computers / comp.misc / Re: Downwardly Scalable Systems

SubjectAuthor
* Downwardly Scalable SystemsBen Collver
`* Re: Downwardly Scalable SystemsStefan Ram
 +* Re: Downwardly Scalable SystemsDavid LaRue
 |`* Re: Downwardly Scalable SystemsStefan Ram
 | `- Re: Downwardly Scalable SystemsScott Dorsey
 `* Re: Downwardly Scalable SystemsComputer Nerd Kev
  +- Re: Downwardly Scalable SystemsBen Collver
  `* Re: Downwardly Scalable SystemsD
   +* Re: Downwardly Scalable SystemsComputer Nerd Kev
   |+* Re: Downwardly Scalable SystemsD
   ||`- Re: Downwardly Scalable Systemscandycanearter07
   |`* Re: Downwardly Scalable SystemsRichard Kettlewell
   | `- Re: Downwardly Scalable SystemsD
   `* Re: Downwardly Scalable SystemsScott Dorsey
    +- Re: Downwardly Scalable SystemsRichard Kettlewell
    `- Re: Downwardly Scalable SystemsD

1
Downwardly Scalable Systems

<slrnv1lac8.3s4.bencollver@svadhyaya.localdomain>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3756&group=comp.misc#3756

From: bencoll...@tilde.pink (Ben Collver)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Downwardly Scalable Systems
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 15:56:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ben Collver - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 15:56 UTC

Downwardly Scalable Systems
===========================
David N. Welton
davidw@dedasys.com
2004-11-14

A lot of thought has been dedicated to scalability in computer
systems. However, outside of the embedded systems arena, most of this
effort has gone into making systems ever larger and faster. I would
like to take the opposite approach, and discuss the implications of
programming languages that "scale down". I choose programming
languages because it's a subject I take a great deal of interest in,
but I believe that the basic ideas here are applicable to many
complex systems that require human interaction.

Good systems should be able to scale down as well as up. They should
run on slower computers that don't have as much memory or disk
storage as the latest models. Likewise, from the human point of view,
downwardly scalable systems should also be small enough to learn and
use without being an expert programmer. It's not always possible to
have all of these things. Engineering is often the art of balancing
several compromises, after all, and at times, it's necessary to add
computing power in order to attain simplicity. However, it is always
a good idea to keep all these targets in mind, even if design
dictates that one or the other of them may be less important.

Naturally, we can't forget the "scalability" part of the equation
while focusing on "simple". It's not that hard to make something
small and easy to use. The trick is that it's also got to be
extensible, in order to grow. The system should be easy to pick up,
but it should also be easy to add to, and should also provide tools
to modularize and otherwise compartmentalize the growing system in
order to not end up with what is known in technical terms as a
"godawful mess". And of course it should still be fun to work with
for the more experienced programmer.

Another part of the balancing act is that often times "simple"
equates to hidden complexity. For example programming languages like
Tcl or Python are "simpler" than C, but this is a result of the
implementation hiding a lot of the complexity from the programmer. In
this case, scaling down from a human point of view conflicts with
scaling down resource usage to some degree, in that these languages
require a bigger runtime, and more processor power to accomplish
similar tasks.

Why scale down?
===============
Ease of use vs breadth of user base

Systems that scale down are not just nice in theory, but have many
benefits. To start with, they have the potential to create more
value. By being accessible to people with less experience and talent,
they allow more people to get more things done than a system
requiring more advanced skills would. The nicest tool in the world is
of no use to you if cannot figure out how make use of it in the time
you have. You may object, saying that not everyone should be able to
use every tool, and of course that's true. We don't all expect to be
able to fly airplanes, and yet they are still valuable to us. The
point is, however, that where two systems are capable of doing the
same job equally well, the more accessible tool is more valuable in
that more people are productive with it.

It's especially important to realize that in some cases, this is more
than just a matter of degree - there is actually a cutoff point,
meaning that some people will be able to do no work with a tool that
is too difficult. So to these people, the complex, hard to use option
is simply not an option at all!

Of course, having more users isn't necessarily a benefit in and of
itself, but if you have a reasonably good user community, it often is
[1].

