need more help.

If anyone who reads this knows of a modern QC/PD GaN USB-A, USB-A & USB-C
charger (which will charge any Android or Apple phone) please let us know!

I tell it like it is, where Steve is the _best_ out there for such things.
Unlike the iKooks, I'm normal in that I can admit what I don't know, and I
can admit when I make a mistake & I can commend people for adding good
data, which, I openly and publicly admit, sometimes Steve does do.

While Steve often plays his political games (e.g., lying about T-Mobile
coverage and shilling for Verizon and always playing with the statistics,
when it comes to chargers, Steve is the best resource on this newsgroup.

As a result...

I've bought almost every charger that Steve recommends, which is a
testament to Steve's skill and acumen at picking out hardware value.

As a result of following Steve's advice, I have that charger badgolferman.
<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XYNK5TG> I paid about $10 with CA sales tax

And, unlike the iKooks who lie about everything, I don't lie, and I prove
that I have this charger myself with this photo next to some of my iPads.
<https://i.postimg.cc/DzGLSQJr/charger01.jpg> Steve's recommended charger

Here's a shot of the spec as written on the box (the details of which don't
seem to be on Amazon so it's useful to all to show what the full spec is).
<https://i.postimg.cc/v8t77vPX/charger02.jpg> Onko SuperPort S3 III spec

The model number on the charger is: CH-GN67W2C1A (67 watts, three ports).

Always keep in mind that the iKooks like nospam lie with every breath, and
yet, my posts are always credible because I only have two agendas here:
1. Learn from others (like Steve) and teach at the same time (about Apple)
2. Show the iKooks for the despicable unprepossessing liars they truly are

Unfortunately for badgolferman, that's USB-C, USB-C & USB-A, and not USB-A,
USB-A & USB-C; but at least it supports both QC and PD (which is critical).

Android users: If you know of the desired charger, please let us know
because at this point in time, most of our cables are USB-A on one end,
where, at this point in time, two USB-A ports are more useful to many of us
than two USB-C ports (this will change, over time to the other way around).

Badgolferman: If you want to ask questions about it, please do.
(fup to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android as it's not a repair
but the s.e.r folks are the best in the world at finding electronics)
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to ask the Android newsgroup for help finding it.

Re: Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A + USB-A + USB-C & GaN with QC & PD specs

<XnsAF946C751D862lonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.225>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36878&group=comp.mobile.android#36878

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 16:39:36 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 16:39 UTC

Andy Burnelli <spam@nospam.com> wrote in

> sms wrote:
>
>> badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm looking for a decent wall charger block with one USB-C and two
>>> USB-A outputs which will work with iPhone 12 and iPhone 14 and other
>>> devices.� I know these have been recommended but they're not exactly
>>> what I wanted:
>>
> Unfortunately for badgolferman, that's USB-C, USB-C & USB-A, and not
> USB-A, USB-A & USB-C; but at least it supports both QC and PD (which
> is critical).

All the newer high power chargers I have run across are two C and one A
as well. I think it would be an interesting experiment to get a USB-C
male to USB-A female adaptor and see how that performs. It shouldn't do
any damage, the question is whether or not it would allow the higher
power pass through.

Re: Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A + USB-A + USB-C & GaN with QC & PD specs

<o2ezL.513597$9sn9.51038@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36879&group=comp.mobile.android#36879

Subject: Re: Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A +
USB-A + USB-C & GaN with QC & PD specs
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
From: nob...@nowh.ere (Bodger)
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 12:06:26 -0500
 by: Bodger - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 17:06 UTC

On 1/22/2023 11:15 AM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> sms wrote:
>
>> badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm looking for a decent wall charger block with one USB-C and two
>>> USB-A outputs which will work with iPhone 12 and iPhone 14 and other
>>> devices.� I know these have been recommended but they're not exactly
>>> what I wanted:
snip...

I was going to recommend "Amazon Basics 100W Four-Port GaN Wall Charger
with 2 USB-C Ports (65W + 18W) and 2 USB-A Ports (17W) - Black (non-PPS)"
to give it its full Amazon description. I've been using mine for a while
now and can confirm that it is excellent and works well on 220 50Hz in the
UK as well as in daily use in the US and my LG laptop doesn't complain
about its power output. Unfortunately when I looked up my old purchase on
Amazon they pop up a totally different unit with only type C connectors. Oh
well...

Re: Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A + USB-A + USB-C & GaN with QC & PD specs

<tqjqn5$591$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36880&group=comp.mobile.android#36880

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
USB-A + USB-C & GaN with QC & PD specs
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 09:11:00 -0800
 by: sms - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 17:11 UTC

On 1/22/2023 9:06 AM, Bodger wrote:
> On 1/22/2023 11:15 AM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
>> sms wrote:

> snip...
>
> I was going to recommend "Amazon Basics 100W Four-Port GaN Wall Charger
> with 2 USB-C Ports (65W + 18W) and 2 USB-A Ports (17W) - Black
> (non-PPS)" to give it its full Amazon description. I've been using mine
> for a while now and can confirm that it is excellent and works well on
> 220 50Hz in the UK as well as in daily use in the US and my LG laptop
> doesn't complain about its power output. Unfortunately when I looked up
> my old purchase on Amazon they pop up a totally different unit with only
> type C connectors. Oh well...

