From: scott+...@pakin.org (Scott Pakin)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: Re: Angstrom vs "Latin capital letter A ring".
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 19:07:52 -0600
 by: Scott Pakin - Thu, 8 Jul 2021 01:07 UTC

On 7/7/21 5:52 PM, hongy...@gmail.com wrote:
> I noticed that the following two code points share the same symbol:
>
> Angstrom: 0x212B
> "Latin capital letter A ring": 0xc5
>
> Why do they still use different code point by design?

I'm not an expert, but I'd assume they do not *have* to render with the
same glyph in every font that implements them. Semantically, the former
is used in phrases like, "the wavelength is 5000Å", while the latter is
used in phrases like, "Anders Jonas Ångström was a Swedish physicist".

-- Scott

Re: Angstrom vs "Latin capital letter A ring".

<iknsp2FrvomU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3830&group=comp.text.tex#3830

From: acorn...@imm.cnrs.fr (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 10:53:54 +0200
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Thu, 8 Jul 2021 08:53 UTC

On 2021-07-08 01:07:52 +0000, Scott Pakin said:

> On 7/7/21 5:52 PM, hongy...@gmail.com wrote:
>> I noticed that the following two code points share the same symbol:
>>
>> Angstrom: 0x212B
>> "Latin capital letter A ring": 0xc5
>>
>> Why do they still use different code point by design?
>
> I'm not an expert, but I'd assume they do not *have* to render with the
> same glyph in every font that implements them. Semantically, the
> former is used in phrases like, "the wavelength is 5000Å", while the
> latter is used in phrases like, "Anders Jonas Ångström was a Swedish
> physicist".

When your post is displayed on my screen they appear very slightly
different: in the first example the ring is exactly over the point of
the A; in the second it is slightly displaced to the right.

--
Athel -- British, living in France for 34 years