"Only the hypocrite is really rotten to the core." -- Hannah Arendt.

computers / comp.mobile.android / BT automatic connection.

SubjectAuthor
* BT automatic connection.Carlos E.R.
+- Re: BT automatic connection.nospam
`* Re: BT automatic connection.VanguardLH
 `* Re: BT automatic connection.Carlos E.R.
  +- Re: BT automatic connection.sticks
  +- Re: BT automatic connection.micky
  +- Re: BT automatic connection.micky
  `* Re: BT automatic connection.VanguardLH
   `* Re: BT automatic connection.Carlos E.R.
    `- Re: BT automatic connection.nospam

1
BT automatic connection.

<8cnvcjx4g5.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38045&group=comp.mobile.android#38045

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: BT automatic connection.
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 23:27:52 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 22:27 UTC

Hi,

Can I do something on a phone so that it never connects automatically to
a certain BT device (earphones)? So that I always have to tap somewhere
to connect? Or that it asks whether to connect or not?

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: BT automatic connection.

<270220231813342914%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38050&group=comp.mobile.android#38050

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: BT automatic connection.
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 18:13:34 -0500
 by: nospam - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 23:13 UTC

In article <8cnvcjx4g5.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> Can I do something on a phone so that it never connects automatically to
> a certain BT device (earphones)? So that I always have to tap somewhere
> to connect? Or that it asks whether to connect or not?

unpair it. you will need to re-pair it when you want to use it. if it's
only one device turn off bluetooth. the device might have the option to
not auto-pair.

Re: BT automatic connection.

<d7sl80nflnyr.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38071&group=comp.mobile.android#38071

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 21:08:01 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 03:08 UTC

"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> Can I do something on a phone so that it never connects automatically to
> a certain BT device (earphones)? So that I always have to tap somewhere
> to connect? Or that it asks whether to connect or not?

Without knowing the brand and model of phone to determine what BT
options it has, you could go to the BT setting to forget the BT device.
The next time you'll have to go through the BT pairing process.

My desktop PC's BT config lets me forget BT devices. My phone (LG V20
with Android 8.0) does not have that option. It might be an option for
whatever is your phone. Your phone might also have the option to
disable BT scanning.

When paired, a cog icon should appear to the right of the device under
the BT settings in Android. Click on the cog. If you disable all
profiles (types of connections), perhaps the BT device won't
auto-connect later. However, I suspect when you choose to pair later
that you'll have to reenable some or all of those profiles.

Some phones, or maybe Android versions, have the option Settings ->
Connected Device -> Connection Preferences. See what's under there.

Re: BT automatic connection.

<rje1djxnup.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38088&group=comp.mobile.android#38088

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 15:10:35 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 14:10 UTC

On 2023-02-28 04:08, VanguardLH wrote:
> "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Can I do something on a phone so that it never connects automatically to
>> a certain BT device (earphones)? So that I always have to tap somewhere
>> to connect? Or that it asks whether to connect or not?
>
> Without knowing the brand and model of phone to determine what BT
> options it has, you could go to the BT setting to forget the BT device.
> The next time you'll have to go through the BT pairing process.

No, I do not want that. I just want what I said: an on/off switch with
permanence. That my phone connects to my headphones only when I ask it
to do so. I do not want to forget the device, that's another nuisance
when I want to connect.

Currently, when I power up the headphones and I don't want to use them
on the phone, but on the tablet, I have to navigate some menu and find
the "switch off" button, which does not persist to the next time.

That's a nuisance.

The phone is a Motorola g52.

> My desktop PC's BT config lets me forget BT devices. My phone (LG V20
> with Android 8.0) does not have that option. It might be an option for
> whatever is your phone. Your phone might also have the option to
> disable BT scanning.
>
> When paired, a cog icon should appear to the right of the device under
> the BT settings in Android. Click on the cog. If you disable all
> profiles (types of connections), perhaps the BT device won't
> auto-connect later. However, I suspect when you choose to pair later
> that you'll have to reenable some or all of those profiles.
>
> Some phones, or maybe Android versions, have the option Settings ->
> Connected Device -> Connection Preferences. See what's under there.

