Steal my cash, car and TV - but leave the computer! -- Soenke Lange <soenke@escher.north.de>

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.

SubjectAuthor
* Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.micky
+- Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.Andy Burnelli
+* Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.sms
|`* Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.Andy Burnelli
| +* Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.Jim S
| |`* Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.sms
| | `* Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.Andy Burnelli
| |  `- Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.MikeS
| `* Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.David Higton
|  +* Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.Andy Burnelli
|  |`- Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.David E. Ross
|  `* Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.sms
|   `* Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.Andy Burnelli
|    `- Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.Incubus
`* Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.micky
 `* Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.Frank Slootweg
  `- Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.sms

1
Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.

<gp822i198mqjbrim9pstkas7kvbnre9ofg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38922&group=comp.mobile.android#38922

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 01:05:42 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 05:05 UTC

I see that there are several ways (apps?) that will cast my smartphone
screen to a tablet, with an even larger screen, right?

But that's not my real question. My question is, Can you cast one app
to a tablet and still be able to switch the focus of the phone to other
apps? For example, coult I cast Google maps or OSMand to the tablet
and still use a different map, or the webbrowser, or something on the
phone?

Is there a name for doing this so I can google for more info about it?
(I'm lucky I know the word "cast".)

Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.

<tvrash$9hql$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38923&group=comp.mobile.android#38923

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 06:51:28 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 05:51 UTC

micky wrote:

> Is there a name for doing this so I can google for more info about it?
> (I'm lucky I know the word "cast".)

I don't use the word "cast", and I don't mirror my Android onto my iOS
tablets, but I do mirror Android on a three-foot wide screen on Windows.
<https://i.postimg.cc/Hnw59ZHm/scrcpy24.jpg> Compare Vysor to scrcpy

I use Vysor or scrcpy freeware, and when I do use them, I can resize
the Android mirror to fit the entire 3-foot wide Windows screen, plus
as you asked, I can interact with both the Android phone & the Android
phone mirrored on the monitor (using the Windows mouse, keyboard &
clipboard).

This works over Wi-Fi or over USB, and it's completely free.

See the archives for tutorials on how to set it up with Windows,
although it works for all PC platforms (macOS & Linux too).

If you add Sndcpy freeware, you also get the audio but I don't bother
normally (I tested sndcpy and it works, but I don't care to do that).

Works for iOS also to mirror the iPad tablet onto my Windows PC.
<https://i.postimg.cc/TYvqdxCT/vysor35.jpg> iOS & Android PC mirroring

Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.

<tvvapl$3rnbd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38926&group=comp.mobile.android#38926

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 11:14:12 -0700
 by: sms - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 18:14 UTC

On 3/26/2023 10:05 PM, micky wrote:
> I see that there are several ways (apps?) that will cast my smartphone
> screen to a tablet, with an even larger screen, right?
>
> But that's not my real question. My question is, Can you cast one app
> to a tablet and still be able to switch the focus of the phone to other
> apps? For example, coult I cast Google maps or OSMand to the tablet
> and still use a different map, or the webbrowser, or something on the
> phone?
>
> Is there a name for doing this so I can google for more info about it?
> (I'm lucky I know the word "cast".)

I don't think that this is possible.

Practically speaking, it would seem to make sense to also just install
whatever Android applications you wanted to run on the tablet. If you
have paid apps or paid content (like the maps for OSMAND) as long as
you have the same Google ID on both devices there is no extra cost for
having the app on two devices. Since Android supports multiple accounts
on a device, if the tablet belongs to someone else then you'd have to
add another Google account that with the same ID (note that this is not
possible on iOS/iPadOS devices because they don't allow multiple
accounts on a single device).

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not

Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.

