What the scientists have in their briefcases is terrifying. -- Nikita Khruschev

computers / alt.os.linux.mageia / chromium does not allow login to google.

SubjectAuthor
* chromium does not allow login to google.William Unruh
+* Re: chromium does not allow login to google.Aragorn
|`* Re: chromium does not allow login to google.William Unruh
| `* Re: chromium does not allow login to google.Aragorn
|  `* Re: chromium does not allow login to google.William Unruh
|   `* Re: chromium does not allow login to google.William Unruh
|    `* Re: chromium does not allow login to google.Bobbie Sellers
|     +- Re: chromium does not allow login to google.William Unruh
|     `* Re: chromium does not allow login to google.red floyd
|      `- Re: chromium does not allow login to google.Bobbie Sellers
`* Re: chromium does not allow login to google.David W. Hodgins
 +- Re: chromium does not allow login to google.David W. Hodgins
 `* Re: chromium does not allow login to google.William Unruh
  `* Re: chromium does not allow login to google.TJ
   `- Re: chromium does not allow login to google.David W. Hodgins

1
chromium does not allow login to google.

<s8m3t2$af6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3783&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3783

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: chromium does not allow login to google.
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 18:26:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Wed, 26 May 2021 18:26 UTC

I am trying to install Adblock on Chromium. Unfortunately it does not
allow me to log into google account claiming my browser is insecure.
The explanation says that means (the most likely case) that Javascript
is turned off. But it is not. SEarching Settings for Javascript, it says
it is turned on. I have no other extentions. What is going on? Does
chromium really not support Google Web Store?

Re: chromium does not allow login to google.

<20210526205949.0c8a4b6e@nx-74205>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3784&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3784

From: thoron...@telenet.be (Aragorn)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: chromium does not allow login to google.
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 20:59:49 +0200
 by: Aragorn - Wed, 26 May 2021 18:59 UTC

On 26.05.2021 at 18:26, William Unruh scribbled:

> I am trying to install Adblock on Chromium. Unfortunately it does not
> allow me to log into google account claiming my browser is insecure.
> The explanation says that means (the most likely case) that Javascript
> is turned off. But it is not. SEarching Settings for Javascript, it
> says it is turned on. I have no other extentions. What is going on?
> Does chromium really not support Google Web Store?

I've got Ad Block Plus in my Chromium — version 90, but as you
probably know by now, I am running Manjaro here, not Mageia — and I
never log into Chromium itself, but I am logged into my Google/YouTube
account, and I can also access the Chrome App Store.

My ABP even comes from the Chrome App Store. Manjaro carries ABP in its
repos, but only for Firefox, not for Chromium.

Try clearing out the cache and cookies.

--
With respect,
= Aragorn

Re: chromium does not allow login to google.

<s8ma5e$oq4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3789&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3789

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 20:13:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Wed, 26 May 2021 20:13 UTC

On 2021-05-26, Aragorn <thorongil@telenet.be> wrote:
> On 26.05.2021 at 18:26, William Unruh scribbled:
>
>> I am trying to install Adblock on Chromium. Unfortunately it does not
>> allow me to log into google account claiming my browser is insecure.
>> The explanation says that means (the most likely case) that Javascript
>> is turned off. But it is not. SEarching Settings for Javascript, it
>> says it is turned on. I have no other extentions. What is going on?
>> Does chromium really not support Google Web Store?
>
> I've got Ad Block Plus in my Chromium — version 90, but as you
> probably know by now, I am running Manjaro here, not Mageia — and I
> never log into Chromium itself, but I am logged into my Google/YouTube
> account, and I can also access the Chrome App Store.

How did you get it. I keep getting told that my browser is not secure,
and refusing to let me log in to google. Except on Chrome, where I can
log in, but only install it on Chrome. Ie, it does not download any file
that I can install on Chromium.

> My ABP even comes from the Chrome App Store. Manjaro carries ABP in its
> repos, but only for Firefox, not for Chromium.
>
> Try clearing out the cache and cookies.

Re: chromium does not allow login to google.

<op.030rcjf9a3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3790&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3790

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 17:30:09 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Wed, 26 May 2021 21:30 UTC

On Wed, 26 May 2021 14:26:42 -0400, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:

> I am trying to install Adblock on Chromium. Unfortunately it does not
> allow me to log into google account claiming my browser is insecure.
> The explanation says that means (the most likely case) that Javascript
> is turned off. But it is not. SEarching Settings for Javascript, it says
> it is turned on. I have no other extentions. What is going on? Does
> chromium really not support Google Web Store?

