Did you know that for the price of a 280-Z you can buy two Z-80's? -- P. J. Plauger

computers / alt.online-service.comcast / Downloading Very Old eMails From Comcast Server: How, Please ?

SubjectAuthor
* Downloading Very Old eMails From Comcast Server: How, Please ?Robert11
`* Re: Downloading Very Old eMails From Comcast Server: How, Please ?Frank
 `* Re: Downloading Very Old eMails From Comcast Server: How, Please ?John Weiss
  +- Re: Downloading Very Old eMails From Comcast Server: How, Please ?Robert11
  `* Re: Downloading Very Old eMails From Comcast Server: How, Please ?Robert11
   +- Re: Downloading Very Old eMails From Comcast Server: How, Please ?John Weiss
   `- Re: Downloading Very Old eMails From Comcast Server: How, Please ?Char Jackson

1
Downloading Very Old eMails From Comcast Server: How, Please ?

<c72c6f43-745a-436c-871d-7a14ad299a4dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=370&group=alt.online-service.comcast#370

Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 07:15:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Downloading Very Old eMails From Comcast Server: How, Please ?
From: rgsro...@gmail.com (Robert11)
 by: Robert11 - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 14:15 UTC

Hello,

Would be most appreciative for any help with this.
Can't begin to tell how many hrs, Forums, and Groups I've tried, all
without any luck.

I have a pc and a MAC.
Each uses the "native" Mail App that came with it.
My eMails are being (automatically) downloaded to both from Comcast.
Works well.
Our Comcast account with them is an IMAP.

So, all my old eMails are stored on their Servers, presumably forever. True ?

I would like to download last years, and perhaps another yr. going back, old eMails to one, or both, of my computers.

Cannot find any way of doing it. Is there ?

Any suggestions would be Very appreciated.
In my 80's now, and although I hate to admit it, I miss many nuances these days. So, very explicit and detailed instructions would really be helpful.

Much thanks; very appreciated,
Bob

Re: Downloading Very Old eMails From Comcast Server: How, Please ?

<tc8smo$10kko$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=371&group=alt.online-service.comcast#371

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 11:49:42 -0400
 by: Frank - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 15:49 UTC

On 8/1/2022 10:15 AM, Robert11 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Would be most appreciative for any help with this.
> Can't begin to tell how many hrs, Forums, and Groups I've tried, all
> without any luck.
>
> I have a pc and a MAC.
> Each uses the "native" Mail App that came with it.
> My eMails are being (automatically) downloaded to both from Comcast.
> Works well.
> Our Comcast account with them is an IMAP.
>
> So, all my old eMails are stored on their Servers, presumably forever. True ?
>
> I would like to download last years, and perhaps another yr. going back, old eMails to one, or both, of my computers.
>
> Cannot find any way of doing it. Is there ?
>
> Any suggestions would be Very appreciated.
> In my 80's now, and although I hate to admit it, I miss many nuances these days. So, very explicit and detailed instructions would really be helpful.
>
> Much thanks; very appreciated,
> Bob

I use Mozilla Thunderbird for email and if I delete an email or move it
to a folder in Thunderbird it is deleted from Comcast email. If I leave
it in the inbox, it stays.

Log into your email on the Comcast site and see what is there. My wife
just uses the Comcast site and leaves everything in the inbox.

I am about your age and learn something new every day.

Re: Downloading Very Old eMails From Comcast Server: How, Please ?

<tc98ns$131ji$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=372&group=alt.online-service.comcast#372

From: jrweiss9...@comcast.net (John Weiss)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 12:15:07 -0700
 by: John Weiss - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 19:15 UTC

On 08/01/22 08:49, Frank wrote:
> On 8/1/2022 10:15 AM, Robert11 wrote:
>>
>> I have a pc and a MAC.
>> Each uses the "native" Mail App that came with it.
>> My eMails are being (automatically) downloaded to both from Comcast.
>> Works well.
>> Our Comcast account with them is an IMAP.
>>
>> So, all my old eMails are stored on their Servers, presumably
>> forever. True ?
>>
>> I would like to download last years, and perhaps another yr. going
>> back, old eMails to one, or both, of my computers.
>>
>> Cannot find any way of doing it. Is there ?
>>
>> Any suggestions would be Very appreciated.
>> Bob

> I use Mozilla Thunderbird for email and if I delete an email or move
it to a folder in Thunderbird it is deleted from Comcast email. If I
leave it in the inbox, it stays.