<tvvcvv$rm1j$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38927&group=comp.mobile.android#38927

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 20:52:00 +0200
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 18:52 UTC

sms wrote:

> On 3/26/2023 10:05 PM, micky wrote:
>> I see that there are several ways (apps?) that will cast my smartphone
>> screen to a tablet, with an even larger screen, right?
>>
>> But that's not my real question. My question is, Can you cast one app
>> to a tablet and still be able to switch the focus of the phone to other
>> apps? For example, coult I cast Google maps or OSMand to the tablet
>> and still use a different map, or the webbrowser, or something on the
>> phone?
>>
>> Is there a name for doing this so I can google for more info about it?
>> (I'm lucky I know the word "cast".)
>
> I don't think that this is possible.
>
> Practically speaking, it would seem to make sense to also just install
> whatever Android applications you wanted to run on the tablet. If you
> have paid apps or paid content (like the maps for OSMAND) as long as
> you have the same Google ID on both devices there is no extra cost for
> having the app on two devices. Since Android supports multiple accounts
> on a device, if the tablet belongs to someone else then you'd have to
> add another Google account that with the same ID (note that this is not
> possible on iOS/iPadOS devices because they don't allow multiple
> accounts on a single device).

Just to be clear, since not everyone knows that OSMAnd+ is free, that Steve
only mentions it as an example of payware, but remember, that payware on
Google Play is free on F-Droid (and it's the exact same app on both cases).

Just FYI... as the rest of what Steve says is likely correct that micky
might not be able to "cast" to a tablet.

Bear in mind, depending on what micky means by the word "cast", I "mirror"
my Android apps (both visually and sound) onto Windows using the FOSS
'screen copy' and 'sound copy' software, where on my three-foot wide
monitor, my phone display is not only huge, but I get the audio from the PC
speakers too.

An example of why that's great is I can watch YouTube documentaries without
ads using FOSS YouTube clients which don't ever show Google advertisements.

BTW, Steve won't see this so he will remain ignorant as he's said the same
ignorant things many times - he is incapable of learning that OSMAnd+ is
free (and there is nothing anyone can do to teach him as he can't learn).

But for anyone else, there is no need to pay for OSMAnd+ software unless
you want to donate, and, guess what - you can always donate at any time.

Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.

<tvvd62$rmgv$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38928&group=comp.mobile.android#38928

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 18:54:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim S - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 18:54 UTC

In article <news:tvvcvv$rm1j$1@paganini.bofh.team>, Andy Burnelli
<nospam@nospam.net> says...

> sms wrote:
>
>> On 3/26/2023 10:05 PM, micky wrote:
>>> I see that there are several ways (apps?) that will cast my smartphone
>>> screen to a tablet, with an even larger screen, right?
>>>
>>> But that's not my real question. My question is, Can you cast one app
>>> to a tablet and still be able to switch the focus of the phone to other
>>> apps? For example, coult I cast Google maps or OSMand to the tablet
>>> and still use a different map, or the webbrowser, or something on the
>>> phone?
>>>
>>> Is there a name for doing this so I can google for more info about it?
>>> (I'm lucky I know the word "cast".)
>>
>> I don't think that this is possible.
>>
>> Practically speaking, it would seem to make sense to also just install
>> whatever Android applications you wanted to run on the tablet. If you
>> have paid apps or paid content (like the maps for OSMAND) as long as
>> you have the same Google ID on both devices there is no extra cost for
>> having the app on two devices. Since Android supports multiple accounts
>> on a device, if the tablet belongs to someone else then you'd have to
>> add another Google account that with the same ID (note that this is not
>> possible on iOS/iPadOS devices because they don't allow multiple
>> accounts on a single device).
>
> Just to be clear, since not everyone knows that OSMAnd+ is free, that Steve
> only mentions it as an example of payware, but remember, that payware on
> Google Play is free on F-Droid (and it's the exact same app on both cases).
>
> Just FYI... as the rest of what Steve says is likely correct that micky
> might not be able to "cast" to a tablet.
>
> Bear in mind, depending on what micky means by the word "cast", I "mirror"
> my Android apps (both visually and sound) onto Windows using the FOSS
> 'screen copy' and 'sound copy' software, where on my three-foot wide
> monitor, my phone display is not only huge, but I get the audio from the PC
> speakers too.
>
> An example of why that's great is I can watch YouTube documentaries without
> ads using FOSS YouTube clients which don't ever show Google advertisements.
>
> BTW, Steve won't see this so he will remain ignorant as he's said the same
> ignorant things many times - he is incapable of learning that OSMAnd+ is
> free (and there is nothing anyone can do to teach him as he can't learn).
>
> But for anyone else, there is no need to pay for OSMAnd+ software unless
> you want to donate, and, guess what - you can always donate at any time.

You'd think he would learn after all these years that osmand+ is free.
--
Jim S

Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.

<a85a618c5a.DaveMeUK@BeagleBoard-xM>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38929&group=comp.mobile.android#38929

From: dav...@davehigton.me.uk (David Higton)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 21:01:10 +0100
 by: David Higton - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 20:01 UTC

In message <tvvcvv$rm1j$1@paganini.bofh.team>
Andy Burnelli <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

> Just to be clear, since not everyone knows that OSMAnd+ is free

Wikipedia claims that OSMAnd is free, and OSMAnd+ is paid.

David

Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.

<tvviga$s8j9$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38930&group=comp.mobile.android#38930

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 16:26:02 -0400
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 20:26 UTC

David Higton wrote:

>> Just to be clear, since not everyone knows that OSMAnd+ is free
>
> Wikipedia claims that OSMAnd is free, and OSMAnd+ is paid.

Sigh. Stupidly frustrates me. I'm sorry, but that's just plain stupid.

As I said a billion times, if you want to, there's nothing wrong with
paying for OSMAnd+ but it's FOSS free so if you really want to help them,
then I'd recommend you _donate_ instead, where you can donate any amount).

If you pay for the free OSMAnd+, Google gets a large percentage of the take
but if you _donate_ to the OSMAnd+ developers, they get _all_ of it.

Why would you pay Google for something you can get for free, and why would
you pay for a free app when you can donate & the developer ends up with
more?

It's just stupid to do what Steve suggested.
Ignorant.
Uneducated.
Stupid.

I'm sick of stupid people like Steve because I don't mind ignorance.
But after all these years, Steve _still_ doesn't know OSMAnd+ is free?

WTF?
Who is that stupid?

Only if you filter out facts as we've covered this _many_ (many) times.
<http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>

There is a difference between these two packages, again which we covered
many times, so if you don't know it, that means you've filtered out facts.

Here's just one reference going all the way back to 2016 but there's more.
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/NkZ-jO9LhZE/m/FaiHbZ0QBQAJ>

Here's another (from 2019) but there are so many I didn't bother counting.
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/EOWwR40FIWY/m/3Rd1HjkFBAAJ>
Here's another, from only 11 days ago, where it says EXACTLY what I said.
"Nothing wrong with donating to the OSMAnd+ team, as long as you
knew at the time that OSMAND+ is free if you get it from F-Droid
(but not Google Play)."
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/6ccoPgWOOmQ/m/cfFUOpJCAQAJ>

It's kind of sad that some people are so incredibly stupid that they can't
learn, where in this case, I suspect Steve is just filtering out all facts.

There's nothing wrong with Steve filtering out all facts, mind you, but it
does mean that Steve can't learn, and it means he will remain ignorant.

Which is fine too.

But then it means Steve says stupid things, like OSMAnd+ not being free.
It _is_ free. But you have to know a teeeny tiny bit of knowledge.

All of which was stated umpteen times on this newsgroup.

So if someone _still_ doesn't know that OSMAnd+ is free, they're just
stupid (IMHO), because no amount of facts will ever teach them anything.

And that's just sad, because stupid people shouldn't filter out facts.
They're stupid _because_ they filter out facts.

That's why Steve said the incredibly stupid things that he said.
He really doesn't know any better.

For the billionth time, here are some of the related download URLs.
*OsmAnd& Maps & GPS Offline by OsmAnd,
FOSS, Free, ad free, 4.5 star, 153K reviews, 10M+ Downloads
<https://osmand.net/>
<https://f-droid.org/repo/net.osmand.plus_431203.apk>
<https://f-droid.org/en/packages/net.osmand.plus/>
<https://github.com/osmandapp/OsmAnd>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand.plus>
<https://www.amazon.com/OsmAnd-Maps-Navigation/dp/B00D0SA8I8>

Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.

