computers / comp.mobile.android / Using whatsapp without SIM

SubjectAuthor
* Using whatsapp without SIMmicky
+* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMJoerg Lorenz
|`* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMmicky
| +* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMmicky
| |+* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMCarlos E.R.
| ||`- Re: Using whatsapp without SIMmicky
| |`* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMJoerg Lorenz
| | `* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMmicky
| |  `- Re: Using whatsapp without SIMSteve Hayes
| +* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMJoerg Lorenz
| |+* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMCarlos E.R.
| ||`* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMJoerg Lorenz
| || `- Re: Using whatsapp without SIMCarlos E.R.
| |`- Re: Using whatsapp without SIMmicky
| `* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMRichmond
|  `* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMmicky
|   `- Re: Using whatsapp without SIMCarlos E.R.
+* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMCarlos E.R.
|`* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMAndy Burnelli
| +- Re: Using whatsapp without SIMCarlos E.R.
| `* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMmicky
|  `* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMAndy Burnelli
|   `* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMmicky
|    +- Re: Using whatsapp without SIMAndy Burnelli
|    `* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMCarlos E.R.
|     `* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMAndy Burnelli
|      `* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMCarlos E.R.
|       `* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMAndy Burnelli
|        `- Re: Using whatsapp without SIMCarlos E.R.
+* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMSteve Hayes
|`- Re: Using whatsapp without SIMCarlos E.R.
`- Re: Using whatsapp without SIMJason H

Pages:12
Using whatsapp without SIM

<7c4r0ipigj2q0fvb05m3j97s0q5a4i5k2r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38431&group=comp.mobile.android#38431

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Using whatsapp without SIM
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 04:50:34 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 08:50 UTC

If someone doesn't have a sim for the country he's in, but he can stop
by some place with wifi, can he pick up messages that have been left for
him using Whatsapp? Voice messages? Text messages (even though I
dislike sending text messages)?

When my brother goers out of the country, he's incommunicado but maybe
not on purpose.

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<tuk80o$1tknc$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38434&group=comp.mobile.android#38434

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Using whatsapp without SIM
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 11:03:03 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 10:03 UTC

Am 12.03.23 um 09:50 schrieb micky:
> If someone doesn't have a sim for the country he's in, but he can stop
> by some place with wifi, can he pick up messages that have been left for
> him using Whatsapp? Voice messages? Text messages (even though I
> dislike sending text messages)?

Welcome to WhatsApp. With WhatsApp, you’ll get fast, simple, and secure
messaging and calling available on phones all over the world. To get
started, download WhatsApp for free from the Google Play Store or Apple
App Store. Learn how to verify *your phone number* in this article and
how to add contacts in this article.
View the articles below to learn how to use our most popular features.

Does not work without a phone number. The phone-# is the anchor of the
service.

https://faq.whatsapp.com/

> When my brother goers out of the country, he's incommunicado but maybe
> not on purpose.

Perhaps he does not want to be disturbed. Social issues cannot be solved
with technology. I get the impression Americans will never learn and
accept this fact.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<43p0ejxmjl.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38436&group=comp.mobile.android#38436

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 12:19:32 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 11:19 UTC

On 2023-03-12 09:50, micky wrote:
> If someone doesn't have a sim for the country he's in, but he can stop
> by some place with wifi, can he pick up messages that have been left for
> him using Whatsapp? Voice messages? Text messages (even though I
> dislike sending text messages)?

Yes, it does work, as long as you don't remove the original SIM. The
identification is tied to that phone number.

It is possible to add the WhatsApp app on a tablet, and tie it to the
number in the phone. The phone has to remain active, if the contact to
it is lost for 15 days (IIRC), whatasap in the tablet stops working.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<tukq27$250l7$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38443&group=comp.mobile.android#38443

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 15:11:17 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 15:11 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

> Yes, it does work, as long as you don't remove the original SIM. The
> identification is tied to that phone number.

Hi Carlos,
I never tested using WhatsApp without the SIM card in the phone, as I only
use it when I'm conversing with those in Europe when they or I travel.

However, I do dial directly to WhatsApp accounts since I don't have any
contacts, let alone WhatsApp contacts, and that works for voice & chat.

