From: dan1es...@gmail.com (Dan Espen)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: The very long harddisk indicator light flashing time after the system has been started.
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 09:21:20 -0400
 by: Dan Espen - Tue, 18 May 2021 13:21 UTC

"hongy...@gmail.com" <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

> On Ubuntu 20.04, each time when I start the machine and enter the
> system, I find that the hard disk indicator light will be flashing for
> a very long time. As a result, during this period, the data IO
> performance is very poor.
>
> Any hints for debugging/fixing this problem?

It's probably mandb updating the man page index.

--
Dan Espen

Re: The very long harddisk indicator light flashing time after the system has been started.

<op.03lc4nlda3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=3797&group=comp.unix.shell#3797

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: The very long harddisk indicator light flashing time after the
system has been started.
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 09:59:01 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Tue, 18 May 2021 13:59 UTC

On Tue, 18 May 2021 09:21:20 -0400, Dan Espen <dan1espen@gmail.com> wrote:

> "hongy...@gmail.com" <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Ubuntu 20.04, each time when I start the machine and enter the
>> system, I find that the hard disk indicator light will be flashing for
>> a very long time. As a result, during this period, the data IO
>> performance is very poor.
>>
>> Any hints for debugging/fixing this problem?
>
> It's probably mandb updating the man page index.

Or akonadi looking for updates as it indexes everything in /home.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org to davidwhodgins@teksavvy.com for
email replies.

Re: The very long harddisk indicator light flashing time after the system has been started.

<s817f0$l3r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=3799&group=comp.unix.shell#3799

From: dan1es...@gmail.com (Dan Espen)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 16:18:39 -0400
 by: Dan Espen - Tue, 18 May 2021 20:18 UTC

"David W. Hodgins" <dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org> writes:

> On Tue, 18 May 2021 09:21:20 -0400, Dan Espen <dan1espen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "hongy...@gmail.com" <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> On Ubuntu 20.04, each time when I start the machine and enter the
>>> system, I find that the hard disk indicator light will be flashing for
>>> a very long time. As a result, during this period, the data IO
>>> performance is very poor.
>>>
>>> Any hints for debugging/fixing this problem?
>>
>> It's probably mandb updating the man page index.
>
> Or akonadi looking for updates as it indexes everything in /home.

Yes, it could be anything.
I've observed mandb running after a reboot more than once.
Bring up "top" and watch for a while to find the actual culprit(s).

--
Dan Espen

devel / comp.unix.shell / Re: The very long harddisk indicator light flashing time after the system has been started.