Eureka! -- Archimedes

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Re: How to connect to a Windows PC

SubjectAuthor
* How to connect to a Windows PCFokke Nauta
+* Re: How to connect to a Windows PCHeinz Schmitz
|+- Re: How to connect to a Windows PCFokke Nauta
|`- Re: How to connect to a Windows PCFokke Nauta
+* Re: How to connect to a Windows PCPaul
|+* Re: How to connect to a Windows PCFokke Nauta
||`* Re: How to connect to a Windows PCPaul
|| `* Re: How to connect to a Windows PCFokke Nauta
||  `* Re: How to connect to a Windows PCJonathan N. Little
||   `* Re: How to connect to a Windows PCFokke Nauta
||    `* Re: How to connect to a Windows PCPaul
||     `- Re: How to connect to a Windows PCFokke Nauta
|`- Re: How to connect to a Windows PCFokke Nauta
`* Re: How to connect to a Windows PCChris Elvidge
 `* Re: How to connect to a Windows PCFokke Nauta
  `* Re: How to connect to a Windows PCChris Elvidge
   +* Re: How to connect to a Windows PCPaul
   |`- Re: How to connect to a Windows PCFokke Nauta
   `* Re: How to connect to a Windows PCFokke Nauta
    `* Re: How to connect to a Windows PCPaul
     `* Re: How to connect to a Windows PCFokke Nauta
      `- Re: How to connect to a Windows PCPaul

1
How to connect to a Windows PC

<kt6og0FfbhqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3744&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3744

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: How to connect to a Windows PC
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 20:44:01 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 19:44 UTC

Hi all,

We have 4 Windows PC's and 2 Windows laptops, all connected to our
Windows network. All of them can connect to files on the PC's and the
laptops.
On one of the PC's there is a virtual Machine, VMWare. There I installed
Zorin 17 Core Beta, which works fine. But it can't see the Windows
network. How can I achieve that this virtual machine can connect to the
Windows network and can connect to the other pc's?
I'm curious if it will be possible.
Many thanks in advance for your responses.

Fokke Nauta

Re: How to connect to a Windows PC

<qhmsmils6uhdck6pus44h3jqagii2cjm7c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3745&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3745

From: sch...@example.invalid (Heinz Schmitz)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: How to connect to a Windows PC
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2023 00:04:24 +0100
 by: Heinz Schmitz - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 23:04 UTC

Fokke Nauta wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>We have 4 Windows PC's and 2 Windows laptops, all connected to our
>Windows network. All of them can connect to files on the PC's and the
>laptops.
>On one of the PC's there is a virtual Machine, VMWare. There I installed
>Zorin 17 Core Beta, which works fine. But it can't see the Windows
>network. How can I achieve that this virtual machine can connect to the
>Windows network and can connect to the other pc's?
>I'm curious if it will be possible.
>Many thanks in advance for your responses.

I always try with "ping" first. If that works, the hardware is ok.
Then I check the settings of TCP.

Regards,
H.

Re: How to connect to a Windows PC

<uklqhf$3k93v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3746&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3746

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 19:23:10 -0500
 by: Paul - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 00:23 UTC

On 12/4/2023 2:44 PM, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have 4 Windows PC's and 2 Windows laptops, all connected to our Windows network. All of them can connect to files on the PC's and the laptops.
> On one of the PC's there is a virtual Machine, VMWare. There I installed Zorin 17 Core Beta, which works fine. But it can't see the Windows network. How can I achieve that this virtual machine can connect to the Windows network and can connect to the other pc's?
> I'm curious if it will be possible.
> Many thanks in advance for your responses.
>
> Fokke Nauta

Well, we know right away, you're not running SMBV1, so we don't
need to worry about that. If you have a NAS, a lot of those older
ones, will have SMBV1 as their only dialect of SAMBA.

There is SAMBA Client and SAMBA Server on a Linux box. The Server
is invoked, when you do Properties on a folder and select the Sharing
function. It will tell you it "needs to install some software".
The first time I saw a working serving setup, that's what it does,
is install two packages.

Out of the box, Zorin is poorly prepared (behavior copied STRAIGHT from Ubuntu!).

sudo add-apt-repository universe # Placed in my notes file, some years ago now.
sudo add-apt-repository multiverse # A Ubuntu Purity-ism.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install synaptic
sudo synaptic # Now we have a synaptic for later.

sudo apt install samba # meta-package, includes samba-common

Now you have a /etc/samba/smb.conf file. That's what the first six lines give us.

