From: fatkin...@mishmash.com (Fred Atkinson)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: Are you running out of AC outlets for your Wall-wart transformers? [telecom]
Date: 15 Nov 2022 07:23:15 -0700
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Fred Atkinson - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 14:23 UTC

I have long experienced the pains of trying to plug in multiple wall
warts. I found a solution to this issue quite a few years ago.

For the benefit of those who are not in the know: A 'wall wart' is an
electrical device that plugs into a 120 VAC outlet and provides
electricity to a electrical device such as a calculator, radio, SOHO
router, etc.. When you have more than one or two of them, their size
makes them extremely difficult to plug in. This is because they are
so big that they crowd out adjacent receptacles.

I previously [meaning quite a few years ago] made a post describing a
device that was the solution. It was manufactured by APC.

That device [a surge protector] has been discontinued. However, APC
has a replacement product for it.

Take a look at this:

https://www.apc.com/us/en/product/P11VNT3/apc-performance-surgearrest-11-outlet-with-phone-splitter-coax-and-ethernet-protection-120v/

Notice that there are six outlets that are separated enough to allow
you to plug in six wall warts without any difficulty. And there are
five additional outlets for standard power cords.

It also provides surge protection for your cable TV/cablemodem
connections. Surge protection for a standard telephone line and an
Ethernet connection are also provided.

You can get a better price for it than what is shown on the APC Web
site. Search on P11VNT3 and you will find quite a few vendors that
sell it. The price widely varies so shop around.

Here is the same device on the B&H Photo site:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/626301-REG/APC_P11VNT3_SurgeArrest_Performance.html?msclkid=5781aec7a38e1c0ffa11cdb434a4b026

You see that the price is considerably less.

I have several of them as I have a lot of networking equipment at home
as well as some radios (NOAA Weather Radio / Scanner) and home
entertainment devices.

I have never had one fail (and I am still using a few of the
discontinued models I purchased over fifteen years ago. No failures
with them, either). They have provided me with very good and reliable
service.

Perhaps this will solve a problem or two for our technology friends
here on Telecom Digest.

Regards,

Fred Atkinson

Re: Are you running out of AC outlets for your Wall-wart transformers? [telecom]

<20221117120733.GA824343@telecomdigest.us>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3749&group=comp.dcom.telecom#3749

From: malQRMas...@gmail.com (Bill Horne)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 12:07:33 +0000
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Bill Horne - Thu, 17 Nov 2022 12:07 UTC

On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 07:23:15AM -0700, Fred Atkinson wrote:
> You can get a better price for it than what is shown on the APC Web
> site. Search on P11VNT3 and you will find quite a few vendors that
> sell it. The price widely varies so shop around.
>
> Here is the same device on the B&H Photo site:
> https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/626301-REG/APC_P11VNT3_SurgeArrest_Performance.html?msclkid=5781aec7a38e1c0ffa11cdb434a4b026

Fred,

The football-on-the-end-of-a-string outlet boxes have never worked for
me: too crowded, too much weight in one place, and too many wires to
tangle.

There are less expensive alternaties, and although they don't have
surge-protection for Ethernet cables or cable TV coaxial cable, they
do fine for everything I've ever needed one for.

YMMV.

Here's a basic four-foot strip with surge-protection, and plenty of
room for wall warts:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1395082-REG/a_neutronics_ani_1248sur_12_outlet_48_metal_rack.html

--
(Please remove QRM to use the "From" address. If you hit "reply," you'll need to modify the "To" address in an obvious way.)

Re: [telecom] Are you running out of AC outlets for your Wall-wart transformers?

<AEBB8B8B-C29C-49C2-A54A-75DD978671B5@mishmash.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3752&group=comp.dcom.telecom#3752

From: fatkin...@mishmash.com (Fred Atkinson)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: Re: [telecom] Are you running out of AC outlets for your Wall-wart transformers?
Date: 17 Nov 2022 06:12:38 -0700
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Fred Atkinson - Thu, 17 Nov 2022 13:12 UTC

On Nov 17, 2022, at 5:11 AM, Bill Horne <malQRMassimilation@gmail.com> wrote

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 07:23:15AM -0700, Fred Atkinson wrote:
>> You can get a better price for it than what is shown on the APC Web
>> site. Search on P11VNT3 and you will find quite a few vendors that
>> sell it. The price widely varies so shop around.
>>
>> Here is the same device on the B&H Photo site:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/626301-REG/APC_P11VNT3_SurgeArrest_Performance.html?msclkid=5781aec7a38e1c0ffa11cdb434a4b026

> Here's a basic four-foot strip with surge-protection, and plenty of
> room for wall warts:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1395082-REG/a_neutronics_ani_1248sur_12_outlet_48_metal_rack.html

I tried that first. Didn't like it.

When I saw these, I grabbed one with a passion.

Will stay with what I've got.

Regards,
=
Fred