In the long run, every program becomes rococco, and then rubble. -- Alan Perlis

computers / comp.mobile.android / 73a. Sideloading of Apps.

SubjectAuthor
* 73a. Sideloading of Apps.REVIEW SMS GOOGLE DOC
+* Re: 73a. Sideloading of Apps.nospam
|`* Re: 73a. Sideloading of Apps.REVIEW SMS GOOGLE DOC
| `- Re: 73a. Sideloading of Apps.REVIEW SMS GOOGLE DOC
+* Re: 73a. Sideloading of Apps.Jolly Roger
|`* Re: 73a. Sideloading of Apps.REVIEW SMS GOOGLE DOC
| +- Re: 73a. Sideloading of Apps.Joerg Lorenz
| `- Re: 73a. Sideloading of Apps.Jolly Roger
`- Re: 73a. Sideloading of Apps.Joerg Lorenz

1
73a. Sideloading of Apps.

<trhlk4$1476o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37274&group=comp.mobile.android#37274

From: rev...@smsgoogledoc.com (REVIEW SMS GOOGLE DOC)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Subject: 73a. Sideloading of Apps.
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 16:48:19 -0800
 by: REVIEW SMS GOOGLE DO - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 00:48 UTC

The doc is excellent but it needs people to review it who know more than
the author knows about certain features of either iOS or Android.

Instead of those people just saying "it's wrong", they should strive to add
what's right, which is what I'm attempting to honestly do below to improve
the document so that it does become world famous, as it's currently billed.

If anything I say is not correct below, please feel free to correct it, but
don't just say "it's wrong" which is the lame thing to do.

Say what's right.
I'll start so that the author can include my comments into his document.

If the author changes nothing, then I've included the original to check
against, as there is no way the author should ignore what I say below
because it's right as far as I know, and better than what the author wrote.

Android and iOS features that Users of the Other Operating System Wish they Had
73a. Sideloading of Apps.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JznrWfGJDA8CYVfjSnPTwfVy8-gAC0kPyaApuJTcUNE/edit#

This section is useful, but it provides the wrong advice, which isn't
necessarily wrong in its totality, but just wrong in that nobody who knew
what they were doing would do it the way that the document suggests, that's
all.

What the document needs is better advice, which I am providing below for
the author to consider including in section 73a of that Google document.

There's nothing wrong with mentioning the evozi site the author described
but nobody would use it who knows anything about Android. And even then,
there must be scores of similar APK archives, also which nobody would use
either - simply because more venerable and better trusted sites exist.

Using evozi is like using download.cnet.com to find all your Windows
programs. Sure, it works, but the only people who use cnet to get their
programs are those who don't know anything about Windows. They're noobs.

Same with evozi. It's a site for Android noobs who don't know any better.

Most people will use the well-trusted F-Droid or Aurora Droid or the
trusted Samsung Galaxy Store or the Amazon or Guardian or MicroG
sideloading sites instead of evozi, where the only advantage of evozi is it
saves all the old versions but so does F-Droid and Github so even that one
advantage is mooted. Which is why nobody who knows Android uses evozi.

Make a note that with iOS there is zero chance you'll find an older version
of the app whereas with Android there's nearly a 100% chance that you will
(if you ever do need an older version and, well, it happens. It just does.)

Not only is none of the above available for iOS, you can't get a copycap
Apple App Store client for iOS, but they exist in many forms on Android.

In fact, the well respected copycat Google Play Store clients (such as Yalp
or Aurora) are considered better than the default stock Google Play Store
client, in that they load the exact apps but using a much better interface
with much better filters and far better downloading & installation options.

None of that is available for iOS, and it's very powerful indeed.

In addition to all of that above which isn't available for iOS sideloading,
most developers have their own sideloading sites, and most open source apps
are found on the classic repos of github, sourceforge and aosp sites.

Most of those allow you to save the APK so that you can re-install the app
on any phone in the future (plus you can extract the app if you forget).

Absolutely none of that is available on iOS but none of that is mentioned.
if the author is going to discuss sideloading, at least cover the basics.

What you need to do is mention those sites, which are far more often used
by people who know Android than anyone who uses "evozi" (which is only used
by people who aren't aware of the other much more reputable sites
existing).

