From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: seamless updates
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 17:55:01 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 17:55 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> Plus the iOS image is significantly smaller than the Android image for
>> obvious reasons.
>
> conveniently neglecting to mention what they are.

Adult observation... (this post contains information people on this ng
will not be able to comprehend because of their lack of mental capacity).

*What exactly is the size difference between Android/iOS updates?*

It is an interesting question, the answer to which I doubt neither Steve
nor nospam (nor any of the low-IQ ignorant iKooks) own the mental capacity
to comprehend how _differently_ the two operating systems actually update.

To put it succinctly for those who don't understand operating systems...
a. All operating systems _other_ than iOS update in asynchronous layers.
b. Only iOS updates in using the primitively Paleolithic monolith
c. But even so, iOS breaks down that monolith individually for each device.

That means, for example, on _my_ iOS devices (which are rarely updated),
the iOS monolith will be hugely larger than on, oh say, nospam's device,
which he likely updates every single time Apple pushes out a new release.

> is the smaller and more efficient code size of ios listed in your
> 'document'? rhetorical question.

*What exactly is the size difference between Android/iOS updates?*

Given it's obvious that neither nospam nor Steve even _understands_ that
iOS updates differently than _all_ other common consumer operating systems,
I doubt there is a simple answer to the "code size" question as a result.

The whole iOS monolith has to be built if Apple is told about a Webkit flaw
exploited in the wild that requires only a single line of code to fix.

Yet, for any individual user, only that "portion" of the iOS code that
changed between their prior release and this new release, gets updated.

It's not clear that nospam or Steve comprehends what I just explained.

Likewise, for Android, the Google Framework has a switch (on by default),
which seamlessly updates only the one Chrome app which has that update.

Who is to say which of those two "one line" updates is larger or smaller?

>> I suppose Google could limit seamless updates to phones with at least
>> 64GB of storage but there' not a reason to spend a lot of effort on this
>> feature since almost no one really cares about it.
>
> there you go again, when any time android can't do something, 'nobody
> really cares about it' despite evidence to the contrary, yet you're
> happy to mention things that favour android which really do not matter
> at all.

*What exactly is the size difference between Android/iOS updates?*

Unfortunately, nospam, the horribly ugly thing about your personality is
that you own no tenets of common behavior in that every accusation you make
of Steve is actually what you do all the time, far more than Steve does it.

On this, badgolferman recently called you out, where he's one of the few
adults on this newsgroup - so you should have taken heed when he did that.

Your inner personality is so appalling, nospam, so unseemly, that you
always project your own loathsome personal traits onto people like Steve.

>> You do an update and
>> a few minutes later it's done. Splitting up the time between "download"
>> and "install" is not buying you much.
>
> actually, it does, which is one reason why it's split.

*What exactly is the size difference between Android/iOS updates?*

If any adults are on this newsgroup, the question to answer is what are the
size differences given how completely differently the monolithic iOS
updates compared to how Android (and all other common operating systems)
update.

To oversimplify for the least educated people on this ng to grasp...
a. Android updates in _layers_, each of which can be different in size
b. iOS updates monolithically - but - each device update is tailored
for that device - so the size is dependent on device-specific factors.

Having expended appreciable information in the above post, I doubt there is
a single person on the Apple newsgroup who owns the adult mental capacity
to comprehend a single word I said, but whether or not you can comprehend
these facts, one of my goals is to disseminate the truth to everyone.

Whether or not you own the mental capacity to comprehend what I explained.
--
This is posted because I have two goals on this newsgroup, one of which is
to learn and disseminate useful information; information which most people

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: seamless updates