From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Peter)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: XR11 remote repeatedly loses voice command
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 11:27:58 -0400
 by: Peter - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 15:27 UTC

Looking for a solution to a problem that started about 1 week ago. My
XR11 remote has been reliably paired to a Xi6-A video box and a Samsung
HD TV. About 1 wk ago, no voice commands were recognized/executed. All
other remote functions continue working normally. Batteries at 85%
strength and remote has worked reliably when older batteries were as low
as 20%. Although I've got the Xi6-A configured with "Power Save" ON,
I've always either said "Sleep Now" or navigated the settings menu to
put the box to sleep and then used the remote's TV power button to turn
off the tv.

I re-paired the remote and voice commands once more recognized and
executed. That is, until I put the Xi6 to sleep and turn off the tv.
After turning both back on at a later time, voice commands are no longer
recognized. I've re-paired the remote several times and the results
have always been the same. Voice commands work fine until after a
single box-to-sleep/tv off and box and tv on cycle at which time voice
commands no longer work.

Can't find anything on the web for this specific issue. Any
suggestions. (No, I don't want to use one of the new, XR15 remotes with
the infinitesimal ABCD buttons, unlabeled small area "OK" button, and
too small arrow keys that are too close to the "OK" button.)

Re: XR11 remote repeatedly loses voice command

<tctpmp$1di6m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=379&group=alt.online-service.comcast#379

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: Re: XR11 remote repeatedly loses voice command
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 10:07:20 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 14:07 UTC

On 8/8/22 11:27, this is what Peter wrote:
> Looking for a solution to a problem that started about 1 week ago.  My XR11 remote has been reliably paired to a Xi6-A
> video box and a Samsung HD TV.  About 1 wk ago, no voice commands were recognized/executed.  All other remote functions
> continue working normally. Batteries at 85% strength and remote has worked reliably when older batteries were as low as
> 20%.  Although I've got the Xi6-A configured with "Power Save" ON, I've always either said "Sleep Now" or navigated the
> settings menu to put the box to sleep and then used the remote's TV power button to turn off the tv.
>
> I re-paired the remote and voice commands once more recognized and executed.  That is, until I put the Xi6 to sleep and
> turn off the tv. After turning both back on at a later time, voice commands are no longer recognized.  I've re-paired
> the remote several times and the results have always been the same.  Voice commands work fine until after a single
> box-to-sleep/tv off and box and tv on cycle at which time voice commands no longer work.
>
> Can't find anything on the web for this specific issue.  Any suggestions.  (No, I don't want to use one of the new, XR15
> remotes with the infinitesimal ABCD buttons, unlabeled small area "OK" button, and too small arrow keys that are too
> close to the "OK" button.)

I have repeated issues where I hit the talk button (call it what you want), and get a oh-oh beep on the remote meaning
it didn't work. ...wait a few seconds and do it again, same .... 5 move seconds and now I get the positive beeps on
the remote and the box is listening well.

This doesn't sound like your issue but mine is persistently random (if you can understand that phrase).

Al

Re: XR11 remote repeatedly loses voice command

<100820221825390572%roy@roy.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=382&group=alt.online-service.comcast#382

From: roy...@roy.com (Bizarro Roy)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 18:25:39 -0400
 by: Bizarro Roy - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 22:25 UTC

In article <tctpmp$1di6m$1@dont-email.me>, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com>
wrote:

