From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: seamless updates
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 16:58:55 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 16:58 UTC

sms wrote:

>> https://www.androidpolice.com/samsung-galaxy-s23-seamless-updates/
>
> Yes, Apple does "seamless" updates and Android does not.

Unfortunately, you, Steve, are clueless of how Android seamlessly updates.
(Paradoxically, the reason is _because_ those updates have been seamless!)

It depends on how you wish to define the generic word "seamless", where I'm
defining it as an update that occurs without the user even knowing it did.

Fact is, all common operating systems _other_ than iOS seamlessly update.

> I never thought about this much because the total time for an update
> doesn't differ much, in fact if you don't allow the iOS update to
> download before the update it can actually take longer than an Android
> update because of the way that iOS does updates.

*Android updates most of its layers seamlessly every single day.*
*Whether you ignorant iKooks understand that known fact. Or not.*
*In fact, it's so seamless, you don't even realize that it happens!*

The point that needs to be made is that Android is updated in _layers_.
The version number of the operating system is just _one_ of those layers.
Most of the Android layers are updated without the user even knowing it.

For example, if Apple is told of an exploit in the wild for Safari, the
entire primitive iOS monolith has to be built and distributed to everyone.

Meanwhile, in _every_ other operating system _other_ than iOS, if Google or
Microsoft are told of a bug in their default web browser, they simply have
to distribute a fix to that _single_ layer, in this case, the browser app.

This happens seamlessly in most cases, without the user even knowing it.

> I added this to the document
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JznrWfGJDA8CYVfjSnPTwfVy8-gAC0kPyaApuJTcUNE/>
> as 51i on page 16.

Steve - you are wrong because you don't understand how Android updates.

There's no mention, for example, of the Android 10 and up project
mainstream updates, nor the project treble Qualcomm firmware updates.

Nor any mention of the fact that all apps can update "seamlessly" in the
background via a mechanism whose Activity is controlled by the user in the
Google Play Store app - but which is on by default for seamless updates.

> I also went through the document this morning and made some other
> corrections due to out-of-date information. Apple now has high-refresh
> LTPO displays on some models (beginning with the iPhone 13 Pro/Pro Max)
> so 23a is now struck-out. Wi-Fi calling now works on the iPhone with
> Google-Fi (iOS 15.4 or newer), though 5G still requires a kludgy
> workaround and requires the use of a physical SIM card.

Unfortunately, you, Steve, are clueless of how Android seamlessly updates.
(Paradoxically, the reason is _because_ those updates have been seamless!)

I doubt you (or anyone on this child-like newsgroup) has any understanding
of what I just informed you of, Steve, so I'll summarize it for all of you.

All of those are "seamless" in terms of it happening without the user even
being aware of it having been happening for years on end for Android 10+.

Re: seamless updates

<trm345$f0ir$2@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37333&group=comp.mobile.android#37333

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 18:03:01 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 17:03 UTC

Am 04.02.23 um 17:58 schrieb Andy Burnelli:
> sms wrote:
>
>>> https://www.androidpolice.com/samsung-galaxy-s23-seamless-updates/
>>
>> Yes, Apple does "seamless" updates and Android does not.
>
> Unfortunately, you, Steve, are clueless of how Android seamlessly updates.
> (Paradoxically, the reason is _because_ those updates have been seamless!)

*ROTFLSTC*. Nothing with my Android devices lives up to the meaning of
seamless. Seamless means uninterrupted operation.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)