From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: What Slot is my Memory in?
Date: 29 Aug 2023 13:47:37 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 13:47 UTC

Having put the Z620 back together I checked that the memory was in the
tight places, it's dual Xeon with 12 memory slots and, of course, works in
pairs.

I used the sheet from HP to ID the slots and then tried to use CPUz, SIW,
Speccy * Task Manager to check, they all come up with different answers!

Incidentally none of the methods I tried nor the HP sheet seem to think
Bargain Hardware's use of the slots was right!

I have asked on the HP forum but does anybody know a definitive way to
tell which slots I am using?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
640k ought to be enough for anyone.

Re: What Slot is my Memory in?

<kl6flbFjhbhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3829&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3829

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: What Slot is my Memory in?
Date: 29 Aug 2023 15:03:07 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 15:03 UTC

On 29 Aug 2023 at 14:47:37 BST, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgnewsid@outlook.com>
wrote:

> Having put the Z620 back together I checked that the memory was in the
> tight places, it's dual Xeon with 12 memory slots and, of course, works in
> pairs.
>
> I used the sheet from HP to ID the slots and then tried to use CPUz, SIW,
> Speccy * Task Manager to check, they all come up with different answers!
>
> Incidentally none of the methods I tried nor the HP sheet seem to think
> Bargain Hardware's use of the slots was right!
>
> I have asked on the HP forum but does anybody know a definitive way to
> tell which slots I am using?

Fill them all up?

HPs I've worked with have (like Dells) a sticker on the inside of the
case with slot labelling. Otherwise, just found the actual guide - which
wasn't on the Z620 product support page, but DDG managed to index it. It
has all the labels!

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/downloads/Z620_Memory_Configurations.pdf

Cheers - Jaimie
--
I am always a bit unhappy when I spot a bit of text that
made perfect sense in my brain but on passing through

Re: What Slot is my Memory in?

<xn0o677xiqijpny01a@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3830&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3830

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 30 Aug 2023 08:15:13 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 08:15 UTC

On 29/08/2023 in message <kl6flbFjhbhU1@mid.individual.net> Jaimie
Vandenbergh wrote:

>>I have asked on the HP forum but does anybody know a definitive way to
>>tell which slots I am using?
>
>Fill them all up?
>
>HPs I've worked with have (like Dells) a sticker on the inside of the
>case with slot labelling. Otherwise, just found the actual guide - which
>wasn't on the Z620 product support page, but DDG managed to index it. It
>has all the labels!
>
>http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/downloads/Z620_Memory_Configurations.pdf
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

Many thanks Jaimie :-)

The area where the sticker was is just a few strips of glue now, I can
print the page from the link you sent me and stick that there.

What confused me was that CPUZ said slots 1, 8, 9 and 12 were in use when
I had religiously followed that guide. However, CPUZ is right, with a
strong enough magnifying glass I can just about make out the DIMM slot IDs
and they are 1, 8, 9 and 12.

I will work on the basis that since I have put them in the order the
instructions say that must be OK, there are no warning messages.

Thanks again!

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
How does a gender neutral bog differ from a unisex bog ?