My casual question is whether it's required to have the SIM card in the
phone, since I think we're not using the voice networks but the Internet.

Why would WhatsApp need your phone number (of course, _after_ they once
they verified your account) when the transaction is via their account?

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<arh1ejxjps.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38467&group=comp.mobile.android#38467

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 19:22:02 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 18:22 UTC

On 2023-03-12 16:11, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> Yes, it does work, as long as you don't remove the original SIM. The
>> identification is tied to that phone number.
>
> Hi Carlos,
> I never tested using WhatsApp without the SIM card in the phone, as I only
> use it when I'm conversing with those in Europe when they or I travel.
>
> However, I do dial directly to WhatsApp accounts since I don't have any
> contacts, let alone WhatsApp contacts, and that works for voice & chat.
>
> My casual question is whether it's required to have the SIM card in the
> phone, since I think we're not using the voice networks but the Internet.
>
> Why would WhatsApp need your phone number (of course, _after_ they once
> they verified your account) when the transaction is via their account?

You do not need the SIM card in, except that some actions trigger
WhatsApp to try to check the current phone number, and then it will see
there is none, and will complain, even disable itself.

It is what happens when I migrate whatsapp from the old to the new
phone. I don't remember what exact actions trigger this check. In my
case, perhaps the SIM card appearing in the new phone.

You can have whatsap in a phone or tablet with no sim, but still linked
to the phone with the sim. It will work for 15 days, then it will want
confirmation from the phone with sim that the other still has
permission. More or less, I have not tried, but so says their site faq.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<138s0i5pm4f0oredj993d6bubucla0uigq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38473&group=comp.mobile.android#38473

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 14:59:46 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 18:59 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 12 Mar 2023 11:03:03 +0100, Joerg Lorenz
<hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

>> When my brother goers out of the country, he's incommunicado but maybe
>> not on purpose.
>
>Perhaps he does not want to be disturbed.

Much more likely he doesn't add apps that didn't come with the phone.
He uses the cell phone a lot -- it's his only phone -- but grew up when
anyone who was traveling, staying in various places, was out of contact
with people back home. If in another continent, totally out of contact,
so he's used to it and it doesn't bother him. But it bothers me.

I'll get him to put whatsapp on his phone, but I don't know if I can get
him to stop by a hotspot to check if I called.

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<8b8s0itqkaqmbvntdfbu4sqhfh544ac26s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38474&group=comp.mobile.android#38474

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 15:01:43 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 19:01 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 12 Mar 2023 15:11:17 +0000, Andy
Burnelli <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

>Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> Yes, it does work, as long as you don't remove the original SIM. The
>> identification is tied to that phone number.
>
>Hi Carlos,
>I never tested using WhatsApp without the SIM card in the phone, as I only
>use it when I'm conversing with those in Europe when they or I travel.
>
>However, I do dial directly to WhatsApp accounts since I don't have any
>contacts, let alone WhatsApp contacts, and that works for voice & chat.

Are there separate Whatspp contacts, or does it just use the regular
contracts list?

>My casual question is whether it's required to have the SIM card in the
>phone, since I think we're not using the voice networks but the Internet.
>
>Why would WhatsApp need your phone number (of course, _after_ they once
>they verified your account) when the transaction is via their account?

Beats me!

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<tulf2d$276ia$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38483&group=comp.mobile.android#38483

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.privacy,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:09:47 +0200
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 21:09 UTC

micky wrote:

>>However, I do dial directly to WhatsApp accounts since I don't have any
>>contacts, let alone WhatsApp contacts, and that works for voice & chat.
>
> Are there separate Whatspp contacts, or does it just use the regular
> contracts list?

We covered this in gory detail many times on this newsgroup, where I think
it was Frank Slootweg (but it could be someone else) who tested it out.

WhatsApp has a known list of all its customers, because each of them has
agreed to create a WhatsApp account so that is a separate WhatsApp db.

On your phone, is a separate personal contacts db that is NOT the WhatsApp
contacts db, nor, for some people like me, does that contacts db exist.