Forget, connect (it is not connected now; when connected it offers to
disconnect). Then it has switches:

Audio HD
Phone calls
multimedia audio
Share contacts

Maybe I could just disable audio and calls, and enable when needed.

Yes, with all switches off, it connects for a moment, then goes off.
If I leave "share contacts" on, it connects initially, then goes off as
well. If I enable them again, it tries but doesn't connect. Seems I have
to power cycle the headphones. If I disable the audio switches while
connected, the headphones says "lost connection".

Ok, this works :-D

Another nuisance: BT earphones usually use a button to answer a call or
hang it. Sometimes they can start a phone call: this happened to me when
trying to play an audio. The daft thing called some random entry in my
phone list, someone who did not appreciate being called at a strange
hour. Not a friend, but a business contact. I had to explain. I am not
sure she understood.

I'd like to remove that functionality: have phone audio, but not
making/stopping/answering calls. Do that only on the phone, not the
earphone.

Maybe disable "share contacts" will help.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: BT automatic connection.

<ttl3d3$3kf0d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38093&group=comp.mobile.android#38093

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 08:34:12 -0600
 by: sticks - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 14:34 UTC

On 2/28/2023 8:10 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-02-28 04:08, VanguardLH wrote:
>> "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Can I do something on a phone so that it never connects automatically to
>>> a certain BT device (earphones)? So that I always have to tap somewhere
>>> to connect? Or that it asks whether to connect or not?
>>
>> Without knowing the brand and model of phone to determine what BT
>> options it has, you could go to the BT setting to forget the BT device.
>> The next time you'll have to go through the BT pairing process.
>
> No, I do not want that. I just want what I said: an on/off switch with
> permanence. That my phone connects to my headphones only when I ask it
> to do so. I do not want to forget the device, that's another nuisance
> when I want to connect.
>
> Currently, when I power up the headphones and I don't want to use them
> on the phone, but on the tablet, I have to navigate some menu and find
> the "switch off" button, which does not persist to the next time.
>
> That's a nuisance.
>
> The phone is a Motorola g52.

I have heard android now has a "shortcut" app like apple uses. I use
one to turn javascript on and off. It's an icon on my first screen that
takes me to the exact place I can toggle the setting on and off. Sounds
like something you could easily do before turning on the headset if you
didn't want to connect to it.

>> My desktop PC's BT config lets me forget BT devices.  My phone (LG V20
>> with Android 8.0) does not have that option.  It might be an option for
>> whatever is your phone.  Your phone might also have the option to
>> disable BT scanning.
>>
>> When paired, a cog icon should appear to the right of the device under
>> the BT settings in Android.  Click on the cog.  If you disable all
>> profiles (types of connections), perhaps the BT device won't
>> auto-connect later.  However, I suspect when you choose to pair later
>> that you'll have to reenable some or all of those profiles.
>>
>> Some phones, or maybe Android versions, have the option Settings ->
>> Connected Device -> Connection Preferences.  See what's under there.
>
> Forget, connect (it is not connected now; when connected it offers to
> disconnect). Then it has switches:
>
>  Audio HD
>  Phone calls
>  multimedia audio
>  Share contacts
>

> Maybe I could just disable audio and calls, and enable when needed.
>
> Yes, with all switches off, it connects for a moment, then goes off.
> If I leave "share contacts" on, it connects initially, then goes off as
> well. If I enable them again, it tries but doesn't connect. Seems I have
> to power cycle the headphones. If I disable the audio switches while
> connected, the headphones says "lost connection".
>
> Ok, this works :-D
>

> Another nuisance: BT earphones usually use a button to answer a call or
> hang it. Sometimes they can start a phone call: this happened to me when
> trying to play an audio. The daft thing called some random entry in my
> phone list, someone who did not appreciate being called at a strange
> hour. Not a friend, but a business contact. I had to explain. I am not
> sure she understood.

My phone does this, but only for calls on my recent caller list. It
calls the last one. I've done this at the gym several times if I don't
remember to erase all my recent calls

> I'd like to remove that functionality: have phone audio, but not
> making/stopping/answering calls. Do that only on the phone, not the
> earphone.
>
> Maybe disable "share contacts" will help.

Re: BT automatic connection.

