"Help save the world!" -- Larry Wall in README

computers / comp.misc / Re: Mr Bates Versus The Post Office

SubjectAuthor
* Mr Bates Versus The Post OfficeLawrence D'Oliveiro
+* Re: Mr Bates Versus The Post OfficeBungleBob
|`* Re: Mr Bates Versus The Post OfficeLawrence D'Oliveiro
| `* Re: Mr Bates Versus The Post OfficeLawrence D'Oliveiro
|  `- Re: Mr Bates Versus The Post OfficeAdrian
`* Re: Mr Bates Versus The Post OfficeLawrence D'Oliveiro
 +* Re: Mr Bates Versus The Post OfficeBob Eager
 |`- Re: Mr Bates Versus The Post OfficeBruce Horrocks
 `* Re: Mr Bates Versus The Post OfficeJohn McCue
  `- Re: Mr Bates Versus The Post OfficeBungleBob

1
Mr Bates Versus The Post Office

<uudm8e$2b767$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3668&group=comp.misc#3668

From: ldo...@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,nz.comp
Subject: Mr Bates Versus The Post Office
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 07:03:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 07:03 UTC

In one of the most shameful scandals in the history of Information
Technology, the British Post Office deployed a bug-ridden system
called “Horizon” for the use of its sub-postmasters (post office
branch managers) to report their accounts. Then, when it started
producing completely false results, often with discrepancies amounting
to thousands of pounds, and those sub-postmasters tried complaining
and seeking corrections, it insisted there were no such flaws in the
system, telling each one of those complaining that there had been no
other complaints, and demanded those branch managers, as per their
contracts, must make up the discrepancies out of their own pockets.

This miserable saga continued from 1999 to 2015. Over this time, many
of those sub-postmasters were driven to ruin. Some were prosecuted and
jailed, their stories simply disbelieved. Some even committed suicide.

ITV broadcast a four-part docudrama
<https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27867155/> about the scandal back in
January, and it has just made its way to us in NZ. If it comes to your
town or country, it’s worth a watch.

The Register has done a number of articles as the story has come to
light, as far back as 2019
<https://www.theregister.com/2019/03/15/post_office_horizon_it_system_initial_judgment/>,
right up to this year
<https://www.theregister.com/2024/01/17/post_office_inquiry_latest/>,
<https://www.theregister.com/2024/02/01/fujitsu_finance_chief_apologises_horizon_inquiry/>.

Re: Mr Bates Versus The Post Office

<uudn3i$2bs8b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3669&group=comp.misc#3669

From: bungle...@thejungle.com (BungleBob)
Newsgroups: nz.comp,comp.misc
Subject: Re: Mr Bates Versus The Post Office
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 20:18:10 +1300
 by: BungleBob - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 07:18 UTC

On 2024-04-01 07:03:42 +0000, Lawrence D'Oliveiro said:

> In one of the most shameful scandals in the history of Information
> Technology, the British Post Office deployed a bug-ridden system
> called “Horizon” for the use of its sub-postmasters (post office
> branch managers) to report their accounts. Then, when it started
> producing completely false results, often with discrepancies amounting
> to thousands of pounds, and those sub-postmasters tried complaining
> and seeking corrections, it insisted there were no such flaws in the
> system, telling each one of those complaining that there had been no
> other complaints, and demanded those branch managers, as per their
> contracts, must make up the discrepancies out of their own pockets.
>
> This miserable saga continued from 1999 to 2015. Over this time, many
> of those sub-postmasters were driven to ruin. Some were prosecuted and
> jailed, their stories simply disbelieved. Some even committed suicide.
>
> ITV broadcast a four-part docudrama
> <https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27867155/> about the scandal back in
> January, and it has just made its way to us in NZ. If it comes to your
> town or country, it’s worth a watch.
>
> The Register has done a number of articles as the story has come to
> light, as far back as 2019
> <https://www.theregister.com/2019/03/15/post_office_horizon_it_system_initial_judgment/>,
>
> right up to this year
> <https://www.theregister.com/2024/01/17/post_office_inquiry_latest/>,
> <https://www.theregister.com/2024/02/01/fujitsu_finance_chief_apologises_horizon_inquiry/>.