<tvvil0$3t2ob$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38931&group=comp.mobile.android#38931

From: nob...@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 13:28:32 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 20:28 UTC

On 3/28/2023 1:26 PM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> [...]
> does mean that Steve can't learn, and it means he will remain ignorant.
>
> Which is fine too.
>
> But then it means Steve says stupid things, like OSMAnd+ not being free.
> It _is_ free. But you have to know a teeeny tiny bit of knowledge.
>
> All of which was stated umpteen times on this newsgroup.
>
> So if someone _still_ doesn't know that OSMAnd+ is free, they're just
> stupid (IMHO), because no amount of facts will ever teach them anything.
>
> And that's just sad, because stupid people shouldn't filter out facts.
> They're stupid _because_ they filter out facts.
>
> That's why Steve said the incredibly stupid things that he said.
> He really doesn't know any better.
>
> For the billionth time, here are some of the related download URLs.
> *OsmAnd& Maps & GPS Offline by OsmAnd,
> FOSS, Free, ad free, 4.5 star, 153K reviews, 10M+ Downloads

You would think SMS would learn after all these years, wouldn't you?

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Beyond Meat and other such vegetarian meat substitutes
represent the ultimate in ultra-processed foods. Real
meat is natural. Beyond Meat is definitely not.

Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.

<tvvjci$3t6or$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38932&group=comp.mobile.android#38932

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 13:40:48 -0700
 by: sms - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 20:40 UTC

On 3/28/2023 11:54 AM, Jim S wrote:

> You'd think he would learn after all these years that osmand+ is free.

Andy Burnelli is wrong of course™.

OSMAND Free is free but you don't get unlimited free map downloads.

OSMAND+ is free on F-Droid
<https://f-droid.org/repo/net.osmand.plus_431203.apk> but paid on Google
Play and the Apple app store. In either case, you don't get unlimited
map downloads and updates for free forever.

You can see the pricing for different options at
<https://osmand.net/docs/user/purchases/ios/> and
<https://osmand.net/docs/user/purchases/android/>.

For some users the free maps will be sufficient, for others they will
not be. Of course you could just create another Google account on an
Android phone or tablet and install the OSMAND app again, and get more
free maps (not possible on iPhone and iPad).

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not
indoctrination nor elitism. It's just that you don't know as much as
they do about the subject.”—Tin Foil Awards

Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.

<tvvmdh$3tlpd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38933&group=comp.mobile.android#38933

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 14:32:32 -0700
 by: sms - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 21:32 UTC

On 3/28/2023 1:01 PM, David Higton wrote:
> In message <tvvcvv$rm1j$1@paganini.bofh.team>
> Andy Burnelli <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>> Just to be clear, since not everyone knows that OSMAnd+ is free
>
> Wikipedia claims that OSMAnd is free, and OSMAnd+ is paid.
>
> David

You can get OSMAND+ for Android for free from F-Droid
<https://f-droid.org/repo/net.osmand.plus_431203.apk>.

If you install it from Google Play
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand.plus> or
OSMAND Pro
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/osmand-maps-travel-navigate/id934850257>
from the Apple App Store, it is not free (on iOS you install the basic
app then upgrade to pro).

What is not free is unlimited map downloads for either OSMAND or
OSMAND+. Without the maps it's not much use. You do get a limited number
of free map downloads, and of course on Android devices you can create
more Android accounts on the same device and intall OSMAND+ multiple
times, though I think that paying for maps is not unreasonable.

You can see the pricing from the Apple App store here
<https://i.imgur.com/eXdGdd6.png>.

I have grandfathered unlimited map downloads on my Android account so I
can't see what the current Android pricing is in the app. Back in 2018
it was unlimited maps for life for $3.49 plus another $3.49 for contour
lines for life.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not
indoctrination nor elitism. It's just that you don't know as much as
they do about the subject.”—Tin Foil Awards

Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.

<tvvmfr$slll$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38934&group=comp.mobile.android#38934

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 22:34:04 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 21:34 UTC

sms wrote:

> OSMAND Free is free but you don't get unlimited free map downloads.

Jesus Christ, Steve. Stop being an ignorant stupid imbecile.
Just stop it.

Please stop spewing completely incorrect information about OSMAnd+.
Just stop it.

I do not care that _you_ are stupid.
I care that you are telling others stupid things.

I care about them; not about you (you filter all facts out).
Stop the bullshit please.

Almost everything you said is leading people astray.

It's just wrong.
At some point, your ignorance becomes stupidity.

Which I don't care about.
You can remain stupid.

But stop spewing bullshit that you don't know anything about Steve.
Stop it.

