RADIO SHACK LEVEL II BASIC READY >_

computers / alt.internet.wireless / Re: Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to run?

SubjectAuthor
* Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to run?Erholt Rhein
+* Re: Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to run?e.day
|`- Re: Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to run?Charlie+
+* Re: Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to run?Jeff Liebermann
|`* Re: Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to run?Erholt Rhein
| `- Re: Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to run?Jeff Liebermann
+* Re: Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware toAndy Burns
|`- Re: Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to run?Erholt Rhein
`* Re: Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to run?5GyYap52yQ1UGMWD
 `* Re: Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to run?Erholt Rhein
  `- Re: Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to run?5GyYap52yQ1UGMWD

1
Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to run?

<tjsk6q$132n$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=364&group=alt.internet.wireless#364

From: erho...@pobox.com (Erholt Rhein)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,alt.privacy
Subject: Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to run?
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 03:21:22 +0100
 by: Erholt Rhein - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 02:21 UTC

I do NOT understand WHY this app REQUIRES Google Play Store spyware to run.
Can you explain why?

Anyone can reproduce what I found out after testing on another phone.
(1) Run Network Cell Info Lite version 20 Oct 2022 and it works
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wilysis.cellinfolite&hl=en_DE&gl=DE
(2) Disable the latest Android 12 Google Play Store for privacy
Settings > Apps > Your apps > Google Play Store > Disable
(3) Run Network Cell Info Lite and it crashes in light of privacy

It's repeatable.
(4) Turn on the Android 12 Google Play Store spyware
Settings > Apps > Your apps > Google Play Store > Turn on
(5) Run Network Cell Info Lite version 20 Oct 2022 and it works

This is the privacy you lose with the application that I tested above.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/datasafety?id=com.wilysis.cellinfolite&hl=en_DE&gl=DE

These are my versions:
Android version 12
Google Play system update version March 1, 2022
Android security patch level September 1, 2022
Google Play Store version 32.9.14-21 [0][PR]482870704 (83291410)

The app can't even open up unless Google Play Store spyware is running.
Why?

No other apps that I have need that.
For example, this is a very similar (almost exact) app and it works great.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=make.more.r2d2.cellular_z&hl=en_DE&gl=DE

Why would an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to be running?

Re: Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to run?

<rjr3mh10odvu7f88qumushbmnnqp42o7m7@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=365&group=alt.internet.wireless#365

From: e.d...@panix.co (e.day)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,alt.privacy
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 23:14:42 -0500
 by: e.day - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 04:14 UTC

On Wed, 2 Nov 2022 03:21:22 +0100, Erholt Rhein <erholtr@pobox.com>
wrote:

>I do NOT understand WHY this app REQUIRES Google Play Store spyware to run.
>Can you explain why?

Hi Arlen.

Re: Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to run?

<ots3mhp6q3beo6mc57mttlbsrreb7kpjkm@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=366&group=alt.internet.wireless#366

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,alt.privacy
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 21:53:27 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 04:53 UTC

wrote:

>I do NOT understand WHY this app REQUIRES Google Play Store spyware to run.
>Can you explain why?
>
>Anyone can reproduce what I found out after testing on another phone.
>(1) Run Network Cell Info Lite version 20 Oct 2022 and it works
>https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wilysis.cellinfolite&hl=en_DE&gl=DE
>(2) Disable the latest Android 12 Google Play Store for privacy
>Settings > Apps > Your apps > Google Play Store > Disable
>(3) Run Network Cell Info Lite and it crashes in light of privacy

I followed your instructions with a few exceptions:
1. I'm using Android 11 on a Moto G Power (2020).
2. I'm using Network Cell Info Pro, not Lite.
3. I forced stop the Google Play Store app and then disabled it.
Network Cell Info Pro worked normally and did not hang.

>Why would an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to be running?

I don't know. Try clearing the cache for the Play Store and for
Network Cell Info Lite.

Bug report it to the developers and use a different app until it's
fixed. It's a good app and worth the $4.99 investment:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.android.telnet2>
<https://www.kaibits-software.com/product_netwotksignaldonate.htm>

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Re: Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to run?

<jsen2fFoejmU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=367&group=alt.internet.wireless#367

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,alt.privacy
Subject: Re: Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to
run?
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 08:11:56 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 08:11 UTC

Erholt Rhein wrote:

> I do NOT understand WHY this app REQUIRES Google Play Store spyware to run.
> Can you explain why?

Simplest explanation is that the author (like 99.whatever% of android phone
users) has play store enabled, developed the app and didn't even think to test
it without play store, maybe the software want a unique identifier to
crowdsource data from the users, and if it can't get one it handles that poorly?

