From: dieterha...@gmail.com (db)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Moving files
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 11:26:03 +0100
 by: db - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 10:26 UTC

I have a lot of files on my phone, in Dropbox. I want to put some
of them into a different folder, before I reduce Dropbox to a
much smaller size.
Android is related to Linux, where I can move files by renaming
them, the mv command. Can I do that under Android? Or do I have
to copy them into the new folder and erase them in Dropbox?
--
Dieter Britz

Re: Moving files

<tt5csu$1i1sn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37873&group=comp.mobile.android#37873

From: mq8xcz...@mozmail.com (Leviticoh)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Moving files
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 16:38:06 +0100
 by: Leviticoh - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 15:38 UTC

Il 22/02/23 11:26, db ha scritto:
> I have a lot of files on my phone, in Dropbox. I want to put some
> of them into a different folder, before I reduce Dropbox to a
> much smaller size.
> Android is related to Linux, where I can move files by renaming
> them, the mv command. Can I do that under Android? Or do I have
> to copy them into the new folder and erase them in Dropbox?
i don't use dropbox on android, but on desktop linux using mv from a
remote directory to a local one actually just copies the file and
removes the old copy, so i think the best way would be copying the files
into the new folder and removing them from dropbox once it's finished

Re: Moving files

<bhicvh1d0l1ke8mk2iflqqo40952hnm8f0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37875&group=comp.mobile.android#37875

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 10:00:31 -0700
 by: KenW - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 17:00 UTC

On Wed, 22 Feb 2023 16:38:06 +0100, Leviticoh <mq8xczjpu@mozmail.com>
wrote:

>Il 22/02/23 11:26, db ha scritto:
>> I have a lot of files on my phone, in Dropbox. I want to put some
>> of them into a different folder, before I reduce Dropbox to a
>> much smaller size.
>> Android is related to Linux, where I can move files by renaming
>> them, the mv command. Can I do that under Android? Or do I have
>> to copy them into the new folder and erase them in Dropbox?
>i don't use dropbox on android, but on desktop linux using mv from a
>remote directory to a local one actually just copies the file and
>removes the old copy, so i think the best way would be copying the files
>into the new folder and removing them from dropbox once it's finished

Re: Moving files

<tt7brd$1r50n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37894&group=comp.mobile.android#37894

From: dieterha...@gmail.com (db)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 10:32:29 +0100
 by: db - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 09:32 UTC

On 22.02.2023 16.38, Leviticoh wrote:
> Il 22/02/23 11:26, db ha scritto:
>> I have a lot of files on my phone, in Dropbox. I want to put some
>> of them into a different folder, before I reduce Dropbox to a
>> much smaller size.
>> Android is related to Linux, where I can move files by renaming
>> them, the mv command. Can I do that under Android? Or do I have
>> to copy them into the new folder and erase them in Dropbox?
> i don't use dropbox on android, but on desktop linux using mv from a
> remote directory to a local one actually just copies the file and
> removes the old copy, so i think the best way would be copying the files
> into the new folder and removing them from dropbox once it's finished

Yes, but is there an equivalent for mv on Android? So far I have
only seen a copy command, which I want to avoid because it's a
very big folder.

--
Dieter Britz

Re: Moving files

<td0kcjxc2h.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37895&group=comp.mobile.android#37895

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 12:48:45 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 11:48 UTC

On 2023-02-23 10:32, db wrote:
> On 22.02.2023 16.38, Leviticoh wrote:
>> Il 22/02/23 11:26, db ha scritto:
>>> I have a lot of files on my phone, in Dropbox. I want to put some
>>> of them into a different folder, before I reduce Dropbox to a
>>> much smaller size.
>>> Android is related to Linux, where I can move files by renaming
>>> them, the mv command. Can I do that under Android? Or do I have
>>> to copy them into the new folder and erase them in Dropbox?
>> i don't use dropbox on android, but on desktop linux using mv from a
>> remote directory to a local one actually just copies the file and
>> removes the old copy, so i think the best way would be copying the
>> files into the new folder and removing them from dropbox once it's
>> finished
>
> Yes, but is there an equivalent for mv on Android? So far I have
> only seen a copy command, which I want to avoid because it's a
> very big folder.

On Android, you do not have access to the shell, so no "mv". You have to
use whatever features the existing apps expose.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Moving files

<tt8nkq$34nrd$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37919&group=comp.mobile.android#37919

From: not...@here.com (doseas)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 13:59:54 -0800
 by: doseas - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 21:59 UTC

On 2/23/2023 3:48 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> On Android, you do not have access to the shell, so no "mv". You have to
> use whatever features the existing apps expose.

Install "Terminal Emulator for Android"
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm ) and
you get shell access as a non-priv user.

If your phone is rooted, you can additionally install one of the many SU
apps to become root.

-David

Re: Moving files

<tt8s3j$3573a$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37923&group=comp.mobile.android#37923

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 23:16:17 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 23:16 UTC

doseas wrote:

>> On Android, you do not have access to the shell, so no "mv". You have to
>> use whatever features the existing apps expose.
>>

> Install "Terminal Emulator for Android"
> (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm ) and
> you get shell access as a non-priv user.
>
> If your phone is rooted, you can additionally install one of the many SU
> apps to become root.

I'm not sure why Carlos said there's no access to the shell, so I'm glad
Daivid said Termux works fine, which we've covered on this ng many times.

However, I'm not sure his is the "right" Termux to use. Probably this.
*Termux* by Fredrik Fornwall
free, adfree, gsffree, 4.1star, 157K reviews, 10M+Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.termux>

There's also adb, which works well from the PC, and even a LocalADB, which
works on Android alone, all by its itty bitty self as shown in this shot.
<https://i.postimg.cc/7YLhtcZL/adb32.jpg> ladb eliminates the PC

In addition, we've covered many times on this newsgroup Linux works on
Android where you can choose almost any Linux distro your heart desires.
<https://andronix.app/>

Probably plenty of other solutions too such as using servers such as
WebDAV, FTP, SMB, and Kies, KDBdesktop, NitroShare, etc., all of which
(and plenty more) I've tested and reported upon in this very newsgroup.
<http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>

Some of those turn an unrooted person into a read-only privileged user.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to explain the myriad ways to use a move command.