If God is perfect, why did He create discontinuous functions?

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: More Termux

SubjectAuthor
* More Termuxdb
+* Re: More TermuxVanguardLH
|`* Re: More TermuxAndy Burnelli
| `* Re: More Termuxdb
|  `* Re: More TermuxAndy Burnelli
|   `- Re: More Termuxdb
+- Re: More TermuxAndy Burnelli
+* Re: More TermuxDavid Oseas
|`- Re: More TermuxAndy Burnelli
+* Re: More Termuxdb
|+* Re: More TermuxAndy Burns
||`- Re: More TermuxAndy Burnelli
|`- Re: More TermuxCarlos E.R.
`- Re: More TermuxCarlos E.R.

1
More Termux

<tunciu$3pv9n$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38495&group=comp.mobile.android#38495

From: dieterha...@gmail.com (db)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: More Termux
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 15:39:26 +0100
 by: db - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 14:39 UTC

I have Termux installled, good stuff. But although I have
both an inbuilt storage unit and an SD card, it only sees
the inbuilt one. So does File Manager. How do I access the
SD?

Secondly, I have succeeded in copying files from a laptop
to the phone by connecting via a USB cable. I copied the
files using the GUI. But I prefer typed-in commands at the
console. How do I find the phone? It is not, as with flash
drives, attached to /media/...

--
Dieter Britz

Re: More Termux

<18ep8duf3l3kg.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38496&group=comp.mobile.android#38496

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: More Termux
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 10:07:17 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 15:07 UTC

db <dieterhansbritz@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have Termux installled, good stuff. But although I have both an
> inbuilt storage unit and an SD card, it only sees the inbuilt one. So
> does File Manager. How do I access the SD?
>
> Secondly, I have succeeded in copying files from a laptop to the
> phone by connecting via a USB cable. I copied the files using the
> GUI. But I prefer typed-in commands at the console. How do I find the
> phone? It is not, as with flash drives, attached to /media/...

If you used the SD card to extend the internal volume (you "adopted" the
SD card), the SD card is no longer accessible separately. Or perhaps
you've yet to format the SD card, so a volume can be defined on it.

https://support.google.com/android/answer/12153449?hl=en
https://source.android.com/docs/core/storage/adoptable

On some phones, the USB port is configured as only a charging port (and
on some phones that is all you get). There may be an Android setting to
switch to data mode. Also, there may be a setting to switch between PTP
and MTP transfer modes. Use MTP mode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Transfer_Protocol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol

Sorry, but "GUI" doesn't say just what app you used. Maybe you meant
the Termux app. I have no experience with that app.

Re: More Termux

<tunejd$2ibek$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38497&group=comp.mobile.android#38497

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 15:14:03 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 15:14 UTC

db wrote:

> I have Termux installled, good stuff. But although I have
> both an inbuilt storage unit and an SD card, it only sees
> the inbuilt one. So does File Manager. How do I access the
> SD?

We have covered multiple times that file managers are different in their
abilities so my suggestion is to first get one of the more capable file
managers (which you can find reviews of in this newsgroup's archives).
<http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>

Here's just one screenshot of a capable file manager showing the sd card.
<https://i.postimg.cc/yYWwgGmy/webdav12.jpg> File manager showing SD1

> Secondly, I have succeeded in copying files from a laptop
> to the phone by connecting via a USB cable. I copied the
> files using the GUI. But I prefer typed-in commands at the
> console. How do I find the phone? It is not, as with flash
> drives, attached to /media/...

We covered how to mount the Android phone onto Windows so that it shows up
as a normal drive so many times on this newsgroup that I'm tired of it.
<http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>

Suffice to say that once you mount Android onto Windows, all the batch
files in the world can't tell the difference between the entire Android
file system (yes, not just the user writeable areas but the /system too)
and the rest of the Windows file system.

Here's just one of the screenshots from the many tutorials on this topic.
<https://i.postimg.cc/BvJdKWzt/webdav06.jpg> Both SD's mounted on Windows
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to faithfully try to help the original poster.

