From: fre...@wb4aej.com (fred)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: [telecom] Not Receiving Texts from Some But Not Others
Date: 6 Nov 2022 17:09:08 +0000
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: fred - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 17:09 UTC

Over the last couple of weeks, I have been noticing some strange
things about receiving texts.

I use Callcentric. They provide texting service as an optional
add on to your phone service.

A few days ago, I got an email from our local recorder's office.
They had tried to send me a confirmation that my ballot had been
counted. But they had determined that my number was not in service.
They informed me that they had dropped my number from their records
for that reason. When I asked why, they said they had received
notification that my number had been taken out of service. They did
reinstate my number. They also sent me a test text message from their
system. But, I did not receive it. I did receive one text from them
acknowledging that my ballot had been counted [after the primary a few
months ago].

I contacted Callcentric. They couldn't shed any light on why.
They don't seem to be interested enough to look into it further.

Additionally, I don't seem to be receiving texts on several of my
accounts that require two factor authentication. Just this morning, I
encountered this when I attempted to log into my Walmart account.
Never got the verification texts. So I added one more to that list.

I am firmly convinced that something is going on that is beyond
my immediate control.

I am receiving texts from my friends and some business people.

FYI, I got that number from Magic Jack about seven or eight years
ago. I ported it over to Callcentric when I established service with
them.

I am looking for any suggestions or feedback that anyone can
provide that may assist in resolving this situation.

Regards, and thanks in advance.

Fred, WB4AEJ

Re: [telecom] Not Receiving Texts from Some But Not Others

<6NycnZPBm-Jz4fT-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3722&group=comp.dcom.telecom#3722

From: Retired....@serv-2.i.ord.giganews.com
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Date: 7 Nov 2022 16:47:26 -0500
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Retired....@serv-2.i.ord.giganews.com - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 21:47 UTC

On 11/6/22 12:09 PM, fred wrote:
> Over the last couple of weeks, I have been noticing some strange
> things about receiving texts.
>
> I use Callcentric. They provide texting service as an optional
> add on to your phone service.
>
> A few days ago, I got an email from our local recorder's office.
> They had tried to send me a confirmation that my ballot had been
> counted. But they had determined that my number was not in service.
> They informed me that they had dropped my number from their records
> for that reason. When I asked why, they said they had received
> notification that my number had been taken out of service. They did
> reinstate my number. They also sent me a test text message from their
> system. But, I did not receive it. I did receive one text from them
> acknowledging that my ballot had been counted [after the primary a few
> months ago].
>
> I contacted Callcentric. They couldn't shed any light on why.
> They don't seem to be interested enough to look into it further.
>
> Additionally, I don't seem to be receiving texts on several of my
> accounts that require two factor authentication. Just this morning, I
> encountered this when I attempted to log into my Walmart account.
> Never got the verification texts. So I added one more to that list.
>
> I am firmly convinced that something is going on that is beyond
> my immediate control.
>
> I am receiving texts from my friends and some business people.
>
> FYI, I got that number from Magic Jack about seven or eight years
> ago. I ported it over to Callcentric when I established service with
> them.
>
> I am looking for any suggestions or feedback that anyone can
> provide that may assist in resolving this situation.
>
> Regards, and thanks in advance.
>
> Fred, WB4AEJ

Some time ago I had the very same problem. In my case I was able to call
T-Mobile and have them re-enable my line/phone to receive SMS "Short
Codes" . For unknown reasons they had them turned off. :-(

See
https://www.iphonetricks.org/how-to-fix-short-code-sms-not-working-on-iphone/

and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_code