<8bjsvhlhraubjg2bfhqlp8gcqqbedd4fnt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38105&group=comp.mobile.android#38105

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 13:53:29 -0500
 by: micky - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 18:53 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 28 Feb 2023 15:10:35 +0100, "Carlos
E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>On 2023-02-28 04:08, VanguardLH wrote:
>> "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Can I do something on a phone so that it never connects automatically to
>>> a certain BT device (earphones)? So that I always have to tap somewhere
>>> to connect? Or that it asks whether to connect or not?
>>
>> Without knowing the brand and model of phone to determine what BT
>> options it has, you could go to the BT setting to forget the BT device.
>> The next time you'll have to go through the BT pairing process.
>
>No, I do not want that. I just want what I said: an on/off switch with
>permanence. That my phone connects to my headphones only when I ask it
>to do so. I do not want to forget the device, that's another nuisance
>when I want to connect.
>
>Currently, when I power up the headphones and I don't want to use them
>on the phone, but on the tablet, I have to navigate some menu and find
>the "switch off" button, which does not persist to the next time.
>
>That's a nuisance.
>
>The phone is a Motorola g52.

Search the app store if you can figure out good search words.

stop bluetooth connect

Re: BT automatic connection.

<vdjsvhpg48db3m3692jtof535q2eq6oor2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38106&group=comp.mobile.android#38106

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 13:54:22 -0500
 by: micky - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 18:54 UTC

Bluetooth control
Bluetooth manage

Re: BT automatic connection.

<1s126u10ey966.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38118&group=comp.mobile.android#38118

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 15:30:56 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 21:30 UTC

"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> The phone is a Motorola g52.

From the manual for the Motorola g52 at:

https://motorola-global-en-roe.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/165125/~/moto-g52--%C2%A0user-guide-%28html%29

under the "Connect with Bluetooth" section:

Turn off Bluetooth scanning

When Bluetooth is off, your phone can still scan and automatically
connect to a previously paired device. To prevent this, turn off
Bluetooth scanning.

To turn off scanning:

1. Go to Settings > Location.
2. Touch Location services.
3. Turn Bluetooth scanning off .

If you turn this off, apps that use your location won't work as well.

It's the scanning that finds your BT device to automatically pair with
it (if paired before). Disabling scanning was one of the suggestions I
saw about stopping BT devices from automatically pairing to your phone.

Re: BT automatic connection.

<25k2djxejr.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38136&group=comp.mobile.android#38136

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 01:51:14 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 00:51 UTC

On 2023-02-28 22:30, VanguardLH wrote:
> "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>
>> The phone is a Motorola g52.
>
> From the manual for the Motorola g52 at:
>
> https://motorola-global-en-roe.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/165125/~/moto-g52--%C2%A0user-guide-%28html%29
>
> under the "Connect with Bluetooth" section:
>
> Turn off Bluetooth scanning
>
> When Bluetooth is off, your phone can still scan and automatically
> connect to a previously paired device. To prevent this, turn off
> Bluetooth scanning.
>
> To turn off scanning:
>
> 1. Go to Settings > Location.
> 2. Touch Location services.
> 3. Turn Bluetooth scanning off .
>
> If you turn this off, apps that use your location won't work as well.
>
> It's the scanning that finds your BT device to automatically pair with
> it (if paired before). Disabling scanning was one of the suggestions I
> saw about stopping BT devices from automatically pairing to your phone.

This would avoid this headphone to connect, but would also stop any
other BT from connecting. I only want to stop this headphone.

The switches under connection preferences for the headphone connection
works. It is not a single switch, but 3 or 4, but ok, it works.

Later I will check micky suggerence.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: BT automatic connection.

<280220232019360532%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38137&group=comp.mobile.android#38137

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 20:19:36 -0500
 by: nospam - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 01:19 UTC

In article <25k2djxejr.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> > It's the scanning that finds your BT device to automatically pair with
> > it (if paired before). Disabling scanning was one of the suggestions I
> > saw about stopping BT devices from automatically pairing to your phone.
>
> This would avoid this headphone to connect, but would also stop any
> other BT from connecting. I only want to stop this headphone.

un-pair the headphones.