The earth is like a tiny grain of sand, only much, much heavier.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Last Termux question

SubjectAuthor
* Last Termux questiondb
+* Re: Last Termux questionCarlos E.R.
|`* Re: Last Termux questionEric Pozharski
| `- Re: Last Termux questionAndy Burnelli
`- Re: Last Termux questionVanguardLH

1
Last Termux question

<tusdck$sdep$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38564&group=comp.mobile.android#38564

From: dieterha...@gmail.com (db)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Last Termux question
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 13:23:48 +0100
 by: db - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 12:23 UTC

Last question, and I hope you lot are not sick of me.
Under Linux, I can let the system complete filenames
if they are unique. E.g. if I want to look at a file
called abcde.txt all I have to type iin is
> more ab
and hit the TAB key, and if the file name is unique,
the system completes the entry for me, or goes as
far as it can. Very handy for long file names.

Is there an equivalent way to do this under Termux?
That would be even handier, because typing into the
tiny phone keyboard with my thick fingers is worse
than typing into the laptop.
--
Dieter Britz

Re: Last Termux question

<5er8ejxji8.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38565&group=comp.mobile.android#38565

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Last Termux question
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 13:48:37 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 12:48 UTC

On 2023-03-15 13:23, db wrote:
> Last question, and I hope you lot are not sick of me.
> Under Linux, I can let the system complete filenames
> if they are unique. E.g. if I want to look at a file
> called abcde.txt all I have to type iin is
> > more ab
> and hit the TAB key, and if the file name is unique,
> the system completes the entry for me, or goes as
> far as it can. Very handy for long file names.
>
> Is there an equivalent way to do this under Termux?
> That would be even handier, because typing into the
> tiny phone keyboard with my thick fingers is worse
> than typing into the laptop.

You need to install a different keyboard, one for termux that includes
the tab key.

I saw it once, but I have forgotten it.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Last Termux question

<1qikxe9nz2yje$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38567&group=comp.mobile.android#38567

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 10:34:12 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 15:34 UTC

db <dieterhansbritz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Under Linux, I can let the system complete filenames
> if they are unique. E.g. if I want to look at a file
> called abcde.txt all I have to type iin is
> > more ab
> and hit the TAB key, and if the file name is unique,
> the system completes the entry for me, or goes as
> far as it can. Very handy for long file names.
>
> Is there an equivalent way to do this under Termux?
> That would be even handier, because typing into the
> tiny phone keyboard with my thick fingers is worse
> than typing into the laptop.

https://wiki.termux.com/wiki/Touch_Keyboard

That mentions using the volume buttons to get at keys that aren't shown
in the keyboard panel, like VolumeUp+T for Tab. Apparently Tab is also
in the extra keys row, but you have to use the left/right chevrons to
slide the entries into view. You could check if using Tab does the
autocomplete (aka prediction).

The article also discusses how to use Text Input View to perhaps get the
input prediction function.

I don't know which shell that Termux uses (bash, c-shell, etc). I've
seen articles talking about using zsh in Termux, and zsh has
autocomplete.

https://steemit.com/utopian-io/@faisalamin/tutorial-1-how-to-download-install-run-and-use-fish-shell-in-termux-also-work-for-non-rooted-devices

That mentions using the right-arrow key for autosuggestion. However,
the article does also mention installing a different keyboard, like
Carlos suggested. The hyperlink to the Hacker Keyboard app doesn't work
for me. Maybe it is supposed to take you to:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard

The steemit article says to enable the Hacker Keyboard as an input
method. I couldn't find that entry in settings, but did find it under
Settings -> General -> Language & Input -> Current Keyboard -> Manage
Keyboards. After installing the Hacker Keyboard app, it should get
added as an available input method.

As the article illustrates, it takes a lot of shit to get all of this
setup, including all the support libs, like Python.

Re: Last Termux question

<slrnu15r4d.rp6.whynot@orphan.zombinet>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38597&group=comp.mobile.android#38597

From: why...@pozharski.name (Eric Pozharski)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 10:16:45 +0000
 by: Eric Pozharski - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 10:16 UTC

with <5er8ejxji8.ln2@Telcontar.valinor> Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-03-15 13:23, db wrote:

*SKIP*
>> Is there an equivalent way to do this under Termux? That would be
>> even handier, because typing into the tiny phone keyboard with my
>> thick fingers is worse than typing into the laptop.
> You need to install a different keyboard, one for termux that includes
> the tab key.
> I saw it once, but I have forgotten it.

My guess is you're suggesting "Hacker's Keyboard" (aka
org.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard, available at your friendly fdroid).

I'm inclined to recommend 8Vim (aka inc.flide.vi8, same source), but
brace yourself -- utterly different beast.

Just in case you wonder: yes, both are dead.

Re: Last Termux question

<tuvc1n$3qe08$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38601&group=comp.mobile.android#38601

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 15:19:33 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 15:19 UTC

Eric Pozharski wrote:

> My guess is you're suggesting "Hacker's Keyboard" (aka
> org.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard, available at your friendly fdroid).

I tested all the known free keyboards long ago, which are in the archives.
<http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>

That was so long ago I don't remember all the pros & cons of each; but I
just checked which keyboard I had settled upon & it is this FOSS keyboard.

*OpenBoard* Privacy Focused Open Source Keyboard by dslul, FOSS
free, ad free, gsf free, 3.8star, 2.41K reviews, 100K+Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.dslul.openboard.inputmethod.latin>
<https://f-droid.org/packages/org.dslul.openboard.inputmethod.latin/>
<https://github.com/dslul/openboard>

There's no mention of a customizable TAB button in the Google Play blurb.
Looking at the Github description I don't see mention of tab either.
<https://github.com/openboard-team/openboard#readme>

Don't see it here either but it's a FOSS app so it may be there.
<https://www.ghacks.net/2021/06/01/openboard-is-a-privacy-friendly-keyboard-for-android/>

There is mention of adding tab keys here though:
<https://github.com/openboard-team/openboard/issues/318>

"Feature Request: TAB key #284"
<https://github.com/openboard-team/openboard/issues/284>

I don't know how to find the status of that feature request though.