From: spa...@spam.com (Mike Perkins)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Subject: Re: Are there any ST 32F417 / Cube IDE / STLINK / C developers on
here?
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 15:52:03 +0100
 by: Mike Perkins - Wed, 28 Apr 2021 14:52 UTC

On 22/04/2021 07:22, John-Smith wrote:
> I am working on a project and need a bit of help here and there.
>
> I am working on it with someone who knows a lot more than I do but he
> is available only 1 day a week, so instead of posting questions on
> various forums (mostly never answered) I am considering looking for
> someone who can work on a retainer of X per year or something like
> that and would be able to provide support.
>
> It ranges from CPU specific stuff like how to set up one of the DACs
> to generate a sinewave from precomputed values in RAM (yes lots of
> examples on the web; mostly not usable except for hints) to C
> questions. I have written a fair bit of C but use it as a "basic"
> language, avoiding pointers and using arrays instead :) etc. And right
> now I am trying to sort out STLINK V3 and why the GDB log level (shown
> in Console) has mysteriously changed from 31 to 1...

This is near second nature though the ST Cube hal libraries try to be
all things for all men and so have a number of flaws.

Nothing wrong with arrays!

If you still want help please feel free to use the contact form on the
website below.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Re: Are there any ST 32F417 / Cube IDE / STLINK / C developers on here?

<db031994-3d08-4c48-8b79-e9c3e03737a4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=376&group=comp.arch.embedded#376

Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 08:08:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Are there any ST 32F417 / Cube IDE / STLINK / C developers on here?
From: edward.m...@gmail.com (Ed Lee)
 by: Ed Lee - Wed, 28 Apr 2021 15:08 UTC

On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 7:52:07 AM UTC-7, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 22/04/2021 07:22, John-Smith wrote:
> > I am working on a project and need a bit of help here and there.
> >
> > I am working on it with someone who knows a lot more than I do but he
> > is available only 1 day a week, so instead of posting questions on
> > various forums (mostly never answered) I am considering looking for
> > someone who can work on a retainer of X per year or something like
> > that and would be able to provide support.
> >
> > It ranges from CPU specific stuff like how to set up one of the DACs
> > to generate a sinewave from precomputed values in RAM (yes lots of
> > examples on the web; mostly not usable except for hints) to C
> > questions. I have written a fair bit of C but use it as a "basic"
> > language, avoiding pointers and using arrays instead :) etc. And right
> > now I am trying to sort out STLINK V3 and why the GDB log level (shown
> > in Console) has mysteriously changed from 31 to 1...
> This is near second nature though the ST Cube hal libraries try to be
> all things for all men and so have a number of flaws.
>
> Nothing wrong with arrays!

Nothing wrong with pointers either.

ADC1->XXX, USART1->XXX and GPIOA->XXX are all pointers. How can you avoid pointers?

Re: Are there any ST 32F417 / Cube IDE / STLINK / C developers on here?

<7mmiI.31144$b27.10998@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=377&group=comp.arch.embedded#377

Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 19:38:43 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Wed, 28 Apr 2021 23:38 UTC

On 4/28/21 11:08 AM, Ed Lee wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 7:52:07 AM UTC-7, Mike Perkins wrote:
>> On 22/04/2021 07:22, John-Smith wrote:
>>> I am working on a project and need a bit of help here and there.
>>>
>>> I am working on it with someone who knows a lot more than I do but he
>>> is available only 1 day a week, so instead of posting questions on
>>> various forums (mostly never answered) I am considering looking for
>>> someone who can work on a retainer of X per year or something like
>>> that and would be able to provide support.
>>>
>>> It ranges from CPU specific stuff like how to set up one of the DACs
>>> to generate a sinewave from precomputed values in RAM (yes lots of
>>> examples on the web; mostly not usable except for hints) to C
>>> questions. I have written a fair bit of C but use it as a "basic"
>>> language, avoiding pointers and using arrays instead :) etc. And right
>>> now I am trying to sort out STLINK V3 and why the GDB log level (shown
>>> in Console) has mysteriously changed from 31 to 1...
>> This is near second nature though the ST Cube hal libraries try to be
>> all things for all men and so have a number of flaws.
>>
>> Nothing wrong with arrays!
>
> Nothing wrong with pointers either.
>
> ADC1->XXX, USART1->XXX and GPIOA->XXX are all pointers. How can you avoid pointers?

Not only are they pointers, but they are compile time constant value
pointers so the compiler can convert the accesses to direct memory