They still have it <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087MFJY22/> but it's more
than the OP wanted to spend, and it's pretty large.

Re: Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A + USB-A + USB-C & GaN with QC & PD specs

<ykezL.51874$b7Kc.8772@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36881&group=comp.mobile.android#36881

USB-A + USB-C & GaN with QC & PD specs
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
From: nob...@nowh.ere (Bodger)
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 12:25:49 -0500
 by: Bodger - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 17:25 UTC

On 1/22/2023 12:11 PM, sms wrote:
> On 1/22/2023 9:06 AM, Bodger wrote:

>> snip...
>>
>> I was going to recommend "Amazon Basics 100W Four-Port GaN Wall Charger
>> with 2 USB-C Ports (65W + 18W) and 2 USB-A Ports (17W) - Black (non-PPS)"
>> to give it its full Amazon description. I've been using mine for a while
>> now and can confirm that it is excellent and works well on 220 50Hz in
>> the UK as well as in daily use in the US and my LG laptop doesn't
>> complain about its power output. Unfortunately when I looked up my old
>> purchase on Amazon they pop up a totally different unit with only type C
>> connectors. Oh well...
>
> They still have it <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087MFJY22/> but it's more
> than the OP wanted to spend, and it's pretty large.

I didn't bother to look any further. Waiting for my lunch burritos to
microwave I did notice
https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Hyphen-X-Charging-Laptops-Compatible/dp/B08X42DRMR
which looks essentially identical to my old Amazon Basics one except that
it has an indicator LED on the front. Price is $50 but the size it unknown
to me at the moment.

I figure that my original is just fine for travel and it fits in my
backpack along with the associated cables and plug adapter and USB power
analyzer and a 20,000mAh power bank and drone and its spare batteries and
an action camera and a panorama head and a travel tripod and all of those
don't seem to slow me down and I'm 75 years old. How bloody small does a
charger need to be?

Re: Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A + USB-A + USB-C & GaN with QC & PD specs

<tqk0b0$n5v$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36885&group=comp.mobile.android#36885

Followup: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 18:47:07 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 18:47 UTC

Bodger wrote:

> notice
> https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Hyphen-X-Charging-Laptops-Compatible/dp/B08X42DRMR
> which looks essentially identical to my old Amazon Basics one except that
> it has an indicator LED on the front. Price is $50 but the size it unknown
> to me at the moment.

Thank you for finding _both_ those 4-port GaN chargers (2x USB-C, 2x
USB-A), each of which fits the need for at least two USB-A ports!

The main problem that I see with the first one is only that it doesn't seem
to support QC charging (which, to me, makes a charger instantly worthless).
<https://i.postimg.cc/9FCfT60g/charger03.jpg> 4-port B087MFJY22 2C & 2A
<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08X42DRMR/>

Note: In the future, the number of PD devices in your home may likely
supersede the QC devices, but for now, both are needed for many of us.

Luckily, your 2nd selection _does_ support both charging specs (PD & QC)!
<https://i.postimg.cc/63hntrBm/charger04.jpg> 4-port supports both QC & PD
<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08X42DRMR/>/

Woo hoo! Great find! Everyone will benefit (which is the goal, after all).

These are the output specs of your second find as far as I can tell:
USB-C1/USB-C2 port: 5V/3A, 9V/3A, 12V/3A, 15V/3A, 20V/5A
USB-A1/USB-A2 port: 4.5V/5A, 5V/4.5A, 9V/3A, 12V/2.5A, 20V/1.5A

To add on-topic technical value to this conversation, here's a review:
<https://www.mbreviews.com/hyphen-x-100w-gan-charger-review/>

Where, in that review, they instrumented heat & power specs checks:
<https://www.mbreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/hyphen-x-100w-charger-5.jpg>
<https://www.mbreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/hyphen-x-100w-charger-2.jpg>

> I figure that my original is just fine for travel and it fits in my
> backpack along with the associated cables and plug adapter and USB power
> analyzer and a 20,000mAh power bank and drone and its spare batteries and
> an action camera and a panorama head and a travel tripod and all of those
> don't seem to slow me down and I'm 75 years old. How bloody small does a
> charger need to be?

I'm with you that a charger doesn't "need" to be small, especially when
it's replacing three or four separate (almost worthless) one-port chargers.

The charger I own was bought on Steve's recommendation on this newsgroup,
which I was able to purchase for $9 (about $10 with California sales tax).
<https://i.postimg.cc/DzGLSQJr/charger01.jpg> 3-port QA & PC GaN charger
<https://i.postimg.cc/v8t77vPX/charger02.jpg> 3-port model CH-GN67W2C1A
<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XYNK5TG>

I've been watching it for a month, ever since Steve recommended it at the
$9 price, and the price fluctuates extremely wildly - almost weekly so.

