"I prefer rogues to imbeciles, because they sometimes take a rest." -- Alexandre Dumas (fils)

computers / comp.sys.apple2 / Re: Caution on AP-64E EPROM Programmer

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Caution on AP-64E EPROM ProgrammerMark Devito
+* Re: Caution on AP-64E EPROM ProgrammerMichael J. Mahon
|`- Re: Caution on AP-64E EPROM Programmerwaynej...@gmail.com
`- Re: Caution on AP-64E EPROM ProgrammerAntony Mauget

1
Re: Caution on AP-64E EPROM Programmer

<46f0938f-c650-4002-96d8-1fed7bf082f4n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3996&group=comp.sys.apple2#3996

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 06:02:11 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Caution on AP-64E EPROM Programmer
From: nobel....@gmail.com (Mark Devito)
 by: Mark Devito - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 14:02 UTC

On Friday, April 4, 2003 at 7:05:56 AM UTC-6, Mark Cummings wrote:
> > If Protel can export PostScript, you can use Ghostscript to convert
> > PostScript to PBM and netpbm to convert PBM to PNG. IIRC, you could also
> > use Ghostscript to save directly to TIFF. Ghostscript has some options
> that
> > let you set the resolution at which the input file is rendered...the
> default
> > setting is too low for anything but the simplest designs, but you can set
> it
> > to 600 or 1200 dpi and get something that you could print onto film for
> > making boards. (I'd think that for enabling people to have boards made
> > instead of rolling their own, you'd want to provide Gerber and Excellon
> > files too...I'd think Protel can do that by itself. It's easier (and not
> > much more expensive...places like Olimex and Custom PCB are dirt-cheap for
> > small-quantity board production) for me to send files to a boardhouse than
> > to try making a board myself, and the quality is better.)
> I can't export to anything other than Protel binary, Protel text or Orcad,
> and of course print to PDF. the latter option is what I have used as it
> seems pretty popular, looks good in colour, and is really my only option
> without scanning for now.
> <snip hash>
> anyway I have done the book and circuit finally, and they are here:
> http://home.iprimus.com.au/figjams/apple2/AP-64e.PDF
> http://home.iprimus.com.au/figjams/apple2/AP64Ecct.PDF
> apologies for a lack of home page, havn't ever bothered to do that yet.
> Mark
Hello to anyone still out there on this thread. I have been searching the Internet high and low for gerbers and rom image dumps in order to build an AP-64e. Seems like Apple II card-based burners are hard to come by these days so DIY is the best solution. Does anyone here have board gerbers and/or the ROM dump?

Thanks in advance.
mark

Re: Caution on AP-64E EPROM Programmer

<FJCdnQvHNq0oqUL8nZ2dnUU7-YHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3998&group=comp.sys.apple2#3998

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
From: mjma...@aol.com (Michael J. Mahon)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 14:06:13 -0600
 by: Michael J. Mahon - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 20:06 UTC

Mark Devito <nobel.gas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, April 4, 2003 at 7:05:56 AM UTC-6, Mark Cummings wrote:
>>> If Protel can export PostScript, you can use Ghostscript to convert
>>> PostScript to PBM and netpbm to convert PBM to PNG. IIRC, you could also
>>> use Ghostscript to save directly to TIFF. Ghostscript has some options
>> that
>>> let you set the resolution at which the input file is rendered...the
>> default
>>> setting is too low for anything but the simplest designs, but you can set
>> it
>>> to 600 or 1200 dpi and get something that you could print onto film for
>>> making boards. (I'd think that for enabling people to have boards made
>>> instead of rolling their own, you'd want to provide Gerber and Excellon
>>> files too...I'd think Protel can do that by itself. It's easier (and not
>>> much more expensive...places like Olimex and Custom PCB are dirt-cheap for
>>> small-quantity board production) for me to send files to a boardhouse than
>>> to try making a board myself, and the quality is better.)
>> I can't export to anything other than Protel binary, Protel text or Orcad,
>> and of course print to PDF. the latter option is what I have used as it
>> seems pretty popular, looks good in colour, and is really my only option
>> without scanning for now.
>> <snip hash>
>> anyway I have done the book and circuit finally, and they are here:
>> http://home.iprimus.com.au/figjams/apple2/AP-64e.PDF
>> http://home.iprimus.com.au/figjams/apple2/AP64Ecct.PDF
>> apologies for a lack of home page, havn't ever bothered to do that yet.
>> Mark
> Hello to anyone still out there on this thread. I have been searching
> the Internet high and low for gerbers and rom image dumps in order to
> build an AP-64e. Seems like Apple II card-based burners are hard to come
> by these days so DIY is the best solution. Does anyone here have board
> gerbers and/or the ROM dump?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> mark

Mark, unless it’s “against your religion,” I’d recommend getting a GQ-4x4
“USB Universal Programmer”, which is very reasonably priced and supported
by Windows software. It can easily read and burn EPROMS (and much else).

I have had and used several Apple II EPROM cards, and though they
programmed the parts of the day well enough, they were not (able to be)
kept up with memory densities and technologies, even prior to 1990.

Re: Caution on AP-64E EPROM Programmer

<57818538-142e-4fc4-9caa-4e21fe293c60n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3999&group=comp.sys.apple2#3999

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 16:23:43 -0800 (PST)
From: waynejst...@gmail.com (waynej...@gmail.com)
 by: waynej...@gmail.com - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 00:23 UTC

I still have the AP64E ROM on my google drive
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9r6vH-4NK4NZGRjNjA1YzItNzgwYS00M2I1LTk2MjMtNjY4NjQ5ZDU1ZTZj?hl=en&resourcekey=0-PVqPB7KwJPxQU-_baMOGTA

Re: Caution on AP-64E EPROM Programmer

<amauget-1642365828@macgui.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4007&group=comp.sys.apple2#4007

From: amau...@macgui.com (Antony Mauget)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 20:43:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Antony Mauget - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 20:43 UTC

Mark Devito wrote:
> Hello to anyone still out there on this thread. I have been searching the
> Internet high and low for gerbers and rom image dumps in order to build an
> AP-64e. Seems like Apple II card-based burners are hard to come by these
> days so DIY is the best solution. Does anyone here have board gerbers
> and/or the ROM dump?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> mark

Hi mark,
No gerbers here but you can find the schematics on Asimov
/pub/apple_II/documentation/hardware/schematics/AP-64e EPROM
Programmer-Schematics.pdf

--
Antony