From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: [ot] Bluetooth adapter
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 13:56:08 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Wed, 25 May 2022 12:56 UTC

I want to buy a bluetooth dongle to link my Mint desktop machine to a
newly acquired pair of headphones.

The headphones support bluetooth v5.0.

I don't want to spend the earth but I would like suggestions from
anyone that "got it right".

It has to be Linux compliant though. I couldn't care less if it works
with Windows.

Thanks in advance,

Alan

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-104-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of

Re: [ot] Bluetooth adapter

<jf70vgFep1tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3854&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3854

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: [ot] Bluetooth adapter
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 08:40:31 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 25 May 2022 15:40 UTC

pinnerite wrote:
> I want to buy a bluetooth dongle to link my Mint desktop machine to a
> newly acquired pair of headphones.
>
> The headphones support bluetooth v5.0.
>
> I don't want to spend the earth but I would like suggestions from
> anyone that "got it right".
>
> It has to be Linux compliant though. I couldn't care less if it works
> with Windows.

When I search linux bluetooth 5 usb I get plenty of economical hits, $10.

I have no personal experience.

I also encountered an interesting article by someone who didn't research
his purchase.

https://medium.com/nerd-for-tech/how-to-install-unsupported-bluetooth-5-0-dongle-on-linux-4bf34aa99fed
How to install unsupported Bluetooth 5.0 Dongle on Linux

His dongle worked w/ W10 but not linux, so he ID/d the chipset and added
the firmware and met success.

--
Mike Easter

Re: [ot] Bluetooth adapter

<t6m2q2$edq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3857&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3857

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 16:16:01 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 25 May 2022 20:16 UTC

On 5/25/2022 11:40 AM, Mike Easter wrote:
> pinnerite wrote:
>> I want to buy a bluetooth dongle to link my Mint desktop machine to a
>> newly acquired pair of headphones.
>>
>> The headphones support bluetooth v5.0.
>>
>> I don't want to spend the earth but I would like suggestions from
>> anyone that "got it right".
>>
>> It has to be Linux compliant though. I couldn't care less if it works
>> with Windows.
>>
> When I search linux bluetooth 5 usb I get plenty of economical hits, $10.
>
> I have no personal experience.
>
> I also encountered an interesting article by someone who didn't research his purchase.
>
> https://medium.com/nerd-for-tech/how-to-install-unsupported-bluetooth-5-0-dongle-on-linux-4bf34aa99fed  How to install unsupported Bluetooth 5.0 Dongle on Linux
>
> His dongle worked w/ W10 but not linux, so he ID/d the chipset and added the firmware and met success.

The Bluetooth industry never changes, in terms of helping
customers.

They provide so little information on the trade side, you can't
make an informed purchase.

It's almost like "since $10 is twaddle, we're not helping you".

Both Asus and Edimax use Realtek for their nano dongle, and the
price is quite different. Presumably this is the middle men
charging for the name. The previous Asus was Broadcom.

The 8761 is not in the list here.

https://www.realtek.com/en/products/communications-network-ics/category/bluetooth

There are multiple 8761, and I found one here.

https://usb-ids.gowdy.us/read/UD/0bda/8771

Yet at the level above that, there's no text description.

https://usb-ids.gowdy.us/read/UD/0bda

The article here gives some hints.

https://linuxreviews.org/Realtek_RTL8761B

It's almost like the reason the chip is "invisible" is because
it belongs to an "Android fleet".

https://github.com/Realtek-OpenSource/android_hardware_realtek/tree/rtk1395/bt/rtkbt/Firmware/BT

rtl8761bt_fw

It's like a trip to Junky Jims Surplus and "u-test-em". You find
chunks of old hardware sitting around, you plug it in and test
for smoke.

The good news is, you buy this junk, it's likely to have
some audio profile by default. But we cannot know much more
than that for sure. So for the OP, he is unlikely to get
"burned on Profiles". The headphones will likely work, just
because audio is the most common profile for this junk.

Paul