Confirmed. Looks like google has broken it's app store for chromium (again). Found a
similar problem reported before, though in that case is was due to already installed
extensions.

https://github.com/NeverDecaf/chromium-web-store/issues/31
No installation button on chrome webstore #31

If they don't fix in in a few days, probably best to open a new bug report
at the github site.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org to davidwhodgins@teksavvy.com for
email replies.

Re: chromium does not allow login to google.

<op.030tiykaa3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3791&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3791

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 18:17:12 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Wed, 26 May 2021 22:17 UTC

On Wed, 26 May 2021 17:30:09 -0400, David W. Hodgins <dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 May 2021 14:26:42 -0400, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to install Adblock on Chromium. Unfortunately it does not
>> allow me to log into google account claiming my browser is insecure.
>> The explanation says that means (the most likely case) that Javascript
>> is turned off. But it is not. SEarching Settings for Javascript, it says
>> it is turned on. I have no other extentions. What is going on? Does
>> chromium really not support Google Web Store?
>
> Confirmed. Looks like google has broken it's app store for chromium (again). Found a
> similar problem reported before, though in that case is was due to already installed
> extensions.
>
> https://github.com/NeverDecaf/chromium-web-store/issues/31
> No installation button on chrome webstore #31
>
> If they don't fix in in a few days, probably best to open a new bug report
> at the github site.

I should add I've never logged into google with chromium, and didn't try it or
plan to, so haven't looked at that part of the described problem.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org to davidwhodgins@teksavvy.com for
email replies.

Re: chromium does not allow login to google.

<s8mth8$7cc$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3792&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3792

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 01:44:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Thu, 27 May 2021 01:44 UTC

On 2021-05-26, David W. Hodgins <dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2021 14:26:42 -0400, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to install Adblock on Chromium. Unfortunately it does not
>> allow me to log into google account claiming my browser is insecure.
>> The explanation says that means (the most likely case) that Javascript
>> is turned off. But it is not. SEarching Settings for Javascript, it says
>> it is turned on. I have no other extentions. What is going on? Does
>> chromium really not support Google Web Store?
>
> Confirmed. Looks like google has broken it's app store for chromium (again). Found a
> similar problem reported before, though in that case is was due to already installed
> extensions.

It also did not work in Konqueror.

> https://github.com/NeverDecaf/chromium-web-store/issues/31
> No installation button on chrome webstore #31
>
> If they don't fix in in a few days, probably best to open a new bug report
> at the github site.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: chromium does not allow login to google.

<s8mvlj$7vf$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3793&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3793

From: TJ...@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 22:20:34 -0400
 by: TJ - Thu, 27 May 2021 02:20 UTC

On 5/26/21 9:44 PM, William Unruh wrote:
> On 2021-05-26, David W. Hodgins <dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 May 2021 14:26:42 -0400, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to install Adblock on Chromium. Unfortunately it does not
>>> allow me to log into google account claiming my browser is insecure.
>>> The explanation says that means (the most likely case) that Javascript
>>> is turned off. But it is not. SEarching Settings for Javascript, it says
>>> it is turned on. I have no other extentions. What is going on? Does
>>> chromium really not support Google Web Store?
>>
>> Confirmed. Looks like google has broken it's app store for chromium (again). Found a
>> similar problem reported before, though in that case is was due to already installed
>> extensions.
>
> It also did not work in Konqueror.
>

>> https://github.com/NeverDecaf/chromium-web-store/issues/31
>> No installation button on chrome webstore #31
>>
>> If they don't fix in in a few days, probably best to open a new bug report
>> at the github site.
>>
>> Regards, Dave Hodgins
>Dave, could this be related to reported problems with Mageia's Firefox
and some web sites? Perhaps some library all three (chromium, konqueror,
firefox esr) have in common?

TJ

Re: chromium does not allow login to google.

