From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: wall charger needed
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 13:07:25 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 13:07 UTC

badgolferman wrote:

> I ended up ordering this charger along with appropriate 6-foot cables
> and a PD car charger:
> USB C Charger, 40W 3 Port USB C Charging Station, PD Fast Charger $24.99
> https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Charging-Station-Multiport-Adapter/dp/B09WLS4GJY

Hi badgolferman,

Thanks for updating us with a summary as I haven't visited this thread in a
while myself, where it's always good to get a summary from the OP.

That twenty-five dollar charger seems perfect for your stated needs of two
USB-A & one USB-C ports, and outputting the PD specs, albeit it's a bit
more pricey and probably slightly larger than you originally desired.

> It's compact enough to cover only one outlet on the wall receptacle and
> with three cables attached still stays connected without falling out.

That's an important criteria, as I found out with the "long" chargers.

> The phone also seems to charge faster so I don't even really need to
> leave it in all night like with the old charger.

Isn't it WONDERFUL! I _love_ that my phone charges in half an hour.
I don't even plug it in at night anymore. Only if it needs it.

I love modern batteries & modern PD/QC charging specs!

> I assume(?) the power
> management of the phone and charger will shut off the charging as
> appropriate.

We've discussed this in other thread where _you_ have some control over
whether or not you want "adaptive" charging to take into account your use
patterns and whether or not you wish to limit the top end to extend the
lifetime "age" of the battery.

The bigger the battery (in terms of capacity), the longer the age (all
other things being equal) - but you're stuck with whatever size you have.

Unfortunately, iPhone batteries are of smaller capacity to start with, so
you're stuck with a lifetime that is lower than most - but you can manage
it well with those adaptations.
> Whether I got the best device possible or some cheap Chinese junk
> remains to be seen, but for now it seems to fit my needs and the value
> was acceptable.

Most people "buy scared" in almost everything they buy, not the least being
most iPhone owners (who buy into that they want Apple to protect them).

But it's not just iPhone owners who buy scared as most people do that.
That's why "return" policies exist.
That's why "warranty" policies exist.
That's why "brand names" exist.
That's why "standards" exist.
That's why "licenses" exist.
That's why "safety approvals" exist.
That's why "ratings" exist.
That's why "reviews" exist.
etc.

You are _already_ protected by most of that above, are you not?

Given that, IMHO, it's OK to not "buy scared" when the item is a
twenty-five dollar item that, if it fails, it will most likely just "not
work".

Of course, if it fries your expensive iPhone, then it matters.
But that isn't likely to happen given it must have safety approvals.

And, of course, if it arrives dead on arrival, that's what return policies
are for. If it dies in six months, that's what warranty policies are for.

And, if it dies in a few years, that's what money is for.
You just buy a new one.

The people who warn you not to buy it either know something you don't know
about it (and generally, they do not), or they're just ignorantly scared.

I wouldn't worry unless you knew something about it, but then that's what
the ratings are for.

Note that I'm in multiple car forums, e.g., the BMW forums and Toyota
forums, and Honda forums, where people are just plain scared.

They ask "what oil" so many times because they believe the bullshit.
They ask "what gas" all the time because they believe the bullshit.
They ask "oem parts or not" because they believe the bullshit.

They're all scared and stupid. It goes together.

In your case, the "risk" is twenty five bucks.
And even that isn't risked for a year or so depending on the warranty.

Good luck. I sincerely appreciate that you helped all of us answer the
question of what is a decent dual USB-A port PD charger, and I think you
found a nice one that I might buy myself if I ever need to get another.