Also keep in mind that all Android phones run, by default, every day, a
heuristic antivirus scan and they run that scan again on every single app
installation, even if that installation happens outside the Google Play
Store. So all those who fear sideloading are fearing fear itself for no
good reason.

None of this is even possible on the Apple iOS platform, so it all should
be included in that section 73a "Sideloading of Apps" if it's to be useful.

I'm not asking the author to make all the changes I suggested above, but if
the author makes none of them, then it's clear he has no interest in truly
making it the world famous document he bills it as.

My advice is good, but others should be able to add more than I know (which
I welcome, because while I know more than does the author about this one
bullet item, I don't know everything so please do add to what I've
suggested so the document becomes better as a result of our efforts).

To see if changes are made, here is the current 73a section exactly as is.

73a. Sideloading of Apps. Apple has shown courage in not allowing
sideloading of apps. They could increase their worldwide market share by
several percentage points if they allowed apps from other sources to be
installed on the iPhone (without jailbreaking) but they believe that this
would not be in the best interest of users. With Android, you can install
apps from a huge number of sources. You just have to be careful about not
installing malware, but there are many highly reputable Android apps stores
that carefully screen the apps that they make available. Sometimes Google
Play Store apps will work on a specific device but can't be directly
installed because the phone manufacturer doesn't allow installation. For
example, Samsung Pay works fine on A series phones, some of which even have
MST (Magnetic Secure Transmission), but Samsung doesn't allow Samsung Pay
to be installed from the Google Play Store.
On your computer:
Find the app on the Google Play store. Copy the URL.
Go to https://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/
Paste the URL into the box and click on "Generate Download Link"
Copy the APK that is generated over to the tablet and install it, and hope
that the app works on your device.
Available on Jailbroken iPhones [Return to Android Table of Contents]

Re: 73a. Sideloading of Apps.

<020220232017111923%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37275&group=comp.mobile.android#37275

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: 73a. Sideloading of Apps.
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2023 20:17:11 -0500
 by: nospam - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 01:17 UTC

In article <trhlk4$1476o$1@dont-email.me>, REVIEW SMS GOOGLE DOC
<review@smsgoogledoc.com> wrote:

> Instead of those people just saying "it's wrong", they should strive to add
> what's right,

many people did that, but he refuses to add anything that debunks his
claims and doesn't fit his narrative.

Re: 73a. Sideloading of Apps.

<k43eq4Fe9d8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37276&group=comp.mobile.android#37276

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: 3 Feb 2023 03:53:40 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 03:53 UTC

On 2023-02-03, REVIEW SMS GOOGLE DOC <review@smsgoogledoc.com> wrote:
> The doc is excellent but it needs people to review it who know more
> than the author knows about certain features of either iOS or Android.

You and sms need to lay off the zealot drugs, Arlen. Nobody but your
little trollboi gang cares about your silly, little Google docs
presentation of Android advocacy talking points. Grow a life.

JR

Re: 73a. Sideloading of Apps.

<tri63t$19kpg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37277&group=comp.mobile.android#37277

From: rev...@smsgoogledoc.com (REVIEW SMS GOOGLE DOC)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 21:29:48 -0800
 by: REVIEW SMS GOOGLE DO - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 05:29 UTC

On 3 Feb 2023 03:53:40 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:
> little Google docs presentation of Android advocacy talking points.
> Grow a life.

You may be correct the document is inaccurate, or, you may be wrong.
Time will tell - which is why I created this thread - to improve it.

The document does have some excellent talking points.
It just needs a bit of work on accuracy in some of its talking points.

Like item "73a. Sideloading of Apps", which, let's be frank... is critical
as it's one of the _major_ differences between the two ecosystems.

Is it not?

Hence, for you to belittle the doc would only make sense if the author does
NOT include the posted information that I presented about sideloading.

My point to the author was almost nobody uses the evozi type sites except
the noobs, just was with Windows the noobs use Softpedia downloads.

The experienced users don't use those sites, which was why I explained to
that author that F-Droid & Aurora Droid, in addition to the Galaxy Store
(and in some cases, Amazon), are well-respected sites people sideload from.