For example, at this point:

bullwinkle@ZORO:~$ ls /etc/samba/smb.conf
/etc/samba/smb.conf

bullwinkle@ZORO:~$ ps aguwwwx | grep smbd
root 6817 0.0 0.8 96888 24320 ? Ss 18:17 0:00 /usr/sbin/smbd --foreground --no-process-group

bullwinkle@ZORO:~$ ps aguwwwx | grep nmbd

root 6807 0.0 0.5 80520 15360 ? Ss 18:17 0:00 /usr/sbin/nmbd --foreground --no-process-group

sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

workgroup = WORKGROUP # Now we add some settings. The setting already there, assumes WORKGROUP is the one.

server min protocol = NT1
server max protocol = smb3
client min protocol = NT1
client max protocol = smb3
client lanman auth = yes
ntlm auth = yes

Now, we add ourselves to some password thing,
using the same password as our account. Or so.

$ sudo smbpasswd -a bullwinkle

[sudo] password for bullwinkle:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Added user bullwinkle.

Reboot Zorin so it all "takes". Easier than messing with systemd for me.

At this point, outgoing from Zorin to DailyDriver works, but only this way.
Even though nmbd is running, no luck with symbolic naming is evident.
However, if I go to the Nautilus "Connect box" at the bottom of "Other Locations",
and I enter smb://wallace/shared, that works, which means nameserving
works a little bit, but it refuses to scan the network and make
a list for us. This appears to be the only defect.

nautilus smb://192.168.2.100/shared # Requests authentication
nautilus smb://wallace/shared # This format may work -- test it.

*******

Now, I will test server side. I highlight my Downloads folder,
select Properties, then "Local Network Share".

It presented one dialog, but now seems to be stalled. Even though it is stalled,
I close the Properties dialog, on the premise it is finished. It's possible
installing the samba metapackage, provided the two packages needed (which it
would normally manually install and would need sudo).

Downloads folder, now has a purple sub-icon.

And I know one thing I did wrong, is I now need to change the Networking
from "NAT" to "Bridged Adapter" on my Virtual Machine with ZORO in it.
And now I'll reboot Zorin, so this has a chance to initialize properly.

These are my test results.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/qqdfjLXx/Zorin-Windows-SAMBA.gif

*********************** Additional notes (of no particular value *********************

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/samba

client min protocol = CORE

"To provide basic file sharing through SMB, enable/start smb.service"
"nmb.service is not required. However, it is needed to access
Samba servers by hostname (e.g. smb://hostname/) for some hosts."

systemctl status smbd nmbd
sudo systemctl start smbd nmbd

*******

Mounting a share, looks like this. The IP address is used, as nmbd is likely
not running (or, it's SAMBA and some part of the NetworkBrowser on the Windows
side isn't working right).

sudo mount -vvv -t cifs //192.168.1.66/alan/ /spare/churchill/alan/ -o rw,noperm,username=alan,password=<my_password>,vers=1.0,uid=alan

Paul

Re: How to connect to a Windows PC

<kt85s5Fpru1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3747&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3747

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 09:38:29 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 08:38 UTC

On 05/12/2023 00:04, Heinz Schmitz wrote:
> Fokke Nauta wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We have 4 Windows PC's and 2 Windows laptops, all connected to our
>> Windows network. All of them can connect to files on the PC's and the
>> laptops.
>> On one of the PC's there is a virtual Machine, VMWare. There I installed
>> Zorin 17 Core Beta, which works fine. But it can't see the Windows
>> network. How can I achieve that this virtual machine can connect to the
>> Windows network and can connect to the other pc's?
>> I'm curious if it will be possible.
>> Many thanks in advance for your responses.
>
> I always try with "ping" first. If that works, the hardware is ok.
> Then I check the settings of TCP.
>
> Regards,
> H.

Thanks!
I'll check it out.

Fokke

Re: How to connect to a Windows PC

<kt860aFpru1U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3748&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3748

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 09:40:42 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 08:40 UTC

On 05/12/2023 01:23, Paul wrote:
> [...]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/qqdfjLXx/Zorin-Windows-SAMBA.gif
>
> *********************** Additional notes (of no particular value *********************
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/samba
>
> client min protocol = CORE
>
> "To provide basic file sharing through SMB, enable/start smb.service"
> "nmb.service is not required. However, it is needed to access
> Samba servers by hostname (e.g. smb://hostname/) for some hosts."
>
> systemctl status smbd nmbd
> sudo systemctl start smbd nmbd
>
> *******
>
> Mounting a share, looks like this. The IP address is used, as nmbd is likely
> not running (or, it's SAMBA and some part of the NetworkBrowser on the Windows
> side isn't working right).
>
> sudo mount -vvv -t cifs //192.168.1.66/alan/ /spare/churchill/alan/ -o rw,noperm,username=alan,password=<my_password>,vers=1.0,uid=alan

Thanks, Paul.

