Everybody needs a little love sometime; stop hacking and fall in love!

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: FOUND, POSSIBLY SOLVED Re: Voice Recorder app that will stop recording when it's quiet,

SubjectAuthor
* Voice Recorder app that will stop recording when it's quiet,micky
`* Re: Voice Recorder app that will stop recording when it's quiet,Andy Burnelli
 `* Re: Voice Recorder app that will stop recording when it's quiet,micky
  `* Re: Voice Recorder app that will stop recording when it's quiet,Andy Burnelli
   `* FOUND, POSSIBLY SOLVED Re: Voice Recorder app that will stop recording when it'micky
    +* Re: FOUND, POSSIBLY SOLVED Re: Voice Recorder app that will stop recording whenmicky
    |`- Re: FOUND, POSSIBLY SOLVED Re: Voice Recorder app that will stop recording whenmicky
    +* Re: FOUND, POSSIBLY SOLVED Re: Voice Recorder app that will stop recording whenmicky
    |`- Re: FOUND, POSSIBLY SOLVED Re: Voice Recorder app that will stop recording whenAndy Burnelli
    `* Re: FOUND, POSSIBLY SOLVED Re: Voice Recorder app that will stop recording whenAndy Burnelli
     `- Re: FOUND, POSSIBLY SOLVED Re: Voice Recorder app that will stop recording whenmicky

1
Voice Recorder app that will stop recording when it's quiet,

<ompavhhgng351luei73og8d7cd6bf6ecu7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37868&group=comp.mobile.android#37868

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Voice Recorder app that will stop recording when it's quiet,
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 19:57:36 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 00:57 UTC

looking for a Voice Recorder app that will stop recording when it's
silent, or almost silent.

It would be great if I could adjust the level at which it stops
recording.

I red the blurb for Voice Reoorder (the red circle with a large white
microphone outline in it) and I was so happy that it did that, but I
used it and it didn't, and I can't find anything in the settings that
implies that it does. And now I can't find anything in the blurb. How
did I make that mistake?

Then I found Smart Voice Recorder, and what would be the smartest thing
it could do? Just what I want, but it doesn't.

I've looked at 4 others and they don't mention it.

One guy says his wife claimed he snored and he wrote this to find out.
Why did he need this and not the built-in voice reocrder? I thought it
was so he wouldn't have to listen to all the time he wasn't snoring.

Re: Voice Recorder app that will stop recording when it's quiet,

<tt3re2$2fhe1$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37869&group=comp.mobile.android#37869

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 01:34:07 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 01:34 UTC

micky wrote:

> oking for a Voice Recorder app that will stop recording when it's
> silent, or almost silent.

However, to your question, I looked to see what I had installed for audio
recording apps, all of which are free and open source without any ads.

Since I don't generally suggest apps that I don't give the full name to,
and, since the names are generic, I looked up the details for each app.

*Easy Sound Recorder* by Daniel Yehun Kim
FOSS, free, adfree, gsffree, 4.4star, 187 reviews, 10K+Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.danielkim.soundrecorder>

*Simple Voice Recorder* by Simple Mobile Tools
FOSS, free, adfree, gsffree, 4.4star, 3.09K reviews, 500K+Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobiletools.voicerecorder>

*Audio Recorder* by gitlab.com/axet
FOSS, free, adfree, gsffree, 4.2star,3.28K reviews,500K+Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.github.axet.audiorecorder>

*Audio Recorder* by Dmytro.Ponomarenko
FOSS, free, adfree, gsffree, 4.0star,4.04K reviews,500K+Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dimowner.audiorecorder>

Looking at the settings for each of these, I didn't see an option for
skipping silence in the first two but it's there in the third app above.

Mine was turned off by default but I just turned it on, where what I
suggest you do is test it out and let the rest of us know how it works.

BTW, while I've deleted all the default Samsung apps, I see the default
Samsung audio recorder/player has a "skip muted" option you may like.
*Samsung Voice Recorder* by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
free, adfree, gsffree, 3.9 star, 222K reviews, 1B+Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.app.voicenote>
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to help answer the skip silence recording question.

