Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 21:03:00 -0400
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gimp
From: forget...@invalid.org (bad sector)
Subject: minor gimp bug
 by: bad sector - Wed, 19 Oct 2022 01:03 UTC

I don't do much graphics but while making a snow-removal time chart for
the coming season I was unable to get font thickness in calendar images
to match ones taken from the same source days earlier. The snapshot here

https://i.imgur.com/cg96u1H.png

shows the image that threw me off on top. Note how the top right month
fonts SEEM to be thinner. The problem is solved on the bottom where the
font thicknesses match.

It took me a while of turning blue in the face but the short of the long
is that the top image was immediately after pasting but before a save
*and reload*. Once reloaded the difference is gone.

HTH

Re: minor gimp bug

<k1kvkhthl72lm6r1if4403u31fllg52bpe@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=38&group=comp.graphics.apps.gimp#38

From: not.in....@invalid.xor (lisa)
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gimp
Subject: Re: minor gimp bug
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 12:27:27 +0200
 by: lisa - Wed, 19 Oct 2022 10:27 UTC

On Tue, 18 Oct 2022 21:03:00 -0400, bad sector <forgetski@invalid.org>
wrote:

> The snapshot here
>
>https://i.imgur.com/cg96u1H.png
>

>It took me a while of turning blue in the face but the short of the long
>is that the top image was immediately after pasting but before a save
>*and reload*. Once reloaded the difference is gone.

I can't reproduce your bug.
What fonttype and settings did you use?

--

Even miracles take a little time

Re: minor gimp bug

<psKdnVcEAcYxI83-nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=39&group=comp.graphics.apps.gimp#39

Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 23:20:59 -0400
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gimp
From: forget...@invalid.org (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Thu, 20 Oct 2022 03:20 UTC

On 10/19/22 06:27, lisa wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2022 21:03:00 -0400, bad sector <forgetski@invalid.org>
> wrote:
>
>> The snapshot here
>>
>> https://i.imgur.com/cg96u1H.png
>>

>> It took me a while of turning blue in the face but the short of the long
>> is that the top image was immediately after pasting but before a save
>> *and reload*. Once reloaded the difference is gone.
>
> I can't reproduce your bug.
> What fonttype and settings did you use?
>
> --
>
> Even miracles take a little time

I didn't use fonts as such, the image from which I copied and pasted had
the same font sizes on all calendar pages (months).

here:
https://www.calendrier-imprimer.fr/calendrier/2022/calendrier-mensuel-2022-modele-01.jpg

1
Make a canvas several times its size

2
Holding shift copy the date numbers with the fuzzy selector

3
Paste the lot into the new blank canvas

4
Save the new image

5
Reload it

6
Repeat 2 & 3, note numbers NOT same size

7
Save out again

8
Reload, now number ARE same size

The difference is not big BUT definitely noticeable
as in my imgurs.

Had me tearing hair I don't have for an hour :-)

Re: minor gimp bug

<d772lhht5an68mr755jk1ng5urgdvomh4v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=40&group=comp.graphics.apps.gimp#40

From: not.in....@invalid.xor (lisa)
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gimp
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 12:11:00 +0200
 by: lisa - Thu, 20 Oct 2022 10:11 UTC

On Wed, 19 Oct 2022 23:20:59 -0400, bad sector <forgetski@invalid.org>
wrote:
>I didn't use fonts as such, the image from which I copied and pasted had
>the same font sizes on all calendar pages (months).
>
>here:
>https://www.calendrier-imprimer.fr/calendrier/2022/calendrier-mensuel-2022-modele-01.jpg
>
>1
>Make a canvas several times its size
>
>2
>Holding shift copy the date numbers with the fuzzy selector
>
>3
>Paste the lot into the new blank canvas
>
>4
>Save the new image
>
>5
>Reload it
>
>6
>Repeat 2 & 3, note numbers NOT same size
>
>7
>Save out again
>
>8
>Reload, now number ARE same size
>

>The difference is not big BUT definitely noticeable
>as in my imgurs.

yes, it's noticeable.

interesting problem :D

step 1
My Gimp don't like the size of that picture ( about 3500 by 2500 ).
I resized it.

step 2
A never ending number selecting.
I did it sneakier. Added transparency to the layer.
A fuzzy color select on white and grey.
Erasing the remaining lines is not much work.
Select all and copy.

Paste it, saved it, reloaded it.
Repeated my step 2.
Pasted it between the calender numbers ( fits nice between them and
make it very easy to compare ). No difference.

Okay, let's try it more difficult and select the numbers one by one.
Copied them in between and aside.
The end result : still no difference.

You have a difference, but if it's Gimp related?
Even with a 10000 by 7500 template no difference.
I'm using the lastest stable Gimp version.

Re: minor gimp bug

<m6KcneFJFdDHCcz-nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=42&group=comp.graphics.apps.gimp#42

From: forget...@invalid.org (bad sector)
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gimp
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 18:32:58 +0000
 by: bad sector - Thu, 20 Oct 2022 18:32 UTC

On Thu, 20 Oct 2022 12:11:00 +0200, lisa wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Oct 2022 23:20:59 -0400, bad sector <forgetski@invalid.org>
> wrote:
>>I didn't use fonts as such, the image from which I copied and pasted had
>>the same font sizes on all calendar pages (months).
>>
>>here:
>>https://www.calendrier-imprimer.fr/calendrier/2022/calendrier-
mensuel-2022-modele-01.jpg

>>1
>>Make a canvas several times its size
>>
>>2
>>Holding shift copy the date numbers with the fuzzy selector
>>
>>3
>>Paste the lot into the new blank canvas
>>
>>4
>>Save the new image
>>
>>5
>>Reload it
>>
>>6
>>Repeat 2 & 3, note numbers NOT same size
>>
>>7
>>Save out again
>>
>>8
>>Reload, now number ARE same size
>>

>>The difference is not big BUT definitely noticeable as in my imgurs.
>
> yes, it's noticeable.
>
> interesting problem :D
>
> step 1 My Gimp don't like the size of that picture ( about 3500 by 2500
> ).
> I resized it.
>
> step 2 A never ending number selecting.
> I did it sneakier. Added transparency to the layer.
> A fuzzy color select on white and grey.
> Erasing the remaining lines is not much work.
> Select all and copy.

Done that too, I found best results with the procedure
I quoted; I'm retired so I'm in no hurry :-)

> Paste it, saved it, reloaded it.
> Repeated my step 2.
> Pasted it between the calender numbers ( fits nice between them and make
> it very easy to compare ). No difference.
>
> Okay, let's try it more difficult and select the numbers one by one.
> Copied them in between and aside.
> The end result : still no difference.
>
> You have a difference, but if it's Gimp related?
> Even with a 10000 by 7500 template no difference.
> I'm using the lastest stable Gimp version.

I don't remember the gimp version because I don't
know which one of my seven Linux systems I was using,
I presume it's a fairly recent one. Other than that
it's no big deal since I only do these calendars once
a year, posted mostly for devs if interested.

Machine is AMD-FX 8-core, 16gb, with nvidia geforce-640