That contacts db on your phone, if it exists, has nothing to do, per se,
with the separate WhatsApp db.

What happens, according to my recollection of (I think it was) Frank's
research, is the WhatsApp grabs your entire contacts db (as does Google
GMail and a few other apps - which is precisely why I don't have a contacts
db on my phone in the first place).

Once WhatsApp grabs your contacts db, as I understand Frank's research, it
uploads it and _compares_ your personal contacts db with that of the master
WhatsApp customer list.

It then downloads back to your phone, as I understand it from Frank's
research, the Venn intersection of the two separate contacts listings.

All this, and much more, has been discussed umpteen times on this newsgroup
<http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>

In my case, since I have no contacts on my phone in the default location
(mine are stored elsewhere of course), there is no Venn intersection.

Even if there were, I dial people directly from the WhatsApp phone dialer.
And I chat directly by dialing the phone number on that WA Dialer app.

Only _then_ does the contact show up as a WhatsApp contact in the WA app.

In summary, I use WhatsApp the way _I_ want to use it; not the way that
WhatsApp wants me to use it (as they love to suck up all your contacts).

I haven't tested it, and I doubt the iOS owners know anything of how it
works, but it's likely that it works similarly on the iOS devices also.

Only with less privacy perhaps.

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<oags0i59vlk325rj0ejl0ltvh858jd1tj2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38484&group=comp.mobile.android#38484

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 17:22:26 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 21:22 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 12 Mar 2023 14:59:46 -0400, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>Much more likely he doesn't add apps that didn't come with the phone.
>He uses the cell phone a lot -- it's his only phone -- but grew up when
>anyone who was traveling, staying in various places, was out of contact
>with people back home. If in another continent, totally out of contact,
>so he's used to it and it doesn't bother him. But it bothers me.
>
>I'll get him to put whatsapp on his phone, but I don't know if I can get
>him to stop by a hotspot to check if I called.

Well, I've underestimated my brother. He still didn't answer so I had
to call my step-nephew, who tells me my brother is in Peru. AND he can
be reached on whatsapp, so he knew about it.

I called with WA and no answer. It rings 15 times and then stops. I
think sending text messages via WA is not obvious but I figured it out.
I have to wait until he's by a hotspot and has his phone on.

I wish he'd tell me when he's leaving the country. I wrote him before I
did, gave him my temporary USA number and when I'd be back.

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<j2hs0itv6m40m8vbec3hnra2omh4i9sqv8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38485&group=comp.mobile.android#38485

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.privacy,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 17:36:14 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 21:36 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:09:47 +0200, Andy
Burnelli <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>>>However, I do dial directly to WhatsApp accounts since I don't have any
>>>contacts, let alone WhatsApp contacts, and that works for voice & chat.
>>
>> Are there separate Whatspp contacts, or does it just use the regular
>> contracts list?
>
>We covered this in gory detail many times on this newsgroup, where I think
>it was Frank Slootweg (but it could be someone else) who tested it out.
>
>WhatsApp has a known list of all its customers, because each of them has
>agreed to create a WhatsApp account so that is a separate WhatsApp db.
>
>On your phone, is a separate personal contacts db that is NOT the WhatsApp
>contacts db, nor, for some people like me, does that contacts db exist.
>
>That contacts db on your phone, if it exists, has nothing to do, per se,
>with the separate WhatsApp db.
>
>What happens, according to my recollection of (I think it was) Frank's
>research, is the WhatsApp grabs your entire contacts db (as does Google
>GMail and a few other apps - which is precisely why I don't have a contacts
>db on my phone in the first place).
>
>Once WhatsApp grabs your contacts db, as I understand Frank's research, it
>uploads it and _compares_ your personal contacts db with that of the master
>WhatsApp customer list.
>
>It then downloads back to your phone, as I understand it from Frank's
>research, the Venn intersection of the two separate contacts listings.
>
>All this, and much more, has been discussed umpteen times on this newsgroup
> <http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>
>
>In my case, since I have no contacts on my phone in the default location
>(mine are stored elsewhere of course), there is no Venn intersection.

Thanks for all the info.

>Even if there were, I dial people directly from the WhatsApp phone dialer.

