Gravity brings me down.

computers / comp.sys.apple2 / Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

SubjectAuthor
* Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?matthe...@gmail.com
+* Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?Oliver Schmidt
|`- Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?Steve Nickolas
+- Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?fadden
+- Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?Charlie
+- Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?D Finnigan
+* Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?Aaron Pulver
|`* Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?barrym95838
| `- Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?awanderin
+* Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?Jeff Blakeney
|`- Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?Steve Nickolas
+- Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?bobbi.8bit
+* Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?Ant
|`- Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?wyeo
+- Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?mmphosis
+* Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?Speccie
|+* Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?Ant
||`* Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?Steve Nickolas
|| `- Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?Ant
|`* Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?Hugh Hood
| `* Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?Speccie
|  `- Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?James Hall [VE3MYZ] FN25dj. 73
`- Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?martin.doherty@undisclosed.com

1
Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

<9b1acb9f-72e8-4ffd-b0ba-3cb07f01be9fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3844&group=comp.sys.apple2#3844

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 21:06:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?
From: matthewm...@gmail.com (matthe...@gmail.com)
 by: matthe...@gmail.com - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 04:06 UTC

I am curious as to why CSA2 continues to thrive so . Don't get me wrong, I learn a tremendous amount from CSA2's immediate answers and also it's decades of accessible discussions. I read all the time and sometimes talk. Is it more of a future-proof community? Is it more searchable than the Facebook groups? What brings you here?

Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

<sl8m47$3d8$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3848&group=comp.sys.apple2#3848

From: ol....@web.de (Oliver Schmidt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Subject: Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 10:43:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Oliver Schmidt - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 10:43 UTC

Hi,

> Is it more searchable than the Facebook groups? What brings you here?

I think of it this way:

In 1:1 communication I have both messaging and email. Messaging is quick,
like "when do we meet this evening?". Email is long term, like "this is a
complex topic I wanted to discuss with you for quite some.".

In 1:n communication I have both <you name it> and Usenet. <you name it> is
quick, like "look at this eBay offer!". Usenet is long term, like "this is
the result of a project I've been working for quite some time.".

Regards,
Oliver

Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

<alpine.DEB.2.21.2110260813490.15902@sd-119843.dedibox.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3849&group=comp.sys.apple2#3849

From: usots...@buric.co (Steve Nickolas)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 08:14:10 -0400
 by: Steve Nickolas - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 12:14 UTC

On Tue, 26 Oct 2021, Oliver Schmidt wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Is it more searchable than the Facebook groups? What brings you here?
>
> I think of it this way:
>
> In 1:1 communication I have both messaging and email. Messaging is quick,
> like "when do we meet this evening?". Email is long term, like "this is a
> complex topic I wanted to discuss with you for quite some.".
>
> In 1:n communication I have both <you name it> and Usenet. <you name it> is
> quick, like "look at this eBay offer!". Usenet is long term, like "this is
> the result of a project I've been working for quite some time.".
>
> Regards,
> Oliver

That's about right.

Failbook and even web forums are ephemeral. Usenet is more permanent.

-uso.

Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

<a07eb8d5-8a27-4fd8-baa8-027c9f87b41en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3851&group=comp.sys.apple2#3851

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 07:45:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: thefad...@gmail.com (fadden)
 by: fadden - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 14:45 UTC

On Monday, October 25, 2021 at 9:06:56 PM UTC-7, matthe...@gmail.com wrote:
> Is it more searchable than the Facebook groups?

Facebook groups are fine for announcements, but work poorly for anything with an extended discussion.

The most usable "modern" equivalent to c.s.a2 is probably Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/apple2/

Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

<sl95tb$42t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3852&group=comp.sys.apple2#3852

From: charlieD...@verEYEzon.net (Charlie)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 11:12:36 -0400
 by: Charlie - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 15:12 UTC

On 10/26/2021 12:06 AM, matthe...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am curious as to why CSA2 continues to thrive so . Don't get me wrong, I learn a tremendous amount from CSA2's immediate answers and also it's decades of accessible discussions. I read all the time and sometimes talk. Is it more of a future-proof community? Is it more searchable than the Facebook groups? What brings you here?

I read eight newsgroups regularly.
When I check my email with Thunderbird it not only shows my email but
displays the newsgroups that have new posts. Easy.

If I had eight different sites to check then I have to do them
individually and I end up getting side tracked.

There are several Apple 2 related forums (not Facebook) that I
occasionally look at but again it's just easier to read CSA2.

Charlie

Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

<dog_cow-1635364680@macgui.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3861&group=comp.sys.apple2#3861

From: dog_...@macgui.com (D Finnigan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 19:58:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: D Finnigan - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 19:58 UTC

matthe...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am curious as to why CSA2 continues to thrive so . Don't get me wrong, I
> learn a tremendous amount from CSA2's immediate answers and also it's
> decades of accessible discussions. I read all the time and sometimes talk.
> Is it more of a future-proof community? Is it more searchable than the
> Facebook groups? What brings you here?

Well for me, it's built-in to my web site. :-)
But when I first came across it in 2009, the newsgroup had a much larger
group of participants so it seemed like THE place for Apple II discussion.

Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

<dc04a952-b70f-4d12-847c-adeedfb67e8fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3863&group=comp.sys.apple2#3863

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 23:36:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: apul...@weygants.net (Aaron Pulver)
 by: Aaron Pulver - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 06:36 UTC

On Monday, October 25, 2021 at 11:06:56 PM UTC-5, matthe...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am curious as to why CSA2 continues to thrive so . Don't get me wrong, I learn a tremendous amount from CSA2's immediate answers and also it's decades of accessible discussions. I read all the time and sometimes talk. Is it more of a future-proof community? Is it more searchable than the Facebook groups? What brings you here?

I mainly lurk here these days to improve my Italian. The years of Apple II knowledge available is just a bonus. ;)

Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

<sle0jo$pru$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3864&group=comp.sys.apple2#3864

From: CUTjeffr...@yahoo.ca (Jeff Blakeney)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 07:12:54 -0400
 by: Jeff Blakeney - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 11:12 UTC

On 2021-10-26 12:06 a.m., matthe...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am curious as to why CSA2 continues to thrive so . Don't get me
> wrong, I learn a tremendous amount from CSA2's immediate answers and
> also it's decades of accessible discussions. I read all the time and
> sometimes talk. Is it more of a future-proof community? Is it more
> searchable than the Facebook groups? What brings you here?

I, like Charlie, use Thunderbird for e-mail and have for many years. It
was easy to set up the newsgroups with it although I did have to search
for a server after ISPs stopped providing access to them long ago.

The newsgroups are almost the only Apple II stuff I read lately because
it is easy for me to do so. Having to access multiple web sites and not
having any sort of offline style reader or even a way for those web
sites to let me know what posts are new make it too much work to try to
use them. Also, places like Facebook won't even allow me to see the
messages in any sort of chronological order. It only shows me "Top
Posts" so I'm not guaranteed to see everything even if I check every day.

I used to try to keep up on the Facebook Apple II groups when the
navigation pane on the left showed the groups I was in with the number
of new messages in that group since I last read it. Then they kept
updating the look of the site and I was reduced to a maximum of 10
groups in that pane that I had to pin to display there and then they
stopped putting the number of new posts there as well. Heck, they used
to have a small marker that said "Older" at one point so I knew that I
had gotten through all possible unread posts/replies but that went away too.

I have been using offline readers since the BBS days. Canada Remote
Systems, GEnie, Delphi, A2Central were all accessed using offline
readers and I find it way more convenient to continue to do so.

Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

<alpine.DEB.2.21.2110280908470.8296@sd-119843.dedibox.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3865&group=comp.sys.apple2#3865

From: usots...@buric.co (Steve Nickolas)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 09:10:12 -0400
 by: Steve Nickolas - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 13:10 UTC

On Thu, 28 Oct 2021, Jeff Blakeney wrote:

> On 2021-10-26 12:06 a.m., matthe...@gmail.com wrote:
>> I am curious as to why CSA2 continues to thrive so . Don't get me
>> wrong, I learn a tremendous amount from CSA2's immediate answers and
>> also it's decades of accessible discussions. I read all the time and
>> sometimes talk. Is it more of a future-proof community? Is it more
>> searchable than the Facebook groups? What brings you here?
>
> I, like Charlie, use Thunderbird for e-mail and have for many years. It was
> easy to set up the newsgroups with it although I did have to search for a
> server after ISPs stopped providing access to them long ago.

I use Alpine for the same reason.