The docu-drama started on TV One yesterday (8:30pm, Sun, 31 March) and
concludes tonight (8:30pm, Mon, 1 April) ... TVNZ played them as two
double-length episodes. They are also available on the TVNZ+ streamaing
service.
<https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/mr-bates-vs-the-post-office>

There is also a proper documentary, "Mr Bates vs The Post Office: The
Real Story", playing next weekend on TV One (8:30pm, Sunday, 7 April).
It doesn't seem to be on the streaming service (yet?).

Re: Mr Bates Versus The Post Office

<uue01a$2dqno$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3671&group=comp.misc#3671

From: ldo...@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,nz.comp
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 09:50:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 09:50 UTC

Ian Hart, who plays Rutherford (the forensic accountant), looks the
spitting image of Paul Whitehouse.

The saga is still ongoing. There were a massive number of wrongful
prosecutions and convictions, and it will take years to overturn them all.

Re: Mr Bates Versus The Post Office

<l6vepjF9b0kU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3672&group=comp.misc#3672

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,nz.comp
Date: 1 Apr 2024 09:58:11 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 09:58 UTC

On Mon, 01 Apr 2024 09:50:35 +0000, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Ian Hart, who plays Rutherford (the forensic accountant), looks the
> spitting image of Paul Whitehouse.
>
> The saga is still ongoing. There were a massive number of wrongful
> prosecutions and convictions, and it will take years to overturn them
> all.

Well, there is supposed to be an Act of Parliament to do most of them in
one go.

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Re: Mr Bates Versus The Post Office

<uv4kih$har5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3731&group=comp.misc#3731

From: ldo...@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: nz.comp,comp.misc
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 23:56:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 23:56 UTC

On Mon, 1 Apr 2024 20:18:10 +1300, BungleBob wrote:

> There is also a proper documentary, "Mr Bates vs The Post Office: The
> Real Story", playing next weekend on TV One (8:30pm, Sunday, 7 April).

I loved that. I thought the recreation of the Parliamentary hearing, where
Vennells refused to give a straight answer as to whether she would
cooperate with the accountant’s investigation, had been spiced up a bit
for dramatic effect, but it was practically a word-for-word recreation of
the actual scene.

Re: Mr Bates Versus The Post Office

<uv5sbn$tkmg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3735&group=comp.misc#3735

Followup: comp.misc
From: jmc...@neutron.jmcunx.com (John McCue)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,nz.comp
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 11:15:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John McCue - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 11:15 UTC

follow-ups trimmed to comp.misc

In comp.misc Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:
> Ian Hart, who plays Rutherford (the forensic accountant), looks the
> spitting image of Paul Whitehouse.
>
> The saga is still ongoing. There were a massive number of wrongful
> prosecutions and convictions, and it will take years to overturn them all.

It is a sad situation that it took a TV show to get justice
for these people. Same is true here in the US these days :(

I remember hearing about this ages ago, but the people affected
were pretty much "screaming in the wind" back then. I then
started seeing news everywhere and I heard it was due to a
documentary aired on TV. Crazy times.

--
[t]csh(1) - "An elegant shell, for a more... civilized age."
- Paraphrasing Star Wars

Re: Mr Bates Versus The Post Office

<uv73lg$17ssb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3737&group=comp.misc#3737

From: bungle...@thejungle.com (BungleBob)
Newsgroups: nz.comp,comp.misc
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 10:25:52 +1200
 by: BungleBob - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 22:25 UTC

On 2024-04-10 11:15:03 +0000, John McCue said:

> follow-ups trimmed to comp.misc
>
> In comp.misc Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:
>> Ian Hart, who plays Rutherford (the forensic accountant), looks the
>> spitting image of Paul Whitehouse.
>>
>> The saga is still ongoing. There were a massive number of wrongful
>> prosecutions and convictions, and it will take years to overturn them all.
>
> It is a sad situation that it took a TV show to get justice
> for these people. Same is true here in the US these days :(
>
> I remember hearing about this ages ago, but the people affected
> were pretty much "screaming in the wind" back then. I then
> started seeing news everywhere and I heard it was due to a
> documentary aired on TV. Crazy times.