I think you referred to this before, but I've looked over the years and
there is no dialer option from Whatsapp without making an entry in the
contact list. If you click on the green handset cirle with a + sign
in it, it brings up t he contact list with 3 lines at t he top, New Call
Link (for group calls), New group call, and New contact.
===================

>And I chat directly by dialing the phone number on that WA Dialer app.

But here you say it a 3rd time, so I looked in the android app store for
whatsapp dialer and I found several. Which do you use (except see the
next line)?

>Only _then_ does the contact show up as a WhatsApp contact in the WA app.

If *then* it shows up in the WA contact list in WA itself, why not just
use the New Contact option I underlined above? Or maybe that is what
you meant?

>In summary, I use WhatsApp the way _I_ want to use it; not the way that
>WhatsApp wants me to use it (as they love to suck up all your contacts).
>
>I haven't tested it, and I doubt the iOS owners know anything of how it
>works, but it's likely that it works similarly on the iOS devices also.
>
>Only with less privacy perhaps.

LOL. I have enough trouble using Android. I won't burden my mind with
ios stuff.

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<tulhtj$27fj3$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38486&group=comp.mobile.android#38486

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.privacy,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:58:25 +0200
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 21:58 UTC

micky wrote:

>>In my case, since I have no contacts on my phone in the default location
>>(mine are stored elsewhere of course), there is no Venn intersection.
>
> Thanks for all the info.

Well, you should thank Frank (or was it Carlos? I don't remember who) who
looked it all up and covered much more gory detail (like how WhatApp
handles the hash which is what they get of each of your contacts).

It is handled similarly, as far as I know, on iOS, so they can help also.
<https://i.postimg.cc/636XBckk/whatsapp01.jpg> No need for WA contacts

What's different, I think, is the iOS devices probably lack the contacts
privacy of Android since you don't have as much control with iOS apps.

And, since I use the WhatsApp direct dialer on Android, I don't know if
this kind of privacy from WhatsApp servers is available on iOS.

Probably not.

>>Even if there were, I dial people directly from the WhatsApp phone dialer.
>
> I think you referred to this before, but I've looked over the years and
> there is no dialer option from Whatsapp without making an entry in the
> contact list. If you click on the green handset cirle with a + sign
> in it, it brings up t he contact list with 3 lines at t he top, New Call
> Link (for group calls), New group call, and New contact.

I've covered this, in gory detail, so many times I'm tired of saying it.
<https://i.postimg.cc/cJFmTXqb/waprivacy01.jpg> WhatsApp contact privacy

>>And I chat directly by dialing the phone number on that WA Dialer app.
>
> But here you say it a 3rd time, so I looked in the android app store for
> whatsapp dialer and I found several. Which do you use (except see the
> next line)?

I am tired of constantly repeating the actual apps and their details so
just look at the screenshot above which has the full unique app names.

>>Only _then_ does the contact show up as a WhatsApp contact in the WA app.
>
> If *then* it shows up in the WA contact list in WA itself, why not just
> use the New Contact option I underlined above? Or maybe that is what
> you meant?

For me, since I don't even _have_ contacts, each person I talk to or
message using WhatsApp shows up as a unique shortcut as shown above.

The _first_ time I call them (or message them), I use the dialer keypad.
The rest of the time I just tap on the Android desktop shortcut created.

Probably iOS works similarly, but with less privacy than Android due
to the lack of ability to control exactly what you want to control
(and not what WhatsApp wants you to do).

For me, that means I keep my contacts out of WhatsApp's hands.

It's rude to let WhatsApp have all your contacts without _their_ permission
in fact, which is what most people do (but most people are stupid).

Most people, like sheep led to slaughter, do what MARKETING tells them to.

>>In summary, I use WhatsApp the way _I_ want to use it; not the way that
>>WhatsApp wants me to use it (as they love to suck up all your contacts).
>>
>>I haven't tested it, and I doubt the iOS owners know anything of how it
>>works, but it's likely that it works similarly on the iOS devices also.
>>
>>Only with less privacy perhaps.
>
> LOL. I have enough trouble using Android.
> I won't burden my mind with ios stuff.