> The newsgroups are almost the only Apple II stuff I read lately because it is
> easy for me to do so. Having to access multiple web sites and not having any
> sort of offline style reader or even a way for those web sites to let me know
> what posts are new make it too much work to try to use them. Also, places
> like Facebook won't even allow me to see the messages in any sort of
> chronological order. It only shows me "Top Posts" so I'm not guaranteed to
> see everything even if I check every day.

There's FB Purity for that, but it's just a bandage on a flesh wound.

> I used to try to keep up on the Facebook Apple II groups when the navigation
> pane on the left showed the groups I was in with the number of new messages
> in that group since I last read it. Then they kept updating the look of the
> site and I was reduced to a maximum of 10 groups in that pane that I had to
> pin to display there and then they stopped putting the number of new posts
> there as well. Heck, they used to have a small marker that said "Older" at
> one point so I knew that I had gotten through all possible unread
> posts/replies but that went away too.
>
> I have been using offline readers since the BBS days. Canada Remote Systems,
> GEnie, Delphi, A2Central were all accessed using offline readers and I find
> it way more convenient to continue to do so.

Something like that for Failbook would prolly be nice... *_*

-uso.

Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

<00050-bobbi.8bit@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3867&group=comp.sys.apple2#3867

From: bobbi.8...@gmail.com
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: 29 Oct 2021 17:03:00
 by: bobbi.8...@gmail.com - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 17:03 UTC

"matthe...@gmail.com" <matthewmpower@gmail.com> wrote:

>I am curious as to why CSA2 continues to thrive so . Don't get me wrong, I
>learn a tremendous amount from CSA2's immediate answers and also it's
>decades of accessible discussions. I read all the time and sometimes talk.
>Is it more of a future-proof community? Is it more searchable than the
>Facebook groups? What brings you here?
>.

The fact that I can read and post using a real Apple //e :)

Bobbi

Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

<8ZednSRV8M79rOD8nZ2dnUU7-I2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3872&group=comp.sys.apple2#3872

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 06:49:52 -0500
 by: Ant - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 11:49 UTC

matthe...@gmail.com <matthewmpower@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am curious as to why CSA2 continues to thrive so . Don't get me wrong, I learn a tremendous amount from CSA2's immediate answers and also it's decades of accessible discussions. I read all the time and sometimes talk. Is it more of a future-proof community? Is it more searchable than the Facebook groups? What brings you here?

Many of us are old schoolers. ;)
--
Dang Moderna booster shot is taking me down again with the same symptoms, but longer! Horror! Worst COVID-19 shot ever so far. Will my weak body recovered by spooky Halloween?
| |o o| |

Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

<155661f7-028a-4d3c-87e4-c1d2d5889662n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3878&group=comp.sys.apple2#3878

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 19:11:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: willie...@gmail.com (wyeo)
 by: wyeo - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 02:11 UTC

On Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 9:49:58 PM UTC+10, Ant wrote:

> Many of us are old schoolers. ;)

+1

Although I am on social media more often than csa2.

Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

<mmphosis-1635884651@macgui.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3879&group=comp.sys.apple2#3879

From: mmpho...@macgui.com (mmphosis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 20:24:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: mmphosis - Tue, 2 Nov 2021 20:24 UTC

definitely future-proof.

I can find it.

I don't have to login: no need to create another burner account with another
burner email without cell number verification, don't have a cell phone,
harmful biometric meta interfaces, ...

no JavaScript. the page shows up without opening things up in uMatrix

https://macgui.com/usenet/?group=1
https://retroroundup.com/?fwp_categories=apple-ii
https://www.applefritter.com/tracker
https://old.reddit.com/r/apple2/
https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/apple-ii
http://a2central.com/
https://paleotronic.com/tag/apple-ii/
https://www.kansasfest.org/
https://68kmla.org/bb/index.php?forums/apple-i-lisa.27/
https://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum/genres/early-apple-i-etc?20-Early-Apple-(I-etc-)=

Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

<0001HW.2735195104A2DD487000070D92EF@eu.astraweb.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3880&group=comp.sys.apple2#3880

From: some...@somewhere.com (Speccie)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 07:48:33 +0000
 by: Speccie - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 07:48 UTC

Matthew,

> I am curious as to why CSA2 continues to thrive so . Don't get me wrong, I learn a tremendous amount from CSA2's immediate answers and also it's decades of accessible discussions. I read all the time and sometimes talk. Is it more of a future-proof community? Is it more searchable than the Facebook groups? What brings you here?

