From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Memory full
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 15:21:40 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 14:21 UTC

Hi all,

A friend of mine has a Samsung Tab A (2016) Tablet. It's internal memory
is full. Many pictures. The SD card is empty.
Does it make sense to install a file explorer and move all the pictures
to the SD card?

Many thanks in advance.

Fokke Nauta

Re: Memory full

<tqor6i$1mrj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36937&group=comp.mobile.android#36937

From: david-ta...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid (David Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Memory full
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 14:49:54 +0000
 by: David Taylor - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 14:49 UTC

On 24/01/2023 14:21, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A friend of mine has a Samsung Tab A (2016) Tablet. It's internal memory
> is full. Many pictures. The SD card is empty.
> Does it make sense to install a file explorer and move all the pictures
> to the SD card?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Fokke Nauta

Fokke,

It makes sense to have something more permanent as a storage medium for valued
images. I would want to have them stored on something safer, but an SD card is
a good start.

I don't know whether the Samsung would allow such transfers, so perhaps a
3rd-party app might be best. You may also be able to connect the device
directly to a computer over a USB link and transfer to a computer that way (and
hence to more computers), but that might be slower.

I've used FTP over wireless with File Manager+.

File Manager+
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alphainventor.filemanager&hl=en_GB&gl=US

DropBox may also useful.

--
Cheers,
David

Re: Memory full

<tqoslv$1n2r8$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36939&group=comp.mobile.android#36939

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 15:15:23 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 15:15 UTC

David Taylor wrote:

> It makes sense to have something more permanent as a storage medium for valued
> images. I would want to have them stored on something safer, but an SD card is
> a good start.

Oh Jesus.

Here we go again with the Apple trolls always harping on the fact that
_they_ don't have the choice of sd cards for photos, so they _hate_ that
Android and Windows owners _have_ the choice of copying back & forth.

These are all the same trolls posting the same drivel over & over again.
Happens all the time.
a. Recently we discussed Apple doesn't have sd cards on the iOS ng.
b. And we discussed how _easy_ it is to copy photos over USB to Windows.
c. Vehemently, the iKooks claim nobody wants sd cards & that they suck.
d. Viciously they claim nobody would want to use USB - they use iCloud.
e. They claim Apple didn't put sd because Apple wanted reliable memory.
f. And then they claim that it's too difficult to copy photos to Windows.
g. They say nobody wants sd & they say nobody wants USB copy to Windows.

In response:
A. It's shown 3/4 of current Android models have sd because people want it.
Of 2,066 Android models sold in the past three years, 1,486 have sd.
<https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3?nYearMin=2019&sAvailabilities=1&sOSes=2>
<https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3?nYearMin=2019&sAvailabilities=1&sOSes=2&idCardslot=1>
B. And it's shown that USB copy to Windows is so easy, it just works.
<https://i.postimg.cc/9FJMKYch/scrcpy21.jpg> Drive Letter <===> Android
C. The iKooks _hate_ the fact Android/Windows works so well and so freely.
D. And then it's stated that almost nobody on Android/Windows complains.
E. So what do they do - complain incessantly on the Android/Windows ngs.

Their modus operandi is the following in three steps:
1. On Apple ngs, they are told nobody on Android/Windows is complaining
about the problems that the iKooks say is why Apple gave no choice.
2. So what they do is they post those complaints onto Android/Windows ngs.
(like they did last week, and like they're doing this week right now)
4. The complaints are always what was discussed on the Apple newsgroups
as something Windows users don't claim about (USB file transfer),
and as something Android users don't complain about (sd storage).

The approach is three parts:
i. Throw out a "seemingly real" but always super vague "problem"
ii. When kind-hearted people try to "help" them, they throw hurdle
after hurdle after hurdle after hurdle - always nonsensically so.
iii. Their ultimate payload is always "I'm leaving for Apple!"
(ostensibly by not having the choice - they don't have the issues)

Happened last week. Happened just now.
Just watch.

