From: noos...@noospam.com (John-Smith)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Subject: ST Cube IDE - where is GDB server logging level set?
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 06:52:28 +0100
 by: John-Smith - Sat, 1 May 2021 05:52 UTC

This bit
https://peter-ftp.co.uk/screenshots/202105014411484506.jpg

I posted this on the ST forums and the reply doesn't work, and that's
the end of it - the place gets so many posts, mostly never solved...

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00000jkapcSAA/where-do-i-configure-the-gdb-server-log-level?t=1619251467834

Clearly there are multiple configs for this around the place. The file
config.txt, which in my case is found at

C:\ST\STM32CubeIDE_1.4.0\STM32CubeIDE\plugins\com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.stlink-gdb-server.win32_1.6.0.202101291314\tools\bin
has a value in it but it is commented-out, and anyway has no effect.

The default value is 31 but it somehow got changed to 1 when I was
trying different debugger settings (speeds, jtag or sw, etc).

There is only the one config.txt file in the whole \ST directory.

Many thanks for any ideas :) Not a huge deal, but a slight irritation
to lose the debug output during loading.

Currently I am using STLINK V3, which runs OK at 24MHz and fairly
solidly at 8MHz. The ISOL version (an extra board) runs ok at 8MHz. It
was changing from STLINK V2 to STLINK V3 (which *is* a lot faster)
which produced this mysterious change.

Re: ST Cube IDE - where is GDB server logging level set?

<s6kqgo$r4k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=386&group=comp.arch.embedded#386

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 17:07:53 -0700
 by: Don Y - Sun, 2 May 2021 00:07 UTC

On 4/30/2021 10:52 PM, John-Smith wrote:
> This bit
> https://peter-ftp.co.uk/screenshots/202105014411484506.jpg
>
> I posted this on the ST forums and the reply doesn't work, and that's
> the end of it - the place gets so many posts, mostly never solved...
>
> https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00000jkapcSAA/where-do-i-configure-the-gdb-server-log-level?t=1619251467834
>
> Clearly there are multiple configs for this around the place. The file
> config.txt, which in my case is found at

Does the log file start out with an indication of how it has been
configured?

Are there any pathname referenced in the log file?

Re: ST Cube IDE - where is GDB server logging level set?

<s6kr17$ua4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=387&group=comp.arch.embedded#387

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 17:16:40 -0700
 by: Don Y - Sun, 2 May 2021 00:16 UTC

On 5/1/2021 5:07 PM, Don Y wrote:
> On 4/30/2021 10:52 PM, John-Smith wrote:
>> This bit
>> https://peter-ftp.co.uk/screenshots/202105014411484506.jpg
>>
>> I posted this on the ST forums and the reply doesn't work, and that's
>> the end of it - the place gets so many posts, mostly never solved...
>>
>> https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00000jkapcSAA/where-do-i-configure-the-gdb-server-log-level?t=1619251467834
>>

>> Clearly there are multiple configs for this around the place. The file
>> config.txt, which in my case is found at
>
> Does the log file start out with an indication of how it has been
> configured?

Or invoked?

Perhaps you can look back *up* the process tree to see if there are
any arguments passed to its invocation (?)

> Are there any pathname referenced in the log file?

Re: ST Cube IDE - where is GDB server logging level set?

<s6m1mr$d0l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=388&group=comp.arch.embedded#388

From: noos...@noospam.com (John-Smith)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Date: Sun, 02 May 2021 12:16:43 +0100
 by: John-Smith - Sun, 2 May 2021 11:16 UTC

Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote

>On 5/1/2021 5:07 PM, Don Y wrote:
>> On 4/30/2021 10:52 PM, John-Smith wrote:
>>> This bit
>>> https://peter-ftp.co.uk/screenshots/202105014411484506.jpg
>>>
>>> I posted this on the ST forums and the reply doesn't work, and that's
>>> the end of it - the place gets so many posts, mostly never solved...
>>>
>>> https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00000jkapcSAA/where-do-i-configure-the-gdb-server-log-level?t=1619251467834
>>>

>>> Clearly there are multiple configs for this around the place. The file
>>> config.txt, which in my case is found at
>>
>> Does the log file start out with an indication of how it has been
>> configured?
>
>Or invoked?
>
>Perhaps you can look back *up* the process tree to see if there are
>any arguments passed to its invocation (?)
>
>> Are there any pathname referenced in the log file?

In the directory

is a batch file containing this

@echo off
cmd /K "ST-LINK_gdbserver.exe -c config.txt || echo GDB server exited"

and the above executable, and some other stuff.

However this may be totally unrelated to the Cube IDE logging level.

Re: ST Cube IDE - where is GDB server logging level set?

<s6mdg8$vhg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=389&group=comp.arch.embedded#389

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 07:38:00 -0700
 by: Don Y - Sun, 2 May 2021 14:38 UTC

On 5/2/2021 4:16 AM, John-Smith wrote:

> Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote

>>> Does the log file start out with an indication of how it has been
>>> configured?
>>
>> Or invoked?
>>
>> Perhaps you can look back *up* the process tree to see if there are
>> any arguments passed to its invocation (?)
>>
>>> Are there any pathname referenced in the log file?
>>>
> In the directory
>
> is a batch file containing this
>
> @echo off
> cmd /K "ST-LINK_gdbserver.exe -c config.txt || echo GDB server exited"
>
> and the above executable, and some other stuff.
>
> However this may be totally unrelated to the Cube IDE logging level.

Change the name of the file -- temporarily -- and restart the tool.
If the file is actually *doing* something, then you should get a "file
not found" error.

If everything proceeds as normal, then you know it is being started
elsewhere.

[process monitor should let you look back up the process tree to see
the actual command line used]