You're acting like the ignorant iKooks, Steve.
Stop being an imbecile.

Unfortunately, Steve is _still_ wrong because Steve is comparing
a. OSMAnd+ on Google Play <net.osmand.plus>
b. with OSMAnd on Google Play <net.osmand>
c. (which are completely _different_ packages!).

What Steve should be comparing are these two exact same packages:
a. OSMAnd+ on Google Play <net.osmand.plus>
b. OSMAnd+ on F-Droid (aka OSMAnd~) <net.osmand.plus>
c. Which are the exact same package.

Steve is confused.
He doesn't know anything because he filtes out all facts.
He _likes_ being ignorant.

But if he continues to filter out facts, he'll become stupid.
However, if he means well, he'll correct his confusion in the next post.

Note I am well aware there is a _support_ difference between OSMAnd+ on
Google Play versus the exact same OSMAnd+ package on F-Droid, even as there
are no coding differences (as we discussed this _many_ times on this ng!).

In summary, Steve is dead wrong because he's stupid and he filters out
facts such as the OSMAnd+ on F-Droid is EXACTLY the same as the OSMAnd+ on
Google Play for Christs' sake.

What's _different_ is the support and _only_ the support.

We covered this so many times that for Steve to be ignorant means he is
incapable of learning since we covered this in gory detail many times.

Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.

<tvvmnj$smbq$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38935&group=comp.mobile.android#38935

From: Mik...@fred.com (MikeS)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 23:38:11 +0200
 by: MikeS - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 21:38 UTC

On 28/03/2023 23:34, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> sms wrote:
>
>> OSMAND Free is free but you don't get unlimited free map downloads.
>
> Jesus Christ, Steve. Stop being an ignorant stupid imbecile.
> Just stop it.
>
> Please stop spewing completely incorrect information about OSMAnd+.
> Just stop it.
>
> I do not care that _you_ are stupid.
> I care that you are telling others stupid things.
>
> I care about them; not about you (you filter all facts out).
> Stop the bullshit please.
>
> Almost everything you said is leading people astray.
>
> It's just wrong.
> At some point, your ignorance becomes stupidity.
>
> Which I don't care about.
> You can remain stupid.
>
> But stop spewing bullshit that you don't know anything about Steve.
> Stop it.
>
> You're acting like the ignorant iKooks, Steve.
> Stop being an imbecile.
>
> Unfortunately, Steve is _still_ wrong because Steve is comparing
> a. OSMAnd+ on Google Play <net.osmand.plus>
> b. with OSMAnd on Google Play <net.osmand>
> c. (which are completely _different_ packages!).
>
> What Steve should be comparing are these two exact same packages:
> a. OSMAnd+ on Google Play <net.osmand.plus>
> b. OSMAnd+ on F-Droid (aka OSMAnd~) <net.osmand.plus>
> c. Which are the exact same package.
>
> Steve is confused.
> He doesn't know anything because he filtes out all facts.
> He _likes_ being ignorant.
>
> But if he continues to filter out facts, he'll become stupid.
> However, if he means well, he'll correct his confusion in the next post.
>
> Note I am well aware there is a _support_ difference between OSMAnd+ on
> Google Play versus the exact same OSMAnd+ package on F-Droid, even as there
> are no coding differences (as we discussed this _many_ times on this ng!).
>
> In summary, Steve is dead wrong because he's stupid and he filters out
> facts such as the OSMAnd+ on F-Droid is EXACTLY the same as the OSMAnd+ on
> Google Play for Christs' sake.
>
> What's _different_ is the support and _only_ the support.
>
> We covered this so many times that for Steve to be ignorant means he is
> incapable of learning since we covered this in gory detail many times.

What sms said is different from what you said so I looked it up.
https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/42079/differences-between-osmand-and-osmand

You are right.
That sms guy is wrong.

He is comparing the wrong things and he doesn't even realize he's doing
that so I have to agree with you that doing that is a stupid thing by him.

Maybe sms can learn?
Maybe not.

Let's see what sms says in response to your corrections of his messages.

Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.

<tvvna0$so8d$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38937&group=comp.mobile.android#38937

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 22:48:00 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 21:48 UTC

sms wrote:

> What is not free is unlimited map downloads for either OSMAND or
> OSMAND+. Without the maps it's not much use.