<20210527111235.3d07ba27@nx-74205>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3794&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3794

From: thoron...@telenet.be (Aragorn)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 11:12:35 +0200
 by: Aragorn - Thu, 27 May 2021 09:12 UTC

On 26.05.2021 at 20:13, William Unruh scribbled:

> On 2021-05-26, Aragorn <thorongil@telenet.be> wrote:
> > On 26.05.2021 at 18:26, William Unruh scribbled:
> >
> >> I am trying to install Adblock on Chromium. Unfortunately it does
> >> not allow me to log into google account claiming my browser is
> >> insecure. The explanation says that means (the most likely case)
> >> that Javascript is turned off. But it is not. SEarching Settings
> >> for Javascript, it says it is turned on. I have no other
> >> extentions. What is going on? Does chromium really not support
> >> Google Web Store?
> >
> > I've got Ad Block Plus in my Chromium — version 90, but as you
> > probably know by now, I am running Manjaro here, not Mageia — and I
> > never log into Chromium itself, but I am logged into my
> > Google/YouTube account, and I can also access the Chrome App Store.
>
> How did you get it.

I simply installed it through the App Store, and it has so far not
given me any problems with anything.

> I keep getting told that my browser is not secure, and refusing to
> let me log in to google.

I don't know whether this applies to you, but there was an article on
Slashdot yesterday that described how many Chrome/Chromium extensions
are bypassing the built-in security precautions of Chrome/Chromium —
e.g. by disabling the mandatory https in favor of http, and such.

Maybe you have one of those extensions that also does that?

> Except on Chrome, where I can log in, but only install it on Chrome.
> Ie, it does not download any file that I can install on Chromium.

There was talk of Google disabling access to Google services for
non-Google-developed Chromium-based browsers — not for the proprietary
Chrome, of course — but I'd be surprised if the App Store fell under
that same ruling. As I understand it, it would be more related to
Google Docs and the likes.

--
With respect,
= Aragorn

Re: chromium does not allow login to google.

<op.031589yta3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3795&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3795

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 11:49:47 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Thu, 27 May 2021 15:49 UTC

On Wed, 26 May 2021 22:20:34 -0400, TJ <TJ@noneofyour.business> wrote:
>> Dave, could this be related to reported problems with Mageia's Firefox
> and some web sites? Perhaps some library all three (chromium, konqueror,
> firefox esr) have in common?

It's possible. It's also possible that they are similar problems but in different
libraries. There are so many libraries used in each browser, tracking down which
one is causing problems on which type of website is going to be vary difficult.

In the case of chromium it may have been a build problem as per
Bug 28837 - Update request: Chromium (Google deny login)
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=28837#c9

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org to davidwhodgins@teksavvy.com for
email replies.

Re: chromium does not allow login to google.

<s8ombb$828$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3796&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3796

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 17:53:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Thu, 27 May 2021 17:53 UTC

On 2021-05-27, Aragorn <thorongil@telenet.be> wrote:
> On 26.05.2021 at 20:13, William Unruh scribbled:
>
>> On 2021-05-26, Aragorn <thorongil@telenet.be> wrote:
>> > On 26.05.2021 at 18:26, William Unruh scribbled:

>> > I've got Ad Block Plus in my Chromium — version 90, but as you
>> > probably know by now, I am running Manjaro here, not Mageia — and I
>> > never log into Chromium itself, but I am logged into my
>> > Google/YouTube account, and I can also access the Chrome App Store.
>>
>> How did you get it.
>
> I simply installed it through the App Store, and it has so far not
> given me any problems with anything.
>
>> I keep getting told that my browser is not secure, and refusing to
>> let me log in to google.
>
> I don't know whether this applies to you, but there was an article on
> Slashdot yesterday that described how many Chrome/Chromium extensions
> are bypassing the built-in security precautions of Chrome/Chromium —
> e.g. by disabling the mandatory https in favor of http, and such.
>
> Maybe you have one of those extensions that also does that?
>
>> Except on Chrome, where I can log in, but only install it on Chrome.
>> Ie, it does not download any file that I can install on Chromium.
>
> There was talk of Google disabling access to Google services for
> non-Google-developed Chromium-based browsers — not for the proprietary
> Chrome, of course — but I'd be surprised if the App Store fell under
> that same ruling. As I understand it, it would be more related to
> Google Docs and the likes.

This is Chromium, not a Chromium based browser. And when I tried
Konqueror, I got the same problem. Apparently I was told that google had
also broken Chromium late last year, befor they fixed the Web store.
Konqueror had no extentions, and Chromium one (and "automatic" login
from our Uni library to allow access to many journals)

Re: chromium does not allow login to google.