This is really complete information but very complicated. I will work it
out.
But bullwinkle@ZORO? What does it stand for? What should I fill in?

Regards,
Fokke

Re: How to connect to a Windows PC

<ukmtle$45c4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3749&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3749

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 05:22:36 -0500
 by: Paul - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 10:22 UTC

On 12/5/2023 3:40 AM, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/samba
>>
>>     client min protocol = CORE
>>
>>     "To provide basic file sharing through SMB, enable/start smb.service"
>>     "nmb.service is not required. However, it is needed to access
>>      Samba servers by hostname (e.g. smb://hostname/) for some hosts."
>>
>>     systemctl status smbd nmbd
>>     sudo systemctl start smbd nmbd
>>
>> *******
>>
>> Mounting a share, looks like this. The IP address is used, as nmbd is likely
>> not running (or, it's SAMBA and some part of the NetworkBrowser on the Windows
>> side isn't working right).
>>
>> sudo mount -vvv -t cifs //192.168.1.66/alan/ /spare/churchill/alan/ -o rw,noperm,username=alan,password=<my_password>,vers=1.0,uid=alan
>>
>>     Paul
>
> Thanks, Paul.
>
> This is really complete information but very complicated. I will work it out.

:-)

bullwinkle@ZORO:~$ ls /etc/samba/smb.conf

I should have stripped off the host string.
Like this. It is just meant to be the listdir command.

$ ls /etc/samba/smb.conf

That particular file shows up, if samba-common package is installed.
It's not in Zorin right after you install the OS. If the file exists,
then you know that some part of SAMBA is already present. Then you
add a bunch of lines just below "workgroup = WORKGROUP" line.

"bullwinkle" is the user account I use for all sorts of test setups.
It's from the TV cartoon series "Rocky and Bullwinkle".

Since the Zorin distro begins with a Z, I made my host name ZORO,
or perhaps it should have been ZORRO :-) I'm sure yours has a better-chosen
host name than that.

Installing SAMBA, and editing the smb.conf file, is mainly what
you need to do.

When in nautilus/"files" File Manager, use Other Locations,
then use the Connect box at the bottom, and enter smb://hostname/sharename
and that should work. The Windows Network choice, that never works...

Paul

Re: How to connect to a Windows PC

<ktat2lFn04gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3750&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3750

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 10:26:45 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 09:26 UTC

On 05/12/2023 11:22, Paul wrote:
> [...]
>
> That particular file shows up, if samba-common package is installed.
> It's not in Zorin right after you install the OS. If the file exists,
> then you know that some part of SAMBA is already present. Then you
> add a bunch of lines just below "workgroup = WORKGROUP" line.
>
> "bullwinkle" is the user account I use for all sorts of test setups.
> It's from the TV cartoon series "Rocky and Bullwinkle".
>
> Since the Zorin distro begins with a Z, I made my host name ZORO,
> or perhaps it should have been ZORRO :-) I'm sure yours has a better-chosen
> host name than that.
>
> Installing SAMBA, and editing the smb.conf file, is mainly what
> you need to do.
>
> When in nautilus/"files" File Manager, use Other Locations,
> then use the Connect box at the bottom, and enter smb://hostname/sharename
> and that should work. The Windows Network choice, that never works...

Aha, bullwinkle is the user account and ZORO is the hostname.
Now I can fill in my own details.

I'm curious.

Fokke

Re: How to connect to a Windows PC

<ktb97jFr5fcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3751&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3751

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 13:54:11 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 12:54 UTC

On 05/12/2023 00:04, Heinz Schmitz wrote:
> Fokke Nauta wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We have 4 Windows PC's and 2 Windows laptops, all connected to our
>> Windows network. All of them can connect to files on the PC's and the
>> laptops.
>> On one of the PC's there is a virtual Machine, VMWare. There I installed
>> Zorin 17 Core Beta, which works fine. But it can't see the Windows
>> network. How can I achieve that this virtual machine can connect to the
>> Windows network and can connect to the other pc's?
>> I'm curious if it will be possible.
>> Many thanks in advance for your responses.
>
> I always try with "ping" first. If that works, the hardware is ok.
> Then I check the settings of TCP.
>
> Regards,
> H.