Jesus Christ, Steve.
Stop spewing your bullshit.

Just stop it.
I don't give a hoot that you are stupid and ignorant, Steve.

What I care about is you are telling other people stupid ignorant things!
Stop telling people stupid things, Steve.

Just stop it.

You're comparing these two completely different packages, Steve.
a. OSMAnd+ on Google Play <net.osmand.plus>
b. with OSMAnd on Google Play <net.osmand>
c. (which are completely _different_ packages!).

And in doing so, you're _pretending_ they are these two packages!
a. OSMAnd+ on Google Play <net.osmand.plus>
b. OSMAnd+ on F-Droid (aka OSMAnd~) <net.osmand.plus>
c. Which are the exact same package for Christs' sake.

The only difference between those two exact same packages is in the support
(e.g., the Google Play one is said to be updated more frequently, which,
well, which to me is completely meaningless if I'm a subversion too old).

But subversion to subversion, they're the _exact_ same package, Steve.
(Well, the signing is different, but that's a function of the repo.)

In summary, Steve, I get it that you filter out all facts on this
newsgroup. I get it that you hate all facts. I don't care.

I don't give a shit about you, in particular Steve.
You're a moron.

What I care about is you not spewing your bullshit to others.
It's the others that I care about. Not you.

You filter out all facts (which is why you're so stupid, Steve).
And that's ok.

But don't filter out facts, and THEN spew your ignorant bullshit.
The fact is that <net.osmand.plus> from Google Play is exactly the same
package (other than minor differences such as signing) as <net.osmand.plus>
on F-Droid).

For you to say otherwise, is either (A) a lie, or (B) ignorance.
Pick one. Or both.

Please correct your bullshit in the next reply to anyone, Steve.
Otherwise I will continue to call you out on your decrepit ignorance.

Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.

<tvvnfd$3tr0h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38938&group=comp.mobile.android#38938

From: u9536...@gmail.com (Incubus)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 21:50:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Incubus - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 21:50 UTC

On 2023-03-28, Andy Burnelli <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
> sms wrote:
>
>> What is not free is unlimited map downloads for either OSMAND or
>> OSMAND+. Without the maps it's not much use.
>
> Jesus Christ, Steve.
> Stop spewing your bullshit.
>
> Just stop it.
> I don't give a hoot that you are stupid and ignorant, Steve.
>
> What I care about is you are telling other people stupid ignorant things!
> Stop telling people stupid things, Steve.
>
> Just stop it.
>
> You're comparing these two completely different packages, Steve.
> a. OSMAnd+ on Google Play <net.osmand.plus>
> b. with OSMAnd on Google Play <net.osmand>
> c. (which are completely _different_ packages!).
>
> And in doing so, you're _pretending_ they are these two packages!
> a. OSMAnd+ on Google Play <net.osmand.plus>
> b. OSMAnd+ on F-Droid (aka OSMAnd~) <net.osmand.plus>
> c. Which are the exact same package for Christs' sake.
>
> The only difference between those two exact same packages is in the support
> (e.g., the Google Play one is said to be updated more frequently, which,
> well, which to me is completely meaningless if I'm a subversion too old).
>
> But subversion to subversion, they're the _exact_ same package, Steve.
> (Well, the signing is different, but that's a function of the repo.)
>
> In summary, Steve, I get it that you filter out all facts on this
> newsgroup. I get it that you hate all facts. I don't care.
>
> I don't give a shit about you, in particular Steve.
> You're a moron.
>
> What I care about is you not spewing your bullshit to others.
> It's the others that I care about. Not you.
>
> You filter out all facts (which is why you're so stupid, Steve).
> And that's ok.
>
> But don't filter out facts, and THEN spew your ignorant bullshit.
> The fact is that <net.osmand.plus> from Google Play is exactly the same
> package (other than minor differences such as signing) as <net.osmand.plus>
> on F-Droid).
>
> For you to say otherwise, is either (A) a lie, or (B) ignorance.
> Pick one. Or both.
>
> Please correct your bullshit in the next reply to anyone, Steve.
> Otherwise I will continue to call you out on your decrepit ignorance.

