The road to hell is paved with NAND gates. -- J. Gooding

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: WhatsApp problem -- SOLVED

SubjectAuthor
* WhatsApp problemGeorge
+- Re: WhatsApp problemGeorge
+- Re: WhatsApp problemGeorge
+- Re: WhatsApp problemGeorge
`* Re: WhatsApp problemCarlos E.R.
 `* Re: WhatsApp problemGeorge
  `* Re: WhatsApp problemCarlos E.R.
   `* Re: WhatsApp problemGeorge
    `* Re: WhatsApp problemCarlos E.R.
     `* Re: WhatsApp problemGeorge
      `* Re: WhatsApp problem -- SOLVEDGeorge
       `- Re: WhatsApp problem -- SOLVEDCarlos E.R.

1
WhatsApp problem

<eImcnc986Zgcn1L-nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36918&group=comp.mobile.android#36918

From: nul...@null.net (George)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: WhatsApp problem
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 16:56:07 -0500
 by: George - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 21:56 UTC

After a recent T-Mobile update to my Samsung S-22 phone a few days ago,
WhatsApp VIDEO calls will not connect, neither incoming nor outgoing.
PHONE calls and TEXTING via WhatsApp do work, both incoming and
outgoing. The probem is limited to VIDEO calls via WhatsApp. I
uninstalled and then reinstalled the app, but the problem continues.
The network name on the phone is the same as the network name on my
laptop (internet is thru Xfinity); internet works fine on the laptop.
Thinking if I could uninstall the recent T-Mobile update, maybe that
would fix it, but can�t find a way to undo the update.

All ideas, pointers, suggestions welcome. TIA!

George

P.S. The WhatsApp version is 2.23.1.76
P.P.S. Is there a newsgroup for WhatsApp?

Re: WhatsApp problem

<gVOdnRVwbvijkFL-nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36919&group=comp.mobile.android#36919

From: nul...@null.net (George)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: WhatsApp problem
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 17:40:45 -0500
 by: George - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 22:40 UTC

To clarify: where I say PHONE calls do work, I mean VOICE calls via
WhatsApp do work, since obviously the phone is the device . . .

"George" <null@null.net> wrote in message
> After a recent T-Mobile update to my Samsung S-22 phone a few days
> ago, WhatsApp VIDEO calls will not connect, neither incoming nor
> outgoing. PHONE calls and TEXTING via WhatsApp do work, both incoming
> and outgoing. The probem is limited to VIDEO calls via WhatsApp. I
> uninstalled and then reinstalled the app, but the problem continues.
> The network name on the phone is the same as the network name on my
> laptop (internet is thru Xfinity); internet works fine on the laptop.
> Thinking if I could uninstall the recent T-Mobile update, maybe that
> would fix it, but can�t find a way to undo the update.
>
> All ideas, pointers, suggestions welcome. TIA!
>
> George
>
> P.S. The WhatsApp version is 2.23.1.76
> P.P.S. Is there a newsgroup for WhatsApp?

Re: WhatsApp problem

<gVOdnRRwbvijkFL-nZ2dnZfqnPQAAAAA@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36920&group=comp.mobile.android#36920

From: nul...@null.net (George)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 17:41:56 -0500
 by: George - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 22:41 UTC

To clarify: where I say PHONE calls do work, I mean VOICE calls via
WhatsApp do work, since obviously the phone is the device . . .

"George" <null@null.net> wrote in message
> After a recent T-Mobile update to my Samsung S-22 phone a few days
> ago, WhatsApp VIDEO calls will not connect, neither incoming nor
> outgoing. PHONE calls and TEXTING via WhatsApp do work, both incoming
> and outgoing. The probem is limited to VIDEO calls via WhatsApp. I
> uninstalled and then reinstalled the app, but the problem continues.
> The network name on the phone is the same as the network name on my
> laptop (internet is thru Xfinity); internet works fine on the laptop.
> Thinking if I could uninstall the recent T-Mobile update, maybe that
> would fix it, but can�t find a way to undo the update.
>
> All ideas, pointers, suggestions welcome. TIA!
>
> George
>
> P.S. The WhatsApp version is 2.23.1.76
> P.P.S. Is there a newsgroup for WhatsApp?

Re: WhatsApp problem

<QEWdncXqEsbtkFL-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36921&group=comp.mobile.android#36921

From: nul...@null.net (George)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 17:42:08 -0500
 by: George - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 22:42 UTC

To clarify: where I say PHONE calls do work, I mean VOICE calls via
WhatsApp do work, since obviously the phone is the device . . .