Well,
The ping to the Windows server in the network works!
What to do next?

Regards,
Fokke

Re: How to connect to a Windows PC

<ktbbgfFr5fcU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3752&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3752

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 14:33:03 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 13:33 UTC

On 05/12/2023 01:23, Paul wrote:
> [...]

> https://i.postimg.cc/qqdfjLXx/Zorin-Windows-SAMBA.gif
>
> *********************** Additional notes (of no particular value *********************
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/samba
>
> client min protocol = CORE
>
> "To provide basic file sharing through SMB, enable/start smb.service"
> "nmb.service is not required. However, it is needed to access
> Samba servers by hostname (e.g. smb://hostname/) for some hosts."
>
> systemctl status smbd nmbd
> sudo systemctl start smbd nmbd
>
> *******
>
> Mounting a share, looks like this. The IP address is used, as nmbd is likely
> not running (or, it's SAMBA and some part of the NetworkBrowser on the Windows
> side isn't working right).
>
> sudo mount -vvv -t cifs //192.168.1.66/alan/ /spare/churchill/alan/ -o rw,noperm,username=alan,password=<my_password>,vers=1.0,uid=alan

Thanks, Paul. I tried but it did not work.
It's too complicated for me. I give it up.
Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Fokke

Re: How to connect to a Windows PC

<ukq42f$ql2c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3753&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3753

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 15:30:22 +0000
 by: Chris Elvidge - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 15:30 UTC

On 04/12/2023 19:44, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have 4 Windows PC's and 2 Windows laptops, all connected to our
> Windows network. All of them can connect to files on the PC's and the
> laptops.
> On one of the PC's there is a virtual Machine, VMWare. There I installed
> Zorin 17 Core Beta, which works fine. But it can't see the Windows
> network. How can I achieve that this virtual machine can connect to the
> Windows network and can connect to the other pc's?
> I'm curious if it will be possible.
> Many thanks in advance for your responses.
>
> Fokke Nauta

Assuming that the Windows boxes get their IP addresses from a central
router or other DHCP server, can the VM see the same server?
Don't know about VMWare, but in Virtual Box one can set up a "bridged"
adapter to access the same network as the Windows host, and hence
connection.

--
Chris Elvidge, England
RALPH WON'T "MORPH" IF YOU SQUEEZE HIM HARD ENOUGH

Re: How to connect to a Windows PC

<ukq8t1$rf7e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3754&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3754

From: lws4...@gmail.com (Jonathan N. Little)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 11:52:48 -0500
 by: Jonathan N. Little - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 16:52 UTC

Fokke Nauta wrote:

> Aha, bullwinkle is the user account and ZORO is the hostname.
> Now I can fill in my own details.
>
> I'm curious.

You don't. bullwinkle@ZORO:~$ ls /etc/samba/smb.conf
|_________________||_____________________|
Command Prompt The Command

The command prompt which be whatever your user name is and whatever your
machines name is: YOUR_USER_NAME@YOUR_HOST_NAME

That part you only need to type is the command after the '$' in the prompt

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Re: How to connect to a Windows PC

<ktc1brF4602U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3755&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3755

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 20:46:03 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 19:46 UTC

On 06/12/2023 17:52, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Fokke Nauta wrote:

>> Aha, bullwinkle is the user account and ZORO is the hostname.
>> Now I can fill in my own details.
>>
>> I'm curious.
>>

> You don't. bullwinkle@ZORO:~$ ls /etc/samba/smb.conf
> |_________________||_____________________|
> Command Prompt The Command
>
> The command prompt which be whatever your user name is and whatever your
> machines name is: YOUR_USER_NAME@YOUR_HOST_NAME
>
> That part you only need to type is the command after the '$' in the prompt

Thanks. I just found it out today. I'm not so very familiar with Linux.

