From: lars.s...@nocrew.org (Lars Brinkhoff)
Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp11
Subject: Knight and SAIL keyboard replicas
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 16:53:37 +0000
 by: Lars Brinkhoff - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 16:53 UTC

Hello,

I'm trying to gauge the interest in keyboard replicas. The ones I have
in mind would be modeled on the keyboard for the Knight TV, and the
similar SAIL keyboard. Apparently there's a large start-up cost for
making key caps, so the more orders the merrier.

The Knight keyboard is useful for running ITS, and the SAIL keyboard
would be really good for some of the WAITS applications.

More info here:
https://github.com/osiweb/unified_retro_keyboard/issues/37

Re: Knight and SAIL keyboard replicas

<87v8zjvxel.fsf@nightsong.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=386&group=alt.sys.pdp11#386

From: no.em...@nospam.invalid (Paul Rubin)
Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp11
Subject: Re: Knight and SAIL keyboard replicas
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 12:22:58 -0800
sha1:cKIuZ6HTdJKO78zDvV9uWYeaUo4=
 by: Paul Rubin - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 20:22 UTC

Lars Brinkhoff <lars.spam@nocrew.org> writes:
> Apparently there's a large start-up cost for making key caps, so the
> more orders the merrier.

Aren't the keyboard frames even more expensive? I wonder if the key
caps themselves can be 3d printed in two passes, with the key legends
made as a groove and an "inlay".

Re: Knight and SAIL keyboard replicas

<7wzgouz8rw.fsf@junk.nocrew.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=387&group=alt.sys.pdp11#387

From: lars.s...@nocrew.org (Lars Brinkhoff)
Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp11
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 08:01:23 +0000
 by: Lars Brinkhoff - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 08:01 UTC

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Aren't the keyboard frames even more expensive? I wonder if the key
> caps themselves can be 3d printed in two passes, with the key legends
> made as a groove and an "inlay".

It's probably going to be a pricey affair from start to end.

I welcome any 3D printing experiments. I suggest posting any results to
the GitHub issue.

Re: Knight and SAIL keyboard replicas

<e492fe36-e05e-461f-80f2-ab76c3c065ecn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=388&group=alt.sys.pdp11#388

Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp11
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 15:14:30 -0800 (PST)
From: jjhud...@gmail.com (Three Jeeps)
 by: Three Jeeps - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 23:14 UTC

On Tuesday, December 21, 2021 at 3:01:25 AM UTC-5, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> Paul Rubin wrote:
> > Aren't the keyboard frames even more expensive? I wonder if the key
> > caps themselves can be 3d printed in two passes, with the key legends
> > made as a groove and an "inlay".
> It's probably going to be a pricey affair from start to end.
>
> I welcome any 3D printing experiments. I suggest posting any results to
> the GitHub issue.
My knowledge of the Knight keyboard is minimal but some googling turned up some good photos. My first impression is that the keycaps and layout (for the most part) look very similar to an IBM 29 key punch machine. Perhaps the supplier of those keyboards is still around? (I dont recall who made them for IBM)
Back in the day (1990s) Cherry would supply keyboards and custom keycaps as well. They are still around and may be a source for the keyboards.

At this point, I don't have too much of an interest in a keyboard replica. My interest in doing anything 'AI' went away when the LMI and the TI Explorer machines were taken out of my office.....

Re: Knight and SAIL keyboard replicas

<7wtuezulzw.fsf@junk.nocrew.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=390&group=alt.sys.pdp11#390

From: lars.s...@nocrew.org (Lars Brinkhoff)
Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp11
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 20:03:47 +0000
 by: Lars Brinkhoff - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 20:03 UTC

Three Jeeps wrote:
> At this point, I don't have too much of an interest in a keyboard
> replica. My interest in doing anything 'AI' went away when the LMI
> and the TI Explorer machines were taken out of my office.....

My post actually had an off by one error; it was intended for
alt.sys.pdp10. Still, it's not too off topic because the keyboards were
attached to a PDP-11.

Thanks for you comments!