Re: More Termux

<tungjr$2ihuo$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38499&group=comp.mobile.android#38499

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 15:48:25 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 15:48 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> If you used the SD card to extend the internal volume (you "adopted" the
> SD card), the SD card is no longer accessible separately. Or perhaps
> you've yet to format the SD card, so a volume can be defined on it.
>
> https://support.google.com/android/answer/12153449?hl=en
> https://source.android.com/docs/core/storage/adoptable

Hi VanguardLH,
It's been _my_ experience (yours may differ) that when you buy an sd card,
it's already formatted for use as "portable" (i.e., not "adoptable").
<https://i.postimg.cc/j2VCtRPX/sdcard02.jpg> $20 128GB SanDisk sdcard

We covered this topic in gory details many times in the past on this ng.
<https://i.postimg.cc/QN6nY1H5/sdcard09.jpg> Using portable storage

If that holds true for the OP, he would have mentioned that he had to
explicitly run the rather technical commands to convert it to adoptable).
<https://i.postimg.cc/zD9P15FX/sdcard11.jpg>

Personally, while it could be useful in some corner cases, I've never known
anyone to use adoptable storage in Android on a regular basis. Have you?

In my experience, not seeing SD cards is a file manager limitation which I
have never bothered to figure out as some of my file managers, even today,
do not see my (portable) sd card, while others (the better ones) do.
<https://i.postimg.cc/Hxj3qWZS/filemgr01.jpg> File managers differ

We discussed this many times on this newsgroup so I'm kind of tired of it.
<http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>

> On some phones, the USB port is configured as only a charging port (and
> on some phones that is all you get). There may be an Android setting to
> switch to data mode. Also, there may be a setting to switch between PTP
> and MTP transfer modes. Use MTP mode.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Transfer_Protocol
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol

We've covered in gory detail in the past all the settings to define how the
sd card is treated when you plug the phone into another computer.
<https://i.postimg.cc/JnDTWH9M/usb01.jpg> USB default settings

> Sorry, but "GUI" doesn't say just what app you used. Maybe you meant
> the Termux app. I have no experience with that app.

He can access almost his entire phone, including the read-only file system,
from Windows, over Wi-Fi or over USB (his choice) if he reads the archives.
<http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>

Re: More Termux

<tunneg$3s688$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38509&group=comp.mobile.android#38509

From: doseas{n...@usa.net (David Oseas)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 10:44:48 -0700
 by: David Oseas - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 17:44 UTC

On 3/13/2023 7:39 AM, db wrote:
> I have Termux installled, good stuff. But although I have
> both an inbuilt storage unit and an SD card, it only sees
> the inbuilt one.

Some phones use "adoptable storage", which concatenates the SD card
container to the internal storage.

For phones without adoptable storage (i.e., Samsungs and some others),
the internal storage ("emulated SD card") and external storage are at
different mount points.

On my old Samsung Galaxy S8 (the last phone I own that offered SD
storage), the paths are:
internal: /sdcard/
external: /storage/{SN}/ where {SN} is the "serial no" of the card, in
the format 1234-5678

> Secondly, I have succeeded in copying files from a laptop
> to the phone by connecting via a USB cable. I copied the
> files using the GUI. But I prefer typed-in commands at the
> console. How do I find the phone? It is not, as with flash
> drives, attached to /media/...

Unfortunately, Windows no longer supports mounting the phone's storage
with a drive letter. The best workaround that I've found is to run
"WiFi Pro FTP Server" on the phone and access the filesystem via
"WinSCP" or a console-based FTP client on Windows, as detailed in this
video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7yMKXHlwFQ

Regards,
-David

Re: More Termux

<tunnvs$2jamn$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38510&group=comp.mobile.android#38510

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 17:54:18 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 17:54 UTC

David Oseas wrote:

> Unfortunately, Windows no longer supports mounting the phone's storage
> with a drive letter. The best workaround that I've found is to run
> "WiFi Pro FTP Server" on the phone and access the filesystem via
> "WinSCP" or a console-based FTP client on Windows, as detailed in this
> video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7yMKXHlwFQ

We've covered in vast gory detail EVERY SINGLE METHOD of connecting Android
to Windows 10 as a drive letter so the best bet is to look in the archives.
<http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>

For example, if you feel you want to use FTP, we've covered FTPUse already.
<https://www.ferrobackup.com/map-ftp-as-disk.html>

Here is the descriptive text (but I wouldn't use FTPUse myself as far
better solutions exist than relying on ports 21/22 for your file copies).
FtpUse: Map a FTP server as a Local Disk Drive
Windows Command to Mount a Remote Share as a Local Hard Drive
using the FTP protocol

The FTPUSE command maps a remote share (FTP server) as a local drive,
so you can use the FTP server of your choice as a local hard drive.

FTPUSE is a free application which was developed during production
of the endpoint backup solution Ferro Backup System,
but disks mapped using FTPUSE can be accessed by any application
(e.g. Windows Explorer, Total Commander, MS-DOS command shell).

Re: More Termux

<tuq0gv$c5gm$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38525&group=comp.mobile.android#38525

From: dieterha...@gmail.com (db)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 15:31:59 +0100
 by: db - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 14:31 UTC

On 13.03.2023 16.48, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> VanguardLH wrote:
[...]

> We covered this topic in gory details many times in the past on this ng.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/QN6nY1H5/sdcard09.jpg> Using portable storage

Does this mean the gory past details are available? I sometimes
lose postings because I set a limit to how many I see, and it
would then be handy to go and get them.
[...]
> He can access almost his entire phone, including the read-only file
> system, from Windows, over Wi-Fi or over USB (his choice) if he reads
> the archives.

I work under Linux (Kubuntu); I just mention this.

--
Dieter Britz

Re: More Termux

<tuq0rv$c5gm$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38527&group=comp.mobile.android#38527

From: dieterha...@gmail.com (db)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 15:37:51 +0100
 by: db - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 14:37 UTC

On 13.03.2023 15.39, db wrote:
> I have Termux installled, good stuff. But although I have
> both an inbuilt storage unit and an SD card, it only sees
> the inbuilt one. So does File Manager. How do I access the
> SD?
>
> Secondly, I have succeeded in copying files from a laptop
> to the phone by connecting via a USB cable. I copied the
> files using the GUI. But I prefer typed-in commands at the
> console. How do I find the phone? It is not, as with flash
> drives, attached to /media/...

I got multiple answers to the first question but not the
second. I should have mentioned that I work under Linux.
So, working from the terminal (console), having connected
the phone, what might it be called?

When I plug in a flash drive, it is called /media/..<something>
and I feel there might be an equivalent name for the phone,
but it isn't /media/...
--
Dieter Britz

Re: More Termux

<k7bk36Fis4dU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38528&group=comp.mobile.android#38528

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 16:01:40 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 16:01 UTC

db wrote:

> When I plug in a flash drive, it is called /media/..<something>
> and I feel there might be an equivalent name for the phone,
> but it isn't /media/...

You'll probably need to create your own mount point, some clues here maybe?

<http://jeromebelleman.gitlab.io/posts/filesystems/photofs/>

Re: More Termux

<tuq8m9$30akr$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38530&group=comp.mobile.android#38530

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 16:51:36 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 16:51 UTC

db wrote:

>> We covered this topic in gory details many times in the past on this ng.
>> <https://i.postimg.cc/QN6nY1H5/sdcard09.jpg> Using portable storage
>
> Does this mean the gory past details are available?

Nobody loses postings if they click on the URL I gave you to click on.

Since I care that you understand and that you can search, here it is again.
<http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>

That link, which clearly you didn't even click on, has _every_ post to this
newsgroup since the very day that this newsgroup was born, does it not?

Hence, there's no excuse since nobody can lose any posts on this newsgroup.

> I sometimes
> lose postings because I set a limit to how many I see, and it
> would then be handy to go and get them.
> [...]
This archive too (but Google dejanews archives are usually where I search).
<https://comp.mobile.android.narkive.com/>

>> He can access almost his entire phone, including the read-only file
>> system, from Windows, over Wi-Fi or over USB (his choice) if he reads
>> the archives.
>
> I work under Linux (Kubuntu); I just mention this.

If you look into the archives, we covered in gory detail how to install
any Linux distro you like (command line & GUI, I believe) using Andronix.
<https://andronix.app/>

To install that Linux on Android doesn't even require being rooted.
<https://github.com/AndronixApp>

And it's free, with no ads, so if you like Linux, you might try that.
*Andronix* - Linux on Android, by Devriz Technologies LLP,In-app purchases
free, adfree, gsf required, rated 3.9 stars, 6.3K reviews, 1M+Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=studio.com.techriz.andronix>

Re: More Termux

<tuqaap$30gfv$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38532&group=comp.mobile.android#38532

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.os.linux
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 17:19:35 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 17:19 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> You'll probably need to create your own mount point, some clues here maybe?
>
> <http://jeromebelleman.gitlab.io/posts/filesystems/photofs/>

Hi Andy,
I searched on my Android 12 Samsung Galaxy for "PTP" and "MTP" in the
settings, and strangely enough, they are not listed anywhere anymore.