Regards,
Fokke

Re: How to connect to a Windows PC

<ktc1inF4602U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3756&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3756

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 20:49:43 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 19:49 UTC

On 06/12/2023 16:30, Chris Elvidge wrote:
> On 04/12/2023 19:44, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We have 4 Windows PC's and 2 Windows laptops, all connected to our
>> Windows network. All of them can connect to files on the PC's and the
>> laptops.
>> On one of the PC's there is a virtual Machine, VMWare. There I
>> installed Zorin 17 Core Beta, which works fine. But it can't see the
>> Windows network. How can I achieve that this virtual machine can
>> connect to the Windows network and can connect to the other pc's?
>> I'm curious if it will be possible.
>> Many thanks in advance for your responses.
>>
>> Fokke Nauta
>
> Assuming that the Windows boxes get their IP addresses from a central
> router or other DHCP server,

>>Yes, the router gifs all pc's a fixed IP address.

> can the VM see the same server?

>>From the command line in Zorin I can ping the server.

> Don't know about VMWare, but in Virtual Box one can set up a "bridged"
> adapter to access the same network as the Windows host, and hence
> connection.

>> Don't know as to why VMWare can do this as well. I'll have a look.

With regards,
Fokke

Re: How to connect to a Windows PC

<ukqnau$tnla$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3757&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3757

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 20:59:08 +0000
 by: Chris Elvidge - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 20:59 UTC

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Player-for-Windows/17.0/com.vmware.player.win.using.doc/GUID-826323AD-D014-475D-8909-DFA73B5A3A57.html

--
Chris Elvidge, England
I WILL NOT DEMAND WHAT I'M WORTH

Re: How to connect to a Windows PC

<ukr235$vanm$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3758&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3758

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 19:02:45 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 00:02 UTC

On 12/6/2023 2:46 PM, Fokke Nauta wrote:

> Thanks. I just found it out today. I'm not so very familiar with Linux.
>
> Regards,
> Fokke

I thought you'd been running Zorin before, an earlier version ?

Paul

Re: How to connect to a Windows PC

<ukr5es$vo1q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3759&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3759

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 20:00:11 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 01:00 UTC

On 12/6/2023 3:59 PM, Chris Elvidge wrote:
> On 06/12/2023 19:49, Fokke Nauta wrote:

>>> Assuming that the Windows boxes get their IP addresses from a central router or other DHCP server,
>>
>>  >>Yes, the router gifs all pc's a fixed IP address.
>>
>>> can the VM see the same server?
>>
>>  >>From the command line in Zorin I can ping the server.
>>
>>> Don't know about VMWare, but in Virtual Box one can set up a "bridged" adapter to access the same network as the Windows host, and hence connection.

>> With regards,
>> Fokke
>>

> https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Player-for-Windows/17.0/com.vmware.player.win.using.doc/GUID-826323AD-D014-475D-8909-DFA73B5A3A57.html

I've only got one VM in a VMWare, and there is
an easy Bridged box to use.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/RFjqHfrf/vmware-bridged.gif

When I tried it, and checked the IP config, the
address fetched was a DHCP one, and within the same
subnet (and subnet mask) as the other physical machines here.

Paul

Re: How to connect to a Windows PC

<ktdfjdFhigtU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3760&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3760

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 09:55:09 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 08:55 UTC

On 07/12/2023 01:02, Paul wrote:
> On 12/6/2023 2:46 PM, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>
>> Thanks. I just found it out today. I'm not so very familiar with Linux.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Fokke
>
> I thought you'd been running Zorin before, an earlier version ?
>
> Paul

Yes, Zorin 12.4 and 15. But I only installed it in VMWare, and never
went any further as I wanted to do now. I only wanted to see how it
looked like, but never used it.

Fokke

Re: How to connect to a Windows PC

<ktdgs6FhigtU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3761&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3761

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 10:16:54 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 09:16 UTC

On 06/12/2023 21:59, Chris Elvidge wrote:
> On 06/12/2023 19:49, Fokke Nauta wrote:

>>> Assuming that the Windows boxes get their IP addresses from a central
>>> router or other DHCP server,
>>
>>  >>Yes, the router gifs all pc's a fixed IP address.
>>
>>> can the VM see the same server?
>>
>>  >>From the command line in Zorin I can ping the server.
>>
>>> Don't know about VMWare, but in Virtual Box one can set up a
>>> "bridged" adapter to access the same network as the Windows host, and
>>> hence connection.

>> With regards,
>> Fokke
>>

> https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Player-for-Windows/17.0/com.vmware.player.win.using.doc/GUID-826323AD-D014-475D-8909-DFA73B5A3A57.html

Thanks.
I did. In the Networks on Zorin I can now see Fokke-virtual-machine, but
in the Windows network there is nothing.
Neither can I see the Zorin machine from the Windows network.

