I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature. -- Thomas Jefferson

computers / comp.misc / Re: MS Publisher replacement

SubjectAuthor
* MS Publisher replacementChris J Dixon
+* Re: MS Publisher replacementSH
|+- Re: MS Publisher replacementAharon Robbins
|`* Re: MS Publisher replacementChris J Dixon
| `* Re: MS Publisher replacementSH
|  `- Re: MS Publisher replacementSH
`- Re: MS Publisher replacementTheo

1
MS Publisher replacement

<4ovs1jd4nh15v9jer0ej01od508njo0t6m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3782&group=comp.misc#3782

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: MS Publisher replacement
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 14:43:45 +0100
 by: Chris J Dixon - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 13:43 UTC

I have a number of complex, graphic-heavy MS Publisher documents
that I have created over the years which I will need to continue
to edit, or produce new documents based on my originals.

As it seems that by 2026 there will be no ability to do this in
Publisher, I am looking for a replacement that will have
equivalent page layout capability, and will import Publisher
files with their contents still accessible, not simply a single
image of the original.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: MS Publisher replacement

<uvmb57$127mq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3783&group=comp.misc#3783

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: MS Publisher replacement
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 18:05:43 +0100
 by: SH - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:05 UTC

On 16/04/2024 14:43, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> I have a number of complex, graphic-heavy MS Publisher documents
> that I have created over the years which I will need to continue
> to edit, or produce new documents based on my originals.
>
> As it seems that by 2026 there will be no ability to do this in
> Publisher, I am looking for a replacement that will have
> equivalent page layout capability, and will import Publisher
> files with their contents still accessible, not simply a single
> image of the original.
>
> Chris

Have you looked at Affinity's software?

Also I have Office 365 and this gives me access to Publisher. SO are you
saying MS are withdrawing Publisher entirely?

Re: MS Publisher replacement

<661ec44a$0$715$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3784&group=comp.misc#3784

Newsgroups: comp.misc
From: arn...@freefriends.org (Aharon Robbins)
Originator: arnold@freefriends.org (Aharon Robbins)
Date: 16 Apr 2024 18:32:43 GMT
 by: Aharon Robbins - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 18:32 UTC

>On 16/04/2024 14:43, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>> I have a number of complex, graphic-heavy MS Publisher documents
>> that I have created over the years which I will need to continue
>> to edit, or produce new documents based on my originals.
>>
>> As it seems that by 2026 there will be no ability to do this in
>> Publisher, I am looking for a replacement that will have
>> equivalent page layout capability, and will import Publisher
>> files with their contents still accessible, not simply a single
>> image of the original.
>>
>> Chris

Putting "MS Publisher alternative" into Google brings up opensource
options. At least one can import MS Publisher documents.

Good luck!

Re: MS Publisher replacement

<vdht1j1d6lg87rnucvkur815gfmm9o7l7d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3785&group=comp.misc#3785

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 19:43:48 +0100
 by: Chris J Dixon - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 18:43 UTC

SH wrote:

>On 16/04/2024 14:43, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>> I have a number of complex, graphic-heavy MS Publisher documents
>> that I have created over the years which I will need to continue
>> to edit, or produce new documents based on my originals.
>>
>> As it seems that by 2026 there will be no ability to do this in
>> Publisher, I am looking for a replacement that will have
>> equivalent page layout capability, and will import Publisher
>> files with their contents still accessible, not simply a single
>> image of the original.
>
>Have you looked at Affinity's software?

So far I am waiting positive recommendations before exploring.

>Also I have Office 365 and this gives me access to Publisher. SO are you
>saying MS are withdrawing Publisher entirely?

That is correct

<https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/microsoft-publisher-will-no-longer-be-supported-after-october-2026-ee6302a2-4bc7-4841-babf-8e9be3acbfd7>

"In October 2026, Microsoft Publisher will reach its end of life.
After that time, it will no longer be included in Microsoft 365
and existing on-premises suites will no longer be supported.
Until then, support for Publisher will continue and users can
expect the same experience as today. "

"Support for the perpetual version of Publisher will end in
October 2026, when Office LTSC 2021 reaches end of support.
Microsoft 365 customers will not be able to access Publisher from
that date forward. "

Not good news.