Re: Memory full

<k3akrhF7506U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36942&group=comp.mobile.android#36942

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 19:03:30 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 18:03 UTC

On 24/01/2023 15:49, David Taylor wrote:
> On 24/01/2023 14:21, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> A friend of mine has a Samsung Tab A (2016) Tablet. It's internal memory
>> is full. Many pictures. The SD card is empty.
>> Does it make sense to install a file explorer and move all the pictures
>> to the SD card?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance.
>>
>> Fokke Nauta
>
> Fokke,
>
> It makes sense to have something more permanent as a storage medium for
> valued images.  I would want to have them stored on something safer, but
> an SD card is a good start.

OK, thanks. I'll first move them to the SD card. And then buy a USB
stick with plenty of room or an external hard disk.

> I don't know whether the Samsung would allow such transfers, so perhaps
> a 3rd-party app might be best.  You may also be able to connect the
> device directly to a computer over a USB link and transfer to a computer
> that way (and hence to more computers), but that might be slower.

I don't know as to when they have a pc.

> I've used FTP over wireless with File Manager+.
>
> File Manager+
>
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alphainventor.filemanager&hl=en_GB&gl=US

OK, that's a good idea.
On my own Samsung smartphone I use a SSH server, with FTP on my pc. Also
wireless and it works well. The only thing to be aware of is to make
sure that the Android device gets a fixes IP address from the router. I
managed to do that at my own home, but not sure if I could manage to do
so with the router of my friend.

> DropBox may also useful.

I'll have a look at that.

Fokke

Re: Memory full

<tqpbca$1p2lf$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36943&group=comp.mobile.android#36943

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 19:26:14 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 19:26 UTC

Fokke Nauta wrote:

> A friend of mine has a Samsung Tab A (2016) Tablet. It's internal memory
> is full. Many pictures. The SD card is empty.
> Does it make sense to install a file explorer and move all the pictures
> to the SD card?

The response below is to help everyone with this problem.
Just in case I'm wrong, and therefore just in case this is real.

Same question as last week, so the same questions need to be answered.
How big is your friend's sd card?
How is that sd card formatted? [portable or non-portable or a mix]
How much permanent internal storage memory does the tablet have?
What exactly is taking up all that memory (maybe it's not photos)?
How much memory are your friend's photos/videos alone taking up?
What camera app does your friend use?
Does that camera app have an option to store the photos on sd card?
What file app is your friend using?
Can your friend "find" the DCIM/Camera directory with that file app?
Is your friend willing to install another file app if necessary?

Given this *Fokke Nauta* & *David Taylor* & *Java Jive* & *jetcock*
are all one and the same, there's no doubt this is their troll thread
to eventually claim that the crippled iPhone, since it doesn't even
have internally expandable memory capabilities, is what they want.
a. Usually they claim they can't find their DCIM files on Android
b. Usually they claim that the sd card storage is unreliable & complex
c. Usually they claim that Android/Windows is too complex for them
etc.

It's what they do.
They're not smart enough to do otherwise.

Nonetheless.... let's play this charade through where I'll pretend in my
response below that this "friend of a friend" question is honest and as
such it's not designed just to waste our time... shall we?

There _is_ a general advantage to Windows & Android users alike in knowing
how many fantastic solutions to these kinds of problems exist out there,
where I've specialized, so to speak, in cross platform compatibility
between Windows and Android - which is why the Windows ng is added here.

Let's start this charade, shall we...

Hi "Fokke Nauta",
I hope you're doing well after the last few times you had these same
problems. Now it's your friend who has the problem. That's a bummer.

But I will try to help you because I always help every poster I can.
And I'm sure the team will pitch in to add where I omitted advice.

I don't know anything about this Samsung Tab A (2016) but I assume it has a
small internal memory - does it not? How much internal memory does it have?

What operating system is it running?
Does your friend have access to a Windows PC with an available USB ports?

Can you kindly post a screenshot (or ask your friend to do it for us) of
what it says in the Settings > Battery & device care > Memory

If he says it's too much work to tell us anything to help him solve his
problem, show him this screenshot of what my memory is telling me.
<https://i.postimg.cc/HsMSRzz8/memory01.jpg> Android memory storage

Notice I ran that memory test, over Wi-Fi, from Windows, without using
USB, simply because Windows and Android work seamlessly with each other.

If I can post a screenshot in trying to help your friend, the least he can
do is answer the questions I have so that we can together solve his issues.