"George" <null@null.net> wrote in message
> After a recent T-Mobile update to my Samsung S-22 phone a few days
> ago, WhatsApp VIDEO calls will not connect, neither incoming nor
> outgoing. PHONE calls and TEXTING via WhatsApp do work, both incoming
> and outgoing. The probem is limited to VIDEO calls via WhatsApp. I
> uninstalled and then reinstalled the app, but the problem continues.
> The network name on the phone is the same as the network name on my
> laptop (internet is thru Xfinity); internet works fine on the laptop.
> Thinking if I could uninstall the recent T-Mobile update, maybe that
> would fix it, but can�t find a way to undo the update.
>
> All ideas, pointers, suggestions welcome. TIA!
>
> George
>
> P.S. The WhatsApp version is 2.23.1.76
> P.P.S. Is there a newsgroup for WhatsApp?

Re: WhatsApp problem

<oop3ajxkcp.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36930&group=comp.mobile.android#36930

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 02:44:24 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 01:44 UTC

On 2023-01-23 22:56, George wrote:
> After a recent T-Mobile update to my Samsung S-22 phone a few days ago,
> WhatsApp VIDEO calls will not connect, neither incoming nor outgoing.
> PHONE calls and TEXTING via WhatsApp do work, both incoming and
> outgoing. The probem is limited to VIDEO calls via WhatsApp. I
> uninstalled and then reinstalled the app, but the problem continues.
> The network name on the phone is the same as the network name on my
> laptop (internet is thru Xfinity); internet works fine on the laptop.
> Thinking if I could uninstall the recent T-Mobile update, maybe that
> would fix it, but can’t find a way to undo the update.
>
> All ideas, pointers, suggestions welcome. TIA!
>
> George
>
> P.S. The WhatsApp version is 2.23.1.76
> P.P.S. Is there a newsgroup for WhatsApp?

Google says (samsung s-22 whatsapp videocalls not working):

Why video call is not working in WhatsApp in Samsung?
Grant Necessary Permissions

So, if you're having issues making use of the WhatsApp call or video
feature, you should check that you have granted it the necessary
permissions. To do this, go to 'Settings' on your Android phone and
click 'Apps'. Next, scroll till you find WhatsApp, then click on it.Oct
25, 2022

WhatsApp Call Not Working: Here are 5 Ways To Fix It - Dignited

<https://www.dignited.com/57911/fix-whatsapp-call-not-working/>

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: WhatsApp problem

<IvecnarIUb6EyVL-nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36931&group=comp.mobile.android#36931

From: nul...@null.net (George)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 22:44:15 -0500
 by: George - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 03:44 UTC

Carlos, thanks for replying. I should have mentioned that I googled the
problem extensively before posting in the newsgroup. Tried every fix
that Google came up with on different websites (and then some),
including checking Permissions (none are showing as denied).

What bugs me is that everything worked fine before the T-Mobile update,
and that apparently there is no uncomplicated way to undo the update.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply, it's appreciated.

George

"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote in message
> On 2023-01-23 22:56, George wrote:
>> After a recent T-Mobile update to my Samsung S-22 phone a few days
>> ago,
>> WhatsApp VIDEO calls will not connect, neither incoming nor outgoing.
>> PHONE calls and TEXTING via WhatsApp do work, both incoming and
>> outgoing. The probem is limited to VIDEO calls via WhatsApp. I
>> uninstalled and then reinstalled the app, but the problem continues.
>> The network name on the phone is the same as the network name on my
>> laptop (internet is thru Xfinity); internet works fine on the laptop.
>> Thinking if I could uninstall the recent T-Mobile update, maybe that
>> would fix it, but can't find a way to undo the update.
>>
>> All ideas, pointers, suggestions welcome. TIA!
>>
>> George
>>
>> P.S. The WhatsApp version is 2.23.1.76
>> P.P.S. Is there a newsgroup for WhatsApp?
>
> Google says (samsung s-22 whatsapp videocalls not working):
>
> Why video call is not working in WhatsApp in Samsung?
> Grant Necessary Permissions
>
> So, if you're having issues making use of the WhatsApp call or video
> feature, you should check that you have granted it the necessary
> permissions. To do this, go to 'Settings' on your Android phone and
> click 'Apps'. Next, scroll till you find WhatsApp, then click on
> it.Oct 25, 2022
>
> WhatsApp Call Not Working: Here are 5 Ways To Fix It - Dignited
>
> <https://www.dignited.com/57911/fix-whatsapp-call-not-working/>
>
> --
> Cheers, Carlos.

