I am the wandering glitch -- catch me if you can.

computers / comp.sys.apple2 / Re: Dual booting an Apple MacBook Pro

SubjectAuthor
* Dual booting an Apple MacBook Promagnusfalkirk
+* Re: Dual booting an Apple MacBook ProYour Name
|`- Re: Dual booting an Apple MacBook Promagnusfalkirk
`- Re: Dual booting an Apple MacBook ProAnt

1
Dual booting an Apple MacBook Pro

<4f702d06-963b-41b2-a445-cb9f21f72c76n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3868&group=comp.sys.apple2#3868

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 16:19:45 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Dual booting an Apple MacBook Pro
From: dean.pha...@gmail.com (magnusfalkirk)
 by: magnusfalkirk - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 23:19 UTC

I have both an Apple IIGS with a CFFA3k and an Apple //c+, now with a FloppyEMU. Unfortunately both of them are packed away So I've been using my 2014 MacBook Pro running emulators to run both regular Apple II and GS software.. So I've been using Virtual II and Sweet 16. Since I upgraded to Catalina, and then Big Sur, I haven't been able to use Sweet 16. I've used KEGS, GSPort and GSPlus to run GS software but I really prefer Sweet 16.

I understand that Sheppy has had health problems, and some other things going on. So he hasn't been able to work on Sweet 16. So with that in mind I started looking online to find info about some how getting Sweet 16 running again. I found an article on Macworld uk talking about dual booting Macs. So I decided to give it a try.

I set up a second volume on my drive and downloaded Macos Mojave. Followed the instructions to make a bootable usb and Hooray! it worked. So I now have a version of Mojave running on my MacBook Pro and am able to run Sweet 16 again.

magnus

Re: Dual booting an Apple MacBook Pro

<sli14t$18lh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3869&group=comp.sys.apple2#3869

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Subject: Re: Dual booting an Apple MacBook Pro
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 12:46:37 +1300
 by: Your Name - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 23:46 UTC

On 2021-10-29 23:19:45 +0000, magnusfalkirk said:

> I have both an Apple IIGS with a CFFA3k and an Apple //c+, now with a
> FloppyEMU. Unfortunately both of them are packed away So I've been
> using my 2014 MacBook Pro running emulators to run both regular Apple
> II and GS software. So I've been using Virtual II and Sweet 16. Since I
> upgraded to Catalina, and then Big Sur, I haven't been able to use
> Sweet 16. I've used KEGS, GSPort and GSPlus to run GS software but I
> really prefer Sweet 16.
>
> I understand that Sheppy has had health problems, and some other things
> going on. So he hasn't been able to work on Sweet 16. So with that in
> mind I started looking online to find info about some how getting Sweet
> 16 running again. I found an article on Macworld uk talking about dual
> booting Macs. So I decided to give it a try.
>
> I set up a second volume on my drive and downloaded Macos Mojave.
> Followed the instructions to make a bootable usb and Hooray! it worked.
> So I now have a version of Mojave running on my MacBook Pro and am able
> to run Sweet 16 again.
>
> magnus

There can be issues running two versions of MacOS if you have any
drives in the older filesystem format.

You could use a virtualisation app (VMWare Fusion has a free version
for home use) to run the older MacOS inside the newer one. It does of
course use up more memory / resources running two MacOS versions at the
same time and I don't know if there's a noticable perfomance hit
running the Apple II emulation inside Mojave virtualisation inside Big
Sur.

Re: Dual booting an Apple MacBook Pro

<76d603c4-8852-43fb-88ab-01bdbe7edbfen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3870&group=comp.sys.apple2#3870

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 17:59:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: dean.pha...@gmail.com (magnusfalkirk)
 by: magnusfalkirk - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 00:59 UTC

On Friday, October 29, 2021 at 6:46:39 PM UTC-5, Your Name wrote:
> There can be issues running two versions of MacOS if you have any
> drives in the older filesystem format.
>
> You could use a virtualisation app (VMWare Fusion has a free version
> for home use) to run the older MacOS inside the newer one. It does of
> course use up more memory / resources running two MacOS versions at the
> same time and I don't know if there's a noticable perfomance hit
> running the Apple II emulation inside Mojave virtualisation inside Big
> Sur.

I haven't checked out VMWare Fusion, guess I should. The only problem I have is that Mojave doesn't recognize the SSD, since it was set up with Big Sur when I upgraded to that, so it doesn't show up on the Mojave desktop, but if I open my external SSD I can get to the internal SSD that way. A little bit of rigamarole but it works.
magnus

Re: Dual booting an Apple MacBook Pro

<8ZednSVV8M6irOD8nZ2dnUU7-I2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3871&group=comp.sys.apple2#3871

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 06:49:19 -0500
 by: Ant - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 11:49 UTC

magnusfalkirk <dean.phares@gmail.com> wrote:
> I understand that Sheppy has had health problems, and some other things going on. So he hasn't been able to work on Sweet 16. So with that in mind I started looking online to find info about some how getting Sweet 16 running again. I found an article on Macworld uk talking about dual booting Macs. So I decided to give it a try.

He should open source his codes for others to take over if is health is degrading to keep his project alive.

--
Dang Moderna booster shot is taking me down again with the same symptoms, but longer! Horror! Worst COVID-19 shot ever so far. Will my weak body recovered by spooky Halloween?
| |o o| |

computers / comp.sys.apple2 / Re: Dual booting an Apple MacBook Pro