Reserve your abuse for your true friends. -- Larry Wall in <199712041852.KAA19364@wall.org>

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Texting vs. Sending to Make and Model of Phone.

SubjectAuthor
* Texting vs. Sending to Make and Model of Phone.micky
+* Re: Texting vs. Sending to Make and Model of Phone.Andy Burns
|`- Re: Texting vs. Sending to Make and Model of Phone.micky
`* Re: Texting vs. Sending to Make and Model of Phone.VanguardLH
 `* Re: Texting vs. Sending to Make and Model of Phone.Carlos E.R.
  `* Re: Texting vs. Sending to Make and Model of Phone.VanguardLH
   `- Re: Texting vs. Sending to Make and Model of Phone.Carlos E. R.

1
Texting vs. Sending to Make and Model of Phone.

<fbhgthtchhke69pac79t812dl89s34g8vn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37114&group=comp.mobile.android#37114

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Texting vs. Sending to Make and Model of Phone.
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 17:34:13 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 22:34 UTC

Google maps give you the choice of Texting the map you've created to
your phone number, OR Sending it to the phone, decribed by the make and
model of the phone.

I know what texting is, and I get the texts. But what is Sending it to
the phone. I'm not sure I've ever found that.

I usually do both, just to be sure

Re: Texting vs. Sending to Make and Model of Phone.

<k3s7prFaouvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37147&group=comp.mobile.android#37147

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Texting vs. Sending to Make and Model of Phone.
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 10:11:07 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 10:11 UTC

micky wrote:

> what is Sending it to the phone.

Just google maps on your desktop talking to google maps app on your phone.

IME it never does what you want, e.g. you might have entered a
destination on the desktop and tweaked the route, then send it to your
phone, which finds the destination from scratch, and ignores your route
changes, just picks the default.

Re: Texting vs. Sending to Make and Model of Phone.

<i97ithhvjsp0soqrrorpsqus7hoi888e7t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37156&group=comp.mobile.android#37156

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 08:58:18 -0500
 by: micky - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 13:58 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 31 Jan 2023 10:11:07 +0000, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> what is Sending it to the phone.
>
>Just google maps on your desktop talking to google maps app on your phone.

So it goes to google-maps. I have to leave in 3 hours... Let me look at
the phone.

Well, I got a text but not the one with the map. It's bubbling, twice,
but I don't know why. No added texts.

Aha, there are 3 badges on google maps. but when I start it, it just
shows the map, no blue line, no directions.

Medical test 20 miles away, but if I have to look at the map when I'm
close, it will be okay. Usually one of the two works fine, and I love
google maps. I'm good.

>IME it never does what you want, e.g. you might have entered a
>destination on the desktop and tweaked the route, then send it to your
>phone, which finds the destination from scratch, and ignores your route
>changes, just picks the default.

Re: Texting vs. Sending to Make and Model of Phone.

<1f9b63ra9h4l.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37184&group=comp.mobile.android#37184

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 22:26:24 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 04:26 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> Google maps give you the choice of Texting the map you've created to
> your phone number, OR Sending it to the phone, decribed by the make
> and model of the phone.
>
> I know what texting is, and I get the texts. But what is Sending it
> to the phone. I'm not sure I've ever found that.
>
> I usually do both, just to be sure

On my desktop, in Firefox, I loaded a map, and picked a location to
drive to. I wanted one route, but I chose a different candidate route
(same distance, same drive time, but far less traffic lights).

I see the "Send directions to your phone". When I click on that, I get
choices on how to send: send to phone, e-mail, or text. I'm assuming
the e-mail and text choices give you a URL that opens to the Google Maps
site. I tested the following:

- Send via e-mail. I get an e-mail with a goo.gl redirection URL.
Clicking the hyperlink opens the map inside of Google Assistant
(instead of my web browser of Firefox).
- Send via text. That sends a text to my phone with the goo.gl
redirection URL. Clicking on the hyperlink opens the map inside of
Google Assistant.
- Send to phone. Sends a message to my Google account which connects to
the Google Maps app on my phone (because it is logged into my Google
account to make use of all the Google services), so the map loads into
the Google Maps app on my phone.

That last one won't work unless you are logged into your Google account
on both your smartphone, and in the Google Maps web page where you
created the route.

Is there a reason you couldn't test all this yourself? Thought Google
would grenade your smartphone?