Re: Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to run?

<87v8nxd6m9.fsf@dajpkgx.jaieqo>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=368&group=alt.internet.wireless#368

From: ehj46PkB...@VW28LtWn6wknpUMV.invalid (5GyYap52yQ1UGMWD)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,alt.privacy
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 17:54:06 +0800
 by: 5GyYap52yQ1UGMWD - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 09:54 UTC

Erholt Rhein <erholtr@pobox.com> writes:

> Why would an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to be running?

Because most apps use Google Firebase for the analytics and push
notifications and because of that almost all Play Store apps require the
"Play Store Services" as a soft dependency. You can technically run
those apps without the "Play Store Services" but you will have a
neutered experience.

If you want to have a Google-less experience try using F-Droid and only
using apps from there.

--
Pointless meanderings in a bleak and lonely world.

Re: Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to run?

<tjub8k$1dlk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=369&group=alt.internet.wireless#369

From: erho...@pobox.com (Erholt Rhein)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,alt.privacy
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 19:01:01 +0100
 by: Erholt Rhein - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 18:01 UTC

On Tue, 01 Nov 2022 21:53:27 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> I followed your instructions with a few exceptions:
> 1. I'm using Android 11 on a Moto G Power (2020).
> 2. I'm using Network Cell Info Pro, not Lite.
> 3. I forced stop the Google Play Store app and then disabled it.
> Network Cell Info Pro worked normally and did not hang.

My mistake for not saying you must reboot before it really takes hold.
It's counter intuitive. I agree. But you have to reboot to really test.

>>Why would an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to be running?
>
> I don't know. Try clearing the cache for the Play Store and for
> Network Cell Info Lite.

Can you try again after rebooting?

As an extra test, I disabled & forcestopped Google Play Services and
nothing happened out of the ordinary until I rebooted.

When I rebooted, one by one, all the Google apps which are apparently
dependent upon Google Play Services issued complaining notifications.
https://i.postimg.cc/qvMpkZrg/Clipboard01.jpg

Speech Services by Google won't work unless you enable Google Play Services
Google Calendar Sync won't work unless you enable Google Play Services
Google Partner Setup won't work unless you enable Google Play Services
Device Health Services won't work unless you enable Google Play Services
Maps won't work unless you enable Google Play Services
Google Wi-Fi Provisioner won't work unless you enable Google Play Services
https://i.postimg.cc/qvMpkZrg/Clipboard01.jpg

It was my fault for not realizing you must reboot (which I had done many
times so I had forgotten about the reboot as a necessary part of the test).

>>Why would an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to be running?
>
> I don't know. Try clearing the cache for the Play Store and for
> Network Cell Info Lite.

I don't know either. That's why I asked.
I suspect it's linked to some spyware that is in the Google Play Store app.

> Bug report it to the developers

If they're linking to Google spyware on purpose, why would they tell me?

> and use a different app until it's fixed.

I linked to a different app which works without Google Play Store running.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=make.more.r2d2.cellular_z&hl=en_DE&gl=DE

> It's a good app and worth the $4.99 investment:

If the app is doing what it appears to be doing, that's a bad investment.
It appears to be spyware but I don't know that for absolutely sure.

That is why I asked if others can reproduce what I'm seeing.
Did you reproduce what I saw AFTER you rebooted?

(Again, I apologize that I did not state that I had rebooted many
times before I reported what my test results were in the original post).

> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.android.telnet2>
> <https://www.kaibits-software.com/product_netwotksignaldonate.htm>

This isn't at all about what the app does though.
This question is only why the app needs to have Google Play Store running.

Re: Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to run?

<tjubot$1ma6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=370&group=alt.internet.wireless#370

From: erho...@pobox.com (Erholt Rhein)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,alt.privacy
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 19:09:41 +0100
 by: Erholt Rhein - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 18:09 UTC

On Wed, 02 Nov 2022 17:54:06 +0800, 5GyYap52yQ1UGMWD wrote:

>> Why would an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to be running?
>
> Because most apps use Google Firebase for the analytics and push
> notifications and because of that almost all Play Store apps require the
> "Play Store Services" as a soft dependency. You can technically run
> those apps without the "Play Store Services" but you will have a
> neutered experience.

You need to be very clear whether you're talking Google Play Store or
Google Play Services because they're completely different on Android.

Specifically I disabled & forcestopped only the Google Play Store module
and not the Google Play Services module for the test initially described.