That often happens.

The New Zealand TV show "Fair Go" is usually about some scum company
(often a one-person tradesman) refusing to do anything about a
complaint ... until the TV comes along, then all of a sudden they can't
do enough to rectify it. :-\

Unfortunately, "Fair Go", which first started in 1977, has just been
stupidly cancelled, along with many other news and current events
shows. Apparently the New Zealand TV networks prefer to waste their
money on boring drivel soap opera "Shortland Street" and idiotic
"reality TV" shows, rather than actually useful news shows. :-(

Re: Mr Bates Versus The Post Office

<39a5ae3d-4a09-4475-bb9d-06c1ab05ea33@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3744&group=comp.misc#3744

From: 07....@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,nz.comp
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 21:15:34 +0100
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 20:15 UTC

On 01/04/2024 10:58, Bob Eager wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Apr 2024 09:50:35 +0000, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> Ian Hart, who plays Rutherford (the forensic accountant), looks the
>> spitting image of Paul Whitehouse.
>>
>> The saga is still ongoing. There were a massive number of wrongful
>> prosecutions and convictions, and it will take years to overturn them
>> all.
>
> Well, there is supposed to be an Act of Parliament to do most of them in
> one go.

The Public Enquiry is still on-going and about to get interesting as the
senior Post Office staff are now being called to give evidence.

But since the TV drama went out several cases have emerged which show
just how far-ranging the effects have been.

A group of children of sub-postmasters are now seeking compensation. In
once case a couple made bankrupt by the Post Office left the country
taking their 11-year old with them. She was severely bullied at her new
school because she couldn't speak the language. Others were bullied
because of their parent's lost reputations.
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68543963>

In another case a post office owner was accused of murdering his wife
and staging a robbery to cover it up. There was no direct DNA evidence
to link him to the actual killing but the prosecution alleged his motive
was that she knew he'd been stealing and he killed her to silence her.
It's by no means certain that he didn't kill her but what was once a
small doubt is now a much larger one. It doesn't help that the police
botched aspects of the investigation and lost evidence.
<https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/13/post-office-owner-says-horizon-system-was-used-to-frame-him-for-wifes-murder>

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: Mr Bates Versus The Post Office

<uvat65$28tt4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3748&group=comp.misc#3748

From: ldo...@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: nz.comp,comp.misc
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 08:59:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 08:59 UTC

On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 23:56:02 -0000 (UTC), I wrote:

> I thought the recreation of the Parliamentary hearing,
> where Vennells refused to give a straight answer as to whether she would
> cooperate with the accountant’s investigation, had been spiced up a bit
> for dramatic effect, but it was practically a word-for-word recreation
> of the actual scene.

Going beyond that, something I found even more incredible: the guy playing
MP Nadhim Zahawi, who was refusing to take crap from Vennells was ...
Nadhim Zahawi.

Re: Mr Bates Versus The Post Office

<+g39AjCpMSGmFw2R@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3752&group=comp.misc#3752

From: bull...@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: nz.comp,comp.misc
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 13:03:53 +0100
 by: Adrian - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 12:03 UTC

In message <uvat65$28tt4$1@dont-email.me>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<ldo@nz.invalid> writes
>On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 23:56:02 -0000 (UTC), I wrote:
>
>> I thought the recreation of the Parliamentary hearing,
>> where Vennells refused to give a straight answer as to whether she would
>> cooperate with the accountant’s investigation, had been spiced up a bit
>> for dramatic effect, but it was practically a word-for-word recreation
>> of the actual scene.
>
>Going beyond that, something I found even more incredible: the guy playing
>MP Nadhim Zahawi, who was refusing to take crap from Vennells was ...
>Nadhim Zahawi.

Who was reported as donating his fee to charity.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops