Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. -- Wernher von Braun

computers / alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt / Re: Win 11

SubjectAuthor
* Win 11philo
+* Re: Win 11Paul
|`* Re: Win 11philo
| `- Re: Win 11Paul
`* Re: Win 11Larc
 +* Re: Win 11Rene Lamontagne
 |`* Re: Win 11Peter Johnson
 | +* Re: Win 11Paul
 | |`* Re: Win 11Rene Lamontagne
 | | `- Re: Win 11Larc
 | `- Re: Win 11Larc
 +- Re: Win 11philo
 `* Re: Win 11Peter Johnson
  `* Re: Win 11philo
   `* Re: Win 11Charlie
    `* Re: Win 11Larc
     +- Re: Win 11Bob F
     `- Re: Win 11philo

1
Win 11

<01eeab26174950fb8c0e5fcc2e863303@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=362&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#362

From: phi...@news.novabbs.com (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Win 11
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 13:31:12 +0000
 by: philo - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 13:31 UTC

Since I'm on the MS insider program I'm evaluating Win11 and getting used to the fairy minor changes from Win10.

I have an ASRock J3455M quad core with 16 gigs of RAM that really runs it rather poorly. Of course I'm using an actual hard drive so just ordered an EVO ssd.

Should know in a few days.

Re: Win 11

<sdhvpn$10v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=363&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#363

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Win 11
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 17:13:27 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 21:13 UTC

philo wrote:
> Since I'm on the MS insider program I'm evaluating Win11 and getting
> used to the fairy minor changes from Win10.
>
> I have an ASRock J3455M quad core with 16 gigs of RAM that really runs
> it rather poorly. Of course I'm using an actual hard drive so just
> ordered an EVO ssd.
>
> Should know in a few days.

Yes, an SSD is recommended.

The J3455 has a surprisingly good set of tick boxes, on ark.intel.com .
It almost passes muster, for the real Windows 11.

There is only one feature, a feature not listed on the Intel
ark.intel.com site, which may gate your and my processors from
doing the containers/virtualization things they have planned.
And it's that hardware feature, that curates the CPU list
to "only three year old processors".

Your J3455 has turbo, so for some loads, will run
a tiny bit faster than stock. But the 2MB cache is kinda
hard on it. At least it's not gimped on memory bus
design, and has a conventional implementation.
The worst processor Intel ever made (lately) had
half-a-bus (a 32 bit interface) and could not even
use DIMMs. That's how badly Intel needed to
gimp that one. Yours is a couple classes above that.

I wish they would *fix* CoreInfo, so it showed all the
features Windows 11 is looking for...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/coreinfo

Paul

Re: Win 11

<09789508bfc288161120693779af3ec0@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=364&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#364

From: phi...@news.novabbs.com (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 21:38:35 +0000
 by: philo - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 21:38 UTC

I bought that mobo because of it's low price and for Linux it was just fine.

If the ssd does not do the trick I'll have to get a new mono and CPU...but I think the ssd should help quite a bit.

I am waiting to see how Win 11 will run Android apps. Mostly just out of curiosity.

Re: Win 11

<sdi4r6$1ds$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=365&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#365

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 18:39:34 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 22:39 UTC

philo wrote:
> I bought that mobo because of it's low price and for Linux it was just
> fine.
>
> If the ssd does not do the trick I'll have to get a new mono and
> CPU...but I think the ssd should help quite a bit.
>
> I am waiting to see how Win 11 will run Android apps. Mostly just out
> of curiosity.

But it will work for some set of Android applications stored in
the Windows Store, not the Google Play Store. Maybe more Flappy Birds ???

Paul

Re: Win 11

<gprqfg14qf88hftqq108pnoc74sc85v07f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=366&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#366

From: lar...@notmyaddress.com (Larc)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 10:44:00 -0400
 by: Larc - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 14:44 UTC

On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 13:31:12 +0000, philo@news.novabbs.com (philo) wrote:

| Since I'm on the MS insider program I'm evaluating Win11 and getting used to the fairy minor changes from Win10.
|
| I have an ASRock J3455M quad core with 16 gigs of RAM that really runs it rather poorly. Of course I'm using an actual hard drive so just ordered an EVO ssd.
|
| Should know in a few days.

I'm also running 11 as an Insider. Using a cheapie 256GB Inland Premium NVMe SSD I
got from Amazon for about $42 as my system drive (HDDs for 2 other drives). It works
fine, but I'm very unimpressed with 11 so far. Not enough differences between that
and 10, and the differences that exist are mainly negative ones, IMO. Once 11 with
its stringent requirements is inflicted on the public late this year or early next
and many users find they will need to buy new hardware to run it, I suspect the
proverbial stinky substance is going to hit the fan.

Larc

Re: Win 11

<im5ca4Fr83aU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=367&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#367

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 09:55:00 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 14:55 UTC

On 2021-07-25 9:44 a.m., Larc wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 13:31:12 +0000, philo@news.novabbs.com (philo) wrote:
>
> | Since I'm on the MS insider program I'm evaluating Win11 and getting used to the fairy minor changes from Win10.
> |
> | I have an ASRock J3455M quad core with 16 gigs of RAM that really runs it rather poorly. Of course I'm using an actual hard drive so just ordered an EVO ssd.
> |
> | Should know in a few days.
>
> I'm also running 11 as an Insider. Using a cheapie 256GB Inland Premium NVMe SSD I
> got from Amazon for about $42 as my system drive (HDDs for 2 other drives). It works
> fine, but I'm very unimpressed with 11 so far. Not enough differences between that
> and 10, and the differences that exist are mainly negative ones, IMO. Once 11 with
> its stringent requirements is inflicted on the public late this year or early next
> and many users find they will need to buy new hardware to run it, I suspect the
> proverbial stinky substance is going to hit the fan.
>
> Larc

I don't care much for the settings system, much preferred the old
control panel, all in all I am not too impressed.

Rene

Re: Win 11

<a977d061a4ea33879eca2375bd3196d4@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=368&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#368

From: phi...@news.novabbs.com (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 21:31:36 +0000
 by: philo - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 21:31 UTC

Just cloned Win11 to an SSD and now it's performing pretty well.

Even though it looks like a pretty clear move to force a hardware upgrade...it did not cost me much to get much better performance.

Re: Win 11

<l9bagg5rr9tefah0if9l425ftniitto1ut@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=369&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#369

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 12:01:50 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 11:01 UTC

On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 09:55:00 -0500, Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>I don't care much for the settings system, much preferred the old
>control panel, all in all I am not too impressed.

The control panel is still there but it's obviously on its way out, or
will be when MS has modernised all its capabilities.

Re: Win 11

<debaggtalnltadp9h3sor4ibg1ab4lrejq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=370&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#370

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 12:05:44 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 11:05 UTC

On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 10:44:00 -0400, Larc <larc@notmyaddress.com>
wrote:

> Once 11 with
>its stringent requirements is inflicted on the public late this year or early next
>and many users find they will need to buy new hardware to run it, I suspect the
>proverbial stinky substance is going to hit the fan.

But the people who will complain that their hardware is incapable of
running Win 11, because they persist on running vintage kit, will be
in the minority.

Re: Win 11

<8e3bc9f9fb8def308b922edfe0f29722@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=371&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#371

From: phi...@news.novabbs.com (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 11:46:01 +0000
 by: philo - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 11:46 UTC

Just out of curiosity I did try to install Win11 on a few machines that were below spec. There is a registry hack that was published which involved opening a command prompt during the installation.
Suffice it to say, it did not work.

That said, no one would accept the poor performance of a below spec machine.
The machine I'm testing Win11 is not on the lower end of acceptability, it's performance was poor until I cloned my sysyem to an SSD.

Now that I see how well an SSD works, I've just ordered a few for my other machines.

Re: Win 11

<se3ej1$1cm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=372&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#372

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 08:10:10 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 12:10 UTC

Peter Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 09:55:00 -0500, Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca>
> wrote:
>

>> I don't care much for the settings system, much preferred the old
>> control panel, all in all I am not too impressed.
>>

> The control panel is still there but it's obviously on its way out, or
> will be when MS has modernised all its capabilities.

Aren't you impressed, that after *six* years, the Control Panel
interfaces haven't all been moved to Settings ?

Paul

Re: Win 11

<iml3vuFmjtuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=373&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#373

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 09:11:10 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 14:11 UTC

On 2021-07-31 7:10 a.m., Paul wrote:
> Peter Johnson wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 09:55:00 -0500, Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I don't care much for the settings system, much preferred the old
>>> control panel, all in all I am not too impressed.
>>>

>> The control panel is still there but it's obviously on its way out, or
>> will be when MS has modernised all its capabilities.
>
> Aren't you impressed, that after *six* years, the Control Panel
> interfaces haven't all been moved to Settings ?
>
>    Paul

I still keep the control panel on my taskbar and use it when possible,
hope it never disappears completely.