Disruptive Technologies
=======================
In some ways, systems that scale down may be winners in the long term
even if they don't scale up as well as others. Consider the
definition of "disruptive technology":

> A disruptive technology is a new technological innovation, product,
> or service that eventually overturns the existing dominant
> technology in the market, despite the fact that the disruptive
> technology is both radically different than the leading technology
> and that it often initially performs worse than the leading
> technology according to existing measures of performance. [2]

In short: when the programming technology that scales down is "good
enough", it may open up a field of programming to people who
previously were not able to accomplish anything at all - and give
many more people the chance to write "good enough" code much faster.

Perhaps experienced programmers are grumbling about "the right tool
for the job", and complaining about putting sharp tools in the hands
of novices.

To a degree, they're right. It's best to use hammers for nails, and
saws to cut boards, and to know something about them before taking
them to a board. Computer systems, especially programming languages,
are very complex tools though, and take a lot longer to learn for
many people than learning to hit nails with a hammer. What this means
is that many people find it valuable to be able to do more things
with the tools they know how to use. Maybe the tool isn't perfect,
but if it does a reasonable job of solving the problem at hand, it's
probably a net gain to be able to write the code in the first place.
For example, I once did some work for a client who was, at heart, a
marketing guy who came up with a clever idea for a product. He wrote
the initial code that made it work, and...frankly, it was pretty
obvious that he was a marketing guy rather than a programmer. But -
and this is crucial - he was able to make it work with the scripting
language he used. If he'd had to use something like Java or C that
was over his head, he might not have got his product to the point
where he was making enough money to hire me to clean up his code.

Scaling down doesn't necessarily equate to a disruptive technology,
of course. In many cases it's easy to rejig things just a bit, or
create a better, clearer interface without revolutionizing either
your product or the market in which it resides. Truly disruptive
technologies often create new markets where none existed.

"Case Studies"
==============
Let's look at some real-world examples:

Dr. John Ousterhout, author of the Tcl programming language and the
Tk GUI toolkit realized that scripting languages were a winning
proposition early on, creating a revolutionary way to easily write
graphical applications. This made Tcl and Tk a big success, and they
continue to be very widely used, long after complex, proprietary
rivals such as Motif have fallen by the wayside. Tcl has had some
struggles with scaling up, but in general hasn't managed too badly.
Perhaps Tk isn't well suited to writing a huge, complex application
like an office suite, however the speed of a scripting language is
perfectly adequate for many GUI's. After all, the time it takes you
to move the mouse and click is an eternity in computer cycles.

PHP is another example. While PHP is not a particularly elegant
system, and suffers from some flaws in its approach to simplicity
(it's too tied to the web world, which has limited its uptake for
other uses), it has done a phenomenal job of making dynamic web
programming available to many people who would otherwise not be able
to, or would have to spend much more time to make their code work.
"But what about all the bad PHP code out there?!". Sure - it's there,
but consider that the people doing the ugly programming are almost
certainly not trained programmers. Perhaps they are doctors,
businessmen, artists with deep knowledge of other fields. PHP is
therefore the tool that, through its approachability, makes it
possible for them to do something that they otherwise could not do.
If they are successful in their endeavors, maybe they will attract
"real" programmers who will help them out either because it's a
successful business venture, or because it's a popular open source
idea. In any case, they are better off with an ugly program they
wrote to do the job than an elegant programming language that they
can't make heads nor tails of.

Contrast these languages with Java. Java isn't a bad language,
particularly. It's easier than C in some ways, and certainly safer
for the average programmer, who has to worry less about memory
issues, walking off then end of arrays, and things of that ilk that
in C, not only crash the system, but may create security risks. Java
is fairly resource intensive - it requires lots of disk space,
memory. Worse, it's not something that is easy to pick up quickly for
the 'average guy'. It has a verbose syntax that is unpleasant to use
if you don't know your tools well, or even if you just want to whip
up something quickly. The target for "downwardly scalable languages"
that we're talking about are the individuals who, due to their lack
of experience, are more likely to have bad tools than a veteran
programmer who can play emacs like a piano. Java also makes it
difficult to do easy things. To even get started, you have to have
some notions of object oriented programming, you have to split your
code up into lots of little files that must be properly named, and
you must have a few ideas about packages to even print something to
the screen, with System.out.println("hello world"); Of course, if you
are writing thousands upon thousands of lines of code, some of these
language features that initially seem like annoyances turn into
advantages, and would be sensible rules to follow for any programming
team wishing to keep their sanity. While it's fine to say "it just
wasn't meant for that", perhaps Java could have been made easier for
the casual user. Java scales up to projects with multiple teams and
many programmers better than other systems do. So they have done
something right, but haven't been able (or willing) to make the
system downwardly scalable.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Downwardly Scalable Systems