> Log into your email on the Comcast site and see what is there. My
wife just uses the Comcast site and leaves everything in the inbox.

> I am about your age and learn something new every day.

As Frank noted, normal IMAP setup is that when a message is deleted from
a computer, the message is also deleted on the server and any other
computers connected to the account. Depending on the connection status,
the message may be deleted from the server immediately, after a short
delay, or when the computer re-connects to the Internet. The messages
are sent to the Trash folder on the server, then deleted after the time
set in your account.

The best way to find out whether you have saved or permanently deleted
your e-mails is to log into the Comcast webmail site, and see what
messages appear there. Besides the Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Spam, and Trash
folders, there is an entry for My Folders where you can create
subfolders and organize your messages as you like, without keeping them
in the Inbox. If you don't see any messages in any of those folders,
you may have deleted them permanently. You may see some messages in the
Trash folder, which you can move to the My Folders tree.

If you don't see any messages on the web server, they are gone, unless
you saved copies in a Local Folders tree in your computers.

Re: Downloading Very Old eMails From Comcast Server: How, Please ?

<b11e26a6-84fc-4da8-b0d3-a5ee46ca6ae8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=373&group=alt.online-service.comcast#373

Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 12:27:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: rgsro...@gmail.com (Robert11)
 by: Robert11 - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 19:27 UTC

On Monday, August 1, 2022 at 3:15:11 PM UTC-4, John Weiss wrote:
> On 08/01/22 08:49, Frank wrote:
> > On 8/1/2022 10:15 AM, Robert11 wrote:
> >>
> >> I have a pc and a MAC.
> >> Each uses the "native" Mail App that came with it.
> >> My eMails are being (automatically) downloaded to both from Comcast.
> >> Works well.
> >> Our Comcast account with them is an IMAP.
> >>
> >> So, all my old eMails are stored on their Servers, presumably
> >> forever. True ?
> >>
> >> I would like to download last years, and perhaps another yr. going
> >> back, old eMails to one, or both, of my computers.
> >>
> >> Cannot find any way of doing it. Is there ?
> >>
> >> Any suggestions would be Very appreciated.
> >> Bob
>
> > I use Mozilla Thunderbird for email and if I delete an email or move
> it to a folder in Thunderbird it is deleted from Comcast email. If I
> leave it in the inbox, it stays.
> >
> > Log into your email on the Comcast site and see what is there. My
> wife just uses the Comcast site and leaves everything in the inbox.
> >
> > I am about your age and learn something new every day.
> As Frank noted, normal IMAP setup is that when a message is deleted from
> a computer, the message is also deleted on the server and any other
> computers connected to the account. Depending on the connection status,
> the message may be deleted from the server immediately, after a short
> delay, or when the computer re-connects to the Internet. The messages
> are sent to the Trash folder on the server, then deleted after the time
> set in your account.
>
> The best way to find out whether you have saved or permanently deleted
> your e-mails is to log into the Comcast webmail site, and see what
> messages appear there. Besides the Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Spam, and Trash
> folders, there is an entry for My Folders where you can create
> subfolders and organize your messages as you like, without keeping them
> in the Inbox. If you don't see any messages in any of those folders,
> you may have deleted them permanently. You may see some messages in the
> Trash folder, which you can move to the My Folders tree.
>
> If you don't see any messages on the web server, they are gone, unless
> you saved copies in a Local Folders tree in your computers.

Re: Downloading Very Old eMails From Comcast Server: How, Please ?

<835ee306-f471-4aac-8161-3c0d93b1ca1cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=374&group=alt.online-service.comcast#374

Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 12:31:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: rgsro...@gmail.com (Robert11)
 by: Robert11 - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 19:31 UTC

Hi Guys,

Thanks for comments.

I was always under the impression the if you had your eMail
Account set up as an IMAP, as I do, then there is nothing you might do on your pc that
will change what happens on the Comcast Server for your items ??

If IMAP, I always thought that they were "always" there, forever, irrespective of your personal actions on your pc.

Not true ??