Interestingly, there is some privacy on iOS that you can't get with
Android, for example, when you use Google Voice on Android, it _creates_ an
Android Google Account - but that doesn't happen when you use iOS.

It's one reason why, when I travel, I bring both the iPad & Android with me
(although nospam insists that "it's not needed" and "nobody wants that",
because what nospam does, like sheep led to slaughter, is what Apple tells
him to do.

I do what I want to do.
Not what WhatsApp wants me to do.

And _that_ means I use iOS when it's more private.
And that means I use Android when it's more private.

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<5au1ejxsp8.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38487&group=comp.mobile.android#38487

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 22:54:45 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 21:54 UTC

On 2023-03-12 22:22, micky wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 12 Mar 2023 14:59:46 -0400, micky
> <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>

>> Much more likely he doesn't add apps that didn't come with the phone.
>> He uses the cell phone a lot -- it's his only phone -- but grew up when
>> anyone who was traveling, staying in various places, was out of contact
>> with people back home. If in another continent, totally out of contact,
>> so he's used to it and it doesn't bother him. But it bothers me.
>>
>> I'll get him to put whatsapp on his phone, but I don't know if I can get
>> him to stop by a hotspot to check if I called.
>
> Well, I've underestimated my brother. He still didn't answer so I had
> to call my step-nephew, who tells me my brother is in Peru. AND he can
> be reached on whatsapp, so he knew about it.

:-D

> I called with WA and no answer. It rings 15 times and then stops. I
> think sending text messages via WA is not obvious but I figured it out.
> I have to wait until he's by a hotspot and has his phone on.

Unless he has disabled it, you can send a message, wait to see when you
get a double check, and then call that instant.

> I wish he'd tell me when he's leaving the country. I wrote him before I
> did, gave him my temporary USA number and when I'd be back.

You can also send voice messages. Some people prefer speaking to
writing. He can read them any time he gets a connection, or later, not
in real time.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<6ju1ejxsp8.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38488&group=comp.mobile.android#38488

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.privacy,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 22:59:34 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 21:59 UTC

On 2023-03-12 22:36, micky wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:09:47 +0200, Andy
> Burnelli <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

>>> Are there separate Whatspp contacts, or does it just use the regular
>>> contracts list?
>>
>> We covered this in gory detail many times on this newsgroup, where I think
>> it was Frank Slootweg (but it could be someone else) who tested it out.
>>
>> WhatsApp has a known list of all its customers, because each of them has
>> agreed to create a WhatsApp account so that is a separate WhatsApp db.
>>
>> On your phone, is a separate personal contacts db that is NOT the WhatsApp
>> contacts db, nor, for some people like me, does that contacts db exist.
>>
>> That contacts db on your phone, if it exists, has nothing to do, per se,
>> with the separate WhatsApp db.
>>
>> What happens, according to my recollection of (I think it was) Frank's
>> research, is the WhatsApp grabs your entire contacts db (as does Google
>> GMail and a few other apps - which is precisely why I don't have a contacts
>> db on my phone in the first place).
>>
>> Once WhatsApp grabs your contacts db, as I understand Frank's research, it
>> uploads it and _compares_ your personal contacts db with that of the master
>> WhatsApp customer list.
>>
>> It then downloads back to your phone, as I understand it from Frank's
>> research, the Venn intersection of the two separate contacts listings.
>>
>> All this, and much more, has been discussed umpteen times on this newsgroup
>> <http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>
>>
>> In my case, since I have no contacts on my phone in the default location
>> (mine are stored elsewhere of course), there is no Venn intersection.
>
> Thanks for all the info.
>>
>> Even if there were, I dial people directly from the WhatsApp phone dialer.
>
> I think you referred to this before, but I've looked over the years and
> there is no dialer option from Whatsapp without making an entry in the
> contact list. If you click on the green handset cirle with a + sign
> in it, it brings up t he contact list with 3 lines at t he top, New Call
> Link (for group calls), New group call, and New contact.
> ===================
>
>> And I chat directly by dialing the phone number on that WA Dialer app.
>
> But here you say it a 3rd time, so I looked in the android app store for
> whatsapp dialer and I found several. Which do you use (except see the
> next line)?
>>
>> Only _then_ does the contact show up as a WhatsApp contact in the WA app.
>
> If *then* it shows up in the WA contact list in WA itself, why not just
> use the New Contact option I underlined above? Or maybe that is what
> you meant?