<Java-20240413181713@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3757&group=comp.misc#3757

From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: Downwardly Scalable Systems
Date: 13 Apr 2024 17:17:34 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:17 UTC

Ben Collver <bencollver@tilde.pink> wrote or quoted:
>programming languages that "scale down".

David forgot to tell use what it means for a programming language
to "scale down".

>Tcl or Python are "simpler" than C, but this is a result of the

And again, he uses those quotes! How to define or measure the
"simplicity" of a programming language?

>difficult to do easy things. To even get started, you have to have
>some notions of object oriented programming, you have to split your
>code up into lots of little files that must be properly named, and

This is a Java program. It usually should be in a file "Main.java".

public final class Main
{ java.lang.System.out.println
( "Hello world!" ); }}

. In my Basic course I tell the participants to ignore the first
three lines: They are just boilerplate material that is copied to
every program. Then we explore what can be done in the last line!

As long as your programs are small (even with many more lines than
just four), there is no need "to split your code up into lots of
little files that must be properly named". And when you split up
your Python code into modules, they must be properly named, too.

But as the course develops, gradually, my participants learn the
meaning and purpose of the first three lines.

So, when you start out with vague terms like programming
languages that "scale down" and have a certain "simplicity",
you can then give vague recommendations!

Re: Downwardly Scalable Systems

<XnsB153940A1F442hueydlltampabayrrcom@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3759&group=comp.misc#3759

From: huey....@tampabay.rr.com (David LaRue)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 18:33:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David LaRue - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 18:33 UTC

ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote in news:Java-20240413181713
@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de:

> Ben Collver <bencollver@tilde.pink> wrote or quoted:
>>programming languages that "scale down".
>
> David forgot to tell use what it means for a programming language
> to "scale down".

<snip>
I've worked for many companies that used C/C++ or even a wide variety of
languages with features that not every programmer would know. For me,
scaling a language down is just limiting what language features you should
use in your program.

Teachers and beginning programmers do this in reverse. They first learn what
a language can do and find some way to solve their particular problem. Later
the learner can revisit their solutions to perhaps solve the problem with
less lines, new features they've learned, or just something new they'd like
to explore as some new concept.

Consider BASIC. Learners start with print and perhaps math statements.
Later they can add input, loops, and branching operations to build a more
complete program starting from their original programs goal.

Another reason to scale down a language is to accomodate more primative
versions of the same language or perhaps add support for different processors
or platforms. Sometimes more advanced features of a language aren't
supported or available on a different target machine's compiler/interpreter.

I'm not sure what else "scaling down" a language might mean.

Re: Downwardly Scalable Systems

<C++-20240413195002@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3760&group=comp.misc#3760

From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 13 Apr 2024 18:51:19 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 18:51 UTC

David LaRue <huey.dll@tampabay.rr.com> writes: For me,
>scaling a language down is just limiting what language features you should
>use in your program.

I can see how that'd be one take on "scaling down a language",
kinda reminds me of that quote:

|An interesting difference between "Effective Java" and
|"Effective C++" is that my reaction to the latter was to come
|up with a set of SOPs that mainly boil down to "don't use C++
|feature x".
Bjorn Borud.

(BTW: Bjorn also wrote:

|Java books are usually about doing stuff. C++ books are
|mostly about not shooting yourself in the foot. That just
|about sums up how you use the two environments too.

.)

Re: Downwardly Scalable Systems

<uvemdf$rnl$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3761&group=comp.misc#3761

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 13 Apr 2024 19:28:47 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 19:28 UTC

When I think about the utility of scaling systems down, I think more about
libraries, applications and operating systems than programming languages and
development tools.

But having used programming languages such as PL/1 and Ada where the language
features were so extensive that no one programmer really knew all of them
and everyone programmed in their own subset, I can say that giant languages
with a lot of features lead to maintenance issues in spite of their advantages
for initial coding. Scaling down may help.