Why are you holding back on your feelings?
Why not tell us how you really feel about his advice for the rest of us?

Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.

<7gtf4idq2s48j3p08uhfjo5oohphv4g17h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39416&group=comp.mobile.android#39416

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 11:53:01 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 15:53 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 27 Mar 2023 01:05:42 -0400, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>I see that there are several ways (apps?) that will cast my smartphone
>screen to a tablet, with an even larger screen, right?
>
>But that's not my real question. My question is, Can you cast one app
>to a tablet and still be able to switch the focus of the phone to other
>apps? For example, coult I cast Google maps or OSMand to the tablet
>and still use a different map, or the webbrowser, or something on the
>phone?
>
>Is there a name for doing this so I can google for more info about it?
>(I'm lucky I know the word "cast".)

After reading the replies (Thank you!), I've given up on the plan above.
I switched to just gettting a GPS, probably 7", and getting a new bigger
holder that will hold it. The new holder mounts to the bolt that holds
the passenger seat in place, and it's big enought to hold a tablet or
gps, and small enough to hold a phone.

This is all planning for the next car. The current car has a map with
GPS in the car radio. But it's hard to find a convertible bigger than
a Miata** with a soft ride, and I always like to shop years in advance.

I don't use the directions function, only the map to know where I am.

Any external GPS should do it.

**Miatas have GPS maps in the dash.

Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.

<u299r5.2nk.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39417&group=comp.mobile.android#39417

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 25 Apr 2023 17:31:58 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 17:31 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 27 Mar 2023 01:05:42 -0400, micky
> <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
> >I see that there are several ways (apps?) that will cast my smartphone
> >screen to a tablet, with an even larger screen, right?
> >
> >But that's not my real question. My question is, Can you cast one app
> >to a tablet and still be able to switch the focus of the phone to other
> >apps? For example, coult I cast Google maps or OSMand to the tablet
> >and still use a different map, or the webbrowser, or something on the
> >phone?
> >
> >Is there a name for doing this so I can google for more info about it?
> >(I'm lucky I know the word "cast".)
>
> After reading the replies (Thank you!), I've given up on the plan above.
> I switched to just gettting a GPS, probably 7", and getting a new bigger
> holder that will hold it. The new holder mounts to the bolt that holds
> the passenger seat in place, and it's big enought to hold a tablet or
> gps, and small enough to hold a phone.
>
> This is all planning for the next car. The current car has a map with
> GPS in the car radio. But it's hard to find a convertible bigger than
> a Miata** with a soft ride, and I always like to shop years in advance.
>
> I don't use the directions function, only the map to know where I am.
>
> Any external GPS should do it.

I hadn't seen this thread before, but if you haven't bought the GPS
device yet: Why don't you just use OsmAnd+ on your tablet and - if you
also need an online app on the tablet -, just let the tablet connect to
the Mobile Hotspot of the phone.

We use(d) this setup all the time: Tablet with big screen for the
navigator (SWMBO) and phone with small screen for the driver (me).

> **Miatas have GPS maps in the dash.

If a car has Android Auto, you don't need a built-in navigation
device, because you can use a navigation app on your phone, which
displays on the display of the car. For example last year our rental
Mustang Convertible from Atlanta had Android Auto, but no built-in
navigation system.

Re: Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.

<u295tu$vm7i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39420&group=comp.mobile.android#39420

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 11:25:01 -0700
 by: sms - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 18:25 UTC

On 4/25/2023 10:31 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> I hadn't seen this thread before, but if you haven't bought the GPS
> device yet: Why don't you just use OsmAnd+ on your tablet and - if you
> also need an online app on the tablet -, just let the tablet connect to
> the Mobile Hotspot of the phone.
>
> We use(d) this setup all the time: Tablet with big screen for the
> navigator (SWMBO) and phone with small screen for the driver (me).

When data was expensive I used OSMAND or CoPilot while driving. Now I
use OSMAND when in other countries when not driving since high-speed
data is usually limited in quantity.

For the U.S. I use Waze for driving since it provides the most
crowd-sourced data of traffic, road construction, road hazards, and
police presence. If I ignore Waze's route suggestions, even when they
are counter-intuitive, I usually end up regretting it.