From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Windows 11
Date: 30 Oct 2023 15:49:17 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 15:49 UTC

Win 11 is driving me round the bend. It drops the network connection at
the slightest opportunity then takes ages to restore (I have check power
management where it appears). It can never find my main PC in File
Explorer until it has run the troubleshooter (which never finds anything)
then it is fine.

It has now decide to silently fail to run some programs - one being the
NET framework installer, the other an app I wrote that runs on all my
other machines. No message, nothing in the Event Viewer.

Is this widespread anybody know?

I will try and find out from Lenovo if Win 10 will work on it. In the
meantime my onks old Dell 6800 just plods along, although the power cable
keeps falling out.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The true meaning of life is to plant trees under whose shade you do not

Re: Windows 11

<xn0o8ph8660snf900g@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3973&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3973

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Windows 11
Date: 30 Oct 2023 17:27:44 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 17:27 UTC

On 30/10/2023 in message <xn0o8pelk5xa1fl00f@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>I will try and find out from Lenovo if Win 10 will work on it. In the
>meantime my onks old Dell 6800 just plods along, although the power cable
>keeps falling out.

I managed to sign on to Lenovo after being asked to identify a "crosswalk"
in a picture, took a while as I have no idea what a crosswalk is and don't
want to.

Two responses so far. The first said yes, Win 10 can be installed the
second no it was designed for Win 11.

I'll give it a few days then go with the majority :-(

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant

Re: Windows 11

<uhopqp$iaae$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3974&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3974

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 17:40:43 +0000
 by: GB - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 17:40 UTC

On 30/10/2023 15:49, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Win 11 is driving me round the bend. It drops the network connection at
> the slightest opportunity then takes ages to restore (I have check power
> management where it appears).

I suspect a hardware error here. Maybe, poor siting, poor antenna, etc.

Re: Windows 11

<xn0o8qoyf76wwsl00k@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3978&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3978

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 31 Oct 2023 13:06:47 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 13:06 UTC

On 30/10/2023 in message <xn0o8ph8660snf900g@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>Two responses so far. The first said yes, Win 10 can be installed the
>second no it was designed for Win 11.

Just in case anybody else is interested Win 10 runs perfectly on the
Lenovo V17 laptop.

What I did:

There is a directory on the C: drive called drivers - they are for Win 11
but work on Win 10, copy them somewhere you have access to!

Turn off secure boot or it whines about a key.

Install Win 10 (from Ventoy in my case, brilliant!) - I formatted the old
Win 11 drive.

Go through the normal setup process.

Go to device manager and for all the yellow blobs update the driver by
pointing it to the drivers directory mentioned above, they are all
unzipped so point it to the top level and include sub-directories, it
finds most of them - I am expecting the currently running update to find
them else I will install Lenovo Vantage.

That's it, I can find things again.

I know I have similar problems with each version but Win 11 seems a step
to far. It's all very well having a black start up screen with a very sexy
TextBox with a blue line underneath but how much faster and smaller does
that make Windows?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF

Re: Windows 11

<xn0o8qpqf781dta00l@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3979&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3979

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 31 Oct 2023 13:38:15 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 13:38 UTC

On 31/10/2023 in message <xn0o8qoyf76wwsl00k@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>Go to device manager and for all the yellow blobs update the driver by
>pointing it to the drivers directory mentioned above, they are all
>unzipped so point it to the top level and include sub-directories, it
>finds most of them - I am expecting the currently running update to find
>them else I will install Lenovo Vantage.

The update did find the rest of the drivers so no more blobs - and it
activated from the BIOS key.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Have you ever noticed that all the instruments searching for intelligent

Re: Windows 11

<uhrha4$15me9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3983&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3983

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 18:33:39 +0000
 by: SH - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 18:33 UTC

On 31/10/2023 13:06, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 30/10/2023 in message <xn0o8ph8660snf900g@news.individual.net> Jeff
> Gaines wrote:
>
>> Two responses so far. The first said yes, Win 10 can be installed the
>> second no it was designed for Win 11.
>
> Just in case anybody else is interested Win 10 runs perfectly on the
> Lenovo V17 laptop.
>
> What I did:
>
> There is a directory on the C: drive called drivers - they are for Win
> 11 but work on Win 10, copy them somewhere you have access to!
>
> Turn off secure boot or it whines about a key.
>
> Install Win 10 (from Ventoy in my case, brilliant!) - I formatted the
> old Win 11 drive.

Bow beneath the person (a.k.a. me!) who pointed you to Ventoy!..... :-)

Great tool isn't it?

> Go through the normal setup process.
>
> Go to device manager and for all the yellow blobs update the driver by
> pointing it to the drivers directory mentioned above, they are all
> unzipped so point it to the top level and include sub-directories, it
> finds most of them - I am expecting the currently running update to find
> them else I will install Lenovo Vantage.
>
> That's it, I can find things again.
>
> I know I have similar problems with each version but Win 11 seems a step
> to far. It's all very well having a black start up screen with a very
> sexy TextBox with a blue line underneath but how much faster and smaller
> does that make Windows?

Re: Windows 11

<xn0o8qyd97joan000m@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3984&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3984

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 31 Oct 2023 19:04:00 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 19:04 UTC

On 31/10/2023 in message <uhrha4$15me9$1@dont-email.me> SH wrote:

>>Install Win 10 (from Ventoy in my case, brilliant!) - I formatted the old
>>Win 11 drive.
>
>Bow beneath the person (a.k.a. me!) who pointed you to Ventoy!..... :-)
>
>Great tool isn't it?

I will be forever grateful :-)