When the revolution comes, count your change.

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: New Lenovo V17

SubjectAuthor
* New Lenovo V17Jeff Gaines
+- Re: New Lenovo V17Raj Kundra
+* Re: New Lenovo V17Chris
|`* Re: New Lenovo V17Frederick Smith
| `* Re: New Lenovo V17Theo
|  `- Re: New Lenovo V17Jeff Gaines
+- Re: New Lenovo V17Jaimie Vandenbergh
`* Re: New Lenovo V17Andy Burns
 `- Re: New Lenovo V17Jeff Gaines

1
New Lenovo V17

<xn0o79hju7bqe21005@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3899&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3899

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: New Lenovo V17
Date: 25 Sep 2023 16:00:53 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 16:00 UTC

Took delivery of a new Lenovo V17 G3 laptop today, previous generation I
think but good price and excellent screen.

It has an i5 @ 1.3 GHz which shocked me, it's a lower clock than my
tablet. My Dell had an i7 @ 3 Ghz but this seems just as sprightly. Is
that a function of how processors are built now?

It has Win 11 on it so yet another layer of hiding settings. Once you get
through the obscurity to what you're looking for it's the good old dialogs
that pop up that we were using on W98. Not sure if I'll stick with Win 11.
at least I found something that lets me dock the Taskbar on the left.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Have you ever noticed that all the instruments searching for intelligent

Re: New Lenovo V17

<uescb5$20kv8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3900&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3900

From: raj...@kundracomputers.co.uk (Raj Kundra)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: New Lenovo V17
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 17:26:13 +0100
 by: Raj Kundra - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 16:26 UTC

On 25/09/2023 17:00, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Took delivery of a new Lenovo V17 G3 laptop today, previous generation I
> think but good price and excellent screen.
>
> It has an i5 @ 1.3 GHz which shocked me, it's a lower clock than my
> tablet. My Dell had an i7 @ 3 Ghz but this seems just as sprightly. Is
> that a function of how processors are built now?
>
> It has Win 11 on it so yet another layer of hiding settings. Once you
> get through the obscurity to what you're looking for it's the good old
> dialogs that pop up that we were using on W98. Not sure if I'll stick
> with Win 11. at least I found something that lets me dock the Taskbar on
> the left.

And they call it progress?

Re: New Lenovo V17

<uesfjg$2199l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3902&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3902

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 17:21:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:klzM4xMcqbfKGvNWxaeQnGAJysE=
 by: Chris - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 17:21 UTC

Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:

> Took delivery of a new Lenovo V17 G3 laptop today, previous generation I
> think but good price and excellent screen.
>
> It has an i5 @ 1.3 GHz which shocked me, it's a lower clock than my
> tablet. My Dell had an i7 @ 3 Ghz but this seems just as sprightly. Is
> that a function of how processors are built now?

It's probably an energy efficient model to save on battery life. Macbook
Airs used to have low clock i3 & i5 processors. Generally worked well, but
you did occasionally notice lag.

> It has Win 11 on it so yet another layer of hiding settings. Once you get
> through the obscurity to what you're looking for it's the good old dialogs
> that pop up that we were using on W98. Not sure if I'll stick with Win 11.
> at least I found something that lets me dock the Taskbar on the left.

Re: New Lenovo V17

<kndua3F69ppU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3903&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3903

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 25 Sep 2023 17:28:35 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 17:28 UTC

On 25 Sep 2023 at 17:00:53 BST, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgnewsid@outlook.com>
wrote:

> Took delivery of a new Lenovo V17 G3 laptop today, previous generation I
> think but good price and excellent screen.
>
> It has an i5 @ 1.3 GHz which shocked me, it's a lower clock than my
> tablet. My Dell had an i7 @ 3 Ghz but this seems just as sprightly. Is
> that a function of how processors are built now?

Clock speed is only a directly useful metric for performance within the
same series of processors - so a 13th Gen i5 at 2GHz will indeed be
slower than a 13th Gen i5 at 3GHz, but otherwise it's very much an It
Depends situation. A modern i3 will smash a 2013 i7 out of the park for
most things. Not to mention that your "1.3GHz" i5 may well have the
capability to boost speed of 3.7GHz or something for one core - for a
short while.

> It has Win 11 on it so yet another layer of hiding settings. Once you get
> through the obscurity to what you're looking for it's the good old dialogs
> that pop up that we were using on W98. Not sure if I'll stick with Win 11.
> at least I found something that lets me dock the Taskbar on the left.

You can fix the execrable decision to fuck with the right-click menu
too. After that it's basically Win10 with a less functional dock.

To fix - in an admin cmd prompt,

reg.exe delete
"HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}" /f
/ve

and restart Explorer (or Windows).