> On 8/8/22 11:27, this is what Peter wrote:
> > Looking for a solution to a problem that started about 1 week ago.  My XR11
> > remote has been reliably paired to a Xi6-A
> > video box and a Samsung HD TV.  About 1 wk ago, no voice commands were
> > recognized/executed.  All other remote functions
> > continue working normally. Batteries at 85% strength and remote has worked
> > reliably when older batteries were as low as
> > 20%.  Although I've got the Xi6-A configured with "Power Save" ON, I've
> > always either said "Sleep Now" or navigated the
> > settings menu to put the box to sleep and then used the remote's TV power
> > button to turn off the tv.
> >
> > I re-paired the remote and voice commands once more recognized and
> > executed.  That is, until I put the Xi6 to sleep and
> > turn off the tv. After turning both back on at a later time, voice commands
> > are no longer recognized.  I've re-paired
> > the remote several times and the results have always been the same.  Voice
> > commands work fine until after a single
> > box-to-sleep/tv off and box and tv on cycle at which time voice commands no
> > longer work.
> >
> > Can't find anything on the web for this specific issue.  Any suggestions.
> > (No, I don't want to use one of the new, XR15
> > remotes with the infinitesimal ABCD buttons, unlabeled small area "OK"
> > button, and too small arrow keys that are too
> > close to the "OK" button.)
> >
> I have repeated issues where I hit the talk button (call it what you
> want), and get a oh-oh beep on the remote meaning it didn't work.
> ...wait a few seconds and do it again, same .... 5 move seconds and
> now I get the positive beeps on the remote and the box is listening
> well.
>
> This doesn't sound like your issue but mine is persistently random
> (if you can understand that phrase).
>
> Al

Possibly a stupid question, but have you tried cleaning the transmitter
and receiver surfaces? A very light spritz of window cleaner on a
paper towel ought to do the job. Don't wipe with a dry paper towel, as
you might scratch the surfaces a tiny bit.

Re: XR11 remote repeatedly loses voice command

<td33rb$8hl$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=383&group=alt.online-service.comcast#383

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Peter)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 10:31:07 -0400
 by: Peter - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 14:31 UTC

On 8/10/2022 6:25 PM, Bizarro Roy wrote:
> In article <tctpmp$1di6m$1@dont-email.me>, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/8/22 11:27, this is what Peter wrote:
>>> Looking for a solution to a problem that started about 1 week ago.  My XR11
>>> remote has been reliably paired to a Xi6-A
>>> video box and a Samsung HD TV.  About 1 wk ago, no voice commands were
>>> recognized/executed.  All other remote functions
>>> continue working normally. Batteries at 85% strength and remote has worked
>>> reliably when older batteries were as low as
>>> 20%.  Although I've got the Xi6-A configured with "Power Save" ON, I've
>>> always either said "Sleep Now" or navigated the
>>> settings menu to put the box to sleep and then used the remote's TV power
>>> button to turn off the tv.
>>>
>>> I re-paired the remote and voice commands once more recognized and
>>> executed.  That is, until I put the Xi6 to sleep and
>>> turn off the tv. After turning both back on at a later time, voice commands
>>> are no longer recognized.  I've re-paired
>>> the remote several times and the results have always been the same.  Voice
>>> commands work fine until after a single
>>> box-to-sleep/tv off and box and tv on cycle at which time voice commands no
>>> longer work.
>>>
>>> Can't find anything on the web for this specific issue.  Any suggestions.
>>> (No, I don't want to use one of the new, XR15
>>> remotes with the infinitesimal ABCD buttons, unlabeled small area "OK"
>>> button, and too small arrow keys that are too
>>> close to the "OK" button.)
>>>
>> I have repeated issues where I hit the talk button (call it what you
>> want), and get a oh-oh beep on the remote meaning it didn't work.
>> ...wait a few seconds and do it again, same .... 5 move seconds and
>> now I get the positive beeps on the remote and the box is listening
>> well.
>>
>> This doesn't sound like your issue but mine is persistently random
>> (if you can understand that phrase).
>>
>> Al
>

> Possibly a stupid question, but have you tried cleaning the transmitter
> and receiver surfaces? A very light spritz of window cleaner on a
> paper towel ought to do the job. Don't wipe with a dry paper towel, as
> you might scratch the surfaces a tiny bit.
Thanks for the suggestion. However, the current Comcast Xfinity boxes
and remotes communicate by RF at 315 MHz in the U.S., not by infra-red.
There is no "sensor" on any surface of the box (except for some sort of
antenna inside). The function of the infra-red window on the front of
the remote is to communicate with peripheral devices, e.g. TV, home
theater receiver, DVD, etc. that you may choose to pair with the remote.
I just proved this to myself by fully obstructing the infra-red window
by pressing the remote firmly against my shirt and turning my back on
the box. All key press commands for the box worked just fine but I
couldn't turn the TV off unless I provided an unobstructed line of sight
path between the front of the remote and the sensor on my TV.