When did those MTP/PTP options disappear from the Android USB settings?
I think they existed last time I had tested all possible ways to mount the
Android file system onto Windows for read access to almost the entire sys.
*Mounting an android device*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/h77gTrLz-Vg/>
a. FTP servers
b. HTTP servers/WebDAV servers
c. SMB/Cifs/Samba clients
d. MTPfs/LibMTP tools
e. KDEConnect tools
f. NitroShare tools
g. Kies tools
h. Vysor/Scrcpy
etc.

E.g., WebDav & FTPUse can mount the Android filesys as a Windows drive.
<https://i.postimg.cc/gcKXV6F7/webdav16.jpg> A third free WebDAV server

Even so, if the OP has a Windows computer, isn't the easiest option to see
his sd card to simply load a file manager that sees the SD by default and
which provides the full filespec to the files on the sd card?
<https://i.postimg.cc/ZK4pNMTx/sdcard12.jpg> Full filespec to sd content

That's what I do when I need the full filespec to use in a Windows batch
although Lord knows I've run into strange things too I don't understand.
<https://i.postimg.cc/tT2H9zjb/sdcard13.jpg> Windows adb reads ext storage

There are other options for the OP, by the way, if he's a Linux guru...
<https://i.postimg.cc/90z75Fh8/andronix01.jpg> androix linux distro
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to faithfully try to help the original poster.

Re: More Termux

<51r6ejx5lt.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38539&group=comp.mobile.android#38539

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 19:29:25 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 18:29 UTC

On 2023-03-13 15:39, db wrote:
> I have Termux installled, good stuff. But although I have
> both an inbuilt storage unit and an SD card, it only sees
> the inbuilt one. So does File Manager. How do I access the
> SD?

No permission, I think.

Applications in Android can only see some directories.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: More Termux

<mqq6ejx5lt.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38540&group=comp.mobile.android#38540

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 19:25:58 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 18:25 UTC

On 2023-03-14 15:37, db wrote:
> On 13.03.2023 15.39, db wrote:
>> I have Termux installled, good stuff. But although I have
>> both an inbuilt storage unit and an SD card, it only sees
>> the inbuilt one. So does File Manager. How do I access the
>> SD?
>>
>> Secondly, I have succeeded in copying files from a laptop
>> to the phone by connecting via a USB cable. I copied the
>> files using the GUI. But I prefer typed-in commands at the
>> console. How do I find the phone? It is not, as with flash
>> drives, attached to /media/...
>>

> I got multiple answers to the first question but not the
> second. I should have mentioned that I work under Linux.
> So, working from the terminal (console), having connected
> the phone, what might it be called?
>
> When I plug in a flash drive, it is called /media/..<something>
> and I feel there might be an equivalent name for the phone,
> but it isn't /media/...

It won't be.

The phone filesystem is no longer visible to computers, it can not be
mounted "per se".

Instead, the phone uses a protocol called MTP/PTP:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol

....although phone now may only say "(use usb for) file transfer/photo
transfer".

In Linux, this protocol is implemented by the desktop, or certain CLI
tools (I have forgotten the name; I seem to recall it uses fusemount in
userland). So you have to browse in the GUI file browser to the phone
and open it. Under XFCE, then use Thunar; it opens as:

mtp://motorola_moto_g52_.../Almacenamiento interno compartido/

(internal/external storage)

which then you can open in the terminal:

cer@Telcontar:~> ls /run/user/1000/gvfs/mtp\:host\=motorola_moto_g52_../
Almacenamiento interno compartido
cer@Telcontar:~>

Notice that not all operations of a Linux filesystem are supported. You
can read/write whole files, rename... random access no, AFAIK.

The idea of this is that you do not get the Android filesystem under
your full control, and that Android continues running normally while
connected to the computer, and in control.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: More Termux

<tuscmt$sdep$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38563&group=comp.mobile.android#38563

From: dieterha...@gmail.com (db)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 13:12:13 +0100
 by: db - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 12:12 UTC

On 14.03.2023 17.51, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> db wrote:
>
>>> We covered this topic in gory details many times in the past on this ng.
>>> <https://i.postimg.cc/QN6nY1H5/sdcard09.jpg> Using portable storage
>>
>> Does this mean the gory past details are available?
>
> Nobody loses postings if they click on the URL I gave you to click on.
>
> Since I care that you understand and that you can search, here it is again.
> <http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>
[...]
Thanks, and you are right, I should have clicked on it when I
saw it first. And I guess that goes for all ng's, good to know.

--
Dieter Britz