From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Advice as to where to download & install the correct Android TERMUX APK
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 20:07:27 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 20:07 UTC

From *Malware?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/rQJWvKDPVt0/m/L9mjUGooAAAJ>

Andy Burns wrote:

>> How do I get hold of the Termux app itself?
>
> I don't use it, but why would you download from somewhere other than
> <https://packages.termux.dev>

Hi Andy,
Thanks for that suggestion as I too was unaware of where the "official"
termux resided until you listed _that_ open source archive for Termux.
<https://packages.termux.dev>

Until I went there, in fact, I was unaware of this Termux security warning:
"Security warning: APK files on GitHub are signed with a test key
that has been shared with community. This IS NOT an official
developer key and everyone can use it to generate releases for
own testing. Be very careful when using Termux GitHub builds
obtained elsewhere except https://github.com/termux/termux-app.
Everyone is able to use it to forge a malicious Termux update
installable over the GitHub build. Think twice about installing
Termux builds distributed via Telegram or other social media.
If your device get caught by malware, we will not be able to help you."
<https://github.com/termux/termux-app#github>

For the record, your link provides the preferred Github link:
Home page: https://termux.dev (<https://termux.dev/en/>)
Github: https://github.com/termux

Which says "Get it on Github":
<https://github.com/termux>
<https://github.com/termux/termux-app#github>

And "Get it on F-Droid"
<https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.termux/>
<https://f-droid.org/repo/com.termux_118.apk>

But not, interestingly so, on Google Play Store!
<https://github.com/termux/termux-app#github>
"Termux and its plugins are no longer updated on Google Play Store
due to android 10 issues and have been deprecated. The last version
released for Android >= 7 was v0.101. It is highly recommended
to not install Termux apps from Play Store any more."

I always have trouble with Github finding the actual APK so it's here for
others to benefit from without having to click around trying to find it.
<https://github.com/termux/termux-app/releases>
<https://github.com/termux/termux-app/releases/tag/v0.118.0>
For example, for arm64 (I'm not sure why it says "debug" in it though)
<https://github.com/termux/termux-app/releases/download/v0.118.0/termux-app_v0.118.0+github-debug_arm64-v8a.apk>

BTW, the F-Droid note says it's more "universal" since it says
"F-Droid does not support architecture specific APKs."
<https://github.com/termux/termux-app#github>

It seems the F-Droid one is more universal from that, but I always have
"issues" updating existing installed F-Droid apps due to some "signing"
problem I don't understand.

Now, as for the termux that is already on my system, I need to look in my
APK manager to figure out _how_ I had installed it in the first place.

Thanks for letting us know that the Google Play Store termux is not the one
we want (there are many there, besides, as it's open source code anyone can
copy it).

My main request for advice is which of the two bona-fide termux download
links would you suggest? The Github architecture-specific or F-Droid
universal?

And how would you suggest auto-updates be set up if that's what folks want?
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to discuss the peculiarities of the Termux APK.