From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Set up WhatsApp for direct dial & direct messaging privacy without uploading your contacts db to Meta servers
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 00:35:27 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 00:35 UTC

How to set up WhatsApp for direct dial & direct messaging privacy
(without _ever_ uploading your contacts database to Meta servers)
a. WhatsApp Account Setup
b. WhatsApp Direct Dial
c. WhatsApp Chat/SMS
d. WhatsApp Send any file type/MMS
<https://i.postimg.cc/cJFmTXqb/waprivacy01.jpg> WhatsApp contact privacy

Screenshot is for Android privacy so if you have the same privacy on iOS
please let me know the apps so that I can set it up the same there too.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to discuss using WhatsApp with contact privacy.

Re: Set up WhatsApp for direct dial & direct messaging privacy without uploading your contacts db to Meta servers

<tseet5$2qvbb$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37737&group=comp.mobile.android#37737

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.privacy
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 22:51:31 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 22:51 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> How to set up WhatsApp for direct dial & direct messaging privacy
> (without _ever_ uploading your contacts database to Meta servers)
> a. WhatsApp Account Setup
> b. WhatsApp Direct Dial
> c. WhatsApp Chat/SMS
> d. WhatsApp Send any file type/MMS
> <https://i.postimg.cc/cJFmTXqb/waprivacy01.jpg> WhatsApp contact privacy
>
> Screenshot is for Android privacy so if you have the same privacy on iOS
> please let me know the apps so that I can set it up the same there too.

Never let _any_ app *EVER!* upload the contacts database to the Internet!

It's rude that people have a contacts database they upload to the net.
So I will always use apps that can maintain their own contacts data.

Being in the USA, I almost never need to use WhatsApp to communicate.
However, I'm traveling to Germany to visit friends & family so I needed
to set up a free communication mechanism to work while overseas.

Hence, I tested this Android setup and can now move to the iOS test setup.
<https://i.postimg.cc/636XBckk/whatsapp01.jpg>

As you must be well aware, I consider it extremely rude when people upload
contacts to any mothership, Google, Apple & Meta being some of the worst.

*Luckily, it's easy not to be rude to everyone in your contacts db.*

To help others set up WhatsApp without giving Meta your contacts database,
apparently you only need these two free adfree apps to direct dial & chat.
1. WhatsDirect (this is a direct-dial keypad for WhatsApp)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tk.crazydevelopers.whatsdirect>
2. WhatsApp Account Setup (which is automatic by SMS when you first run it)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.whatsapp>

All I did was use the "WhatsDirect" dialer to dial the WhatsApp recipient.
That action automatically brings up "WhatsApp" to make that direct call.

The WhatsApp app can also do text chat and image uploads & downloads.
So the other two apps listed in the OP for that purpose are superfluous.

In summary, the free WhatsDirect dialer will directly bring up anyone on
WhatsApp for text 'chat', media upload/download and/or direct voice calls.
<https://i.postimg.cc/cJFmTXqb/waprivacy01.jpg> WhatsApp contact privacy

This seems to be a similar free adfree whatsApp dialer for iOS platform.
*Dialer for WhatsApp* Direct message for WhatsApp by Juan Estrella
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/dialer-for-whatsapp-direct/id1534997088>
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to advise people how to use WA without contacts.