Because he doesn't use _the_ contact list. For all purposes, it is as if
he uses a paper list.

Don't do that, way to complicated :-D

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<tulivd$27jjk$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38489&group=comp.mobile.android#38489

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.privacy,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 00:16:27 +0200
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 22:16 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

>> If *then* it shows up in the WA contact list in WA itself, why not just
>> use the New Contact option I underlined above? Or maybe that is what
>> you meant?
>
> Because he doesn't use _the_ contact list. For all purposes, it is as if
> he uses a paper list.
>
> Don't do that, way to complicated :-D

To Carlos' point, it's always easiest to be led to slaughter without a
fight. It's why slaves are slaves. And why entire species go extinct.

Freedom isn't free.
Privacy isn't easy.

Carlos is correct that the MARKETING of WhatsApp & Apple & Google (etc.)
have made the steps easy that _they_ want you to follow - step by step.

For WhatsApp, on Android anyway, the first step is that the app sucks up
your contacts (as with the Google GMail app, for example), and then it
pushes back to your phone a Venn intersection of the common contacts.

In my case, there's no contacts db to suck up, so it gets nothing at all.
I then dial the person I wish to speak to on WhatsApp directly.

If that's "too complicated", then that's OK.
It's not too complicated for me to dial directly in the WA Dialer.

But just keep in mind that you do what YOU want to do on a smart phone.
Not what the MAREKETING people want you to do.

Besides... it's downright _rude_ to upload people's contacts to the
motherships like Apple, Google and Meta.

You should at the very least ask for their permission first, IMHO.

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<9a02ejxskd.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38490&group=comp.mobile.android#38490

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.privacy,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:28:57 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 22:28 UTC

On 2023-03-12 23:16, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>>> If *then* it shows up in the WA contact list in WA itself, why not just
>>> use the New Contact option I underlined above?  Or maybe that is what
>>> you meant?
>>
>> Because he doesn't use _the_ contact list. For all purposes, it is as
>> if he uses a paper list.
>>
>> Don't do that, way to complicated :-D
>
> To Carlos' point, it's always easiest to be led to slaughter without a
> fight. It's why slaves are slaves. And why entire species go extinct.

Well, it is your opinion. I disagree. Will not discuss it.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<5r6t0i1t1oucvn08be8cbeliicb4cfiue6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38491&group=comp.mobile.android#38491

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:44:16 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 03:44 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 12 Mar 2023 22:54:45 +0100, "Carlos
E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>On 2023-03-12 22:22, micky wrote:
>> In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 12 Mar 2023 14:59:46 -0400, micky
>> <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Much more likely he doesn't add apps that didn't come with the phone.
>>> He uses the cell phone a lot -- it's his only phone -- but grew up when
>>> anyone who was traveling, staying in various places, was out of contact
>>> with people back home. If in another continent, totally out of contact,
>>> so he's used to it and it doesn't bother him. But it bothers me.
>>>
>>> I'll get him to put whatsapp on his phone, but I don't know if I can get
>>> him to stop by a hotspot to check if I called.
>>
>> Well, I've underestimated my brother. He still didn't answer so I had
>> to call my step-nephew, who tells me my brother is in Peru. AND he can
>> be reached on whatsapp, so he knew about it.
>
>:-D
>

>> I called with WA and no answer. It rings 15 times and then stops. I
>> think sending text messages via WA is not obvious but I figured it out.
>> I have to wait until he's by a hotspot and has his phone on.
>
>Unless he has disabled it, you can send a message, wait to see when you
>get a double check, and then call that instant.

Great. That should work if he calls at a good time. I wanted to talk
to him today, but before Wednesday is good enough.

>> I wish he'd tell me when he's leaving the country. I wrote him before I
>> did, gave him my temporary USA number and when I'd be back.
>
>You can also send voice messages. Some people prefer speaking to
>writing. He can read them any time he gets a connection, or later, not
>in real time.