In addition, unlike with iOS, there are excellent copycat clients for the
Google Play Store, which is what the knowledgeable Android owners use.

They get _all_ the benefits of the Google Play Store repository, without
any of the drawbacks inherent in having to use the Google Play Store app.

In addition, a typical Android user isn't driven insane by fear like a
typical iOS owner is, where the native antivirus on Android runs daily and
also upon every app installation - so sideloading isn't something to fear.

The fact that none of this power is available for iOS users is why it's one
of the most important sections of the author's Google document, which
purports to compare the major differences between Android & iOS ecosystems.

If the author of the Google document takes _none_ of the information I
provided into account, then we will have proof that the document isn't what
the author claims it to be.

If he does take the advice into account, we can move on to the next topic.
Either way, in the end, we'll all benefit from the knowledge that we glean.

Let's see how the author of the document responds, shall we.

Re: 73a. Sideloading of Apps.

<tri79q$19qh7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37278&group=comp.mobile.android#37278

From: rev...@smsgoogledoc.com (REVIEW SMS GOOGLE DOC)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 21:50:01 -0800
 by: REVIEW SMS GOOGLE DO - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 05:50 UTC

On Thu, 02 Feb 2023 20:17:11 -0500, nospam wrote:
>> Instead of those people just saying "it's wrong", they should strive to add
>> what's right,
>
> many people did that, but he refuses to add anything that debunks his
> claims and doesn't fit his narrative.

That may be true. Or it may not be true. I suspect the author of that
document wants to come across as knowing more than he actually knows.

Which is ok... if... if the author has the capacity to learn.
And, that will be shown by whether or not the author _improves_ the doc.

The author says he _does_ take suggested improvements into account.
So let's test him at his word.
That's why I presented the information - and - I copied the current status.

Given one of the major differences between the two platforms is the ability
for any user to easily sideload apps, I thought we'd _start_ with item 73a.
73a. Sideloading of Apps.

Personally, I was appalled at how sophomoric the "evozi" suggestions were,
in that it's what noobs use - noobs who do NOT know Android well (IMHO).

People who know Android well sideload first and foremost from the well
established repos, whether that's F-Droid, Guardian, Galaxy or Amazon.

If they must, they load directly from the Google Play Store repository, but
without using the Google Play Store app, which is easily done with Android.

In addition, unlike with iOS, users can stockpile _all_ their apps,
including system apps if they so choose, and re-use them on _any_ Android
device, which is one of the most efficient aspects of Android not on iOS.

Even if Android owners do not think to stockpile apps ahead of time, every
time they install an app, the installer is autosaved to their sd card.

All they have to do is pop the sd card out of the Android phone and pop it
into a PC to save all their installed apps onto that secondary computer.

That way, if they lose the phone or if they wish to populate any number of
future Androids, it's trivial to just copy all the APKs onto the new phone.

In effect, on Android you save onto the sd card _every_ app you ever
installed onto that phone, and every version of every app you installed.

All automatically.

None of this is available with iOS so that's why it's important for the doc
but I suspect the author of that doc doesn't know what any of this data.

Which is why I'm bringing it up.
If he does not add this data to his document, then yes, you'd be right.
But if he does, then it just meant he didn't know this information.

Until now.

BTW, in addition to autosaving all APKs to the sd card upon installation,
there's not much stopping any user from _extracting_ the APK after
installation.

The point being if the author of the document is not yet aware of these
advantages to Android sideloading that iOS completely lacks, that's OK.

But after reading this thread, the author can not remain unaware.
If the author truly cares that his document is 'world class' (as he claims
it is), then I have confidence he _will_ add this information to the doc.

If he does not add it though, then you would be right.
Let's let the author make his choice now that the information is provided.

If the document is improved, then we all benefit from his efforts & mine.
If the document is never improved, well then, we can conclude it's a farce.

It's up to the author now.

I will back out as I have other bullet items to work on if the author is
receptive to being provided more information than he currently is aware of.

Re: 73a. Sideloading of Apps.

