From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Ping: J.P. "John" Gilliver
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 00:08:51 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 05:08 UTC

John,

Heads up, someone is posting in alt.home.repair using your name and he
isn't doing you any favors.

Re: Ping: J.P. "John" Gilliver

<f7bo4htpsnb9k3j8jr36ctc0r87bs89oef@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4057&group=alt.windows7.general#4057

From: mau...@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Ping: J.P. "John" Gilliver
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 06:51:52 -0500
 by: mau...@invalid.com - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 11:51 UTC

On Tue, 05 Apr 2022 00:08:51 -0500, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
wrote:

>John,
>
>Heads up, someone is posting in alt.home.repair using your name and he
>isn't doing you any favors.

The trolls have sent that group into the Usenet toilet. You'd have to
create a few hundred new kill files to get rid of the garbage. Sad.

Re: Ping: J.P. "John" Gilliver

<t2hcb9$e1f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4058&group=alt.windows7.general#4058

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 08:23:21 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 12:23 UTC

<maury@invalid.com> wrote

| The trolls have sent that group into the Usenet toilet. You'd have to
| create a few hundred new kill files to get rid of the garbage. Sad.

Yes. I'm surprised that anyone would subscribe to
that group. I did some years ago, as I have the expertise
to be helpful, but even then it was mostly a handful of
cliquish know-it-alls who all seemed to all work as apt
building supers. A wiseacre party around the proverbial
pickle barrel. It is unfortunate. Home repair is a category
where a lot of people can be benefitted.

I joined the Reddit home improvement group awhile back
and that wasn't much better, unfortunately. Trolling is
controlled on Reddit, but at the cost of intolerant
fiefdoms, where petty tyrants sometimes control the
conversation. Not all of the groups are that way, but
many are.

I guess it mirrors life. Without inspired leadership we end
up with cruel anarchy or petty autocracy.

Re: Ping: J.P. "John" Gilliver

<Gpuxd9rbIETiFwpE@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4059&group=alt.windows7.general#4059

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 14:20:27 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 13:20 UTC

On Tue, 5 Apr 2022 at 06:51:52, maury@invalid.com wrote (my responses
usually FOLLOW):
>On Tue, 05 Apr 2022 00:08:51 -0500, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>John,
>>
>>Heads up, someone is posting in alt.home.repair using your name and he
>>isn't doing you any favors.

I guess it was going to happen eventually. I wonder why? Anyway, so far
I've not received any unpleasant emails as a result (in fact not any
emails as a result), or tweets, etcetera, in fact anything as a result
of that activity (this is the first I've heard of it). Is s/he posting
with my address?

>The trolls have sent that group into the Usenet toilet. You'd have to
>create a few hundred new kill files to get rid of the garbage. Sad.

I don't actually take that group: although I like to think I'm
reasonably practical, I wouldn't claim any expertise in most such
matters (and certainly don't have any of the paperwork needed - in UK at
least - to be allowed to do e. g. electrical and [home energy] gas work)

Thanks for telling me, Char. In view of what maury says about the
'group, I don't think I'll worry (or do anything) about it for now.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the war room!" (Dr. Strangelove)