Re: Voice Recorder app that will stop recording when it's quiet,

<ll7bvh9ncs3ruematjd61ffi5ldm7139hp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37870&group=comp.mobile.android#37870

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 00:09:25 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 05:09 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 22 Feb 2023 01:34:07 +0000, Andy
Burnelli <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> oking for a Voice Recorder app that will stop recording when it's
>> silent, or almost silent.
>

>However, to your question, I looked to see what I had installed for audio
>recording apps, all of which are free and open source without any ads.
>
>Since I don't generally suggest apps that I don't give the full name to,
>and, since the names are generic, I looked up the details for each app.

I appreciate that. Thanks.

> *Easy Sound Recorder* by Daniel Yehun Kim
> FOSS, free, adfree, gsffree, 4.4star, 187 reviews, 10K+Downloads
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.danielkim.soundrecorder>
>
> *Simple Voice Recorder* by Simple Mobile Tools
> FOSS, free, adfree, gsffree, 4.4star, 3.09K reviews, 500K+Downloads
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobiletools.voicerecorder>
>
> *Audio Recorder* by gitlab.com/axet
> FOSS, free, adfree, gsffree, 4.2star,3.28K reviews,500K+Downloads
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.github.axet.audiorecorder>

This looked real good. It has a setting called Skip Silence, skip
silence while recording. But in practice it didn't work. I recorded
the radio and saw the graph on the app, then turned off the radio, and
the height of the graph dropped by about half, and except for a blip
every few seconds, it was flat, much flatter than when the radio was on.

Then when I played it back, there was silence for the 10 seconds there
had been silence.

I had turned the option on, tested, turned it off, tested again, then
turned it on again and tested again. Same results if the option was on
or off.

> *Audio Recorder* by Dmytro.Ponomarenko
> FOSS, free, adfree, gsffree, 4.0star,4.04K reviews,500K+Downloads
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dimowner.audiorecorder>
>
>Looking at the settings for each of these, I didn't see an option for
>skipping silence in the first two but it's there in the third app above.
>
>Mine was turned off by default but I just turned it on, where what I
>suggest you do is test it out and let the rest of us know how it works.
>
>BTW, while I've deleted all the default Samsung apps, I see the default
>Samsung audio recorder/player has a "skip muted" option you may like.
> *Samsung Voice Recorder* by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
> free, adfree, gsffree, 3.9 star, 222K reviews, 1B+Downloads
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.app.voicenote>

I looked at this, and not surprisingly, I guess, it wouldn't install it
on my Xiaomi phone, and, not surprisingly, it's already installed on my
older samsung phone.

When you say it has a "skip muted" option, are you looking at the
webpage, play.google, or at the app's settings? Because I don't see it
on the webpage, and I don't see it in the app's settings.

In the app it just has Recording quality, Block calls while recording,
Auto play next recording, and Trash. And it's the current version of
the app.

Nonetheless, I tried it too, and when I turned off the radio, the graph
showed just a line, nothing visible above or below the line, IOW either
zero or at least 1/10th the amplitude when the radio was on, but it kept
recording and it played back the 10 seconds of silence. :-(

It seems to me there should be an accompanying setting for the level of
noise the app should consider to be silence, and none of these or mine
had that.

I have tinnitus, so I always hear a little bit of noise that's not
really there, and there's my beating heart, that makes some noise (no
disrespect, Heart. Keep up the good work.) but if my heartbeats are
enough to keep the recorder recording, it needs that extra setting.

All of them are pretty good as recorders, and each has little things
that make it a little better than the others.

Tnx again.

Re: Voice Recorder app that will stop recording when it's quiet,

<tt4akk$2h3ou$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37871&group=comp.mobile.android#37871

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 05:53:37 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 05:53 UTC

micky wrote:

>>Since I don't generally suggest apps that I don't give the full name to,
>>and, since the names are generic, I looked up the details for each app.
>
> I appreciate that. Thanks.

Most people seem to be on Usenet for their own amusement, where I am here
to learn and help and that's why I give the full app link & descriptions.

>> *Audio Recorder* by gitlab.com/axet
>> FOSS, free, adfree, gsffree, 4.2star,3.28K reviews,500K+Downloads
>> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.github.axet.audiorecorder>
>
> This looked real good. It has a setting called Skip Silence, skip
> silence while recording. But in practice it didn't work. I recorded
> the radio and saw the graph on the app, then turned off the radio, and
> the height of the graph dropped by about half, and except for a blip
> every few seconds, it was flat, much flatter than when the radio was on.
>
> Then when I played it back, there was silence for the 10 seconds there
> had been silence.
>
> I had turned the option on, tested, turned it off, tested again, then
> turned it on again and tested again. Same results if the option was on
> or off.