Rene

Re: Win 11

<aspagg5uv2hv18h8s0hnaeipd1o2ccddsl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=374&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#374

From: lar...@notmyaddress.com (Larc)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 11:23:17 -0400
 by: Larc - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 15:23 UTC

On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 12:01:50 +0100, Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:

| The control panel is still there but it's obviously on its way out, or
| will be when MS has modernised all its capabilities.

Microsoft has given this "intention" years of lip service with little action so far.
The best they've done is duplicate some control panel functions in other settings
areas. I expect they will just stop talking about it at some point. You've heard of
vaporware? Microsoft has a history of vaporactions.

Larc

Re: Win 11

<vnqagg908sjagg3rhbgtq0n5032d70vsvm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=375&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#375

From: lar...@notmyaddress.com (Larc)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 11:33:44 -0400
 by: Larc - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 15:33 UTC

On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 09:11:10 -0500, Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:

| On 2021-07-31 7:10 a.m., Paul wrote:
| >
| > Aren't you impressed, that after *six* years, the Control Panel
| > interfaces haven't all been moved to Settings ?
| >
| >    Paul
|

| I still keep the control panel on my taskbar and use it when possible,
| hope it never disappears completely.

I'm old fashioned enough to still keep shortcut icons on my desktop for things I
regularly use. Control Panel is one of the 17. I find it very useful and also hope
it stays around.

Larc

Re: Win 11

<se3r9v$lmv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=376&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#376

From: charlieD...@verEYEzon.net (Charlie)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 11:47:05 -0400
 by: Charlie - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 15:47 UTC

On 7/31/2021 7:46 AM, philo wrote:
> Just out of curiosity I did try to install Win11 on a few machines that
> were below spec. There is a registry hack that was published which
> involved opening a command prompt during the installation.
> Suffice it to say, it did not work.

You don't need a registry hack.
All you need is to swap the install.wim (or install.esd) file on the
Windows 11 iso image to the latest Windows 10 iso and then clean install
with the Windows 10 image.

If the two images don't have the same extension then you have to convert
the Windows 11 file to whatever is used on the Windows 10 image.

I did this on an 13 year old Thinkpad T400 with dual core Centrino
processor which is supposedly not supported. No UEFI, no secure boot,
and no TPM chip as well. It has been running for a couple of weeks now.
All drivers are working. The only problem I've had is the widgets
(whatever they are) do not show up. This seems to be a problem even
with some compatible machines.

> That said, no one would accept the poor performance of a below spec
> machine.

It actually has pretty good performance. Very usable. I have seen much
newer machines that are slower. I do have an SSD in it.

> The machine I'm testing Win11 is not on the lower end of acceptability,
> it's performance was poor until I cloned my sysyem to an SSD.
>
> Now that I see how well an SSD works, I've just ordered a few for my
> other machines.

Yeah, they make a big difference.

Charlie

Re: Win 11

<6sofggpfreilht5clh324ad4k244ok130a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=377&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#377

From: lar...@notmyaddress.com (Larc)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2021 08:45:39 -0400
 by: Larc - Mon, 2 Aug 2021 12:45 UTC

On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 11:47:05 -0400, Charlie <charlieDOTd@verEYEzon.net> wrote:

| > Now that I see how well an SSD works, I've just ordered a few for my
| > other machines.
|
| Yeah, they make a big difference.

And if your motherboard can accommodate an NVMe SSD (M.2 connection via PCI Express
rather than SATA), even better.

Larc

Re: Win 11

<se95op$d0i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=378&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#378

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 09:16:24 -0700
 by: Bob F - Mon, 2 Aug 2021 16:16 UTC

On 8/2/2021 5:45 AM, Larc wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 11:47:05 -0400, Charlie <charlieDOTd@verEYEzon.net> wrote:
>
> | > Now that I see how well an SSD works, I've just ordered a few for my
> | > other machines.
> |
> | Yeah, they make a big difference.
>
> And if your motherboard can accommodate an NVMe SSD (M.2 connection via PCI Express
> rather than SATA), even better.
>
> Larc

Amazingly better.

Re: Win 11

<0cb46d113bcb194f568a32244a8b3136@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=379&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#379

From: phi...@news.novabbs.com (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 22:03:56 +0000
 by: philo - Mon, 2 Aug 2021 22:03 UTC

Will be sure my next mobo can accommodate M.2

Thanks