And who ever thought it was a good idea to add pointers to Fortran 90.
Engineers should never be allowed to touch pointers. This is like giving
a Zippo lighter to a baby. Scaling down is needed here.
--scott

Re: Downwardly Scalable Systems

<661b0bd4@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3762&group=comp.misc#3762

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 14 Apr 2024 08:48:53 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 22:48 UTC

Stefan Ram <ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Ben Collver <bencollver@tilde.pink> wrote or quoted:
>>programming languages that "scale down".
>
> David forgot to tell use what it means for a programming language
> to "scale down".

Wasn't that in the second paragraph?

"Good systems should be able to scale down as well as up. They
should run on slower computers that don't have as much memory or
disk storage as the latest models. Likewise, from the human point
of view, downwardly scalable systems should also be small enough to
learn and use without being an expert programmer." ...

I read it mainly out of interest in his ideas for the first aspect
with running on slower computers, but it turns out he doesn't
really discuss that at all. They tend to be contradictory goals, so
without proposing a way to unify them it makes that aspect purely
aspirational.

In fact in terms of memory and disk storage GCC keeps going
backwards that even for C/C++. Compiling large C/C++ programs with
-Os in ever newer GCC versions keeps producing ever bigger binaries
for unchanged code. Of course other compilers are available and I'm
not sure how other popular ones compare.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Downwardly Scalable Systems

<slrnv1m6c0.dte.bencollver@svadhyaya.localdomain>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3764&group=comp.misc#3764

From: bencoll...@tilde.pink (Ben Collver)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 23:54:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ben Collver - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 23:54 UTC

On 2024-04-13, Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
> "Good systems should be able to scale down as well as up. They
> should run on slower computers that don't have as much memory or
> disk storage as the latest models. Likewise, from the human point
> of view, downwardly scalable systems should also be small enough to
> learn and use without being an expert programmer." ...
>
> I read it mainly out of interest in his ideas for the first aspect
> with running on slower computers, but it turns out he doesn't
> really discuss that at all. They tend to be contradictory goals, so
> without proposing a way to unify them it makes that aspect purely
> aspirational.

I like your distinction. My perspective:

1. Scale down to cheap or embedded hardware.

2. Scale down to "human scale."

Both imply restraint, which goes against the flow. It takes
discipline to trim the fat and simplify design.

From: <https://dadadrummer.substack.com/p/against-innovation>

Re: Downwardly Scalable Systems

<f2587e4a-d281-693f-530f-e3754c140ac1@example.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3766&group=comp.misc#3766

From: nos...@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 20:48:28 +0200
 by: D - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 18:48 UTC

On Sun, 14 Apr 2024, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:

> Stefan Ram <ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>> Ben Collver <bencollver@tilde.pink> wrote or quoted:
>>> programming languages that "scale down".
>>
>> David forgot to tell use what it means for a programming language
>> to "scale down".
>
> Wasn't that in the second paragraph?
>
> "Good systems should be able to scale down as well as up. They
> should run on slower computers that don't have as much memory or
> disk storage as the latest models. Likewise, from the human point
> of view, downwardly scalable systems should also be small enough to
> learn and use without being an expert programmer." ...
>
> I read it mainly out of interest in his ideas for the first aspect
> with running on slower computers, but it turns out he doesn't
> really discuss that at all. They tend to be contradictory goals, so
> without proposing a way to unify them it makes that aspect purely
> aspirational.
>
> In fact in terms of memory and disk storage GCC keeps going
> backwards that even for C/C++. Compiling large C/C++ programs with
> -Os in ever newer GCC versions keeps producing ever bigger binaries
> for unchanged code. Of course other compilers are available and I'm
> not sure how other popular ones compare.

Why do they go backwards? I mean larger binaries must come with some
benefit right?

Re: Downwardly Scalable Systems

<661c54d3@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3767&group=comp.misc#3767

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 15 Apr 2024 08:12:36 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 22:12 UTC

D <nospam@example.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Apr 2024, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>>
>> In fact in terms of memory and disk storage GCC keeps going
>> backwards that even for C/C++. Compiling large C/C++ programs with
>> -Os in ever newer GCC versions keeps producing ever bigger binaries
>> for unchanged code. Of course other compilers are available and I'm
>> not sure how other popular ones compare.
>
> Why do they go backwards?