Ref from
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-old-right-click-context-menu-in-windows-11/a62e797c-eaf3-411b-aeec-e460e6e5a82a

Cheers - Jaimie
--
I always wanted to be someone. I should have been more specific.
-- Lily Tomlin

Re: New Lenovo V17

<kndv8cF65qvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3904&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3904

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 18:44:44 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 17:44 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> It has an i5 @ 1.3 GHz which shocked me, it's a lower clock than my
> tablet. My Dell had an i7 @ 3 Ghz but this seems just as sprightly.

How many cores for the i5 vs the i7, how many hyperthreads?

Re: New Lenovo V17

<xn0o79ps67mxbti008@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3905&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3905

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 25 Sep 2023 21:14:12 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 21:14 UTC

On 25/09/2023 in message <kndv8cF65qvU1@mid.individual.net> Andy Burns
wrote:

>Jeff Gaines wrote:
>
>>It has an i5 @ 1.3 GHz which shocked me, it's a lower clock than my
>>tablet. My Dell had an i7 @ 3 Ghz but this seems just as sprightly.
>
>How many cores for the i5 vs the i7, how many hyperthreads?

That led to very interesting results!

The Dell Precision M6800 has an i7 4610M 2 cores 4 threads @ 3 GHz and
scores 724 on Cinebench 20. (16 GB RAM)

The Lenovo V17 has a 12th Gen i5 1235u 10 cores 12 threads @ 2.5 GHz and
scores 2822 on Cinebench 20. (8 GB RAM)

My Z620 is currently off but it had dual Xeons at 2.5 GHz, 24 threads and
scored 3008.

Interesting how they have come on over the years and the speed Win 11
reports is 1.5 GHz not 2.5.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Did you know on the Canary Islands there is not one canary?

Re: New Lenovo V17

<ueu1t1$2dddr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3906&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3906

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Frederick Smith)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 08:40:17 +0100
 by: Frederick Smith - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 07:40 UTC

On 25/09/2023 18:21, Chris wrote:

> It's probably an energy efficient model to save on battery life. Macbook
> Airs used to have low clock i3 & i5 processors. Generally worked well, but
> you did occasionally notice lag.

I would suggest that comparing "Core i" numbers of different processors
is likely to be inconclusive if they are not from the same generation -
we are now up to (at least) the 11th generation.

Even comparing processors of the same generation is far from conclusive.

The system I am using right now has a 10th Gen Core i7 processor in it -
one of 5 i7 variants supported.

The motherboard supports 34 different "i" processors along with a dozen
or so Celeron and Pentium Gold variants.

Subjectively, I would say that the biggest performance gain on any
system I have ever owned was by upgrading to SSD storage.

Re: New Lenovo V17

<nWk*Bvkrz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3907&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3907

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 26 Sep 2023 09:25:17 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 08:25 UTC

Frederick Smith <fred@fred-smith.co.uk> wrote:
> On 25/09/2023 18:21, Chris wrote:
>

> > It's probably an energy efficient model to save on battery life. Macbook
> > Airs used to have low clock i3 & i5 processors. Generally worked well, but
> > you did occasionally notice lag.
> >

> I would suggest that comparing "Core i" numbers of different processors
> is likely to be inconclusive if they are not from the same generation -
> we are now up to (at least) the 11th generation.

The i3/i5/i7/i9 is just marketing - it doesn't 'mean' anything, it's just
good/better/best/bestest.

Things that matter are:
- core counts
- hyperthreading y/n
- base clock speeds
- turbo speeds
- cache size
- memory bandwidth (DDR3/4/5)
- thermal envelope (TDP)
- microarchitecture (generation, plus Core i v Atom v Ryzen)
- performance of the heat dissipation system in a specific model of laptop
- integrated GPU performance (if any)
- extra features (ECC RAM, EDRAM, PCIe gen 3/4/5, PCIe lanes, etc)

Since this is a multi-dimensional thing, there isn't a simple comparison of
A against B, although often you're comparing two CPUs where some of these
things are the same.

I tend to look at cpubenchmark.net as a ready reckoner to compare CPUs of
different generations. It's not perfect, but a good starting point to get a
feel.

Theo

Re: New Lenovo V17

<xn0o7ak5v8b0of0009@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3908&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3908

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 26 Sep 2023 08:28:39 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 08:28 UTC

On 26/09/2023 in message <nWk*Bvkrz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> Theo wrote:

>>I would suggest that comparing "Core i" numbers of different processors
>>is likely to be inconclusive if they are not from the same generation -
>>we are now up to (at least) the 11th generation.
>
>The i3/i5/i7/i9 is just marketing - it doesn't 'mean' anything, it's just
>good/better/best/bestest.

You ought to take that to Intel, they might give you a job :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
We chose to do this not because it is easy but because we thought it would