From: malQRMas...@gmail.com (Bill Horne)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: REAL ID deadline extended [telecom]
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 23:07:06 +0000
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Bill Horne - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 23:07 UTC

Due to circumstances resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic, the
Department of Homeland Security has extended the REAL ID enforcement
deadline. The new deadline for REAL ID enforcement is May 3,
2023. Read the announcement.

Beginning May 3, 2023, every air traveler 18 years of age and older
will need a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license, state-issued enhanced
driver’s license, or another acceptable form of ID to fly within the
United States. Check for the star.

REAL ID-compliant cards are marked with a star at the top of the
card. If you’re not sure, contact your state driver’s license agency
on how to obtain a REAL ID compliant card.

For information by state, including where to obtain a REAL ID, visit
the DHS REAL ID website and click your state on the map.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

--
(Please remove QRM to use the "From" address)

Re: REAL ID deadline extended [telecom]

<20221114002927.GA794748@telecomdigest.us>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3743&group=comp.dcom.telecom#3743

From: malQRMas...@gmail.com (Bill Horne)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: Re: REAL ID deadline extended [telecom]
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 00:29:27 +0000
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Bill Horne - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 00:29 UTC

On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 11:07:06PM +0000, Bill Horne wrote:
> Due to circumstances resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic, the
> Department of Homeland Security has extended the REAL ID enforcement
> deadline. The new deadline for REAL ID enforcement is May 3,
> 2023. Read the announcement.
>
> Beginning May 3, 2023, every air traveler 18 years of age and older
> will need a REAL ID-compliant driver's license, state-issued enhanced
> driver's license, or another acceptable form of ID to fly within the
> United States. Check for the star.
>
> REAL ID-compliant cards are marked with a star at the top of the
> card. If you're not sure, contact your state driver's license agency
> on how to obtain a REAL ID compliant card.
>
> For information by state, including where to obtain a REAL ID, visit
> the DHS REAL ID website and click your state on the map.
>
> https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

I just received a postcard from the North Carolina DMV, inviting me to
renew online instead of going to the DMV. However, my Driver's license
doesn't have a "Real ID" identifier on it, so now I'm going to have to
check if I've already submitted enough paperwork to qualify for the
new style.

Frankly, I'm not comfortable with the idea of what amounts to a
national ID card done through this kind of "back door" approach: it
has very little to do with "security," and lots to do with salesdroids
being able to find out every single detail of my life, my genetic
profile, my income, my education, and my bank balance before they
quote me a price on a new car, a new water heater, or a new
house. That's not even to mention every control freak's wet dream of
being able to look up my political affiliation in real time, and
doctor's offices being able to do quick checks of whether I've ever
sued anyone for malpractice before they schedule an appointment.

And, these ID's probably make posible a hundred other invasions of
privacy that I'm not even thinking of ... yet.

Bill

--
(Please remove QRM to use the "From" address)