Re: WhatsApp problem

<c4g7ajxg39.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36953&group=comp.mobile.android#36953

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 12:24:28 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 11:24 UTC

On 2023-01-24 04:44, George wrote:
> Carlos, thanks for replying. I should have mentioned that I googled the
> problem extensively before posting in the newsgroup. Tried every fix
> that Google came up with on different websites (and then some),
> including checking Permissions (none are showing as denied).
>
> What bugs me is that everything worked fine before the T-Mobile update,
> and that apparently there is no uncomplicated way to undo the update.
>
> Again, thanks for taking the time to reply, it's appreciated.

I just tried video chat in WhatsApp with my phone, and it is still
working. Doesn't help you, just to know that it is not a general problem.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: WhatsApp problem

<Xt6cnWvi4K_sFkz-nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36970&group=comp.mobile.android#36970

From: nul...@null.net (George)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 15:04:19 -0500
 by: George - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 20:04 UTC

Thanks Carlos. Yes, definitely not a general problem. I discovered
that if I go to any wi-fi hotspot instead of my home wi-fi, WhatsApp
video calls will connect, both outgoing as well incoming. And yet, the
home wi-fi works without any problem on the laptop!

Oh, the mysteries of modern technology!

Regards,

> On 2023-01-24 04:44, George wrote:
>> Carlos, thanks for replying. I should have mentioned that I googled
>> the
>> problem extensively before posting in the newsgroup. Tried every fix
>> that Google came up with on different websites (and then some),
>> including checking Permissions (none are showing as denied).
>>
>> What bugs me is that everything worked fine before the T-Mobile
>> update,
>> and that apparently there is no uncomplicated way to undo the update.
>>
>> Again, thanks for taking the time to reply, it's appreciated.
>
> I just tried video chat in WhatsApp with my phone, and it is still
> working. Doesn't help you, just to know that it is not a general
> problem.
>
> --
> Cheers, Carlos.

Re: WhatsApp problem

<1qg8ajxuk4.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36971&group=comp.mobile.android#36971

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 21:42:09 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 20:42 UTC

On 2023-01-25 21:04, George wrote:
> Thanks Carlos. Yes, definitely not a general problem. I discovered
> that if I go to any wi-fi hotspot instead of my home wi-fi, WhatsApp
> video calls will connect, both outgoing as well incoming. And yet, the
> home wi-fi works without any problem on the laptop!
>
> Oh, the mysteries of modern technology!

Well, you are finding out things. It is not an update to the phone, but
something in your router (or land ISP) that is not proper, or that it
conflicts. You have to find out what.

Google that router model and whatsapp, or that isp and whatsapp, or
whatsapp and wifi.

For example:

<https://faq.whatsapp.com/829451934973485>

«When experiencing issues with WhatsApp calls, please try connecting to
a different network (such as Wi-Fi connection instead of mobile data, or
vice versa). Your current network might not be properly configured for
UDP (User Datagram Protocol) which may prevent WhatsApp Calling from
functioning properly.

If you're unable to make or receive WhatsApp calls after connecting to
your Wi-Fi connection, make sure your router's security settings and
firewall configuration aren't blocking certain types of connections in
order for WhatsApp Calling to function properly.

If you have any additional questions regarding UDP or Firewall settings,
please contact your service provider or network administrator for
additional information.»

WTF? How on earth can the network administration do anything if whatsapp
doesn't say what ports and types of connections must be opened? I can
not open every port!

I can work that out with a profesional router with a proper firewall
log, but not on a shitty ISP router.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: WhatsApp problem

<FOadnfDUA4umVEz-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36980&group=comp.mobile.android#36980

From: nul...@null.net (George)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 19:28:30 -0500
 by: George - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 00:28 UTC

Carlos, you've given me some more things to look into. I also messaged
WhatsApp Support; will update here when/how this gets resolved.

