From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Knox
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 16:56:08 +0100
 by: wasbit - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 15:56 UTC

What does Samsung Knox do that you would want it to do?

I looked up how to remove bloatware and Knox can be removed.
They say it's for your security but they say that about a lot of things.

What does Knox do for you that you like it to continue to do?
--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Knox

<tru53e$a38v$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37483&group=comp.mobile.android#37483

From: not...@here.com (doseas)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Knox
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 10:25:51 -0800
 by: doseas - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 18:25 UTC

On 2/7/2023 7:56 AM, wasbit wrote:
> What does Samsung Knox do that you would want it to do?

Knox is underlying technology behind all of Samsung's security related
features: biometrics, Samsung Pass, Samsung Pay, Secure Folder, etc.

-David

Re: Knox

<xmknzf6ob016$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37511&group=comp.mobile.android#37511

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 19:24:02 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 01:24 UTC

wasbit <wasbitREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What does Samsung Knox do that you would want it to do?
>
> I looked up how to remove bloatware and Knox can be removed.
> They say it's for your security but they say that about a lot of things.
>
> What does Knox do for you that you like it to continue to do?

https://www.samsungknox.com/en
https://insights.samsung.com/2021/12/21/5-ways-samsung-knox-helps-you-secure-and-manage-mobile-devices/
https://www.samsung.com/nz/support/mobile-devices/about-samsung-knox/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Knox

You'll need to decide what security measures are important to YOU.

Re: Knox

<ts60kn$13vmf$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37599&group=comp.mobile.android#37599

From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 18:59:01 +0100
 by: wasbit - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 17:59 UTC

"VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH>" wrote in message

> You'll need to decide what security measures are important to YOU.

Only Samsung phones have Knox and so the basic question has to be asked.
Are non-Samsung phones not as safe as Samsung phones because of Knox?

> https://www.samsungknox.com/en

I went there and was inundated by advertising platitudes like "protection
you can be sure of", but I didn't see anything of any substance. Did you?

It was mostly for companies they listed (like Walmart & Harley-Davidson &
PepsiCo) to "re-brand" their apps to be safe by implementing Knox calls.

Wasn't it?

> https://insights.samsung.com/2021/12/21/5-ways-samsung-knox-helps-you-secure-and-manage-mobile-devices/

Again, that was filled with advertising platitudes asking big business to
incorporate Knox calls into their ads, much like Google does the same.

Isn't that web page aimed at Enterprise Companies, and not me, the user?

> https://www.samsung.com/nz/support/mobile-devices/about-samsung-knox/

Even that New Zealand only page says it's only for Enterprise Level Use.
Is it just me or does it seem Knox is there to protect them, not me?

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Knox

That says "Its primary purpose is to provide organizations with a toolset
for managing work devices" but I'm an individual user, not a company.

I didn't see anything in that wikipedia that says what Knox does /for me/.
Did you?
--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Knox

<ts63ov$1hui8$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37603&group=comp.mobile.android#37603

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 18:52:29 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 18:52 UTC

doseas wrote:

>> What does Samsung Knox do that you would want it to do?
>
> Knox is underlying technology behind all of Samsung's security related
> features: biometrics, Samsung Pass, Samsung Pay, Secure Folder, etc.

I don't know how to remove knox from an unrooted phone.
But here are some adb commands I just ran using knox as a search term.

c:\> adb shell dumpsys device_policy | findstr knox
Here's what had "knox" in it on my Samsung just now.
com.samsung.android.knox.analytics.uploader
com.samsung.android.knox.attestation
com.samsung.android.knox.containeragent
com.samsung.android.knox.containercore
com.samsung.android.knox.pushmanager
com.samsung.knox.keychain
com.samsung.knox.knoxtrustagent
com.samsung.knox.kss
com.samsung.knox.rcp.components
com.samsung.knox.securefolder
com.sec.enterprise.knox.attestation
com.sec.enterprise.knox.cloudmdm.smdms
com.sec.enterprise.knox.myknoxsetupwizard
com.sec.knox.bluetooth
com.sec.knox.bridge
com.sec.knox.cocktailprovider
com.sec.knox.cocktailprovider2
com.sec.knox.cocktailprovider3
com.sec.knox.containeragent
com.sec.knox.containeragent2
com.sec.knox.foldercontainer
com.sec.knox.knoxsetupwizardclient
com.sec.knox.packageverifier
com.sec.knox.securehandler
com.sec.knox.shortcutsms
com.sec.knox.store
com.sec.knox.switcher
com.sec.knox.switchknoxI
com.sec.knox.switchknoxII

c:\> adb shell pm list packages knox > knox.txt
Here's what had "knox" in it on my Samsung just now.
package:com.knox.vpn.proxyhandler
package:com.samsung.android.knox.analytics.uploader
package:com.samsung.android.knox.attestation
package:com.samsung.android.knox.containeragent
package:com.samsung.android.knox.containercore
package:com.samsung.android.knox.kpecore
package:com.samsung.android.knox.pushmanager
package:com.samsung.knox.securefolder
package:com.sec.enterprise.knox.cloudmdm.smdms

c:\> adb shell service list | findstr knox
application_policy: [com.samsung.android.knox.application.IApplicationPolicy]
cmfa: [com.samsung.android.knox.cmfa.ICmfaService]
enterprise_license_policy: [com.samsung.android.knox.license.IEnterpriseLicense]
enterprise_policy: [com.samsung.android.knox.IEnterpriseDeviceManager]
knox_vpn_policy: [com.samsung.android.knox.net.vpn.IKnoxVpnPolicy]
knoxcustom: [com.samsung.android.knox.custom.IKnoxCustomManager]
knoxguard_service: [com.samsung.android.knoxguard.IKnoxGuardManager]
mum_container_policy: [com.samsung.android.knox.container.IKnoxContainerManager]
peripheral: [com.samsung.android.knox.ex.peripheral.IPeripheralService]
persona: [com.samsung.android.knox.ISemPersonaManager]
restriction_policy: [com.samsung.android.knox.restriction.IRestrictionPolicy]
SEAMService: [com.samsung.android.knox.seams.ISEAMS]

c:\> adb shell ps | findstr knox
listed nothing (but I have disabled as much of knox as I could)

c:\> adb logcat | findstr knox
02-10 07:02:02.883 1443 13462 D SettingsProvider: edmUri: content://com.sec.knox.provider/RestrictionPolicy3

c:\> adb shell pm list packages -d | findStr /i "knox"
That lists one disabled package.
package:com.samsung.knox.securefolder

I don't know how to list just the suspended or stopped knox packages though.

Re: Knox

<8rrnotjrq9uq$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37616&group=comp.mobile.android#37616

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 13:58:24 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 19:58 UTC

wasbit <wasbitREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH>" wrote in message ...
>
>> You'll need to decide what security measures are important to YOU.
>
> Only Samsung phones have Knox and so the basic question has to be asked.
> Are non-Samsung phones not as safe as Samsung phones because of Knox?

I'm sure Samsung would claim so.

>> https://www.samsungknox.com/en
>
> I went there and was inundated by advertising platitudes like "protection
> you can be sure of", but I didn't see anything of any substance. Did you?

Nope, just a bunch of marketspeak. Often security products won't tell
you how they operate for fear it lends leverage to hackers to overcome
those security measures. That is, secrecy is often considered security.

> Even that New Zealand only page says it's only for Enterprise Level Use.
> Is it just me or does it seem Knox is there to protect them, not me?

A major function of Knox is to control and track the phones a company
distributes to their employees. There are other tools to tracking and
managing company-owned phones their employees use.