Factorials were someone's attempt to make math LOOK exciting.

computers / alt.online-service.comcast / Re: Turning Off "Next time, try saying show me CBS..."

SubjectAuthor
* Turning Off "Next time, try saying show me CBS..."Boris
+- Re: Turning Off "Next time, try saying show me CBS..."Big Al
+* Re: Turning Off "Next time, try saying show me CBS..."Peter
|+* Re: Turning Off "Next time, try saying show me CBS..."Boris
||`* Re: Turning Off "Next time, try saying show me CBS..."Retirednoguilt
|| `- Re: Turning Off "Next time, try saying show me CBS..."Boris
|`- Re: Turning Off "Next time, try saying show me CBS..."Allodoxaphobia
`- Re: Turning Off "Next time, try saying show me CBS..."leonard hofstatder

1
Turning Off "Next time, try saying show me CBS..."

<thcjo4$1okvn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=396&group=alt.online-service.comcast#396

From: bor...@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: Turning Off "Next time, try saying show me CBS..."
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 11:02:44 -0700
 by: Boris - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 18:02 UTC

How do I turn off the suggestion that appears on my screen when I use
the buttons on the remote to change channels, to use my voice instead?

It's got to be in the Xfinity settings, but just can't find it.

Re: Turning Off "Next time, try saying show me CBS..."

<thcknu$1p33j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=397&group=alt.online-service.comcast#397

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: Re: Turning Off "Next time, try saying show me CBS..."
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 14:19:40 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 18:19 UTC

On 10/2/22 14:02, this is what Boris wrote:
> How do I turn off the suggestion that appears on my screen when I use the buttons on the remote to change channels, to
> use my voice instead?
>
> It's got to be in the Xfinity settings, but just can't find it.

I'm watching the ball game and just type 813 and saw no prompt to use the microphone.
Al

Re: Turning Off "Next time, try saying show me CBS..."

<thclea$1lri$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=398&group=alt.online-service.comcast#398

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Peter)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 14:31:37 -0400
 by: Peter - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 18:31 UTC

On 10/2/2022 2:02 PM, Boris wrote:
> How do I turn off the suggestion that appears on my screen when I use
> the buttons on the remote to change channels, to use my voice instead?
>
> It's got to be in the Xfinity settings, but just can't find it.

On the remote, press the "xfinity" button. Use the left/right arrow
keys to navigate to the gear wheel logo. Press "OK". Use the up/down
arrow keys to navigate to the "Preferences" selection and press the "OK"
button. Press the down arrow to go to the "Notifications" selection and
press "OK". Use the up/down arrow keys to navigate to the "X1 Tips"
choice and press the "OK" key to change the selection from ON to OFF.
Press the "exit" key as many times as needed to get out of the entire
menu tree. (You can also experiment by saying "Notifications" into the
microphone and see if it takes you directly into that menu section.)

Re: Turning Off "Next time, try saying show me CBS..."

<thcm7p$1okvo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=399&group=alt.online-service.comcast#399

From: bor...@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 11:45:12 -0700
 by: Boris - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 18:45 UTC

On 10/2/2022 11:31 AM, Peter wrote:
> On 10/2/2022 2:02 PM, Boris wrote:
>> How do I turn off the suggestion that appears on my screen when I use
>> the buttons on the remote to change channels, to use my voice instead?
>>
>> It's got to be in the Xfinity settings, but just can't find it.
>>

> On the remote, press the "xfinity" button.  Use the left/right arrow
> keys to navigate to the gear wheel logo.  Press "OK".  Use the  up/down
> arrow keys to navigate to the "Preferences" selection and press the "OK"
> button.  Press the down arrow to go to the "Notifications" selection and
> press "OK".  Use the up/down arrow keys to navigate to the "X1 Tips"
> choice and press the "OK" key to change the selection from ON to OFF.
> Press the "exit" key as many times as needed to get out of the entire
> menu tree.  (You can also experiment by saying "Notifications" into the
> microphone and see if it takes you directly into that menu section.)

Oh, using voice and saying "Notification" did indeed take me to
"Notification Settings". Cool.

But, "X1 Tips" is off. I turned it off a few days ago. Still getting 'tip'.

Re: Turning Off "Next time, try saying show me CBS..."

<thcmns$1n0qk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=400&group=alt.online-service.comcast#400

From: n.n...@comcast.net (leonard hofstatder)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 13:53:48 -0500
 by: leonard hofstatder - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 18:53 UTC

On 10/2/2022 1:02 PM, Boris wrote:
> How do I turn off the suggestion that appears on my screen when I use
> the buttons on the remote to change channels, to use my voice instead?
>
> It's got to be in the Xfinity settings, but just can't find it.