Once we determine together, as a team, _what_ is taking up all his memory,
only then can we determine what the best solution to his problems would be.

We don't want him going over to the dark side in frustration, now do we?

Re: Memory full

<tqpe18$8nm8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36944&group=comp.mobile.android#36944

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 12:11:19 -0800
 by: Alan - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 20:11 UTC

On 2023-01-24 07:15, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> David Taylor wrote:
>
>> It makes sense to have something more permanent as a storage medium
>> for valued images.  I would want to have them stored on something
>> safer, but an SD card is a good start.
>
> Oh Jesus.
> Here we go again with...

....you offering absolutely nothing of value.

Re: Memory full

<tqpev8$1ph37$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36945&group=comp.mobile.android#36945

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 20:27:32 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 20:27 UTC

Fokke Nauta wrote:

>> It makes sense to have something more permanent as a storage medium for
>> valued images.� I would want to have them stored on something safer, but
>> an SD card is a good start.
>
> OK, thanks. I'll first move them to the SD card.

Is it your friend your you with this problem?

> And then buy a USB stick with plenty of room or an external hard disk.

If you're desirous of archiving the photos, you don't need to have the
memory card in the middle (unless it's how you want to do it, that is).

Why not plug the tablet into the PC and just move the photos to whatever
storage is hanging off that PC (which could be a 5TB USB disk for example).

It's iOS that is crippled when you do that.
Android just works.

>> I don't know whether the Samsung would allow such transfers, so perhaps
>> a 3rd-party app might be best.� You may also be able to connect the
>> device directly to a computer over a USB link and transfer to a computer
>> that way (and hence to more computers), but that might be slower.
>
> I don't know as to when they have a pc.

Doesn't it seem strange that "David Taylor" would say such a thing as
Samsung wouldn't allow you to transfer your photos? That's nuts.

Since you're all of the people who posted, save for me, can you explain the
logic of why you replied to yourself saying such a crazy thing as that?

Why would Samsung care how you moved your photos off the tablet?
You're too used to Apple who _does_ care to cripple the device to prevent
you from doing exactly that which is what you want to be doing.

It's iOS that is crippled when you connect it to a Windows PC.
Android just works.
>> I've used FTP over wireless with File Manager+.
>>
>> File Manager+
>>
>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alphainventor.filemanager&hl=en_GB&gl=US
>
> OK, that's a good idea.

I wouldn't use that one because it has ads, but you do what you want.
Every file manager, including the one that came with the tablet, will work.

All you're doing is moving files.
On iOS that's crippled - but on Android there are a billion ways.

> On my own Samsung smartphone I use a SSH server, with FTP on my pc. Also
> wireless and it works well.

Yes. You've said this before.
At least you're consistent.

Nobody else does it that way - but you're welcome to do it if it works.
And there's no reason it shouldn't work.

On iOS, the file system isn't accessible to the user.
On Android, it just works.

> The only thing to be aware of is to make
> sure that the Android device gets a fixed IP address from the router.

I randomize my MAC address on every connection, and my router can't handle
that and a static IP address at the same time - so that's why I use a fixed
address for my Wi-Fi connection to Android - because the router works off
of MAC addresses - that's why.

But it works fine, even with randomized MAC address on every connection if
I use a dynamic IP address on Android. I just have to always look to see
what it is, so it's easier for me to have a static IP address on Android.

But it works either way.

But you're not randomizing your MAC address on every connection, right?
And your router can hand out a static IP address, right?
And even if it can't, your Android can request a fixed IP address, right?

So what's the problem you're trying to solve with the fixed IP address?
It works any way you want it to work.

Bear in mind, Android has no problem either way.
So it's fine that you fix your IP address.

But your Android SSH server should be able to figure out its IP address.

> managed to do that at my own home, but not sure if I could manage to do
> so with the router of my friend.

For years, I used an Android WebDav server without having a fixed IP
address on Android. It works fine as long as you start the Android server
on that IP address, whatever it is at any given time point.

The only reason I make my IP address on Android static is that my router
hands out the IP addresses by MAC address and yet I randomize my MAC
address on every connection - so it's just _easier_ for me to use the same
IP address all the time.

But it works with or without a static IP address.

>> DropBox may also useful.
>
> I'll have a look at that.

Payload?