The only problem I see with that 67 Watt GaN 3-port charger is it's long
and heavy... to the point of imbalance when multiple cords are connected.

It tips over too easily; and, of course, it doesn't have two USB-A ports,
which, for the next couple of years, is perhaps more useful than two USB-C.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to summarize the suitable chargers so far proposed.

(added s.e.r just for this summary - so they can benefit without posts)

Re: Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A + USB-A + USB-C & GaN with QC & PD specs

<tqk242$1gdc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36887&group=comp.mobile.android#36887

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
USB-A + USB-C & GaN with QC & PD specs
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 11:17:21 -0800
 by: sms - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 19:17 UTC

On 1/22/2023 8:39 AM, MajorLanGod wrote:

<snip>

> All the newer high power chargers I have run across are two C and one A
> as well. I think it would be an interesting experiment to get a USB-C
> male to USB-A female adaptor and see how that performs. It shouldn't do
> any damage, the question is whether or not it would allow the higher
> power pass through.

The issue is that the USB-C connector has four power and ground pairs,
while the USB-A connector has only one power and ground pair.

For a Lightning device, which has only one power and ground pair in use
(each side of the Lightning connector has a pair but only one is used at
a time) it would be okay, but for a device that makes use of the
multiple power and ground pairs in USB-C, it would not work at higher
power. This is the main reason why Apple has been moving to USB-C on
iPads. There will also be a benefit for iPhone if they want to move to
the higher charge rates that are already available on some Android
devices, besides the other advantages of USB-C over Lightning.

Re: Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A + USB-A + USB-C & GaN with QC & PD specs

<220120231428475675%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36888&group=comp.mobile.android#36888

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 14:28:47 -0500
 by: nospam - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 19:28 UTC

In article <tqk242$1gdc$1@gioia.aioe.org>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> For a Lightning device, which has only one power and ground pair in use
> (each side of the Lightning connector has a pair but only one is used at
> a time) it would be okay, but for a device that makes use of the
> multiple power and ground pairs in USB-C, it would not work at higher
> power. This is the main reason why Apple has been moving to USB-C on
> iPads.

nope. the reason apple has been moving to usb-c for ipads is the use
case for them is often connecting various accessories, such as external
displays, hard drives, etc.

that's very different from iphones, which have minimal benefit for
usb-c.

> There will also be a benefit for iPhone if they want to move to
> the higher charge rates that are already available on some Android
> devices, besides the other advantages of USB-C over Lightning.

also wrong.

Re: Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A + USB-A + USB-C & GaN with QC & PD specs

<tqk6j9$1f8h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36891&group=comp.mobile.android#36891

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 20:33:56 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 20:33 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> There will also be a benefit for iPhone if they want to move to
>> the higher charge rates that are already available on some Android
>> devices, besides the other advantages of USB-C over Lightning.
>
> also wrong.

Besides the obvious fact the lightning cable has been deemed worthless...

Does that worthless lightning cable support the current needed to attain
the highest charge rates of Android flagships Steve is alluding to, nospam?

Re: Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A + USB-A + USB-C & GaN with QC & PD specs

<tqk6vo$38051$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36892&group=comp.mobile.android#36892

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
USB-A + USB-C & GaN with QC & PD specs
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 12:40:24 -0800
 by: Alan - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 20:40 UTC

On 2023-01-22 12:33, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>>> There will also be a benefit for iPhone if they want to move to the
>>> higher charge rates that are already available on some Android
>>> devices, besides the other advantages of USB-C over Lightning.
>>
>> also wrong.
>
> Besides the obvious fact the lightning cable has been deemed worthless...

By whom?

Re: Modern high-wattage cross compatible wall charger needed (USB-A + USB-A + USB-C & GaN with QC & PD specs

<tqrk38$22j17$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36960&group=comp.mobile.android#36960

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 16:07:16 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 16:07 UTC

sms wrote:

> This is the charger I take on trips if I take my laptop:
> <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091Z6JNX4>.

Steve is the acknowledged expert on chargers on the smartphone newsgroups.
In fact, I usually buy some of the chargers he has recommended over time.

Here's a summary of some of the various multi-port chargers found so far.

<https://i.postimg.cc/8kFrtZNL/charger06.jpg> 3-port USB-A, USB-A, USB-C
<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WLS4GJY>

<https://i.postimg.cc/KzXDyTBY/charger07.jpg> 4-port three USB-C & 1 USB-A
<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091Z6JNX4>
<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6PHT926>

> For trips where I just take the iPad, watch, and phones, I use this one:
> <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XYNK5TG> though it actually does power the
> laptop as well.

For the $10 I got that charger for, on recommendation from Steve, it's
great; but I wouldn't spend much more only because its long form factor
makes it tip easily out of a wall when three cables are attached to it.
<https://i.postimg.cc/DzGLSQJr/charger01.jpg> 3-port QA & PC GaN charger