Thanks again,

> On 2023-01-25 21:04, George wrote:
>> Thanks Carlos. Yes, definitely not a general problem. I discovered
>> that if I go to any wi-fi hotspot instead of my home wi-fi, WhatsApp
>> video calls will connect, both outgoing as well incoming. And yet,
>> the
>> home wi-fi works without any problem on the laptop!
>>
>> Oh, the mysteries of modern technology!
>
> Well, you are finding out things. It is not an update to the phone,
> but something in your router (or land ISP) that is not proper, or that
> it conflicts. You have to find out what.
>
> Google that router model and whatsapp, or that isp and whatsapp, or
> whatsapp and wifi.
>
> For example:
>
> <https://faq.whatsapp.com/829451934973485>
>
> �When experiencing issues with WhatsApp calls, please try connecting
> to a different network (such as Wi-Fi connection instead of mobile
> data, or vice versa). Your current network might not be properly
> configured for UDP (User Datagram Protocol) which may prevent WhatsApp
> Calling from functioning properly.
>
> If you're unable to make or receive WhatsApp calls after connecting to
> your Wi-Fi connection, make sure your router's security settings and
> firewall configuration aren't blocking certain types of connections in
> order for WhatsApp Calling to function properly.
>
> If you have any additional questions regarding UDP or Firewall
> settings, please contact your service provider or network
> administrator for additional information.�
>

> WTF? How on earth can the network administration do anything if
> whatsapp doesn't say what ports and types of connections must be
> opened? I can not open every port!
>
> I can work that out with a profesional router with a proper firewall
> log, but not on a shitty ISP router.
>
> --
> Cheers, Carlos.

Re: WhatsApp problem -- SOLVED

<hUGdnSLiLcsBXEr-nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37079&group=comp.mobile.android#37079

From: nul...@null.net (George)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: WhatsApp problem -- SOLVED
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 08:09:30 -0500
 by: George - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 13:09 UTC

Carlos, after googling a zillion more sites, it turns out the solution
was in the Arris modem, which had the Security set at "Maximum".
Changing it to "Typical" allows WhatsApp video calls to work.

At first had some concerns about making the change, but went ahead with
it since all apps on the phone were downloaded from reliable sources,
and the laptop has its own firewall.

So I hope this post helps anyone else who might encounter this WhatsApp
connection problem on their home wi-fi.

> Carlos, you've given me some more things to look into. I also
> messaged WhatsApp Support; will update here when/how this gets
> resolved.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> George
>

> "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote in message
>> On 2023-01-25 21:04, George wrote:
>>> Thanks Carlos. Yes, definitely not a general problem. I discovered
>>> that if I go to any wi-fi hotspot instead of my home wi-fi, WhatsApp
>>> video calls will connect, both outgoing as well incoming. And yet,
>>> the
>>> home wi-fi works without any problem on the laptop!
>>>
>>> Oh, the mysteries of modern technology!
>>
>> Well, you are finding out things. It is not an update to the phone,
>> but something in your router (or land ISP) that is not proper, or
>> that it conflicts. You have to find out what.
>>
>> Google that router model and whatsapp, or that isp and whatsapp, or
>> whatsapp and wifi.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> <https://faq.whatsapp.com/829451934973485>
>>
>> �When experiencing issues with WhatsApp calls, please try connecting
>> to a different network (such as Wi-Fi connection instead of mobile
>> data, or vice versa). Your current network might not be properly
>> configured for UDP (User Datagram Protocol) which may prevent
>> WhatsApp Calling from functioning properly.
>>
>> If you're unable to make or receive WhatsApp calls after connecting
>> to your Wi-Fi connection, make sure your router's security settings
>> and firewall configuration aren't blocking certain types of
>> connections in order for WhatsApp Calling to function properly.
>>
>> If you have any additional questions regarding UDP or Firewall
>> settings, please contact your service provider or network
>> administrator for additional information.�
>>

>> WTF? How on earth can the network administration do anything if
>> whatsapp doesn't say what ports and types of connections must be
>> opened? I can not open every port!
>>
>> I can work that out with a profesional router with a proper firewall
>> log, but not on a shitty ISP router.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Carlos.

Re: WhatsApp problem -- SOLVED

<kkukajxigq.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37080&group=comp.mobile.android#37080

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 14:51:48 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 13:51 UTC

On 2023-01-30 14:09, George wrote:
> Carlos, after googling a zillion more sites, it turns out the solution
> was in the Arris modem, which had the Security set at "Maximum".
> Changing it to "Typical" allows WhatsApp video calls to work.
>
> At first had some concerns about making the change, but went ahead with
> it since all apps on the phone were downloaded from reliable sources,
> and the laptop has its own firewall.
>
> So I hope this post helps anyone else who might encounter this WhatsApp
> connection problem on their home wi-fi.
>

> "George" <null@null.net> wrote in message
>> Carlos, you've given me some more things to look into. I also
>> messaged WhatsApp Support; will update here when/how this gets
>> resolved.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> George

That's good news. Thanks for sharing. :-)

--
Cheers, Carlos.