<s8omod$828$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3797&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3797

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 18:00:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Thu, 27 May 2021 18:00 UTC

On 2021-05-27, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:
> On 2021-05-27, Aragorn <thorongil@telenet.be> wrote:

>>> How did you get it.
>>
>> I simply installed it through the App Store, and it has so far not
>> given me any problems with anything.
>>
>>> I keep getting told that my browser is not secure, and refusing to
>>> let me log in to google.

I finally got Adblock installed, by following the directions on
https://help.getadblock.com/support/solutions/articles/6000138342-how-to-install-adblock-in-chrome-when-you-can-t-do-it-the-normal-way
-- So Adblock is now running on Chromium, except that the Adblock icon
is not showing up on the title-bar. If I look at the extentions, the
icon is there and is showing the number of ads it has killed, but not on
the title bar. I do have the option to show on the title bar clicked on,
but nothing shows up.

Re: chromium does not allow login to google.

<s8osfm$rjj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3798&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3798

From: bli...@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 12:38:29 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Thu, 27 May 2021 19:38 UTC

On 5/27/21 11:00 AM, William Unruh wrote:
> On 2021-05-27, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:
>> On 2021-05-27, Aragorn <thorongil@telenet.be> wrote:
>>> On 26.05.2021 at 20:13, William Unruh scribbled:

>>> I simply installed it through the App Store, and it has so far not
>>> given me any problems with anything.

> I finally got Adblock installed, by following the directions on
> https://help.getadblock.com/support/solutions/articles/6000138342-how-to-install-adblock-in-chrome-when-you-can-t-do-it-the-normal-way
> -- So Adblock is now running on Chromium, except that the Adblock icon
> is not showing up on the title-bar. If I look at the extentions, the
> icon is there and is showing the number of ads it has killed, but not on
> the title bar. I do have the option to show on the title bar clicked on,
> but nothing shows up.

Not logging onto Google sounds like a security feature to me.

DuckDuckGo is my search engine of choice.

bliss runs Pretty Cool Linux Operating System aka pclinuxos with 5.12.7

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: chromium does not allow login to google.

<s8oti0$2jh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3799&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3799

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 19:56:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Thu, 27 May 2021 19:56 UTC

On 2021-05-27, Bobbie Sellers <bliss@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
> On 5/27/21 11:00 AM, William Unruh wrote:

>> I finally got Adblock installed, by following the directions on
>> https://help.getadblock.com/support/solutions/articles/6000138342-how-to-install-adblock-in-chrome-when-you-can-t-do-it-the-normal-way
>> -- So Adblock is now running on Chromium, except that the Adblock icon
>> is not showing up on the title-bar. If I look at the extentions, the
>> icon is there and is showing the number of ads it has killed, but not on
>> the title bar. I do have the option to show on the title bar clicked on,
>> but nothing shows up.
>>

> Not logging onto Google sounds like a security feature to me.

Well, maybe, but it is independent of the search engine. I am trying to
get onto the Web store, where various things like addblock or ublock.
That is independent of the search engine.

> DuckDuckGo is my search engine of choice.
>
> bliss runs Pretty Cool Linux Operating System aka pclinuxos with 5.12.7

Re: chromium does not allow login to google.

<s8ov6p$9r3$1@redfloyd.dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3800&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3800

From: no.spam....@its.invalid (red floyd)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 13:24:56 -0700
 by: red floyd - Thu, 27 May 2021 20:24 UTC

On 5/27/2021 12:38 PM, Bobbie Sellers wrote:

> bliss runs Pretty Cool Linux Operating System aka pclinuxos with 5.12.7

Is that Texstar's distro?

Re: chromium does not allow login to google.

<s8p08v$lq5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3801&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3801

From: bli...@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 13:43:09 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Thu, 27 May 2021 20:43 UTC

On 5/27/21 1:24 PM, red floyd wrote:
> On 5/27/2021 12:38 PM, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
>
>> bliss runs Pretty Cool Linux Operating System aka pclinuxos with 5.12.7
>
> Is that Texstar's distro?

Yes it is!

bliss- Gael Duval's work led to PCLinuxOS, Mandriva, Mageia and
OpenMandriva. PCLinux is the coolest followed tightly by Mageia but
one uses the Rolling Release model and the other the sadly numbered
release. Mandriva is out of business and OpenMandriva offers RCs
and Betas.

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com