Re: Texting vs. Sending to Make and Model of Phone.

<1rqpajxpip.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37188&group=comp.mobile.android#37188

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 11:17:37 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 10:17 UTC

On 2023-02-01 05:26, VanguardLH wrote:
> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> Google maps give you the choice of Texting the map you've created to
>> your phone number, OR Sending it to the phone, decribed by the make
>> and model of the phone.
>>
>> I know what texting is, and I get the texts. But what is Sending it
>> to the phone. I'm not sure I've ever found that.
>>
>> I usually do both, just to be sure
>
> On my desktop, in Firefox, I loaded a map, and picked a location to
> drive to. I wanted one route, but I chose a different candidate route
> (same distance, same drive time, but far less traffic lights).

I tried. First I opened a different Firefox profile that is dedicated to
login to Google. I calculate a route, change it, then click on send to
phone.

It displays a:

- list of all my phones and tablets, identified by brand and model.
- mail
- sms (editable)

1: open in google maps. Does not take my altered route.
2: opens in google maps. Does not take my altered route.
3: opens in google maps. Does not take my altered route.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Texting vs. Sending to Make and Model of Phone.

<ln0wjp1212ur$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37203&group=comp.mobile.android#37203

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 10:28:12 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 16:28 UTC

"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Google maps give you the choice of Texting the map you've created to
>>> your phone number, OR Sending it to the phone, decribed by the make
>>> and model of the phone.
>>>
>>> I know what texting is, and I get the texts. But what is Sending it
>>> to the phone. I'm not sure I've ever found that.
>>>
>>> I usually do both, just to be sure
>>
>> On my desktop, in Firefox, I loaded a map, and picked a location to
>> drive to. I wanted one route, but I chose a different candidate route
>> (same distance, same drive time, but far less traffic lights).
>
> I tried. First I opened a different Firefox profile that is dedicated to
> login to Google. I calculate a route, change it, then click on send to
> phone.
>
> It displays a:
>
> - list of all my phones and tablets, identified by brand and model.
> - mail
> - sms (editable)
>
> 1: open in google maps. Does not take my altered route.
> 2: opens in google maps. Does not take my altered route.
> 3: opens in google maps. Does not take my altered route.

I only checked that I got a map using send, email, and sms. I forgot to
check if it got a modified routing map. Plus, I only selected one of
the suggested routes when I gave Google Maps on my desktop via web
browser, not drag around the lines to create a modified map. My
recollection is the Android Google Maps apps doesn't let you drag around
the lines to customize your route.

Perhaps you can add waypoints to your custom app to see if that gets
sent to the phone. It would be unusable to have multiple stop overs in
a route in Google Maps in a web browser on the PC, and then have the
Android Google Assistant or Google Maps app just throw them away.

Re: Texting vs. Sending to Make and Model of Phone.

<k3vm6nFo7a9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37205&group=comp.mobile.android#37205

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 18:35:19 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 17:35 UTC

On 2023-02-01 17:28, VanguardLH wrote:
> "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>> VanguardLH wrote:

>>> On my desktop, in Firefox, I loaded a map, and picked a location to
>>> drive to. I wanted one route, but I chose a different candidate route
>>> (same distance, same drive time, but far less traffic lights).
>>
>> I tried. First I opened a different Firefox profile that is dedicated to
>> login to Google. I calculate a route, change it, then click on send to
>> phone.
>>
>> It displays a:
>>
>> - list of all my phones and tablets, identified by brand and model.
>> - mail
>> - sms (editable)
>>
>> 1: open in google maps. Does not take my altered route.
>> 2: opens in google maps. Does not take my altered route.
>> 3: opens in google maps. Does not take my altered route.
>
> I only checked that I got a map using send, email, and sms. I forgot to
> check if it got a modified routing map. Plus, I only selected one of
> the suggested routes when I gave Google Maps on my desktop via web
> browser, not drag around the lines to create a modified map. My
> recollection is the Android Google Maps apps doesn't let you drag around
> the lines to customize your route.

I just chose the alternate route it offered.

> Perhaps you can add waypoints to your custom app to see if that gets
> sent to the phone. It would be unusable to have multiple stop overs in
> a route in Google Maps in a web browser on the PC, and then have the
> Android Google Assistant or Google Maps app just throw them away.

Of course, but I did not try this. Mind, the TomTom thing is also stupid
in this respect.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.