Checking again, this is the initial test condition:
ENABLED/RUNNING Google Play Services 22.42.12
DISABLED/FORCESTOPPED Google Play Store 32.9.14-21

In checking my tests I forgot to mention in the original post that a reboot
is required even if the app was both disabled and forcestopped in Android.

Apparently pressing "Force stop" doesn't do what anyone would think it does
since a reboot is required as can be shown when I tested your suggestion.

Based on your suggestion, I tested this reverse scenario:
DISABLED/FORCESTOPPED Google Play Services 22.42.12
ENABLED/RUNNING Google Play Store 32.9.14-21

In that test, the app still worked but that's when I realized things are
DIFFERENT once you reboot after disabling and force stopping programs.

Even turning off both and testing, the app still worked!
DISABLED/FORCESTOPPED Google Play Services 22.42.12
DISABLED/FORCESTOPPED Google Play Store 32.9.14-21

Yet rebooting after the test condition above, the app crashed as before.

Unfortunately, too many other errors resulted from Google Play Services
disabled/forcestopped/rebooted as shown by notifictions after reboot.
ERROR https://i.postimg.cc/qvMpkZrg/Clipboard01.jpg
Enable Google Play Services
[Name-of-app] won't work unless you enable Google Play Services

If someone else can confirm the following, that would help all.
(1) Install the app and make sure it pops up when tapped
(2) Disable & force stop Google Play Store in Android settings
(3) Reboot (this is the part I had forgotten I had done many times)
(4) Try to run the app

In my case, the app crashes if Google Play Store is not running.
If that happens for others, the important question to ask is why.

Re: Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to run?

<toc5mhlhs6nbjlt0c0c5u9smsg7f3uhdr1@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=371&group=alt.internet.wireless#371

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,alt.privacy
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 11:28:39 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 18:28 UTC

On Wed, 2 Nov 2022 19:01:01 +0100, Erholt Rhein <erholtr@pobox.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Nov 2022 21:53:27 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>
>> I followed your instructions with a few exceptions:
>> 1. I'm using Android 11 on a Moto G Power (2020).
>> 2. I'm using Network Cell Info Pro, not Lite.
>> 3. I forced stop the Google Play Store app and then disabled it.
>> Network Cell Info Pro worked normally and did not hang.
>
>My mistake for not saying you must reboot before it really takes hold.
>It's counter intuitive. I agree. But you have to reboot to really test.

You said to disable "Google Play Store" app. What you probably meant
was disable "Google Play Services". I just disabled both.
>Can you try again after rebooting?

Done. Network Cell Info Pro works normally.

>As an extra test, I disabled & forcestopped Google Play Services and
>nothing happened out of the ordinary until I rebooted.
>
>When I rebooted, one by one, all the Google apps which are apparently
>dependent upon Google Play Services issued complaining notifications.
>https://i.postimg.cc/qvMpkZrg/Clipboard01.jpg

I got the same things when I disabled "Google Play Services". When I
ran Network Cell Info Pro, the app complained "Network Cell Info Pro
won't work unless you enable Google Play service". I managed to back
out of the error message and tested the various pages. I don't have
an easy way to compare with the normal screens, but it looks like
everything except the maps, are present and functional. Other than
obnoxious notifications, no oddities and no hangs.

>Speech Services by Google won't work unless you enable Google Play Services
>Google Calendar Sync won't work unless you enable Google Play Services
>Google Partner Setup won't work unless you enable Google Play Services
>Device Health Services won't work unless you enable Google Play Services
>Maps won't work unless you enable Google Play Services
>Google Wi-Fi Provisioner won't work unless you enable Google Play Services
>https://i.postimg.cc/qvMpkZrg/Clipboard01.jpg
>
>It was my fault for not realizing you must reboot (which I had done many
>times so I had forgotten about the reboot as a necessary part of the test).

OK, I enabled Google Play Services, left Google Play Store disabled,
and rebooted (from power off state). Network Cell Info Pro works
normally. No hangs.

Did you try clearing the cache as I suggested? I know it's a basic
solution, but it works quite often when I get calls for application
hangs.

I'm out of time and late for a free lunch. Bug me later if you want
me to try anything else.