This is a more direct way of contacting people than FaceBook, and not everyone wishes to have a FaceBook account.

Unless you are reading the FaceBook pages every few minutes or so, it is virtually impossible to see which are the new messages, and which you are interested in, as though they have threads there, they do not have a clear subject matter. Also they are dominated by gaming, not something I am interested in.

Having used Usenet for tha last 30 years or so, I find it far superior to FaceBook...

Cheers - Speccie

Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

<wpydndsdYo9MZxn8nZ2dnUU7-I2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3881&group=comp.sys.apple2#3881

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 04:35:13 -0500
 by: Ant - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 09:35 UTC

Speccie <someone@somewhere.com> wrote:
> Matthew,

> > I am curious as to why CSA2 continues to thrive so . Don't get me wrong, I learn a tremendous amount from CSA2's immediate answers and also it's decades of accessible discussions. I read all the time and sometimes talk. Is it more of a future-proof community? Is it more searchable than the Facebook groups? What brings you here?

> This is a more direct way of contacting people than FaceBook, and not everyone wishes to have a FaceBook account.

> Unless you are reading the FaceBook pages every few minutes or so, it is virtually impossible to see which are the new messages, and which you are interested in, as though they have threads there, they do not have a clear subject matter. Also they are dominated by gaming, not something I am interested in.

> Having used Usenet for tha last 30 years or so, I find it far superior to FaceBook...

> Cheers - Speccie

Many old stuff still work well. I even use old school BitchX, text mode, shell accounts, etc.
--
Dang crazy life! :/
| |o o| |

Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

<alpine.DEB.2.21.2111050715001.27134@sd-119843.dedibox.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3882&group=comp.sys.apple2#3882

From: usots...@buric.co (Steve Nickolas)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 07:15:33 -0400
 by: Steve Nickolas - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 11:15 UTC

On Fri, 5 Nov 2021, Ant wrote:

> Many old stuff still work well. I even use old school BitchX, text mode,
> shell accounts, etc.

irssi is more up my alley (the UI is fairly similar).

-uso.

Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

<cd6aa7f0-c76c-42e3-987f-0d500b40cbc3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3883&group=comp.sys.apple2#3883

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 08:03:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: barrym95...@yahoo.com (barrym95838)
 by: barrym95838 - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 15:03 UTC

On Wednesday, October 27, 2021 at 11:36:57 PM UTC-7, apu...@weygants.net wrote:
> I mainly lurk here these days to improve my Italian. The years of Apple II knowledge available is just a bonus. ;)
LOL. Same here.

Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

<DDAAB3D9.4D748%hughhood@earthlink.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3884&group=comp.sys.apple2#3884

Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 10:11:37 -0500
From: hughh...@earthlink.net (Hugh Hood)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
 by: Hugh Hood - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 15:11 UTC

I wholeheartedly agree with Ewen when it comes to the question of why CSA2
not only endures but is also the preferred medium for some of us Apple II
stalwarts.

To his comments I would add that (standing the old proverb on its head)
sometimes a word is worth a thousand pictures. ;-)

Hugh Hood

in article 0001HW.2735195104A2DD487000070D92EF@eu.astraweb.com, Speccie at
someone@somewhere.com wrote on 11/5/21 2:48 AM:

> Matthew,
>
>> I am curious as to why CSA2 continues to thrive so . Don't get me wrong, I
>> learn a tremendous amount from CSA2's immediate answers and also it's decades
>> of accessible discussions. I read all the time and sometimes talk. Is it more
>> of a future-proof community? Is it more searchable than the Facebook groups?
>> What brings you here?
>
> This is a more direct way of contacting people than FaceBook, and not everyone
> wishes to have a FaceBook account.
>
> Unless you are reading the FaceBook pages every few minutes or so, it is
> virtually impossible to see which are the new messages, and which you are
> interested in, as though they have threads there, they do not have a clear
> subject matter. Also they are dominated by gaming, not something I am
> interested in.
>
> Having used Usenet for tha last 30 years or so, I find it far superior to
> FaceBook...
>
> Cheers - Speccie

Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

<B8CdnYXV19HoiRv8nZ2dnUU7-K-dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3885&group=comp.sys.apple2#3885

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 00:36:53 -0500
 by: Ant - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 05:36 UTC

Steve Nickolas <usotsuki@buric.co> wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Nov 2021, Ant wrote:

> > Many old stuff still work well. I even use old school BitchX, text mode,
> > shell accounts, etc.

