From: no_re...@dipl-ing-kessler.de (Markus Robert Kessler)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: tun0 available for VirtualBox client?
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 15:36:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Markus Robert Kessle - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 15:36 UTC

Hi all,

first: reason for asking this here is, that the behaviour of VirtualBox
seems to heavily depend on the target for which this is packaged.

I have to set the parameters of VirtualBox in the way that (vpnc) tun0 is
available for the client OS which is booted from VirtualBox.
Unfortunately, none of the tricks from stackoverflow etc., like "activate
IP forwarding" and so on, worked.

Any idea how to get this to work?

Thanks for any hint!

Best regards,

Markus

--
Please reply to group only.
For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm

Re: tun0 available for VirtualBox client?

<op.04xt53vxa3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3828&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3828

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: tun0 available for VirtualBox client?
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 14:11:53 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 18:11 UTC

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 11:36:57 -0400, Markus Robert Kessler <no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> first: reason for asking this here is, that the behaviour of VirtualBox
> seems to heavily depend on the target for which this is packaged.
>
> I have to set the parameters of VirtualBox in the way that (vpnc) tun0 is
> available for the client OS which is booted from VirtualBox.
> Unfortunately, none of the tricks from stackoverflow etc., like "activate
> IP forwarding" and so on, worked.
>
> Any idea how to get this to work?

I suspect, with vpnc running on the host that the vbox guest network will have
to use bridged networking to see the tun0 network interface. I've never tried it
though, and have very limited experience with using a vpn.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org to davidwhodgins@teksavvy.com for
email replies.

Re: tun0 available for VirtualBox client?

<sab9f2$a2t$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3832&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3832

From: no_re...@dipl-ing-kessler.de (Markus Robert Kessler)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 22:26:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Markus Robert Kessle - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 22:26 UTC

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 14:11:53 -0400 David W. Hodgins wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 11:36:57 -0400, Markus Robert Kessler
> <no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> first: reason for asking this here is, that the behaviour of VirtualBox
>> seems to heavily depend on the target for which this is packaged.
>>
>> I have to set the parameters of VirtualBox in the way that (vpnc) tun0
>> is available for the client OS which is booted from VirtualBox.
>> Unfortunately, none of the tricks from stackoverflow etc., like
>> "activate IP forwarding" and so on, worked.
>>
>> Any idea how to get this to work?
>
> I suspect, with vpnc running on the host that the vbox guest network
> will have to use bridged networking to see the tun0 network interface.
> I've never tried it though, and have very limited experience with using
> a vpn.

Hi Dave, thanks for answering.

Well, using bridged mode, I was fully surprised to NOT see tun0 in the
list of interfaces, just eth0 ("enps..."). There was no working route
through the VPN tunnel.

But, finally I selected NAT-mode for the client, established a VPNC
connection on the host machine (mga7-x64) and the remote target was
reachable.

I still don't know, why, but it works...

Thanks again,
best regards,

Markus