Bummer. I didn't even know it was there until I looked for you, and I had
it off by default, so I'll see what happens when I test it out later.

Since it's open source, you'd expect someone to fix it if it didn't work.

>> *Samsung Voice Recorder* by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
>> free, adfree, gsffree, 3.9 star, 222K reviews, 1B+Downloads
>> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.app.voicenote>
>
> I looked at this, and not surprisingly, I guess, it wouldn't install it
> on my Xiaomi phone, and, not surprisingly, it's already installed on my
> older samsung phone.
>
> When you say it has a "skip muted" option, are you looking at the
> webpage, play.google, or at the app's settings? Because I don't see it
> on the webpage, and I don't see it in the app's settings.

I was looking at the Google description in the Google Play Store web page
where you have to click on the arrow after "About this app" to see it.

Here's the whole thing, verbatim...

Samsung Voice Recorder
About this app
Samsung Voice Recorder is designed to provide you an easy and wonderful
recording experience with high quality sound, while also offering playback
and editing capabilities.
For your everyday needs, we developed a "Voice Memo" recording mode so that
you can convert your voice to text (Speech to text).

Available recording modes are:

[STANDARD] It provides pleasantly simple recording interface.
[INTERVIEW] Two microphones located on the top and bottom of your device
will be activated to capture you and your interviewer (or interviewee)'s
voices, it also displays dual waveform accordingly.
[VOICE MEMO] Records your voice and then convert it to on-screen text, so
called STT.

Before starting the record, you may configure
* Directory path (If external SD-card is available)

During recording,
* You can reject incoming calls while recording.
* BOOKMARK the points you want to mark.
* Background recording is also supported by simply pressing HOME button.

Once saved, these actions below can be performed:
* Both mini player and full player can be launched from Recordings LIST.
* Built-in sound player supports media controls such as Skip muted, play
speed and Repeat mode.
* Edit: Rename and Delete
* Share your recordings with your friends via Email, Messages, etc.

* Not Support S5, Note4 Android M-OS
* Available recording mode depends on Device Model
* This is Samsung Device's Preloaded Application which is pre-installed
app.

The following permissions are required for the app service. For optional
permissions, the default functionality of the service is turned on, but not
allowed.

Required permissions
* Microphone: Used for recording function
* Storage: Used to save recorded files

Optional permissions
* Nearby devices: Used to get Bluetooth headset information to authorise
the Bluetooth mic recording function
Version
Varies with device
Updated on
Dec 22, 2022
Requires Android
9 and up
Downloads
1,000,000,000+ downloads
Content rating
Everyone Learn more
Permissions
View details
Released on
Mar 24, 2016
Offered by
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Compatibility for your active devices *
You need to login to view the compatible devices
* How this app works on your device
This section shows you whether this app works on your devices. You'll only
see devices that are linked to your Google Account and that have been
active in the last 30 days.
"

FOUND, POSSIBLY SOLVED Re: Voice Recorder app that will stop recording when it's quiet,

<n3anvhds5ddhcdkvkvjddsearmtoqsjdb6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38001&group=comp.mobile.android#38001

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 14:43:34 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 19:43 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 22 Feb 2023 05:53:37 +0000, Andy
Burnelli <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>>>Since I don't generally suggest apps that I don't give the full name to,
>>>and, since the names are generic, I looked up the details for each app.
>>
>> I appreciate that. Thanks.
>
>Most people seem to be on Usenet for their own amusement, where I am here
>to learn and help and that's why I give the full app link & descriptions.
>
>>> *Audio Recorder* by gitlab.com/axet
>>> FOSS, free, adfree, gsffree, 4.2star,3.28K reviews,500K+Downloads
>>> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.github.axet.audiorecorder>
>>
>> This looked real good. It has a setting called Skip Silence, skip
>> silence while recording. But in practice it didn't work. I recorded
>> the radio and saw the graph on the app, then turned off the radio, and
>> the height of the graph dropped by about half, and except for a blip
>> every few seconds, it was flat, much flatter than when the radio was on.
>>
>> Then when I played it back, there was silence for the 10 seconds there
>> had been silence.
>>
>> I had turned the option on, tested, turned it off, tested again, then
>> turned it on again and tested again. Same results if the option was on
>> or off.
>
>Bummer. I didn't even know it was there until I looked for you, and I had
>it off by default, so I'll see what happens when I test it out later.
>
>Since it's open source, you'd expect someone to fix it if it didn't work.
>
>>> *Samsung Voice Recorder* by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
>>> free, adfree, gsffree, 3.9 star, 222K reviews, 1B+Downloads
>>> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.app.voicenote>
>>
>> I looked at this, and not surprisingly, I guess, it wouldn't install it
>> on my Xiaomi phone, and, not surprisingly, it's already installed on my
>> older samsung phone.
>>
>> When you say it has a "skip muted" option, are you looking at the
>> webpage, play.google, or at the app's settings? Because I don't see it
>> on the webpage, and I don't see it in the app's settings.
>
>I was looking at the Google description in the Google Play Store web page
>where you have to click on the arrow after "About this app" to see it.