My personal need is not simply being able to achieve the same
result, but avoiding having to recreate some complex documents
from scratch.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: MS Publisher replacement

<uvmje5$13poj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3786&group=comp.misc#3786

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 20:27:01 +0100
 by: SH - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 19:27 UTC

On 16/04/2024 19:43, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> SH wrote:
>
>> On 16/04/2024 14:43, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>>> I have a number of complex, graphic-heavy MS Publisher documents
>>> that I have created over the years which I will need to continue
>>> to edit, or produce new documents based on my originals.
>>>
>>> As it seems that by 2026 there will be no ability to do this in
>>> Publisher, I am looking for a replacement that will have
>>> equivalent page layout capability, and will import Publisher
>>> files with their contents still accessible, not simply a single
>>> image of the original.
>>
>> Have you looked at Affinity's software?
>
> So far I am waiting positive recommendations before exploring.
>
>> Also I have Office 365 and this gives me access to Publisher. SO are you
>> saying MS are withdrawing Publisher entirely?
>
> That is correct
>
> <https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/microsoft-publisher-will-no-longer-be-supported-after-october-2026-ee6302a2-4bc7-4841-babf-8e9be3acbfd7>
>
> "In October 2026, Microsoft Publisher will reach its end of life.
> After that time, it will no longer be included in Microsoft 365
> and existing on-premises suites will no longer be supported.
> Until then, support for Publisher will continue and users can
> expect the same experience as today. "
>
> "Support for the perpetual version of Publisher will end in
> October 2026, when Office LTSC 2021 reaches end of support.
> Microsoft 365 customers will not be able to access Publisher from
> that date forward. "
>
> Not good news.
>
> My personal need is not simply being able to achieve the same
> result, but avoiding having to recreate some complex documents
> from scratch.
>
> Chris

Is Designer included in the Office 365 subscription or is it an add one
one has to pay for?

(Just thinking out aloud and wondering if Designer can open Publisher
files?)

Re: MS Publisher replacement

<uvmjjs$13poj$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3787&group=comp.misc#3787

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 20:30:05 +0100
 by: SH - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 19:30 UTC

On 16/04/2024 20:27, SH wrote:
> On 16/04/2024 19:43, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>> SH wrote:

>>> Have you looked at Affinity's software?
>>
>> So far I am waiting positive recommendations before exploring.
>>
>>> Also I have Office 365 and this gives me access to Publisher. SO are you
>>> saying MS are withdrawing Publisher entirely?
>>
>> That is correct
>>
>> <https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/microsoft-publisher-will-no-longer-be-supported-after-october-2026-ee6302a2-4bc7-4841-babf-8e9be3acbfd7>
>>
>> "In October 2026, Microsoft Publisher will reach its end of life.
>> After that time, it will no longer be included in Microsoft 365
>> and existing on-premises suites will no longer be supported.
>> Until then, support for Publisher will continue and users can
>> expect the same experience as today. "
>>
>> "Support for the perpetual version of Publisher will end in
>> October 2026, when Office LTSC 2021 reaches end of support.
>> Microsoft 365 customers will not be able to access Publisher from
>> that date forward. "
>>
>> Not good news.
>>
>> My personal need is not simply being able to achieve the same
>> result, but avoiding having to recreate some complex documents
>> from scratch.
>>
>> Chris
>

> Is Designer included in the Office 365 subscription or is it an add one
> one has to pay for?
>
> (Just thinking out aloud and wondering if Designer can open Publisher
> files?)

P.S>

https://www.lifewire.com/open-pub-files-without-microsoft-publisher-1074669

Re: MS Publisher replacement

<MLy*sqbIz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3801&group=comp.misc#3801

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 17 Apr 2024 23:42:18 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 22:42 UTC

Chris J Dixon <chris@cdixon.me.uk> wrote:
> I have a number of complex, graphic-heavy MS Publisher documents
> that I have created over the years which I will need to continue
> to edit, or produce new documents based on my originals.
>
> As it seems that by 2026 there will be no ability to do this in
> Publisher, I am looking for a replacement that will have
> equivalent page layout capability, and will import Publisher
> files with their contents still accessible, not simply a single
> image of the original.

Scribus is an open source equivalent to Publisher. It seems it can import
Publisher files, although I couldn't vouch for how well it works. I'd not
be surprised if some rework would be required after import.

Maybe set up a VM with a non-365 Publisher in it, so you have a copy on hand
when Publisher expires?

Theo