You cant turn off the "spying" device. How will they listen then?

Re: Turning Off "Next time, try saying show me CBS..."

<slrntjllh6.v27.trepidation@vps.jonz.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=401&group=alt.online-service.comcast#401

From: trepidat...@example.net (Allodoxaphobia)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: 3 Oct 2022 12:31:53 GMT
 by: Allodoxaphobia - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 12:31 UTC

On Sun, 2 Oct 2022 14:31:37 -0400, Peter wrote:
> On 10/2/2022 2:02 PM, Boris wrote:
>> How do I turn off the suggestion that appears on my screen when I use
>> the buttons on the remote to change channels, to use my voice instead?
>>
>> It's got to be in the Xfinity settings, but just can't find it.
>
> On the remote, press the "xfinity" button. Use the left/right arrow
> keys to navigate to the gear wheel logo. Press "OK". Use the up/down
> arrow keys to navigate to the "Preferences" selection and press the "OK"
> button. Press the down arrow to go to the "Notifications" selection and
> press "OK". Use the up/down arrow keys to navigate to the "X1 Tips"
> choice and press the "OK" key to change the selection from ON to OFF.
> Press the "exit" key as many times as needed to get out of the entire
> menu tree. (You can also experiment by saying "Notifications" into the
> microphone and see if it takes you directly into that menu section.)

Even if you get "Notifications" turned off, there's no reason to believe
Comcast has stopped listening and recording everything.

Re: Turning Off "Next time, try saying show me CBS..."

<therp5$28gvm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=402&group=alt.online-service.comcast#402

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 10:32:04 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 14:32 UTC

On 10/2/2022 2:45 PM, Boris wrote:
> On 10/2/2022 11:31 AM, Peter wrote:
>> On 10/2/2022 2:02 PM, Boris wrote:
>>> How do I turn off the suggestion that appears on my screen when I use
>>> the buttons on the remote to change channels, to use my voice instead?
>>>
>>> It's got to be in the Xfinity settings, but just can't find it.
>>>

>> On the remote, press the "xfinity" button.  Use the left/right arrow
>> keys to navigate to the gear wheel logo.  Press "OK".  Use the
>> up/down arrow keys to navigate to the "Preferences" selection and
>> press the "OK" button.  Press the down arrow to go to the
>> "Notifications" selection and press "OK".  Use the up/down arrow keys
>> to navigate to the "X1 Tips" choice and press the "OK" key to change
>> the selection from ON to OFF. Press the "exit" key as many times as
>> needed to get out of the entire menu tree.  (You can also experiment
>> by saying "Notifications" into the microphone and see if it takes you
>> directly into that menu section.)
>>

> Oh, using voice and saying "Notification" did indeed take me to
> "Notification Settings".  Cool.
>
> But, "X1 Tips" is off.  I turned it off a few days ago. Still getting
> 'tip'.

Sorry. Try this. Go to your settings, then remote settings. Is your
"onscreen voice suggestions" on? If so, turn it off. Does that
eliminate the nag suggestion?

Re: Turning Off "Next time, try saying show me CBS..."

<thf6hr$29i3h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=403&group=alt.online-service.comcast#403

From: bor...@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 10:35:55 -0700
 by: Boris - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 17:35 UTC

On 10/3/2022 7:32 AM, Retirednoguilt wrote:
> On 10/2/2022 2:45 PM, Boris wrote:

>>> On the remote, press the "xfinity" button.  Use the left/right arrow
>>> keys to navigate to the gear wheel logo.  Press "OK".  Use the
>>> up/down arrow keys to navigate to the "Preferences" selection and
>>> press the "OK" button.  Press the down arrow to go to the
>>> "Notifications" selection and press "OK".  Use the up/down arrow keys
>>> to navigate to the "X1 Tips" choice and press the "OK" key to change
>>> the selection from ON to OFF. Press the "exit" key as many times as
>>> needed to get out of the entire menu tree.  (You can also experiment
>>> by saying "Notifications" into the microphone and see if it takes you
>>> directly into that menu section.)
>>>

>> Oh, using voice and saying "Notification" did indeed take me to
>> "Notification Settings".  Cool.
>>
>> But, "X1 Tips" is off.  I turned it off a few days ago. Still getting
>> 'tip'.
>>

> Sorry.  Try this.  Go to your settings, then remote settings.  Is your
> "onscreen voice suggestions" on?  If so, turn it off.  Does that
> eliminate the nag suggestion?

Yes. There it is. I just turned it off, and we'll see if it works.
Thanks!