See footnote****.

Because there was a paragraph for About This App, I didn't click on the
arrow. I hate the new format for google play store.

I wanted this because at doctor's appointments I pay attention but still
don't remember everythign they say. I had an appointment last Wednesday
afternoon and I gave in and let it record the whole time. I knew I'd
have to take off my shirt so I put the phone in my pants pocket, and I
could barely hear myself, and could not make out what the doctor said.

All these apps work well in my shirt pocket, but at Friday's appt. I had
to bend over and I was afraid the phone would fall out, so I left it on
the sofa nearby. Again, couldn't hear what he said.

Two of them have a microphone adjustment. I turned one up most of the
way and will try it again at another appt. The other says not to turn
it about 100% unless you're having a hardware problem. I don't want to
electrocute myself or the doctor, and I'll try it anyhow.

Appointments tend to be 30 minutes and time when one of us is talking is
about 10 minutes. At my age, it is worth listening to 20 minutes of
silence if I have to. But if I can get rid of the silence, it will be
easier to rewind and listen to the whole thing again.

****Aha, I went to the play store again and searched on Voice
activated. I often don't think to use the most straight-forward search
terms. And I found
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myrepairid.varecorder

Auto audio recorder that automatically starts recording when the sound
intensity exceeds the threshold, skipping relative silence, especially
suitable for long-time recording scenes, such as snoring or breathing
during sleep ( snore + apnea, cough etc.), dream / sleep talk recording,
meeting and class recording etc.

Easy to use with the help of automatic threshold settings. Not only can
it skip many hours of --- here it stops!!! But it sounds like what
Iwant.

When I had searched play stor on voice recorder, it didn't show up when
I only looked at ones near the top and now it doesn't show up at all!!
How can that be?

It has 4.4 stars on over 1000 reviews and 100K downloads. How does the
search ignore it?

I installed it and its defaults are Stop after 1s of "silence" and
Threshold 3

So right away its better than the one that claimed to have mute on
silence. The doctor's office had quite a bit of background humming,
from the central heating or one of the many machines they have, and that
earlier one had no way to allow for that. I thought of that before I
even tested the first one.

It says 10s for snoring , 4s+ for talking.
Threshhold can go up to 99.
It says reference: In a quiet place, 3 for talking, 3-8 for snoring,
0 means activation off, use automatic setting if needed.

But in the Help file he suggests silence 10 seconds and threshold 8. It
flashes at the top whether it is listening or recording. What could be
better than that.

Hmmm. I tried it and with my mouth a foot from the phone it works well,
but it makes a separate file for each period of recording. It does have
a merge file function but that is only for "rpemium users" it includes
No adds, merge files, unlimited folders (that I doubt I need), timer,
waveform for .wav files, that I doubt I will use after the first day.
Costs $2. I have to check how much I have left after paying my phone
bill and electric bill, and I have to test it a litte more, but I think
I can swing that it. Actually, I can just wait until it works in a
real-use settting.

6seconds is too much. I think I'll take their suggestion and make it 4s,
no +, but I don't know how to set the threshold in advance. If I make it
too low, I will record everything again, if I make it too high, I'll
record nothing. I've already forgotten what the defalt was. I'm glad I
wrote it down, 3. but "use automatic setting if needed" sounds good. I
hope this all lives up to its great settings.