>>>Why would an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to be running?
>>
>> I don't know. Try clearing the cache for the Play Store and for
>> Network Cell Info Lite.
>
>I don't know either. That's why I asked.
>I suspect it's linked to some spyware that is in the Google Play Store app.
>
>> Bug report it to the developers
>
>If they're linking to Google spyware on purpose, why would they tell me?
>
>> and use a different app until it's fixed.
>
>I linked to a different app which works without Google Play Store running.
>https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=make.more.r2d2.cellular_z&hl=en_DE&gl=DE
>
>> It's a good app and worth the $4.99 investment:
>
>If the app is doing what it appears to be doing, that's a bad investment.
>It appears to be spyware but I don't know that for absolutely sure.
>
>That is why I asked if others can reproduce what I'm seeing.
>Did you reproduce what I saw AFTER you rebooted?
>
>(Again, I apologize that I did not state that I had rebooted many
>times before I reported what my test results were in the original post).
>
>> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.android.telnet2>
>> <https://www.kaibits-software.com/product_netwotksignaldonate.htm>
>
>This isn't at all about what the app does though.
>This question is only why the app needs to have Google Play Store running.
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Re: Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to run?

<tjudio$iie$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=372&group=alt.internet.wireless#372

From: erho...@pobox.com (Erholt Rhein)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,alt.privacy
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 19:40:33 +0100
 by: Erholt Rhein - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 18:40 UTC

On Wed, 2 Nov 2022 08:11:56 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

>> I do NOT understand WHY this app REQUIRES Google Play Store spyware to run.
>> Can you explain why?
>
> Simplest explanation is that the author (like 99.whatever% of android phone
> users) has play store enabled, developed the app and didn't even think to test
> it without play store, maybe the software want a unique identifier to
> crowdsource data from the users, and if it can't get one it handles that poorly?

Occam's Razor would tend to agree with you that it's just an innocent coding
error this particular author (and no others that I know of) has made.

Certainly it's reproduceable on a new phone that this app won't come up
if the Google Play Store is disabled, force stopped, & the phone rebooted.

That means the app is definitely interacting with the Google Play Store app
(in a way that most other apps as far as we know do NOT interact that way).

Based on your previous advice a few months ago when this topic came up
https://developer.android.com/studio/command-line/logcat

From Windows I connected via adb to the phone over wifi and then typed
C:\> adb pair 192.168.1.3:35461 692572
Successfully paired to 192.168.1.3:35461 [guid=adb-MODEL-SERIAL]
C:\> adb logcat ActivityManager:I MyApp:D *:S

I was surprised that worked because "MyApp" shouldn't exist.
The app is actually "Network Cell Info Lite" "com.wilysis.cellinfolite".

Nonetheless, this output occurs whenever I tap on the app & it crashes.
11-02 11:25:00.346 1432 1476 I ActivityManager: Start proc 17023:com.wilysis.cellinfolite/u0a332 for pre-top-activity {com.wilysis.cellinfolite/com.wilysis.cellinfo.Arxikh}
11-02 11:25:00.376 1432 1700 I ActivityManager: DSS OFF for com.wilysis.cellinfolite
11-02 11:25:00.383 1432 1468 I ActivityManager: Changes in 10332 19 to 2, 0 to 15
11-02 11:25:00.594 1432 1476 I ActivityManager: Start proc 17113:com.google.android.webview:sandboxed_process0:org.chromium.content.app.SandboxedProcessService0:0/u0i7 for {com.wilysis.cellinfolite/org.chromium.content.app.SandboxedProcessService0:0}
11-02 11:25:00.594 1432 1476 I ActivityManager: check webview name : com.google.android.webview:sandboxed_process0:org.chromium.content.app.SandboxedProcessService0:0check hostingname webview : {com.wilysis.cellinfolite/org.chromium.content.app.SandboxedProcessService0:0}
11-02 11:25:00.617 1432 1652 I ActivityManager: DSS OFF for com.wilysis.cellinfolite
11-02 11:25:00.621 1432 1652 I ActivityManager: Changes in 99007 20 to 3, 0 to 15
11-02 11:25:00.651 1432 1700 W ActivityManager: Unable to start service Intent { act=com.android.vending.licensing.ILicensingService pkg=com.android.vending } U=0: not found
11-02 11:25:00.704 1432 3317 I ActivityManager: Process com.wilysis.cellinfolite (pid 17023) has died: fg TOP (171,1468)
11-02 11:25:00.706 1432 3317 I ActivityManager: Killing 17113:com.google.android.webview:sandboxed_process0:org.chromium.content.app.SandboxedProcessService0:0/u0a332i7 (adj 0): isolated not needed
11-02 11:25:00.706 1432 3317 I ActivityManager: Changes in 99007 3 to 19, 15 to 0

I don't know which lines matter but these seems to be important.
(1) Unable to start service ILicensingService
(2) pkg=com.android.vending
(3) Process com.wilysis.cellinfolite has died
(4) Killing com.google.android.webview:sandboxed_process

Notice the official name of the "Google Play Store" app is
"com.android.vending" so there is no doubt the correlation.

