From: Albert.A...@gmail.com (Albert Arkwright)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Ubuntu 22.10 is dropping PulseAudio
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 22:12:13 +0100
 by: Albert Arkwright - Mon, 23 May 2022 21:12 UTC

On 23/05/2022 13:35, Yrrah wrote:

> "Ubuntu 22.10 is making a big change to the future of the Ubuntu Linux
> distribution line, by switching the audio server setup from PulseAudio to
> PipeWire.
> The news was confirmed officially by Canonical Employee and Ubuntu Desktop
> Developer, Heather Ellsworth, on the Ubuntu Discourse thread about the
> topic,(...)
> Other popular distributions that use PipeWire are Fedora, EndeavourOS and
> Slackware."
> Article:
> https://www.ghacks.net/2022/05/23/ubuntu-22-10-dropping-pulseaudio/
> PipeWire:
> https://pipewire.org/
>
> Linux Mint will follow, I presume.
> I don't use PulseAudio and see no reason why I should use PipeWire.
>
> Yrrah

Is there anything safe these days?

Did they give any reasons why they are dropping "PulseAudio"?

I hope this world will continue to operate without PulseAudio!

Re: Ubuntu 22.10 is dropping PulseAudio

<t6h6bb$9nm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3837&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3837

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 19:45:46 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 23 May 2022 23:45 UTC

On 5/23/2022 5:12 PM, Albert Arkwright wrote:
> On 23/05/2022 13:35, Yrrah wrote:
>>
>> "Ubuntu 22.10 is making a big change to the future of the Ubuntu Linux
>> distribution line, by switching the audio server setup from PulseAudio to
>> PipeWire.
>> The news was confirmed officially by Canonical Employee and Ubuntu Desktop
>> Developer, Heather Ellsworth, on the Ubuntu Discourse thread about the
>> topic,(...)
>> Other popular distributions that use PipeWire are Fedora, EndeavourOS and
>> Slackware."
>> Article:
>> https://www.ghacks.net/2022/05/23/ubuntu-22-10-dropping-pulseaudio/
>> PipeWire:
>> https://pipewire.org/
>>
>> Linux Mint will follow, I presume.
>> I don't use PulseAudio and see no reason why I should use PipeWire.
>>
>> Yrrah
>
> Is there anything safe these days?
>
> Did they give any reasons why they are dropping "PulseAudio"?
>
> I hope this world will continue to operate without PulseAudio!

I think for most of us, the "endless sound wars" become more of
a "will my sound work", than any discussion about the merits
of the technical bits underneath. Think of the misery some
Audacity developer is going through right now.

Paul