!!! At the very bottom of the settings it suggests another app, Skipping
Silence Recorder. That also didn't show up in the list of Voice
Recorders. I wonder if someone has a grudge against him.

if I go to myrepairid.com he ALSO has Sleep Recorder, which also has a
threshold, and an acceptable silence duration of 2 to 20 seconds. This
is probably intended for people who want to know if they snore. Maybe
they want more details of how they snore?

At any rate, now there are 3 similar apps by the same guy. Maybe 4
because there is also Skipping Silence Recorder -Shorten Your
Recordings, although that might be the same as the previous one. But
seems to have a different icon. The first has z z Z inside the white
mike in a red circle, the second has a curved arrow. The very first one
in this post had VA.

Too tired to test it right now but I plan to get back to you all later.
If I don't the link and other names are above.

>Here's the whole thing, verbatim...
>
>Samsung Voice Recorder....

Re: FOUND, POSSIBLY SOLVED Re: Voice Recorder app that will stop recording when it's quiet,

<f6envhhgu0lmut8uohn3s87rtpvomf81fr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38002&group=comp.mobile.android#38002

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 15:01:05 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 20:01 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 26 Feb 2023 14:43:34 -0500, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>****Aha, I went to the play store again and searched on Voice
>activated. I often don't think to use the most straight-forward search
>terms. And I found
>https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myrepairid.varecorder

It has even more options I hadn't found before. One is to autoplay the
next recording, so there is a lot less reason to merge files.

Also it has 3 choices for voice activation, Off, manual, and automatic.
I had been describing manual. Automatic seems to set everything and to
erase settings I had before, maybe, and
Manual works even better than I expected with the radio playing. It
sets a partial green circle to represent the threshhold and a partial
red circle to indicat e how much sound there is, so you can watch if the
radio is above or below the threshold. If the doctor's waiting room
were the same as his examining room, that would work well. I'm
probably sticking with Manual.

Also with 3 choices, I'm glad I didn't pay for one before trying the
others, even at 2 dollars. Not much money but it violates my rules.

> [...]
>
>if I go to myrepairid.com he ALSO has Sleep Recorder, which also has a
>threshold, and an acceptable silence duration of 2 to 20 seconds. This
>is probably intended for people who want to know if they snore. Maybe
>they want more details of how they snore?
>

>At any rate, now there are 3 similar apps by the same guy. Maybe 4
>because there is also Skipping Silence Recorder -Shorten Your
>Recordings, although that might be the same as the previous one. But
>seems to have a different icon. The first has z z Z inside the white
>mike in a red circle, the second has a curved arrow. The very first one
>in this post had VA.
>
>Too tired to test it right now but I plan to get back to you all later.
>If I don't the link and other names are above.

Re: FOUND, POSSIBLY SOLVED Re: Voice Recorder app that will stop recording when it's quiet,

<1ifnvh5tprpircpi0jju4prk2r45r7fqb0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38003&group=comp.mobile.android#38003

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 15:22:38 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 20:22 UTC

And I should add that if it had occurred to me, looking for Sleep
Recorders would brings up a lot of apps and I would think all of them
stop recording during the silent parts. For example, Sleep Tracker has
4.8 stars on 61K reviews and 1M+ downloads. it must be pretty good,
though it might have many features I dont' need that complicate the app
too much. Even the author of the other three suggests only using his
sleep recorder for sleep. Still, 4.8 stars is really high for an app
and I'll try it.

Re: FOUND, POSSIBLY SOLVED Re: Voice Recorder app that will stop recording when it's quiet,

<51hnvh1qls5dp69euj8o8ibm7huat1fe09@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38004&group=comp.mobile.android#38004

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 15:46:33 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 20:46 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 26 Feb 2023 14:43:34 -0500, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>****Aha, I went to the play store again and searched on Voice
>activated. I often don't think to use the most straight-forward search
>terms. And I found
>https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myrepairid.varecorder

This one, VA appears to be more recent and better and all the same
settings and more than the second one I wrote about, Skip Silence, by
the same guy.

The sleep program I referred to by someone else is far more related to
sleep problems than I want. The first thing it asked was when I got up
and when I went to sleep. (Do I know?) it wants to put me to sleep with
forest sounds and wake me up in the 30 minutes before I said I woke up.

I will take the word of the author of the first two and not check out
his sleep app.

So that leaves the one above. VARecorder, VA for voice activated.