I'd be quite interested to find out as well. When it comes to the
more fine-tuned optimisation options (a set of which -Os enables),
the GCC documentation is often very lacking in detail, especially
when it comes to changes between versions.

> I mean larger binaries must come with some benefit right?

The benchmarks that they're chasing are for speed rather than
binary size. -Os turns on some optimisations which may make a
program run a little slower in return for a smaller binary. My
guess is that the GCC developers aren't very interested in -Os
anymore, but I haven't seen an easy path to understanding why
exactly it keeps getting less effective than in earlier GCC
versions.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Downwardly Scalable Systems

<1f47f9e0-ad94-817e-3b0f-9ea84f24195d@example.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3769&group=comp.misc#3769

From: nos...@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 12:17:04 +0200
 by: D - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 10:17 UTC

On Mon, 15 Apr 2024, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:

> D <nospam@example.net> wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Apr 2024, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>>>
>>> In fact in terms of memory and disk storage GCC keeps going
>>> backwards that even for C/C++. Compiling large C/C++ programs with
>>> -Os in ever newer GCC versions keeps producing ever bigger binaries
>>> for unchanged code. Of course other compilers are available and I'm
>>> not sure how other popular ones compare.
>>
>> Why do they go backwards?
>
> I'd be quite interested to find out as well. When it comes to the
> more fine-tuned optimisation options (a set of which -Os enables),
> the GCC documentation is often very lacking in detail, especially
> when it comes to changes between versions.
>
>> I mean larger binaries must come with some benefit right?
>
> The benchmarks that they're chasing are for speed rather than
> binary size. -Os turns on some optimisations which may make a
> program run a little slower in return for a smaller binary. My
> guess is that the GCC developers aren't very interested in -Os
> anymore, but I haven't seen an easy path to understanding why
> exactly it keeps getting less effective than in earlier GCC
> versions.

Got it! Thank you for the information. I guess perhaps it's similar to the
old argument that emacs is "too big". With todays disks/ssds it matters
less and less.

Re: Downwardly Scalable Systems

<uvjdli$b0j7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3771&group=comp.misc#3771

From: candycan...@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 14:30:10 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 14:30 UTC

D <nospam@example.net> wrote at 10:17 this Monday (GMT):

> On Mon, 15 Apr 2024, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>
>> D <nospam@example.net> wrote:

>>> Why do they go backwards?
>>
>> I'd be quite interested to find out as well. When it comes to the
>> more fine-tuned optimisation options (a set of which -Os enables),
>> the GCC documentation is often very lacking in detail, especially
>> when it comes to changes between versions.
>>
>>> I mean larger binaries must come with some benefit right?
>>
>> The benchmarks that they're chasing are for speed rather than
>> binary size. -Os turns on some optimisations which may make a
>> program run a little slower in return for a smaller binary. My
>> guess is that the GCC developers aren't very interested in -Os
>> anymore, but I haven't seen an easy path to understanding why
>> exactly it keeps getting less effective than in earlier GCC
>> versions.
>
> Got it! Thank you for the information. I guess perhaps it's similar to the
> old argument that emacs is "too big". With todays disks/ssds it matters
> less and less.

Most programs are below 1gb.

Re: Downwardly Scalable Systems

<wwvzftuv81r.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3774&group=comp.misc#3774

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Richard Kettlewell)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 18:40:16 +0100
 by: Richard Kettlewell - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 17:40 UTC

not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev) writes:
> D <nospam@example.net> wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Apr 2024, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>>> In fact in terms of memory and disk storage GCC keeps going
>>> backwards that even for C/C++. Compiling large C/C++ programs with
>>> -Os in ever newer GCC versions keeps producing ever bigger binaries
>>> for unchanged code. Of course other compilers are available and I'm
>>> not sure how other popular ones compare.
>>
>> Why do they go backwards?
>
> I'd be quite interested to find out as well. When it comes to the
> more fine-tuned optimisation options (a set of which -Os enables),
> the GCC documentation is often very lacking in detail, especially
> when it comes to changes between versions.