I suspect there is a "licensing service" inside of the
Google Play Store app (aka "com.android.vending") which is called
"com.android.vending.licensing.ILicensingService") that the app
"com.wilysis.cellinfolite" is depending upon that no other
app in my new Android 12 phone is dependent upon.

I suspect it's spyware but I don't know that for a fact.

All I know for sure is the app requires Google Play Store
to be running in order to come up on an Android 12 phone.

Re: Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to run?

<871qqicjf0.fsf@dajpkgx.jaieqo>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=373&group=alt.internet.wireless#373

From: ehj46PkB...@VW28LtWn6wknpUMV.invalid (5GyYap52yQ1UGMWD)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,alt.privacy
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 08:52:03 +0800
 by: 5GyYap52yQ1UGMWD - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 00:52 UTC

Erholt Rhein <erholtr@pobox.com> writes:

> On Wed, 02 Nov 2022 17:54:06 +0800, 5GyYap52yQ1UGMWD wrote:
>
>>> Why would an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to be running?
>>
>> Because most apps use Google Firebase for the analytics and push
>> notifications and because of that almost all Play Store apps require the
>> "Play Store Services" as a soft dependency. You can technically run
>> those apps without the "Play Store Services" but you will have a
>> neutered experience.
>
> You need to be very clear whether you're talking Google Play Store or
> Google Play Services because they're completely different on Android.

Oh yeah. I was just going with what I remembered at that moment. Yes,
I'm referring to the Google Play Services app.

> Specifically I disabled & forcestopped only the Google Play Store module
> and not the Google Play Services module for the test initially described.

This wouldn't do anything significant since the whole thing relies on
the "Services" app anyway.

> Checking again, this is the initial test condition:
> ENABLED/RUNNING Google Play Services 22.42.12
> DISABLED/FORCESTOPPED Google Play Store 32.9.14-21
>
> In checking my tests I forgot to mention in the original post that a reboot
> is required even if the app was both disabled and forcestopped in Android.
>
> Apparently pressing "Force stop" doesn't do what anyone would think it does
> since a reboot is required as can be shown when I tested your suggestion.
>
> Based on your suggestion, I tested this reverse scenario:
> DISABLED/FORCESTOPPED Google Play Services 22.42.12
> ENABLED/RUNNING Google Play Store 32.9.14-21
>
> In that test, the app still worked but that's when I realized things are
> DIFFERENT once you reboot after disabling and force stopping programs.
>
> Even turning off both and testing, the app still worked!
> DISABLED/FORCESTOPPED Google Play Services 22.42.12
> DISABLED/FORCESTOPPED Google Play Store 32.9.14-21
>
> Yet rebooting after the test condition above, the app crashed as before.
>
> Unfortunately, too many other errors resulted from Google Play Services
> disabled/forcestopped/rebooted as shown by notifictions after reboot.
> ERROR https://i.postimg.cc/qvMpkZrg/Clipboard01.jpg
> Enable Google Play Services
> [Name-of-app] won't work unless you enable Google Play Services

Yes, that's the issue. A lot of apps from the Play Store requires the
"Services" app to be even functional.

> If someone else can confirm the following, that would help all.
> (1) Install the app and make sure it pops up when tapped
> (2) Disable & force stop Google Play Store in Android settings
> (3) Reboot (this is the part I had forgotten I had done many times)
> (4) Try to run the app
>
> In my case, the app crashes if Google Play Store is not running.
> If that happens for others, the important question to ask is why.

As I said, it's because they're using Google's own push notifications
and analytics system. A lot of app developers don't really care that
much about user privacy and would rather use a proprietary
implementation that's easy to include in their project.

The only way out of it is to either use F-Droid apps which doesn't not
rely on Google's Firebase code or use a "Play Services Emulator" like
microG. The latter, however, requires you to fully wipe and reinstall
your phone's system ROM. That might not be possible depending on the
phone that you are currently using.

--
Pointless meanderings in a bleak and lonely world.

Re: Why. Why. Why does an app REQUIRE Google Play Store spyware to run?

<d9nemh1euad4qkk54l6pa9a17g5gmsi56i@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=375&group=alt.internet.wireless#375

From: char...@xxx.net (Charlie+)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.internet.wireless,alt.privacy
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 07:09:10 +0000
 by: Charlie+ - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 07:09 UTC

On Tue, 01 Nov 2022 23:14:42 -0500, e.day <e.day@panix.co> wrote as
underneath :

>SNIP
>
>Hi Arlen.