Re: FOUND, POSSIBLY SOLVED Re: Voice Recorder app that will stop recording when it's quiet,

<tthefa$jmpf$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38017&group=comp.mobile.android#38017

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 05:18:45 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 05:18 UTC

micky wrote:

> Because there was a paragraph for About This App, I didn't click on the
> arrow. I hate the new format for google play store.

Yup. You don't even want to know all the idiotic design "features" I hate
about the Google Play Store web page, but one of them is that stupid arrow
that you have to know what it does to even _think_ about clicking on it.

> I wanted this because at doctor's appointments I pay attention but still
> don't remember everythign they say.

It's a reasonable feature to ask for.
Everyone would want to have an option to skip pregnant pauses.

I thought we had it nailed with that "skip silence" option of that FOSS
GIThub app, but I didn't test it so I'm sorry your tests showed it didn't
work. Bummer...

> ****Aha, I went to the play store again and searched on Voice
> activated. I often don't think to use the most straight-forward search
> terms. And I found
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myrepairid.varecorder

I'll look at it. Right now we're still covered in a foot of snow, and we
have no power, so I'll look at it when I have more Internet time to spare.

> It has 4.4 stars on over 1000 reviews and 100K downloads. How does the
> search ignore it?

Yeah. Google Search for APKs sucks sometimes. I've had times I couldn't
find by the search apps that I _knew_ were there, so I agree with you.

> At any rate, now there are 3 similar apps by the same guy.

I've seen that a lot. Seems to me Google should do something about that.

At some point when we get power back (I'm on a generator but my WISP is
flaky when the power goes out) I'll have more time to take a look at it.

Re: FOUND, POSSIBLY SOLVED Re: Voice Recorder app that will stop recording when it's quiet,

<tthf33$joi9$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38018&group=comp.mobile.android#38018

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 05:29:19 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 05:29 UTC

micky wrote:

> So that leaves the one above. VARecorder, VA for voice activated.

On my last two Samsungs I installed the ported Google Recorder app.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.recorder>

I'm going to look up where I got that port and try to install it again on
my Samsung. It "might" have the option to skip lengthy pauses as it's
designed to record (and transcribe) lectures offline.

Re: FOUND, POSSIBLY SOLVED Re: Voice Recorder app that will stop recording when it's quiet,

<4g4qvhlt5pju9g6u5q3feuv7c4lrni1hk5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38026&group=comp.mobile.android#38026

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 15:28:14 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 20:28 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 27 Feb 2023 05:18:45 +0000, Andy
Burnelli <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> Because there was a paragraph for About This App, I didn't click on the
>> arrow. I hate the new format for google play store.
>
>Yup. You don't even want to know all the idiotic design "features" I hate
>about the Google Play Store web page, but one of them is that stupid arrow
>that you have to know what it does to even _think_ about clicking on it.
>

>> I wanted this because at doctor's appointments I pay attention but still
>> don't remember everythign they say.
>
>It's a reasonable feature to ask for.
>Everyone would want to have an option to skip pregnant pauses.
>
>I thought we had it nailed with that "skip silence" option of that FOSS
>GIThub app, but I didn't test it so I'm sorry your tests showed it didn't
>work. Bummer...
>

>> ****Aha, I went to the play store again and searched on Voice
>> activated. I often don't think to use the most straight-forward search
>> terms. And I found
>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myrepairid.varecorder
>
>I'll look at it. Right now we're still covered in a foot of snow, and we
>have no power, so I'll look at it when I have more Internet time to spare.
>
>> It has 4.4 stars on over 1000 reviews and 100K downloads. How does the
>> search ignore it?
>
>Yeah. Google Search for APKs sucks sometimes. I've had times I couldn't
>find by the search apps that I _knew_ were there, so I agree with you.

I wrote the author last night:

Hi,

Did you know that when I looked in the Play Store for "Voice Recorder",
none of your three apps showed up?

Not Voice-Activated, or Skipping Silence or Sleep-something. And when
I looked for sleep monitors, your sleep app didn't show up there either.

Why do you think that is? Does someone have a grudge against you?
Are you part of the Medillin Cartel so you're being boycottted?

I only found them by searching on the words "voice activated" which
found the VA and the text there led to the other two.

Once I found them in the Play Store, they had high ratings and many
users and were easy enough to install. So why are they hard to find?

I thought you'd want to know.

Micky

No answer yet.