Ok, I checked and I did that too. It's a lot easier than typing.

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<tumga1$1uqlm$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38492&group=comp.mobile.android#38492

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 07:36:49 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 06:36 UTC

Am 12.03.23 um 19:59 schrieb micky:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 12 Mar 2023 11:03:03 +0100, Joerg Lorenz
> <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>

>>> When my brother goers out of the country, he's incommunicado but maybe
>>> not on purpose.
>>
>> Perhaps he does not want to be disturbed.
>
> Much more likely he doesn't add apps that didn't come with the phone.
> He uses the cell phone a lot -- it's his only phone -- but grew up when
> anyone who was traveling, staying in various places, was out of contact
> with people back home. If in another continent, totally out of contact,
> so he's used to it and it doesn't bother him. But it bothers me.

Technology never solves social issues.

> I'll get him to put whatsapp on his phone, but I don't know if I can get
> him to stop by a hotspot to check if I called.

Technology never solves social issues.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<tumgfr$1uqlm$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38493&group=comp.mobile.android#38493

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 07:39:54 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 06:39 UTC

Am 12.03.23 um 22:22 schrieb micky:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 12 Mar 2023 14:59:46 -0400, micky
> <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>

>> Much more likely he doesn't add apps that didn't come with the phone.
>> He uses the cell phone a lot -- it's his only phone -- but grew up when
>> anyone who was traveling, staying in various places, was out of contact
>> with people back home. If in another continent, totally out of contact,
>> so he's used to it and it doesn't bother him. But it bothers me.
>>
>> I'll get him to put whatsapp on his phone, but I don't know if I can get
>> him to stop by a hotspot to check if I called.
>
> Well, I've underestimated my brother. He still didn't answer so I had
> to call my step-nephew, who tells me my brother is in Peru. AND he can
> be reached on whatsapp, so he knew about it.

Send him a message that you want to talk to him.
If he does not want to talk to you it his right. Respect it.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<6ae3ejxmtu.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38494&group=comp.mobile.android#38494

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 12:33:57 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 11:33 UTC

On 2023-03-13 07:36, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 12.03.23 um 19:59 schrieb micky:

>>> Perhaps he does not want to be disturbed.
>>
>> Much more likely he doesn't add apps that didn't come with the phone.
>> He uses the cell phone a lot -- it's his only phone -- but grew up when
>> anyone who was traveling, staying in various places, was out of contact
>> with people back home. If in another continent, totally out of contact,
>> so he's used to it and it doesn't bother him. But it bothers me.
>
> Technology never solves social issues.

But lack of technology is often used as excuse.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<tunhrd$2imcf$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38503&group=comp.mobile.android#38503

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.privacy,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 16:09:31 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 16:09 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

>> To Carlos' point, it's always easiest to be led to slaughter without a
>> fight. It's why slaves are slaves. And why entire species go extinct.
>
> Well, it is your opinion. I disagree. Will not discuss it.

For those who care about privacy, and for the permanent Usenet record...

My position is that this is a mobile device newsgroup which _should_ care
about setting up the mobile device in ways which are intelligently done.
<https://i.postimg.cc/cJFmTXqb/waprivacy01.jpg> WhatsApp contact privacy

For me, on the topic of using WhatsApp anyway, that means installing a
dialer for WhatsApp (at least on the privacy aware Android, if not iOS).

I doubt you can get that kind of privacy on iOS, but it's easy for Android.
Which is the point.

Also, it's easy on Android to find privacy aware apps which normally suck
in your contacts from the default location, but which have their own db.

It's highly unlikely, despite all of Apple's brazen lies about privacy,
that iOS has anywhere near that kind of privacy - but Android does.

Not only is it rude to upload your contacts to a mothership server,
but it's also a huge hole in your privacy that is needlessly there.

Apple lies about their privacy but Android has this privacy native.
a. Don't put any contacts in the default location
b. Choose apps which can do their job w/o those default contacts
c. In the case of WhatsApp, just install a free adfree gsffree dialer

Voila! <https://i.postimg.cc/636XBckk/whatsapp01.jpg> No contacts!