Regards,
Fokke

Re: How to connect to a Windows PC

<ktdgvaFhigtU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3762&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3762

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 10:18:34 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 09:18 UTC

On 07/12/2023 02:00, Paul wrote:
> On 12/6/2023 3:59 PM, Chris Elvidge wrote:

>>>  >>Yes, the router gifs all pc's a fixed IP address.

>>>  >>From the command line in Zorin I can ping the server.

>>> With regards,
>>> Fokke
>>>

>> https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Player-for-Windows/17.0/com.vmware.player.win.using.doc/GUID-826323AD-D014-475D-8909-DFA73B5A3A57.html
>>

> I've only got one VM in a VMWare, and there is
> an easy Bridged box to use.
>
> [Picture]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/RFjqHfrf/vmware-bridged.gif
>
> When I tried it, and checked the IP config, the
> address fetched was a DHCP one, and within the same
> subnet (and subnet mask) as the other physical machines here.
>
> Paul

Thanks for your picture. The same situation as in my Zorin machine. But
I still can't see the Windows machines.

Regards,
Fokke

Re: How to connect to a Windows PC

<uks6o4$17pif$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3763&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3763

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 05:28:18 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 10:28 UTC

On 12/7/2023 4:16 AM, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> On 06/12/2023 21:59, Chris Elvidge wrote:

>>>  >>Yes, the router gifs all pc's a fixed IP address.

>>>  >>From the command line in Zorin I can ping the server.

>>> With regards,
>>> Fokke
>>>

>> https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Player-for-Windows/17.0/com.vmware.player.win.using.doc/GUID-826323AD-D014-475D-8909-DFA73B5A3A57.html
>>

> Thanks.
> I did. In the Networks on Zorin I can now see Fokke-virtual-machine, but in the Windows network there is nothing.
> Neither can I see the Zorin machine from the Windows network.
>
> Regards,
> Fokke

Do you use workgroup=WORKGROUP on Windows, or
are you using workgroup=MSHONE ?

Note: For some reason, Windows Defender has taken a dislike to this program.
You probably won't be able to download the Windows version onto the Windows10 side for test.
Can't get the Linux version to run in Zoran (but using their tarball and "make" worked OK).
But I was able to get the download over to Windows7.

http://www.unixwiz.net/tools/nbtscan.html

I scanned my subnet and I can see Zoran (hostname ZORO) from Windows 7.

You can see all my workgroup names are WORKGROUP.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/rwCf9ktF/nbtscan-from-win7.gif

If you download the tarball from that site, make a folder,
drop the tarball (.tar.gz) into the folder, use nautilus/files
file manager, right-click it and use Archive Manager to unpack the file
and just Extract it right into the folder with the tarball.

From a terminal in Utilities, cd to the work folder with
the materials in it, and type

cd ~/Downloads/NBTSCAN # The folder I unpacked into

make

and it will use cc that is already aliased in the OS for you.

Then, while Cded into that folder on the command line,
you can run the local copy you just made with "make". Using
dot in this way, picks up the current working directory as
the source of the named executable.

./nbtscan 192.168.2.0/24 # Adjust the address for the subnet *you* are using :-)

And the output will list the workgroup name as
well as the IP addresses of your boxes.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/pTsP34hD/nbtscan-from-zoran.gif

That will build our confidence that the "wiring" and a certain
amount of the setup, are working.

My bridged VM then, is just like the physical machines on my
subnet, when it comes to IP addresses and "being on the same subnet".

Paul

Re: How to connect to a Windows PC

<ktduc7Fnke5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3764&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3764

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 14:07:19 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 13:07 UTC

Regards,
Fokke

Re: How to connect to a Windows PC

<uksljs$1a1pp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3765&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3765

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 09:42:03 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 14:42 UTC

On 12/7/2023 8:07 AM, Fokke Nauta wrote:

>>>nbtscan.exe is not available on my pc (W10 Pro).

This site has both a Windows EXE executable, as well as a
..tar.gz tarball with source in it. Unpack the tarball
in Linux, into a folder, fire up Terminal, CD to the
directory with the source, type make and
the executable will appear in about five seconds.
Then ./nbtscan 192.168.2.0/24 will scan a 256 node subnet.

http://www.unixwiz.net/tools/nbtscan.html

On Windows, you could use Command Prompt or the Terminal with
the powershell in it.

.\nbtscan.exe 192.168.2.0/24

Paul