Keep the number of passes in a compiler to a minimum. -- D. Gries

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

SubjectAuthor
* Using whatsapp without SIMmicky
+* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMJoerg Lorenz
|`* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMmicky
| +* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMmicky
| |+* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMCarlos E.R.
| ||`- Re: Using whatsapp without SIMmicky
| |`* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMJoerg Lorenz
| | `* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMmicky
| |  `- Re: Using whatsapp without SIMSteve Hayes
| +* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMJoerg Lorenz
| |+* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMCarlos E.R.
| ||`* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMJoerg Lorenz
| || `- Re: Using whatsapp without SIMCarlos E.R.
| |`- Re: Using whatsapp without SIMmicky
| `* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMRichmond
|  `* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMmicky
|   `- Re: Using whatsapp without SIMCarlos E.R.
+* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMCarlos E.R.
|`* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMAndy Burnelli
| +- Re: Using whatsapp without SIMCarlos E.R.
| `* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMmicky
|  `* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMAndy Burnelli
|   `* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMmicky
|    +- Re: Using whatsapp without SIMAndy Burnelli
|    `* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMCarlos E.R.
|     `* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMAndy Burnelli
|      `* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMCarlos E.R.
|       `* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMAndy Burnelli
|        `- Re: Using whatsapp without SIMCarlos E.R.
+* Re: Using whatsapp without SIMSteve Hayes
|`- Re: Using whatsapp without SIMCarlos E.R.
`- Re: Using whatsapp without SIMJason H

Pages:12
Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<dvg11il8pjo96u8e4mt5rsrsjbk1fn7brb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38544&group=comp.mobile.android#38544

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Using whatsapp without SIM
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 15:18:27 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 19:18 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 13 Mar 2023 07:36:49 +0100, Joerg Lorenz
<hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

>Am 12.03.23 um 19:59 schrieb micky:

>>> Perhaps he does not want to be disturbed.
>>
>> Much more likely he doesn't add apps that didn't come with the phone.
>> He uses the cell phone a lot -- it's his only phone -- but grew up when
>> anyone who was traveling, staying in various places, was out of contact
>> with people back home. If in another continent, totally out of contact,
>> so he's used to it and it doesn't bother him. But it bothers me.
>
>Technology never solves social issues.

Are you saying Whatsapp won't enable me to talk to him? Why would that
be? And if you don't mean that, what do you mean?

>> I'll get him to put whatsapp on his phone, but I don't know if I can get
>> him to stop by a hotspot to check if I called.
>
>Technology never solves social issues.

I don't know how you can say that. It's the 1800's and a young family
wants to move west for better opportunities, but they don't want to
abandon their parents, who are getting old. Bingo, the telegraph, then
the telephone. Also the railroad, all ways for them to move and still
keep in contact with their parents back home.

The same thing applies in the year 2023, if I want to move out of town
and I don't want to abandon my mother. In fact, even now, I don't have
to live in the same house with her or on the same block. I can live 8
miles away and call her every day, and she can call me whenever she
wants. We can make video calls if we want. I can drive over in 15
minutes without the need to saddle a horse, without the need to own and
maintain a horse.

And she can live alone with a fob that will enable her to call an
ambulance if she falls and can't get up, or one that will do it without
her doing anything, even if she falls and is unconscious.

If she's too tired or ill to go shopping, she can have her food
delivered right to her door using the telephone or computer.

She can see her doctor in many cases without leaving home, using Zoom.

We can watch news events live or the same day, and become informed about
them, on our televisions and now on our computers and phones.

All these are examples of technology that solves social issues, and
there are many, many more.

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<l5i11ip5oljpfnl36tt4j0poebn013kfm7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38548&group=comp.mobile.android#38548

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 15:30:25 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 19:30 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 13 Mar 2023 23:41:55 +0000, Richmond
<dnomhcir@gmx.com> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> writes:

>>>Perhaps he does not want to be disturbed.
>>
>> Much more likely he doesn't add apps that didn't come with the phone.
>> He uses the cell phone a lot -- it's his only phone -- but grew up when
>> anyone who was traveling, staying in various places, was out of contact
>> with people back home. If in another continent, totally out of contact,
>> so he's used to it and it doesn't bother him. But it bothers me.
>>
>> I'll get him to put whatsapp on his phone, but I don't know if I can get
>> him to stop by a hotspot to check if I called.
>
>You could get him to put element on his phone, and you could put it on
>yours. Then neither a phone number or sim card wouldn't be necessary.
>
>https://element.io/download

Sounds like it could be useful. Thanks.

But it still requires internet access, which I doubt he has.

He's not in a hotel but in a private apartment that his wife bought.
She is penny-wise and pound foolish. Saves money on little things and
then squanders thousands on stupid things. Even stupider than this. In
this case there were valid but no longer applicable reasosn to thhink
they would be going frequently to this foreign city, so she bought a
2-bedroom apartment. Which now sits vacant 10 or 11 months a year.

>Why not send him an email?

Ah, but if he can't get a phone call while away from his USA home, how
could he get an email? Or, put another way: It's even harder for him to
get an email than a phone call.

