The study of non-linear physics is like the study of non-elephant biology.

devel / comp.sys.acorn.hardware / VGA to HDMI Upscaler for Risc PC

SubjectAuthor
* VGA to HDMI Upscaler for Risc PCKevin Melling
+* Re: VGA to HDMI Upscaler for Risc PCdruck
|+- Re: VGA to HDMI Upscaler for Risc PCKevin Melling
|`* Re: VGA to HDMI Upscaler for Risc PCKevin Melling
| `- Re: VGA to HDMI Upscaler for Risc PCdruck
`- Re: VGA to HDMI Upscaler for Risc PCDave Plowman (News)

1
VGA to HDMI Upscaler for Risc PC

<f6e213db59.kmelling@kmelling.aaug.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=399&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#399

Subject: VGA to HDMI Upscaler for Risc PC
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
From: kmell...@aaug.net (Kevin Melling)
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 13:07:09 GMT
 by: Kevin Melling - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 13:07 UTC

Hi,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a VGA to HDMI upscaler please for
the basic output of a RISC PC (RPC700 without viewfinder)

I've bought a basic one which gives a stable image but about an inch of
the right-hand side is missing even when there are thick vertical black
borders (letterboxing).

A TV with a VGA socket is giving a good picture so nothing wrong with the
RPC (I presume). I haven't tried the upscaler with a different VGA feed.

This model basically fits in an extended VGA plug, with sockets for HDMI
out, micro USB power and audio in (added to the HDMI, but haven't tried
that as my monitor doesn't support audio). I've seen others which are more
like small set-top-boxes so may have more eletronics inside?

The monitor is 4K (don't know if that's a problem) with no VGA input.

Maybe I could try working on a Monitor Definition File.. Maybe some has
already :-) ?

Many thanks,
Kevin Melling

Re: VGA to HDMI Upscaler for Risc PC

<t3k8v7$4si$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=400&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#400

From: new...@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Subject: Re: VGA to HDMI Upscaler for Risc PC
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 19:00:05 +0100
 by: druck - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 18:00 UTC

On 18/04/2022 14:07, Kevin Melling wrote:
> Does anyone have a recommendation for a VGA to HDMI upscaler please for
> the basic output of a RISC PC (RPC700 without viewfinder)
>
> I've bought a basic one which gives a stable image but about an inch of
> the right-hand side is missing even when there are thick vertical black
> borders (letterboxing).

[Snip]

> Maybe I could try working on a Monitor Definition File.. Maybe some has
> already :-) ?

You probably need an MDF with as close to VESA standard timings as
possible. Some MDFs you might find online describe this as relaxed timings.

---druck

Re: VGA to HDMI Upscaler for Risc PC

<c38534db59.kmelling@kmelling.aaug.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=401&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#401

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
From: kmell...@aaug.net (Kevin Melling)
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 20:03:37 +0100
 by: Kevin Melling - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 19:03 UTC

In message <t3k8v7$4si$1@dont-email.me>
druck <news@druck.org.uk> wrote:

> On 18/04/2022 14:07, Kevin Melling wrote:
>> Does anyone have a recommendation for a VGA to HDMI upscaler please for
>> the basic output of a RISC PC (RPC700 without viewfinder)
>>
>> I've bought a basic one which gives a stable image but about an inch of
>> the right-hand side is missing even when there are thick vertical black
>> borders (letterboxing).

> [Snip]

>> Maybe I could try working on a Monitor Definition File.. Maybe some has
>> already :-) ?

> You probably need an MDF with as close to VESA standard timings as
> possible. Some MDFs you might find online describe this as relaxed timings.

Thanks druck,

I'll try this at some point and think I may've found some related
discussions on the ROOL forums, but it might be a bit of time till I try.
The RISC PC setup has taken a bit of a back seat with WFH I'm afraid :-)

Many thanks

--
Kevin Melling

Re: VGA to HDMI Upscaler for Risc PC

<59db9d6570dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=402&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#402

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 15:09:07 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 14:09 UTC

Best of luck. Converting analogue to HDMI seems fraught with problems when
I've tried it here. And seems to depend on what the HDMI input is on.

--
*Frustration is trying to find your glasses without your glasses.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: VGA to HDMI Upscaler for Risc PC

<9c6510de59.kmelling@kmelling.aaug.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=403&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#403

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
From: kmell...@aaug.net (Kevin Melling)
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 09:17:38 +0100
 by: Kevin Melling - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 08:17 UTC

In message <t3k8v7$4si$1@dont-email.me>
druck <news@druck.org.uk> wrote:

> On 18/04/2022 14:07, Kevin Melling wrote:
>> Does anyone have a recommendation for a VGA to HDMI upscaler please for
>> the basic output of a RISC PC (RPC700 without viewfinder)
>>
>> I've bought a basic one which gives a stable image but about an inch of
>> the right-hand side is missing even when there are thick vertical black
>> borders (letterboxing).

> [Snip]

>> Maybe I could try working on a Monitor Definition File.. Maybe some has
>> already :-) ?

> You probably need an MDF with as close to VESA standard timings as
> possible. Some MDFs you might find online describe this as relaxed timings.

In fact I found a direcotry of MDFs on the RISC PC itself. Not sure where
I got them from. First I tried was labelled "Samsung" which worked first
time at least in 1024*768. I feel the 4K Dell monitor is being somewhat
underused here :-).

Can share some MDFs if anyone wants or suggests where to put them.

Many thanks

--
Kevin Melling

Re: VGA to HDMI Upscaler for Risc PC

<t43jmn$30j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=404&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#404

From: new...@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 14:35:14 +0100
 by: druck - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 13:35 UTC

On 24/04/2022 09:17, Kevin Melling wrote:
> In message <t3k8v7$4si$1@dont-email.me>
> druck <news@druck.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 18/04/2022 14:07, Kevin Melling wrote:
>>> Does anyone have a recommendation for a VGA to HDMI upscaler please for
>>> the basic output of a RISC PC (RPC700 without viewfinder)
>>
>> You probably need an MDF with as close to VESA standard timings as
>> possible. Some MDFs you might find online describe this as relaxed timings.
>
> In fact I found a direcotry of MDFs on the RISC PC itself. Not sure where
> I got them from. First I tried was labelled "Samsung" which worked first
> time at least in 1024*768.

Monitors can lock on to a wide range of different modes and are fairly
forgiving of the various timing constrains (although LCDs not as much as
the old CRTs). However the very cheap VGA to HDMI adaptors need a signal
which is very close to, if not bang on the VESA standard timings, so you
can't get away with any old MDF. Tools such as !MakeModes can show if
timings are standard or not.

I feel the 4K Dell monitor is being somewhat
> underused here :-).

The Risc PC wont be able to do 1920x1080 which scales 2:1 a 4K monitor,
but generating a 1280x720 mode would be better than 1024x768 as its
scales 3:1 and is 16:9 instead of 4:3.

---druck