Regards,
Bob

On Monday, August 1, 2022 at 3:15:11 PM UTC-4, John Weiss wrote:
> On 08/01/22 08:49, Frank wrote:
> > On 8/1/2022 10:15 AM, Robert11 wrote:
> >>
> >> I have a pc and a MAC.
> >> Each uses the "native" Mail App that came with it.
> >> My eMails are being (automatically) downloaded to both from Comcast.
> >> Works well.
> >> Our Comcast account with them is an IMAP.
> >>
> >> So, all my old eMails are stored on their Servers, presumably
> >> forever. True ?
> >>
> >> I would like to download last years, and perhaps another yr. going
> >> back, old eMails to one, or both, of my computers.
> >>
> >> Cannot find any way of doing it. Is there ?
> >>
> >> Any suggestions would be Very appreciated.
> >> Bob
>
> > I use Mozilla Thunderbird for email and if I delete an email or move
> it to a folder in Thunderbird it is deleted from Comcast email. If I
> leave it in the inbox, it stays.
> >
> > Log into your email on the Comcast site and see what is there. My
> wife just uses the Comcast site and leaves everything in the inbox.
> >
> > I am about your age and learn something new every day.
> As Frank noted, normal IMAP setup is that when a message is deleted from
> a computer, the message is also deleted on the server and any other
> computers connected to the account. Depending on the connection status,
> the message may be deleted from the server immediately, after a short
> delay, or when the computer re-connects to the Internet. The messages
> are sent to the Trash folder on the server, then deleted after the time
> set in your account.
>
> The best way to find out whether you have saved or permanently deleted
> your e-mails is to log into the Comcast webmail site, and see what
> messages appear there. Besides the Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Spam, and Trash
> folders, there is an entry for My Folders where you can create
> subfolders and organize your messages as you like, without keeping them
> in the Inbox. If you don't see any messages in any of those folders,
> you may have deleted them permanently. You may see some messages in the
> Trash folder, which you can move to the My Folders tree.
>
> If you don't see any messages on the web server, they are gone, unless
> you saved copies in a Local Folders tree in your computers.

Re: Downloading Very Old eMails From Comcast Server: How, Please ?

<tc9c7i$13ddq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=375&group=alt.online-service.comcast#375

From: jrweiss9...@comcast.net (John Weiss)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 13:14:40 -0700
 by: John Weiss - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 20:14 UTC

Not true.

The old POP protocol had options to leave messages on the server after
download.

The newer IMAP protocol is designed for access from multiple devices,
and synchronizes them in [near] real time. So the last computer (e.g.,
PC) you use will update what it sees on the server after your e-mail
client logs in, and continue updating the server as you write, move, and
delete messages. Later you log in with the Mac, and it shows all the
new/revised stuff.

If you disconnect from the Internet while you're working, the
synchronization will pause until you re-establish the connection, so you
can work off-line if desired.

Again, only exception is if you have a "Local Folders" tree in your
computer's e-mail client where you move messages after downloading.
Then the messages will stay on your computer regardless of what you do
with the synchronized folders.

You may have confused some discussions or articles that address
archiving. Indeed, e-mail service providers make numerous backups on a
continuous basis, so what you wrote years ago MAY be available to law
enforcement with a search warrant. However, those archives are not
designed to be readily accessed by the end user.

On 08/01/22 12:31, Robert11 wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Thanks for comments.
>
> I was always under the impression the if you had your eMail
> Account set up as an IMAP, as I do, then there is nothing you might do on your pc that
> will change what happens on the Comcast Server for your items ??
>
> If IMAP, I always thought that they were "always" there, forever, irrespective of your personal actions on your pc.
>
> Not true ??
>
> Regards,
> Bob
>
> On Monday, August 1, 2022 at 3:15:11 PM UTC-4, John Weiss wrote:

Re: Downloading Very Old eMails From Comcast Server: How, Please ?

<8rugehl31j1k01oi4lc4ckdv3kl6nf16k7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=376&group=alt.online-service.comcast#376

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 20:19:15 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 01:19 UTC

On Mon, 1 Aug 2022 12:31:09 -0700 (PDT), Robert11 <rgsrose2@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I was always under the impression the if you had your eMail
>Account set up as an IMAP, as I do, then there is nothing you might do on your pc that
>will change what happens on the Comcast Server for your items ??
>
>If IMAP, I always thought that they were "always" there, forever, irrespective of your personal actions on your pc.
>
>Not true ??

John is right, of course. That is definitely not true.