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<tc67ejx618.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38551&group=comp.mobile.android#38551

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 22:43:25 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 21:43 UTC

On 2023-03-14 20:30, micky wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 13 Mar 2023 23:41:55 +0000, Richmond
> <dnomhcir@gmx.com> wrote:
>
>> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> writes:

> He's not in a hotel but in a private apartment that his wife bought.
> She is penny-wise and pound foolish. Saves money on little things and
> then squanders thousands on stupid things. Even stupider than this. In
> this case there were valid but no longer applicable reasosn to thhink
> they would be going frequently to this foreign city, so she bought a
> 2-bedroom apartment. Which now sits vacant 10 or 11 months a year.

Around here, British are known to own a share of an apartment. Say two
weeks a year.

Others came to live all year here, on their pensions. Was cheaper, and
they had full medical coverage (prior to Brexit).

>> Why not send him an email?
>
> Ah, but if he can't get a phone call while away from his USA home, how
> could he get an email? Or, put another way: It's even harder for him to
> get an email than a phone call.

Hum.

20 years ago, it was easier and cheaper to send an email very long
distance than anything with a mobile phone :-)

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<65oa1i14rsktfrkqhi6q4mqgaf7d38vqj0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38703&group=comp.mobile.android#38703

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 08:59:59 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 06:59 UTC

On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 04:50:34 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>If someone doesn't have a sim for the country he's in, but he can stop
>by some place with wifi, can he pick up messages that have been left for
>him using Whatsapp? Voice messages? Text messages (even though I
>dislike sending text messages)?
>
>When my brother goers out of the country, he's incommunicado but maybe
>not on purpose.

My phone died (the touch screen stopped working), so I took the SIM
out and put it in a new phone, but I did not install WhatsApp on the
new phone, and use the old phone simply as a clock.

I still got WhatApp messages and noficiations on the old phone, even
though there was no SIM and I could not read them. It now tells me I
will no longer get WhatsApp messages on the old phone because the date
is wrong, though it isn't wrong, and I still keep it charged to show
the time.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<cprgejxlqs.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38716&group=comp.mobile.android#38716

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 14:43:40 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 13:43 UTC

On 2023-03-18 07:59, Steve Hayes wrote:

> My phone died (the touch screen stopped working), so I took the SIM
> out and put it in a new phone, but I did not install WhatsApp on the
> new phone, and use the old phone simply as a clock.

If the display works, you may still use that phone with a mouse
connected to the usb port (which uses some battery power).

You can also use a BT mouse, but you still will need to tap the screen
or use a mouse on cable to authorize and activate it.

That way you can make a full backup of WhatsApp on the old phone (on
Google Drive, menu "chats" on WA), and when installing WhatsApp on the
new phone retrieve it.

WhasApp on the new phone may require you to enter a code that it
displays on the old phone for authorization, or perhaps send an SMS to
your new phone. From that instant, the WhatsApp on the old phone stops
working.

> I still got WhatApp messages and noficiations on the old phone, even
> though there was no SIM and I could not read them. It now tells me I
> will no longer get WhatsApp messages on the old phone because the date
> is wrong, though it isn't wrong, and I still keep it charged to show
> the time.

You may need to put the SIM back temporarily so that it "reads" the clock.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<tvcq53$6po8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38867&group=comp.mobile.android#38867

From: DarthPir...@deathstar.gal (Jason H)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 17:39:47 +0000
 by: Jason H - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 17:39 UTC

On 3/12/23 08:50, micky wrote:
> If someone doesn't have a sim for the country he's in, but he can stop
> by some place with wifi, can he pick up messages that have been left for
> him using Whatsapp? Voice messages? Text messages (even though I
> dislike sending text messages)?
>
> When my brother goers out of the country, he's incommunicado but maybe
> not on purpose.

Without the SIM? Probably not. With the SIM? I've used it abroad with
mobile data switched off. Caveat that was some years back.... OK,just
sent a quick test message, from me to shining me, with mobile data off.

If you brother is swapping out the SIM for a local SIM, that should
*not* work. Should work with dual SIM.

Re: Using whatsapp without SIM

<olej2i17oiqcageg779q8gcoqafu12qbsv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39008&group=comp.mobile.android#39008

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2023 19:28:46 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 17:28 UTC

On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 15:16:13 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 13 Mar 2023 07:39:54 +0100, Joerg Lorenz
><hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>
>>Am 12.03.23 um 22:22 schrieb micky:

>>> Well, I've underestimated my brother. He still didn't answer so I had
>>> to call my step-nephew, who tells me my brother is in Peru. AND he can
>>> be reached on whatsapp, so he knew about it.
>>
>>Send him a message that you want to talk to him.
>>If he does not want to talk to you it his right. Respect it.
>
>Huh? There is no reason to think he doens't want to talk to me. Why
>does that even occur to you?

Because you yourself said "He can be reached on Whatsapp, so he knew
about it."

>I'm not an unsolicited salesman; I'm his brother.

So you said, but if he can be reached and knows that you want to talk
to him, and still doesn't respond, it suggests that he doesn't want
to.