Interesting question, and I don’t know the answer, but it’s not hard to
come up with a small concrete example. https://godbolt.org/z/sG5d99v5z
has the same code compiled at -Os with three different versions, plus
-O2 for comparison, and it does get a bit longer somewhere between 9.1
and 11.1.

The longer code uses one extra register (ebp) and because it’s run out
of callee-owned registers it must generate a push/pop pair for it
(adding 2 bytes to a 90-byte function, in this case).

It’s not easily explainable why it would do so: the gcc 9.1 object code
happily uses eax for the same purpose, without having to shuffle else
anything around, since eax isn’t being used for anything else at the
time.

Perhaps worth a bug report.

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Re: Downwardly Scalable Systems

<8fa845c7-5d8a-8cbe-3081-455550a9b7a1@example.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3776&group=comp.misc#3776

From: nos...@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 21:40:52 +0200
 by: D - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:40 UTC

On Mon, 15 Apr 2024, Richard Kettlewell wrote:

> not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev) writes:
>> D <nospam@example.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Why do they go backwards?
>>
>> I'd be quite interested to find out as well. When it comes to the
>> more fine-tuned optimisation options (a set of which -Os enables),
>> the GCC documentation is often very lacking in detail, especially
>> when it comes to changes between versions.
>
> Interesting question, and I don’t know the answer, but it’s not hard to
> come up with a small concrete example. https://godbolt.org/z/sG5d99v5z
> has the same code compiled at -Os with three different versions, plus
> -O2 for comparison, and it does get a bit longer somewhere between 9.1
> and 11.1.
>
> The longer code uses one extra register (ebp) and because it’s run out
> of callee-owned registers it must generate a push/pop pair for it
> (adding 2 bytes to a 90-byte function, in this case).
>
> It’s not easily explainable why it would do so: the gcc 9.1 object code
> happily uses eax for the same purpose, without having to shuffle else
> anything around, since eax isn’t being used for anything else at the
> time.
>
> Perhaps worth a bug report.

Or maybe, just maybe... another legendary supply chain attack? ;)

Re: Downwardly Scalable Systems

<uvklca$cdm$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3778&group=comp.misc#3778

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 16 Apr 2024 01:47:54 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 01:47 UTC

D <nospam@example.net> wrote:

>Why do they go backwards? I mean larger binaries must come with some
>benefit right?

The hello world executable generated with gcc under Oracle Linux 8 is
42Mb long, which is more MASS STORAGE than I had on the first Unix
system I ever used. I can't see this as being a good thing.
--scott

Re: Downwardly Scalable Systems

<wwvy19dbw6f.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3779&group=comp.misc#3779

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Richard Kettlewell)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 08:31:36 +0100
 by: Richard Kettlewell - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 07:31 UTC

kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) writes:
> D <nospam@example.net> wrote:
>>Why do they go backwards? I mean larger binaries must come with some
>>benefit right?
>
> The hello world executable generated with gcc under Oracle Linux 8 is
> 42Mb long, which is more MASS STORAGE than I had on the first Unix
> system I ever used. I can't see this as being a good thing.

I’m not sure how you managed to make it be 42MB. If I use the official
container imagine it comes out under 20KB.

[root@4b3cfcf8c484 /]# cat t.c
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void) { return printf("Hello, world\n"); }
[root@4b3cfcf8c484 /]# gcc -O2 -o t t.c
[root@4b3cfcf8c484 /]# ./t
Hello, world
[root@4b3cfcf8c484 /]# ls -l t
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 18096 Apr 16 07:27 t

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Re: Downwardly Scalable Systems

<ac12ab99-93e8-271a-98b2-42ecac33e79e@example.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3781&group=comp.misc#3781

From: nos...@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 10:52:32 +0200
 by: D - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 08:52 UTC

On Tue, 16 Apr 2024, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> D <nospam@example.net> wrote:
>>
>> Why do they go backwards? I mean larger binaries must come with some
>> benefit right?
>
> The hello world executable generated with gcc under Oracle Linux 8 is
> 42Mb long, which is more MASS STORAGE than I had on the first Unix
> system I ever used. I can't see this as being a good thing.
> --scott

Well, for you and me it is not. But for the "cool" k8s crowd and the
"modern man" storage is infinite, so why bother with a hello world of 42
Mb? ;)