<tri7li$d2rq$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37279&group=comp.mobile.android#37279

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 06:56:02 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 05:56 UTC

Am 03.02.23 um 01:48 schrieb REVIEW SMS GOOGLE DOC:
> The doc is excellent but it needs people to review it who know more than
> the author knows about certain features of either iOS or Android.
>
> Instead of those people just saying "it's wrong", they should strive to add
> what's right, which is what I'm attempting to honestly do below to improve
> the document so that it does become world famous, as it's currently billed.
>
> If anything I say is not correct below, please feel free to correct it, but
> don't just say "it's wrong" which is the lame thing to do.

You are OT here. Especially for the iOS-group.
You are a Super Troll.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: 73a. Sideloading of Apps.

<tri9p3$1a6om$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37280&group=comp.mobile.android#37280

From: rev...@smsgoogledoc.com (REVIEW SMS GOOGLE DOC)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 22:32:18 -0800
 by: REVIEW SMS GOOGLE DO - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 06:32 UTC

On Thu, 2 Feb 2023 21:50:01 -0800, REVIEW SMS GOOGLE DOC wrote:
> All they have to do is pop the sd card out of the Android phone and pop it
> into a PC to save all their installed apps onto that secondary computer.

oops.

I noticed that I said Android owners could autosave all installed APKs to
the sd card and then they could pop that well-populated sd card into any
PC, which they can - but better yet - they can pop it into any other phone.

It's portable.
No USB. No cloud. No Wi-Fi. Just pure unadulterated portability sd is.

That way they can repopulate that new recipient phone with the exact same
apps and their exact versions which they had on the original donor phone.

Since people tend to replace phones every few years, they can re-use the sd
card on all those phones, where after a while, they have every app they
ever installed all on the sd card (which gets moved from phone to phone),
just waiting for the next phone to populate (and then the next after that).

Of course, this works similarly with internal storage with the caveat that
the sd card is portable while internal storage is not as portable, that
easy portability being the whole point of sd cards in the first place.

In addition... a super powerful feature of Android (not in iOS?) is...

Depending on the launcher used, when an Android owner populates a new
phone, he can load the old folder & app hierarchy onto the new phone.

Then he can install all the same apps into the same locations they were on
the old phone - with absolutely nothing else changing between the phones.

No USB. No cloud. No login. No nothing. Just the sd card with all the apps.
All icons are in EXACTLY the same location in the new phone as was the old.

I don't know if iOS has that capability of re-installing all the old app
icons from the old phone into EXACTLY the same spot on _every_ new phone.

Can it?

If not, that's yet another difference between iOS and Android ecosystems
which the author can consider adding to the doc purporting to explain the
major differences between teh two ecosystem, particularly in terms of
sideloading, app archives, app portability & app APK re-use in new phones.

Re: 73a. Sideloading of Apps.

<trj7e8$e94g$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37282&group=comp.mobile.android#37282

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 15:58:16 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 14:58 UTC

Am 03.02.23 um 06:29 schrieb REVIEW SMS GOOGLE DOC:
> On 3 Feb 2023 03:53:40 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> little Google docs presentation of Android advocacy talking points.
>> Grow a life.
>
> You may be correct the document is inaccurate, or, you may be wrong.
> Time will tell - which is why I created this thread - to improve it.
>
> The document does have some excellent talking points.
> It just needs a bit of work on accuracy in some of its talking points.
>
> Like item "73a. Sideloading of Apps", which, let's be frank... is critical
> as it's one of the _major_ differences between the two ecosystems.
>
> Is it not?

You are definitely sick.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: 73a. Sideloading of Apps.

<k44q96Fkn75U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37284&group=comp.mobile.android#37284

Followup: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: 3 Feb 2023 16:15:34 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 16:15 UTC

["Followup-To:" header set to misc.phone.mobile.iphone.]
On 2023-02-03, REVIEW SMS GOOGLE DOC <review@smsgoogledoc.com> wrote:
> On 3 Feb 2023 03:53:40 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:
>>
>> little Google docs presentation of Android advocacy talking points.
>> Grow a life.
>
> You may be correct the document is inaccurate

So on top of being a useless Android zealot, you also fail at reading
comprehension, since I said nothing about accuracy in my post. Par for
the course. You people truly are useless.

> Let's see how the author of the document responds, shall we.

Nah. Your little trollboi gang can just fuck off.

JR