> irssi is more up my alley (the UI is fairly similar).

Uso, I can't get into irssi. :( BitchX still works so I will keep using it for now.
--
Dang crazy life! :/
| |o o| |

Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

<0001HW.27366AD604F1F7947000049162EF@eu.astraweb.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3886&group=comp.sys.apple2#3886

From: some...@somewhere.com (Speccie)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 07:48:38 +0000
 by: Speccie - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 07:48 UTC

On 5 Nov 2021, Hugh Hood wrote:

> I wholeheartedly agree with Ewen when it comes to the question of why CSA2
> not only endures but is also the preferred medium for some of us Apple II
> stalwarts.
>
> To his comments I would add that (standing the old proverb on its head)
> sometimes a word is worth a thousand pictures. ;-)

Thanks Hugh.

<blatant plug for my software follows>

Though I tend to use news readers on the Mac to interface with Usenet, such as Thoth or Hogwasher, I can always use my own SNAP to access Usenet on the IIgs:

https://speccie.uk/software/snap/

If anyone is going online with a IIgs, working with files, or even just wants to easily disassemble an app, they ought to check out my pages for a host of useful utilities from a web browser to a Hex/Dec/Oct calculator:

http://speccie.uk/software/

</end blatant plug>

Cheers - Speccie

Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

<64e70695-202f-4627-ae22-ccdbb2ce3006n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3887&group=comp.sys.apple2#3887

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 10:41:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: james.ha...@gmail.com (James Hall [VE3MYZ] FN25dj. 73)
 by: James Hall [VE3MYZ] - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 17:41 UTC

Hi, Comp.sys.Apple2.

I use CSA2 to keep in touch with the A2 community. I can see what is happening and add my 2 cents. I pose questions, and most of the time i get helpful responses.

I have been using CSA2 since the early 90's and continue to learn things about the Apple ][ i did not know. Also, i have spent sometime searching older posts for information and links to questions i have had about the Apple 2, so it is a good library for Apple 2 resources. I have the group's digest sent to my email account. I always look forward to seeing the digest in my email.

Apple ][ Forever.

73 ve3myz [james]

Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

<yuba6igo7i7.fsf@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3888&group=comp.sys.apple2#3888

From: awande...@gmail.com (awanderin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 23:32:48 -0600
 by: awanderin - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 05:32 UTC

barrym95838 <barrym95838@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Wednesday, October 27, 2021 at 11:36:57 PM UTC-7, apu...@weygants.net wrote:
>> I mainly lurk here these days to improve my Italian. The years of Apple II knowledge
>> available is just a bonus. ;)
> LOL. Same here.

:) I mostly lurk too, though I can't say my Italian is improving.

I've been using Usenet since 1988 (comp.sys.apple), when even my
university didn't have an always-on internet connection.

I like the organization of Usenet, including the way that the message
threads work (I read this using Gnus on Emacs).

Jerry awanderin at gmail dot com

Re: Why do you use Usenet (CSA2)?

<0360ecf5-7ef8-4d64-9ef5-bf4462868583n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3889&group=comp.sys.apple2#3889

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 07:14:53 -0800 (PST)
From: martindo...@gmail.com (martin.doherty@undisclosed.com)
 by: martin.doherty@undis - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 15:14 UTC

On Tuesday, October 26, 2021 at 12:06:56 AM UTC-4, matthe...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am curious as to why CSA2 continues to thrive so . Don't get me wrong, I learn a tremendous amount from CSA2's immediate answers and also it's decades of accessible discussions. I read all the time and sometimes talk. Is it more of a future-proof community? Is it more searchable than the Facebook groups? What brings you here?

Yes, for all the reasons you stated. I also value how conversations can occur over a stretch of decades ... people adding something new and relevant to a discussion thread that might have started in the 90's or 80's . There is never a case of "Comments have been closed for this topic" which is common on various social media sites after some time threshold has been reached. Related to that, just the ability to travel through deep time to vicariously experience the community interactions that took place 35 - 45 years ago.

-Martin D