My point is that it's easy on Android.
If you're intelligent.

However, not so easy if you're not intelligent.
And likely impossible on iOS even if you are.

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<tunkcv$220ou$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38507&group=comp.mobile.android#38507

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 17:52:47 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 16:52 UTC

Am 13.03.23 um 12:33 schrieb Carlos E.R.:
> On 2023-03-13 07:36, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>> Am 12.03.23 um 19:59 schrieb micky:

>>> Much more likely he doesn't add apps that didn't come with the phone.
>>> He uses the cell phone a lot -- it's his only phone -- but grew up when
>>> anyone who was traveling, staying in various places, was out of contact
>>> with people back home. If in another continent, totally out of contact,
>>> so he's used to it and it doesn't bother him. But it bothers me.
>>
>> Technology never solves social issues.
>
> But lack of technology is often used as excuse.

Hardly an acceptable excuse nowadays.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<2vk4ejxbal.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38514&group=comp.mobile.android#38514

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 23:33:38 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 22:33 UTC

On 2023-03-13 17:52, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 13.03.23 um 12:33 schrieb Carlos E.R.:

>>> Technology never solves social issues.
>>
>> But lack of technology is often used as excuse.
>
> Hardly an acceptable excuse nowadays.

On the contrary, it has been used many times on me.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<n1l4ejxbal.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38515&group=comp.mobile.android#38515

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.privacy,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 23:35:03 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 22:35 UTC

On 2023-03-13 17:09, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>>> To Carlos' point, it's always easiest to be led to slaughter without
>>> a fight. It's why slaves are slaves. And why entire species go extinct.
>>
>> Well, it is your opinion. I disagree. Will not discuss it.
>
> For those who care about privacy, and for the permanent Usenet record...
> My position is that this is a mobile device newsgroup which _should_ care
> about setting up the mobile device in ways which are intelligently done.

Your definition of intelligently, mind.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<85a60gb4n0.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38517&group=comp.mobile.android#38517

From: dnomh...@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 23:41:55 +0000
 by: Richmond - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 23:41 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> writes:

> In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 12 Mar 2023 11:03:03 +0100, Joerg Lorenz
> <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>

>>> When my brother goers out of the country, he's incommunicado but maybe
>>> not on purpose.
>>
>>Perhaps he does not want to be disturbed.
>
> Much more likely he doesn't add apps that didn't come with the phone.
> He uses the cell phone a lot -- it's his only phone -- but grew up when
> anyone who was traveling, staying in various places, was out of contact
> with people back home. If in another continent, totally out of contact,
> so he's used to it and it doesn't bother him. But it bothers me.
>
> I'll get him to put whatsapp on his phone, but I don't know if I can get
> him to stop by a hotspot to check if I called.

You could get him to put element on his phone, and you could put it on
yours. Then neither a phone number or sim card wouldn't be necessary.

https://element.io/download

Why not send him an email?

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<0qh11ipnm8g3fe9ja9kunf23kr5ur3nge8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38543&group=comp.mobile.android#38543

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 15:16:13 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 19:16 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 13 Mar 2023 07:39:54 +0100, Joerg Lorenz
<hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

>Am 12.03.23 um 22:22 schrieb micky:
>> In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 12 Mar 2023 14:59:46 -0400, micky
>> <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Much more likely he doesn't add apps that didn't come with the phone.
>>> He uses the cell phone a lot -- it's his only phone -- but grew up when
>>> anyone who was traveling, staying in various places, was out of contact
>>> with people back home. If in another continent, totally out of contact,
>>> so he's used to it and it doesn't bother him. But it bothers me.
>>>
>>> I'll get him to put whatsapp on his phone, but I don't know if I can get
>>> him to stop by a hotspot to check if I called.
>>
>> Well, I've underestimated my brother. He still didn't answer so I had
>> to call my step-nephew, who tells me my brother is in Peru. AND he can
>> be reached on whatsapp, so he knew about it.
>
>Send him a message that you want to talk to him.
>If he does not want to talk to you it his right. Respect it.

Huh? There is no reason to think he doens't want to talk to me. Why
does that even occur to you?

I'm not an unsolicited salesman; I'm his brother.